Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Budget FAs You Like?
What are some budget FAs you think would be good for the Bengals to bring in?

I'll start:
Maxx Williams, TE - Williams was considered one of the top TEs in the 2015 draft class. He was very good at Minnesota and was projected to be a good move TE. However, he really floundered in Baltimore, as he totaled only ~500 yards and 3 TDs in 4 seasons. Baltimore just drafted two new TEs early last year and just re-signed Boyle to a 3-year, $18 mill deal. I'd expect Williams is looking for a new home, and he might be able to get back on course in Cincinnati.

Jason Verrett, CB - I could see the Bengals going for a different 1st round CB from the 2014 draft if they wanted to look for a budget option to play nickel CB. Verrett, when healthy, had played rather well, but he has been dinged up a lot in his career. He missed all of the 2018 season due to a torn achilles in TC, but he should be good to go by the Summer.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
RG -Quinton Spain
ILB - Jake Ryan
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2019, 05:36 PM)ochocincos Wrote: What are some budget FAs you think would be good for the Bengals to bring in?

I'll start:
Maxx Williams, TE - Williams was considered one of the top TEs in the 2015 draft class. He was very good at Minnesota and was projected to be a good move TE. However, he really floundered in Baltimore, as he totaled only ~500 yards and 3 TDs in 4 seasons. Baltimore just drafted two new TEs early last year and just re-signed Boyle to a 3-year, $18 mill deal. I'd expect Williams is looking for a new home, and he might be able to get back on course in Cincinnati.

Jason Verrett, CB - I could see the Bengals going for a different 1st round CB from the 2014 draft if they wanted to look for a budget option to play nickel CB. Verrett, when healthy, had played rather well, but he has been dinged up a lot in his career. He missed all of the 2018 season due to a torn achilles in TC, but he should be good to go by the Summer.

If Verrett is considered budget then sign me up. 

I'll go with ..

Randall Cobb 3rd/depth WR. The name will make people think he is expensive but he hasn't been ultra productive recently. I think he is still young enough to add something to this team as depth or maybe the 3rd WR if Ross doesn't figure it out.

Vinny Curry as a rotational DE depth. I think he still has a year or two left in the tank as a rotation player

Deone Buchanon as a Nickle LB. He was a converted safety who can run who didn't quite pan out after a promising start.
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2019, 05:52 PM)Au165 Wrote: If Verrett is considered budget then sign me up. 

I'll go with ..

Randall Cobb 3rd/depth WR. The name will make people think he is expensive but he hasn't been ultra productive recently. I think he is still young enough to add something to this team as depth or maybe the 3rd WR if Ross doesn't figure it out.

Vinny Curry as a rotational DE depth. I think he still has a year or two left in the tank as a rotation player

Deone Buchanon as a Nickle LB. He was a converted safety who can run who didn't quite pan out after a promising start.

I'd imagine Verrett would be budget since he's only played in 25 games (23 starts) over five years. Only 1 game played over the past two years.

Randall Cobb is interesting. Feels like he's been in the league forever but he's only 28 years old. And his role has diminished the past few years. Good one if he stays in the budget category.

What happened with Bucannon? He had 82+ tackles every season until last year, where he didn't even hit half that. I didn't think of him as a budget option because I thought he was in that upper tier, but I didn't realize he vastly underperformed last year.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-07-2019, 06:01 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I'd imagine Verrett would be budget since he's only played in 25 games (23 starts) over five years. Only 1 game played over the past two years.

Randall Cobb is interesting. Feels like he's been in the league forever but he's only 28 years old. And his role has diminished the past few years. Good one if he stays in the budget category.

What happened with Bucannon? He had 82+ tackles every season until last year, where he didn't even hit half that. I didn't think of him as a budget option because I thought he was in that upper tier, but I didn't realize he vastly underperformed last year.

Buccanon suffered from coaching staff change over. They made him a full time starting LB when he made his splash in the league as one of the first hybrid safety LBs. Everyone around here seems to want Williams to be that guy, but let’s go get one of the OGs and use him as a role player.
Reply/Quote
DJ Fluker (OL). Fluker has proven to be a sub-par RT, but played pretty well as a RG in Seattle last year; I'd like to see him in a starting RG/emergency RT role for us (where he would likely be better than Hart). Plus, he's a former high draft pick who didn't meet expectations (i.e., classic Bengals target). I wouldn't mind Spain either -- good run blocker, although not very athletic or versatile. James Carpenter is another option (and failed high draft pick ...) who's a middle-of-pack G and should come cheaper than the other two (but typically plays LG).

Bashaud Breeland or Jason McCourty (CB). Need to shore up the corner position, either of these guys could start in a pinch. Breeland could be very good if he returns to health.

Need a TE, but very few of those out there. Probably better off trying to resign two of Eifert, Kroft, or Uzomah.

I'd also love to see us pick up a coverage LB, but the best ones (Mosley, Wright, Barrett) will cost too much. Even a LB/S hybrid like Adrian Phillips or Deone Buchannon, or a veteran safety like Adrian Amos or Clinton-Dix, would probably be too pricey. Could possibly afford Mark Barron, but he's likely done.
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2019, 06:13 PM)Au165 Wrote: Buccanon suffered from coaching staff change over. They made him a full time starting LB when he made his splash in the league as one of the first hybrid safety LBs. Everyone around here seems to want Williams to be that guy, but let’s go get one of the OGs and use him as a role player.

