Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Build your SB Team
Using any Bengals past and or present, build your bullet proof roster that would be guaranteed to win us a Super Bowl. Be sure to include your HC as well (I know who wont be picked Ninja ).

I thought of this yesterday, figured it'd be something fun/different with everyone stressing out over the inevitable. It doesn't have to be 53 men, just your starting lineup(s) on offense and or(if you're feeling lazy) defense.

I would attempt this myself, but I've only been a fan since 2003 and I have a feeling a lot of you have way more knowledge on past players than I.... .....F*** it. I'll take a shot for the offense.

HC: Sam Wyche

QB1: Kenny Anderson
QB2: Carson Palmer (Prime)

RB1: Corey Dillon
RB2: James Brooks

FB: Ickey Woods

WR1: A.J. Green
WR2: Chad Johnson
WR3: Isaac Curtis
WR4: Cris Collinsworth

TE1: Rodney Holeman
TE2: Bob Trumpy

LT: Anthony Munoz
RT: Willie Anderson
C: Bob Johnson
LG: Bruce Kozerski
RG: Max Montoya
"Whose kitty litter did I just s*** in?"

"He got Ajax from the dish soap!"
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2018, 08:25 AM)Takedown Wrote: Using any Bengals past and or present, build your bullet proof roster that would be guaranteed to win us a Super Bowl. Be sure to include your HC as well (I know who wont be picked Ninja ).

I thought of this yesterday, figured it'd be something fun/different with everyone stressing out over the inevitable. It doesn't have to be 53 men, just your starting lineup(s) on offense and or(if you're feeling lazy) defense.

I would attempt this myself, but I've only been a fan since 2003 and I have a feeling a lot of you have way more knowledge on past players than I.... .....F*** it. I'll take a shot for the offense.

Pretty much the same, except I'd go for Ogbuehi at LT instead of Munoz  Ninja
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2018, 08:32 AM)treee Wrote: Pretty much the same, except I'd go for Ogbuehi at LT instead of Munoz  Ninja

Well now don't I feel dumb Ninja

Reply/Quote
You know, I started looking into it and making a list, and then as I hit the OL portion, I realized something as I started thinking "man those players were good".

The players of old are SERIOUSLY undersized to be able to hang in today's game.

Bob Trumpy was a 228 lb TE, Rodney Holman was 238lbs. Anthony Munoz was 278lbs, and while I think he could hang in today's game, it's hard to ignore the fact that Whit has over 50lbs on him, and Tim Krumrie was 274lbs at DT.

Kenny Anderson was 6'2, 212lbs. For reference, RG3 is 6'2, 218lbs.

- - - - - - - - - -

Makes me a little sad when I realize all the old time greats are physically just outclassed by today's era. So realistically, any list you make needs to be almost entirely composed of players from the modern era.

262lbs might have made Bob Johnson a huge dude in 1968 football, but can you imagine a 262lb C in today's game? Going up against Geno Atkins, who is considered small for a DT at 300lbs? Imagine him going up against Haloti Ngata when he was in his prime, tearing through there at 340lbs+. Now the average-sized TEs (Tyler Kroft, 260lbs) are Bob Johnson's size.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2018, 09:12 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: You know, I started looking into it and making a list, and then as I hit the OL portion, I realized something as I started thinking "man those players were good".

The players of old are SERIOUSLY undersized to be able to hang in today's game.

Bob Trumpy was a 228 lb TE, Rodney Holman was 238lbs. Anthony Munoz was 278lbs, and while I think he could hang in today's game, it's hard to ignore the fact that Whit has over 50lbs on him, and Tim Krumrie was 274lbs at DT.

Kenny Anderson was 6'2, 212lbs. For reference, RG3 is 6'2, 218lbs.

- - - - - - - - - -

Makes me a little sad when I realize all the old time greats are physically just outclassed by today's era. So realistically, any list you make needs to be almost entirely composed of players from the modern era.

262lbs might have made Bob Johnson a huge dude in 1968 football, but can you imagine a 262lb C in today's game? Going up against Geno Atkins, who is considered small for a DT at 300lbs? Imagine him going up against Haloti Ngata when he was in his prime, tearing through there at 340lbs+. Now the average-sized TEs (Tyler Kroft, 260lbs) are Bob Johnson's size.

Players in the modern era of the NFL are bigger and faster no doubt..... Stop taking the fun out of post lol

Reply/Quote
(01-09-2018, 09:17 AM)Takedown Wrote: Players in the modern era of the NFL are bigger and faster no doubt..... Stop taking the fun out of post lol

Never!

[Image: spock_logic2.jpg]

Ninja

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2018, 08:25 AM)Takedown Wrote: Using any Bengals past and or present, build your bullet proof roster that would be guaranteed to win us a Super Bowl. Be sure to include your HC as well (I know who wont be picked Ninja ).

Like the lineup, but I gotta say, if you're going to roll with Wyche as coach, you'll need Boomer as the QB.  Sam himself said not very many people could have grasped the language, complexities, and tempo of his offense all at the same time.

I think I'd take Boomer and Kenny as my QBs.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
HC: Paul Brown
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
I'm going in another direction. Players that can get us to a Super Bowl....Offense : Dalton, AJ Green, Boling, DEFENSE : Atkins, Dunlap, Kirkpatrick, Jackson, Dennard, IIoka, ....There were good young D players that came on ....Maybe Mixon and Bernard...Maybe Ross .....Huber and the kicker.....If we can get some blockers in here, I think we can get back to the team that started 8-0 in 2015 and Dalton was in running for NFL MVP.

But in the past I start with Anthony Munoz and Ken Anderson. Max Montoya. James Brooks. Collinsworth, Issac Curtis. AJ Green. Bob Trumpy. Dan Ross. Dave Lapham. Pat Matson. Willie Anderson. Bob Johnson, Dave Rimington. Bruce Kozerski, Whitworth, Dillon, Boomer Esiason, Pete Johnson, Charlie Joiner, Paul Robinson, Atkins, Dunlap, Krumrie, Reid, Browner, Peko, Bergey, LeClair, Reggie Williams, Lemar Parrish, Ken Riley, Louis Breeden, Bo Harris, Wilson Whitley, Eddie Edwards, Glenn Cameron, David Fulcher, Joe Walter, Maualuga, Nelson, Hall, MJ, Casanova, Hube, McInally, Jim Breech. ......The coaches get hard. I would like Paul Brown, Bill Walsh, Forrest Gregg, Sam Wyche, Lebeau all at once. Defense Zimmer and Marvin Lewis with Lebeau. Kim Wood.

I'll put Bengals D Line now up against any in Bengals history. I'm not as sold on the linebackers and secondary but there is talent. This Austin has coached teams to 3 Super Bowls and has worked under Paterno, Holmgren, Urban Meyer, John Harbaugh and Jon Gruden was trying to get him when he signed with Bengals. Like LeBeau he has great defensive back and defensive coordinator experience. I think we will continue to have one of best defenses in NFL. If we can bring in blocking to improve worst O Line in NFL after losing Whit and Zeitler, I think Lasor can get Dalton to Green and this offense scoring a ton of points, but only if we get much more blocking talent. I like Boling, but we need an upgrade at most of the O Line to hope for Super Bowl. No blocking is killing us.

If we get some blocking in here, I actually like this teams Super Bowl chances.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote

HC-Sam

QB- Greg Cook- Healthy
QB- Boomer- Best PA QB Ever!

RB- Brooks
RB- Dillon

WR- Curtis
WR- Housh
WR- Chad JOHNSON
WR- Green

OL- Munoz, Montoya, Brahm, Whit, Anderson

TE- Eifert- When Healthy
TE- Trumpy

Defense- damn ummm 2 Genos 5 Burficts and 4 Fulchers
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2018, 10:03 AM)kevin Wrote: I'm going in another direction. Players that can get us to a Super Bowl....Offense : Dalton, AJ Green, Boling, DEFENSE : Atkins, Dunlap, Kirkpatrick, Jackson, Dennard, IIoka, ....There were good young D players that came on ....Maybe Mixon and Bernard...Maybe Ross .....Huber and the kicker.....If we can get some blockers in here, I think we can get back to the team that started 8-0 in 2015 and Dalton was in running for NFL MVP.

But in the past I start with Anthony Munoz and Ken Anderson. Max Montoya. James Brooks. Collinsworth, Issac Curtis. AJ Green. Bob Trumpy. Dan Ross. Dave Lapham. Pat Matson. Willie Anderson. Bob Johnson, Dave Rimington. Bruce Kozerski, Whitworth, Dillon, Boomer Esiason, Pete Johnson, Charlie Joiner, Paul Robinson, Atkins, Dunlap, Krumrie, Reid, Browner, Peko, Bergey, LeClair, Reggie Williams, Lemar Parrish, Ken Riley, Louis Breeden, Bo Harris, Wilson Whitley, Eddie Edwards, Glenn Cameron, David Fulcher, Joe Walter, Maualuga, Nelson, Hall, MJ, Casanova, Hube, McInally, Jim Breech. ......The coaches get hard. I would like Paul Brown, Bill Walsh, Forrest Gregg, Sam Wyche, Lebeau all at once. Defense Zimmer and Marvin Lewis with Lebeau. Kim Wood.

I'll put Bengals D Line now up against any in Bengals history. I'm not as sold on the linebackers and secondary but there is talent. This Austin has coached teams to 3 Super Bowls and has worked under Paterno, Holmgren, Urban Meyer, John Harbaugh and Jon Gruden was trying to get him when he signed with Bengals. Like LeBeau he has great defensive back and defensive coordinator experience. I think we will continue to have one of best defenses in NFL. If we can bring in blocking to improve worst O Line in NFL after losing Whit and Zeitler, I think Lasor can get Dalton to Green and this offense scoring a ton of points, but only if we get much more blocking talent. I like Boling, but we need an upgrade at most of the O Line to hope for Super Bowl. No blocking is killing us.

If we get some blocking in here, I actually like this teams Super Bowl chances.

Just my .02 but I would take Dalton and Kirkpatrick out. Dre is one of the worst decisions this team has made and Dalton just dosent have IT. Unless our D starts scoring and shutting teams down Dalton may Dilfer one out, but he's not the QB that's going to take this team to a SB.
Reply/Quote
HC Paul Brown
OC Bill Walsh

QB Greg Cook
RB Corey Dillon
FB Lorenzo Neal
WR Isaac Curtis
WR AJ Green
TE Bob Trumpy
LT Anthony Munoz
LG Andrew Whitworth
C Bob Johnson
RG Max Montoya
RT Willie Anderson
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2018, 10:32 PM)Erudite Stoner Wrote: HC Paul Brown
OC Bill Walsh

QB Greg Cook
RB Corey Dillon
FB Lorenzo Neal
WR Isaac Curtis
WR AJ Green
TE Bob Trumpy
LT Anthony Munoz
LG Andrew Whitworth
C Bob Johnson
RG Max Montoya
RT Willie Anderson

Nice! Forgot about Walsh, Imagine him with Zimmer and Wych as HC.
Reply/Quote
HC - Paul Brown
OC - Bill Walsh
DC - Mike Zimmer

QB - Kenny Anderson
QB - Boomer

RB - Corey Dillon
RB - James Brooks

WR - AJ Green
WR - Isaac Curtis
WR - Chad Johnson
WR - Carl Pickens

FB - Jeremy Johnson " Go Ballard High School " lol

TE - Healthy Eiffert, lol

LT - Munoz
LG - Whit
C - Johnson
RG - Max
RT - Big Willie

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2018, 08:59 PM)TKUHL Wrote: HC-Sam

QB- Greg Cook- Healthy

RB- Brooks
RB- Dillon

WR- Curtis
WR- Housh
WR- Chad JOHNSON
WR- Green

TE- Eifert- When Healthy
TE- Trumpy

I'd take Eddie Brown over Curtis all day....people forget how good Brown was.  almost 6200 yards in 7 seasons and retired way too early. Still has the highest YPC in a season with minimum 50 receptions. He averaged 24.0 per catch in 1988.      53 for 1273 and 9 TD's
Reply/Quote

QB- Greg Cook- Healthy

RB- Brooks
RB- Dillon

WR- Curtis
WR- Housh
WR- Chad JOHNSON
WR- Green

TE- Eifert- When Healthy
TE- Trumpy

Pretty much this.  Except I'd add in Bill Walsh as OC and Mike Zimmer as DC. I'd also have Downtown Eddie Brown as a 4th WR over Housh. and on Defense, I'd add in 2 Tim Krumrie's and 1 Takeo Spikes.

[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
Offense: 2-TE sets
Defense: 4-3 man cover 2

OC: Bill Walsh
DC: Mike Zimmer

QB: Greg Cook
QB: Ken Anderson

RB: Corey Dillion

WR: Chris Collinsworth
WR: Carl Pickens
WR: Eddie Brown

TE: Dan Ross
TE: Bob Trumpy
TE: Tony McGee

T: Anthony Munoz
T: Willie Anderson
G: Max Montoya
G: Dave Lapham
C: Rich Braham

NT: Tim Krumrie
DT: Geno Atkins
DE: Carlos Dunlap
DE: Justin Smith

LB: Vontaz Burfict
LB: Odell Thurman
LB: Takeo Spikes
LB: Brian Simmons

CB: Pacman Jones
CB: Deltha O'Neal
CB: Ken Riley

S: George Iloka
S: David Fulcher
S: Solomon Wilcots

K: Shayne Graham
P: Lee Johnson
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote

QB- Greg Cook- Healthy

RB- Brooks
RB- Dillon

WR- Curtis
WR- Housh
WR- Chad JOHNSON
WR- Green

TE- Eifert- When Healthy
TE- Trumpy

Good call on Greg Cook.....what could have been.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(01-10-2018, 10:33 AM)Interceptor Wrote: Offense: 2-TE sets
Defense: 4-3 man cover 2

OC: Bill Walsh
DC: Mike Zimmer

QB: Greg Cook
QB: Ken Anderson

RB: Corey Dillion

WR: Chris Collinsworth
WR: Carl Pickens
WR: Eddie Brown

TE: Dan Ross
TE: Bob Trumpy
TE: Tony McGee

T: Anthony Munoz
T: Willie Anderson
G: Max Montoya
G: Dave Lapham
C: Rich Braham

NT: Tim Krumrie
DT: Geno Atkins
DE: Carlos Dunlap
DE: Justin Smith

LB: Vontaz Burfict
LB: Odell Thurman
LB: Takeo Spikes  
LB: Brian Simmons

CB: Pacman Jones
CB: Deltha O'Neal
CB: Ken Riley

S: George Iloka
S: David Fulcher
S: Solomon Wilcots

K: Shayne Graham
P: Lee Johnson

Uhh Odell Thurman? really.....he needs to come out and insert Reggie Williams.....and Iloka needs to come out and insert Reggie Nelson.
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2018, 07:49 PM)pulses Wrote: Uhh Odell Thurman? really.....he needs to come out and insert Reggie Williams.....and Iloka needs to come out and insert Reggie Nelson.

So, make your own team. I need an intimdating defense, not a "nice" defense.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote