Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Bucs interviewing Dan Pitcher
Kidnap him and lock him up under Paycore till September..  ThumbsUp
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Anyone think Zimmer could come back as DC if we lose Lou? Someone else?
Reply/Quote
(01-29-2023, 12:52 AM)Bengalstripes9 Wrote: Anyone think Zimmer could come back as DC if we lose Lou? Someone else?

I hope not. We’re actually used to having good defenses in the playoffs now. Wink

Reply/Quote
(01-28-2023, 11:15 PM)grampahol Wrote: Kidnap him and lock him up under Paycore till September..  ThumbsUp

I have been screening Lou's calls.
Reply/Quote
(01-29-2023, 12:52 AM)Bengalstripes9 Wrote: Anyone think Zimmer could come back as DC if we lose Lou? Someone else?

(01-29-2023, 12:57 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I hope not. We’re actually used to having good defenses in the playoffs now. Wink

I think I read something recently he joined Primetime’s staff in Colorado anyways.
If we lost Lou and no one in-house was worthy, I’d go after a guy of Lou’s ilk. Even if I have to reach into the upper echelon of college football to find him. A guy who’s attention to detail and technique and “getting players to simply do THEIR job” are top traits. One thing I’ve noticed about Lou’s defenses is they tackle well and stick to their gaps / assignments well. Everyone on defense knows the guy next to them is going to do what’s expected of them, they can just go play. We may not have high sack numbers this year, or INTs.. but damn if they aren’t great at stacking and ripping the ball out. And they never seem to lose their cool and panic. That’s Lou and his staff.
Reply/Quote
(01-29-2023, 12:57 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I hope not. We’re actually used to having good defenses in the playoffs now. Wink

I think the qb play had more to do with his playoff losses in cincy. The playoff games we had, our qb couldn’t move the ball worth a damn. Having burrow makes a big difference.

(01-29-2023, 01:29 AM)The D.O.Z. Wrote: I think I read something recently he joined Primetime’s staff in Colorado anyways.
If we lost Lou and no one in-house was worthy, I’d go after a guy of Lou’s ilk. Even if I have to reach into the upper echelon of college football to find him. A guy who’s attention to detail and technique and “getting players to simply do THEIR job” are top traits. One thing I’ve noticed about Lou’s defenses is they tackle well and stick to their gaps / assignments well. Everyone on defense knows the guy next to them is going to do what’s expected of them, they can just go play. We may not have high sack numbers this year, or INTs.. but damn if they aren’t great at stacking and ripping the ball out. And they never seem to lose their cool and panic. That’s Lou and his staff.

I actually saw a lot of zimmer in Lou when they were talking about bringing him in to interview to be the DC. Attention to detail. Tackling. Secondary coaches first. Good eye for talent and ability to develop talent. Etc.

I don’t blame zim for losing all his defensive players in Minnesota. I don’t think DCs are great head coaches most of the time either. They’re usually solid but not elite.
Reply/Quote
Bengals need to keep Pitcher. Brian loss although tough, would be easier on this team
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(01-29-2023, 02:56 AM)Bengalstripes9 Wrote: I think the qb play had more to do with his playoff losses in cincy. The playoff games we had, our qb couldn’t move the ball worth a damn. Having burrow makes a big difference.

I actually saw a lot of zimmer in Lou when they were talking about bringing him in to interview to be the DC. Attention to detail. Tackling. Secondary coaches first. Good eye for talent and ability to develop talent. Etc.

I don’t blame zim for losing all his defensive players in Minnesota. I don’t think DCs are great head coaches most of the time either. They’re usually solid but not elite.

I think that you need to look at the rushing yards given up in the playoffs by Zimmer's squads. Great regular season coach that was completely outcoached in every playoff game in Cincinnati. I love Zimmer and the respect he earned Cincy's defense, because they truly sucked for well over a decade before he got here, but that's a hard pass.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
According to Ian Rapoport, the Bengals have signed QB coach Dan Pitcher to a contract extension

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(01-29-2023, 10:43 AM)pally Wrote: According to Ian Rapoport, the Bengals have signed QB coach Dan Pitcher to a contract extension

Joe

Reply/Quote
https://www.nfl.com/news/bengals-sign-quarterbacks-coach-dan-pitcher-to-contract-extension
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
Apparently, the Ravens were interested in interviewing Pitcher as well for their OC job

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(01-29-2023, 02:17 PM)pally Wrote: Apparently, the Ravens were interested in interviewing Pitcher as well for their OC job

"F" them, trying to steal our talent. Pitch ain't going to Baltiwhore and that QB nightmare.
Reply/Quote
It’s default new Dey with MB forking out more money in an extension to keep a QB coach….. A QB coach.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(01-29-2023, 05:31 AM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: I think that you need to look at the rushing yards given up in the playoffs by Zimmer's squads. Great regular season coach that was completely outcoached in every playoff game in Cincinnati. I love Zimmer and the respect he earned Cincy's defense, because they truly sucked for well over a decade before he got here, but that's a hard pass.

Stats don't tell the entire story. If the offense gets a 3 and out just about every drive the other team is going to run wild in most cases. 

Yes, they could have been better. But football comes down to which team is putting themselves in the best situations consistently. Defense and offense have to work in unison.

I guarantee if we had Lou's defenses but they were on the field all game because the offense sucked, his defenses would not look so good. Look at how bad his defense was his first year for instance.
Reply/Quote
NFL Network talking heads have been pushing Lou Anarumo as a head coach so hard these days, complaining he has had zero head coaching interviews. Bengals haven't even won a Super Bowl yet and it seems like it's "break up the Bengals" time for these folks.
Reply/Quote
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhBCus3aP9Y

Above is a really good video on our defense. I would hands down take Lou over Zimmer. I think the schemes he runs are perfect for this defense. He's made due with lesser corners with his sophisticated secondary coverages.

In my above post, I was just trying to get the point across that he wouldn't be as good without a good offense on the other side of the ball.
Look at the Super Bowl for instance. Our offense got dominated late and it allowed for the Rams offense to eventually put a drive together to win it.
Or the Ravens game this year. Our defense didn't look good until we got the turnover. Why? Our offense couldn't move the ball.

I don't know if Zimmer's schemes are compatible neccessarily. But he is a good coach. And I wonder if he could replace Lou or if someone else is a better fit for the schemes we run.
Reply/Quote
If Lou leaves they'll probably promote Duff
Reply/Quote
(01-29-2023, 03:47 PM)Bengalstripes9 Wrote: Stats don't tell the entire story. If the offense gets a 3 and out just about every drive the other team is going to run wild in most cases. 

Yes, they could have been better. But football comes down to which team is putting themselves in the best situations consistently. Defense and offense have to work in unison.

I guarantee if we had Lou's defenses but they were on the field all game because the offense sucked, his defenses would not look so good. Look at how bad his defense was his first year for instance.

Time of possession was only lopsided in 2 of Zimmer's playoff games. 2012 and 2014. 2012 was only a 6 pt loss. 2014 the entire offense was injured. Zimmer's problems were that his defense couldn't stop the run, couldn't sack the quarterback and couldn't get turnovers. You can't have all three of those things not happening on your defense in the biggest games of the season.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(01-29-2023, 04:18 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Time of possession was only lopsided in 2 of Zimmer's playoff games. 2012 and 2014. 2012 was only a 6 pt loss. 2014 the entire offense was injured. Zimmer's problems were that his defense couldn't stop the run, couldn't sack the quarterback and couldn't get turnovers. You can't have all three of those things not happening on your defense in the biggest games of the season.

I look at those playoff games and I see our offense scored 10 points in 2011, followed by 13 in 2012, 10 in 2013, and 10 in 2014.
That's an average of 10.75 points per game by the offense. 

The defense gave up an average of 25 points per game. So your point defnitely stands. The defense wasn't very good. 

But let me ask you this:
Do you think if the offense scored 25 points per game the defense would have still given up 25 points per game?

There are plenty of ways to look at it and I think we're both right to be honest. Zimmer's playoff defenses underperformed. 
Reply/Quote