He's also hurt A LOT.
Reply/Quote
LB - LJ Fort, Perryman, and Jordan Hicks.
WR: Tyrell Williams as a WR3.
TE: Austin Sefarian-Jenkins, Jesse James - Solid blocked. Decent receiver.
DT: Muhammad Wilkerson - Not that we really need a DT.
Reply/Quote
For me: Budget guys:

1) LB- LJ Fort

2) OL-Quinton Spain(G) or Ty Nseke(RT)

3) CB- Captain Munnerlyn

4) TE-Maxx Williams, AJ Derby

5) WR-Chris Hogan
Reply/Quote
QB Sean Mannion
Back up QB with familiarity to HC

OT Ty Nsekhe age 33 
Solid swing tackle from Washington who is having Salary Cap issues

OG Quenton Spain age 28
Has been more solid in the past but is serviceable

OG AJ Cann age 27
Starting RG from Jacksonville.

OT Joe Barksdale age 30
Backup tackle on the cheap

DT Mario Edwards
DT Tyeler Davison
Both would be solid rotational IDL

DT Timmy Jernigan
Had 4 good seasons then a dud last year. Only 26 years old.

DE Ben Menowa
Arizona is going from a 4-3 to a 3-4 so he is looking for a new team. Solid production

DE Alex Okafor
Kinda meh but he should be cheap.

LB Mychal Kendricks
if he avoids jail time but a cheap gamble might pay off.

LB Ramik Wilson
FA LB from the Rams with some coverage skills. Age 27

sCB Captain Munnerlyn
Used to be the best slot corner in the NFL. Now he is just a slot corner.

sCB Brian Poole
Undrafted guy that has been productive in Atlanta. Only age 26.

CB Tyler Patmon
Solid 4th cb from Jacksonville. They have no cap room but we do.

CB Bene Benwikere
Could be an ok return if needed.
Reply/Quote
Bargain FAs? Nope, had enough of them, I want to see a solid investment into a player that's actually good, like a CJ Mosely.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2019, 08:52 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Bargain FAs? Nope, had enough of them, I want to see a solid investment into a player that's actually good, like a CJ Mosely.

Mosley actually will be over paid for what he was. He wasn’t as good this past season as people think but the name is what people like.
Reply/Quote
Cameron Flemming. A natural RT that has played LT on some good olines.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(03-07-2019, 09:03 PM)Au165 Wrote: Mosley actually will be over paid for what he was. He wasn’t as good this past season as people think but the name is what people like.

Really?  You don't get named 2nd team All-Pro, by having an "off year".  Not the Pro-Bowl, that's just a stupid popularity contest, I'm talking about All-Pro, the real team of accolade.  

So, out of say 120 something starting LBs in the league, he's in the top 6-8 of them, and you think that he's not that good?

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2019, 09:11 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Really?  You don't get named 2nd team All-Pro, by having an "off year".  Not the Pro-Bowl, that's just a stupid popularity contest, I'm talking about All-Pro, the real team of accolade.  

So, out of say 120 something starting LBs in the league, he's in the top 6-8 of them, and you think that he's not that good?

PFF #22 ILB who is seeking reportedly the top inside LB contract in football. Yes, relatively speaking he will be over paid. In fact his coverage grade this season was below average.
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2019, 09:13 PM)Au165 Wrote: PFF #22 ILB who is seeking reportedly the top inside LB contract in football. Yes, relatively speaking he will be over paid. In fact his coverage grade this season was below average.

So, when I said maybe we should question PFF in a previous post, you chose to deflect.  Now, you're using PFF as your standing point?  I stand by my earlier statement that we should question PFF's metrics.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MoslC.00.htm

Quote:All-Pro Teams
  • Share & more
    • Modify & Share Table
    • Embed this Table
    • Get as Excel Workbook (experimental)
    • Get table as CSV (for Excel)
    • Strip Mobile Formatting
    • Copy Link to Table to Clipboard
    • About Sharing Tools
    • Video: SR Sharing Tools & How-to
    • Video: Stats Table Tips & Tricks
Year
Tm
Level
Voters2014
2nd Tm

Associated Press
2nd Tm

Associated Press
2nd Tm

Associated Press
2nd Tm

Associated Pre

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2019, 09:18 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: So, when I said maybe we should question PFF in a previous post, you chose to deflect.  Now, you're using PFF as your standing point?  I stand by my earlier statement that we should question PFF's metrics.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MoslC.00.htm

Not sure what the context your talking about, but he allowed 78% completion against him “rating” or not. Is that good?

Is he a solid player? Yes. Is he worth the top contract at his position in football? Nope.
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2019, 09:19 PM)Au165 Wrote: Not sure what the context your talking about, but he allowed 78% completion against him “rating” or not. Is that good?

Is he a solid player? Yes. Is he worth the top contract at his position in football? Nope.

I'll trust the Associated Press' opinion more than an ambiguous ranking service.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2019, 09:22 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I'll trust the Associated Press' opinion more than an ambiguous ranking service.

Writers know more about football? Also, what’s ambiguous about giving up 78% of passes when targeted?
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2019, 09:23 PM)Au165 Wrote: Writers know more about football? Also, what’s ambiguous about giving up 78% of passes when targeted?

Ambiguous is the fact that no one can explain what criteria they use to determine if a player "won" or "lost" a play, weather the good or bad play was a direct result of his actions, or because a teammate failed to do their job properly.  So yes, I will take the sports writers' opinion.  Most sports writers are also sports fans.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote