Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Building a sunroom
I've gotten some contractor quotes on a sunroom.

You may have seen my "built an outdoor theater!" thread in this forum. Since I live in Cleveland (lol, only Bengals flag up in the neighborhood), I'd like to try and make it more of an all season area to watch.

In order to do this, we need large glass. The largest picture window glass I've found is 8ft x 8ft. I don't know the price, specifically.

For 15x15'ish SOLARIUM (all glass, including roof) - I was quoted 79K from a company. No, lol.
[Image: straight_eave_solarium_0001.jpg]

For a 20x15ish Sunroom (4 season, HVAC) - I was quoted 50K+. That's also pretty damn high. They haven't broken the quote down yet, but they said the glass is expensive (this one has a solid roof, I said I'd work with them on the glass size if that was a problem).

They're not putting in new foundation, it's still built on footers. I'm wondering if anyone has done a sunroom before and/or thinks I should just get construction plans somehow, get permits, and contract it out as I go. 50K sounds very high but maybe average for an HVAC heat/cooled room? Nervous
[Image: 43325991030_4d39723a8f.jpg]
Reply/Quote
I don't know about the average cost, but I have read from several different sources a sun room is one of the worst home improvement projects when considering return on investment.

My only suggestion is contact a home appraiser in your area for an opinion.
Reply/Quote
I also read it's a bad ROI. I've done a lot of stuff with bad ROI, but I don't really care that much. Of course I'd prefer it had ROI lol.
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2017, 08:36 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: I also read it's a bad ROI. I've done a lot of stuff with bad ROI, but I don't really care that much. Of course I'd prefer it had ROI lol.

You can save cost on glass by going up a few feet with solid paneling, then glass the rest.  My neighbor did it, and it looks pretty nice.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Anything with a glass roof will be unbearable in the summer unless it is under tall shade trees.
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2018, 04:59 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Anything with a glass roof will be unbearable in the summer unless it is under tall shade trees.

I was thinking this as well.  Even floor to ceiling windows would be too much in my opinion.
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
I have tall trees, but I'm probably not doing a Solarium anymore, probably a sunroom. It will still have a skylight or two. Right now quotes are hovering at 35K, without HVAC and flooring. It will need HVAC to stay warm in winter and attempt to stay bearable in summer.
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2018, 10:02 AM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: I have tall trees, but I'm probably not doing a Solarium anymore, probably a sunroom. It will still have a skylight or two. Right now quotes are hovering at 35K, without HVAC and flooring. It will need HVAC to stay warm in winter and attempt to stay bearable in summer.

I'd look at the cost of one of those ductless A/C units for your sunroom vs having to add to your existing HVAC.  Depending on the size, you may even have to add a larger heat pump to handle the load if you go with adding the necessary ductwork.

https://energy.gov/energysaver/ductless-mini-split-air-conditioners

Reply/Quote
(10-31-2017, 07:22 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: I've gotten some contractor quotes on a sunroom.

You may have seen my "built an outdoor theater!" thread in this forum. Since I live in Cleveland (lol, only Bengals flag up in the neighborhood), I'd like to try and make it more of an all season area to watch.

In order to do this, we need large glass. The largest picture window glass I've found is 8ft x 8ft. I don't know the price, specifically.

For 15x15'ish SOLARIUM (all glass, including roof) - I was quoted 79K from a company. No, lol.
[Image: straight_eave_solarium_0001.jpg]

For a 20x15ish Sunroom (4 season, HVAC) - I was quoted 50K+. That's also pretty damn high. They haven't broken the quote down yet, but they said the glass is expensive (this one has a solid roof, I said I'd work with them on the glass size if that was a problem).

They're not putting in new foundation, it's still built on footers. I'm wondering if anyone has done a sunroom before and/or thinks I should just get construction plans somehow, get permits, and contract it out as I go. 50K sounds very high but maybe average for an HVAC heat/cooled room?  Nervous

nice house man
Reply/Quote
Not my house, lol!
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2018, 10:50 AM)Wyche Wrote: I'd look at the cost of one of those ductless A/C units for your sunroom vs having to add to your existing HVAC.  Depending on the size, you may even have to add a larger heat pump to handle the load if you go with adding the necessary ductwork.

https://energy.gov/energysaver/ductless-mini-split-air-conditioners

Yeah, if it's kind of invisible and still gets the job done, I would consider it. My furnace already has trouble keeping the house warm.

I was thinking of more ductwork and a second furnace just for that room to ensure it gets toasty as hell, typically I would say this is expensive as hell but I've been saving for this room all last year and another 5K on top of this isn't a deal breaker. I kind of don't want to spend the money (lol) but I'd like for it to be a temperature controlled room. I could get away for much cheaper in a 3 season room I believe.

I was thinking about radiant heating. If that can really get the job done in winter (not sure), then maybe those ductless mini-splits are enough to keep the area cold in summer. They make tinted glass nowadays (if I do have a skylight, or on the side windows) - but the front windows have to be clear glass (high visible light transmittance).

The room does face the west, so the sun sets and will burn it up. I could always get some drapes (ugly) to keep the room "cooler" and only open at night.
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2018, 07:06 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: Yeah, if it's kind of invisible and still gets the job done, I would consider it. My furnace already has trouble keeping the house warm.

I was thinking of more ductwork and a second furnace just for that room to ensure it gets toasty as hell, typically I would say this is expensive as hell but I've been saving for this room all last year and another 5K on top of this isn't a deal breaker. I kind of don't want to spend the money (lol) but I'd like for it to be a temperature controlled room. I could get away for much cheaper in a 3 season room I believe.

I was thinking about radiant heating. If that can really get the job done in winter (not sure), then maybe those ductless mini-splits are enough to keep the area cold in summer. They make tinted glass nowadays (if I do have a skylight, or on the side windows) - but the front windows have to be clear glass (high visible light transmittance).

The room does face the west, so the sun sets and will burn it up. I could always get some drapes (ugly) to keep the room "cooler" and only open at night.

They make units like that are dual function, heat and cool.  I have a friend that renovated an 1850s house and went with those units. You hardly notice them.

Careful with that radiant heat....uses electric resistance which eats up the kilowatts.

Reply/Quote