Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Burfict.
I need to make a thread about my happiness for him being back.

Against Pittsburgh we gave up 10 points.
Against Cleveland we gave up 10 points.

The team looks so much better on defense when it needs to be. Not to mention, it is awesome having a sure tackler out there who consistently makes plays. Even when he didn't get the statistical number he was still blowing up plays (insert that goal line play where he ripped through the o-line).

Also, maybe a bit odd but Maualuga hasn't really played the last two games either. Interesting.

[Image: tumblr_nmz43uky8c1rtim7ko1_500.gif]

Feel free to support my Film/TV Review YouTube Channel  - Youtube.Com/NaterTot
Reply/Quote
Yeah with him back we seem to have held our own a lot better.

Although playing against 2 injury-riddled teams may have contributed to the low score too...

Not taking away from what we've done defensively, but those are the facts.
Reply/Quote
He seems a little rusty but I'll take it.
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2015, 02:32 PM)anthonyf Wrote: He seems a little rusty but I'll take it.

He is because Duke Johnson was his man on that touchdown. He let Duke cut across the field and get wide open in the end zone.
Reply/Quote
Burfict still has to get his field legs back, so to speak. Sure he's been playing really good for being out for a year ! But the best is yet to come. Give it another game or two and they'll be even better.

Really this team isn't playing it's best football yet, and I fully believe that. I think all the pieces are falling into place for us to peak at just the right time this season.

Kinda scary huh ?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2015, 02:34 PM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: He is because Duke Johnson was his man on that touchdown. He let Duke cut across the field and get wide open in the end zone.
True but look again you will see there was a defender underneath in front of Duke who left his coverage (had to make a choice) due to Manziel scrambling loose.
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2015, 02:39 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Burfict still has to get his field legs back, so to speak. Sure he's been playing really good for being out for a year ! But the best is yet to come. Give it another game or two and they'll be even better.

Really this team isn't playing it's best football yet, and I fully believe that. I think all the pieces are falling into place for us to peak at just the right time this season.

Kinda scary huh ?

Glad I'm not the only. one that feels this team hasn't peaked yet............which is a good thing I guess.
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2015, 02:34 PM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: He is because Duke Johnson was his man on that touchdown. He let Duke cut across the field and get wide open in the end zone.

No I believe that Vinny Rey was responsible for that side of the field and he foolishly went after Manziel even though Manziel had no place to go.  When Rey went flying up that left that side of the field empty for Duke to catch a wide open uncontested TD.  
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2015, 03:29 PM)Stonyhands Wrote: No I believe that Vinny Rey was responsible for that side of the field and he foolishly went after Manziel even though Manziel had no place to go.  When Rey went flying up that left that side of the field empty for Duke to catch a wide open uncontested TD.  

This ^

Vinny Rey broke off of his coverage to tackle Johnny. I can't blame him, as Johnny had just scrambled over and over again to pick up first downs. Either way, Duke was Vinnys man, and he let him free. Wasn't Burfict.
Reply/Quote
It was alarming when someone went low on Burfict (legally) and he came up a little gimpy on the leg. I was worried but he came back in later in the game.

Is this a confidence booster that he is beyond the injury, or is it worrysome that it may still be lingering? I couldn't decide.
Reply/Quote
Did anybody catch the play where Burfict got hit and seemed to be limping afterwards? All I saw was Mack running towards Burfict when the play was more than 5 yards away. Did Mack intentionally seek Burfict out to try and cut block him and take him out at the knees? The play was nowhere near where Mack was going after Burfict.
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2015, 02:51 PM)Curtis85 Wrote: True but look again you will see there was a defender underneath in front of Duke who left his coverage (had to make a choice) due to Manziel scrambling loose.

(11-06-2015, 03:29 PM)Stonyhands Wrote: No I believe that Vinny Rey was responsible for that side of the field and he foolishly went after Manziel even though Manziel had no place to go.  When Rey went flying up that left that side of the field empty for Duke to catch a wide open uncontested TD.  

You guys are exactly right. Was cover 3? And that was either Rey or 51 that came up, Burfict's not responsible to follow a rb across the field in zone.
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2015, 03:31 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: This ^

Vinny Rey broke off of his coverage to tackle Johnny. I can't blame him, as Johnny had just scrambled over and over again to pick up first downs. Either way, Duke was Vinnys man, and he let him free. Wasn't Burfict.

When they showed a replay, Manziel had at least two defenders that would have forced him out of bounds.  That was a terrible decision by Rey and it led directly to a TD.  I know Rey is our leading tackler but he is terrible IMHO.  He is very reactionary and is a pretty poor tackler.  Consistently takes bad angles and he's not very good in coverage.  

Another waste of space on defense is Peko. Just about every big run was when he was in the middle. There were a few where he ran with the blocker who was blocking down and the RB ran directly behind Peko's back where there was a big hole. Peko created a huge hole because he wasn't paying any attention to the ball carrier. No blocker was even touching him he just ran parallel to the blocker and had his shoulder turned away from the big hole he just created. He's garbage in the pass rush and he's usually good for one good play a game and he celebrates like he is some dominate force. Teams know he is our weakness and run it right at him. Who the Heck wouldn't when he's opening big holes for you.
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2015, 03:33 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: It was alarming when someone went low on Burfict (legally) and he came up a little gimpy on the leg. I was worried but he came back in later in the game.

Is this a confidence booster that he is beyond the injury, or is it worrysome that it may still be lingering? I couldn't decide.

What was alarming was that that low block wasn't even near the play.  It was so far away that when I replayed it I could only see the blocker running downfield and make the block off the camera.  I only assume it was a low block as I couldn't see it on camera.  I believe it was Mack who ran about 5-7 yards downfield to find Burfict and dive at his knees.  If that wasn't a cheap shot to injure a player who has a known injury in that area I don't know what is.  
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2015, 03:36 PM)Stonyhands Wrote: When they showed a replay, Manziel had at least two defenders that would have forced him out of bounds.  That was a terrible decision by Rey and it led directly to a TD.  I know Rey is our leading tackler but he is terrible IMHO.  He is very reactionary and is a pretty poor tackler.  Consistently takes bad angles and he's not very good in coverage.  

He isn't terrible, he is just a career backup who has been forced into a starting position for a long period of time. He is a bit of a liability but there could be worse guys to fill in. At least he has SOME veteran experience and gets us lined up correctly most of the time.
Reply/Quote
We may not see Vontaze at 100% this year, remember it took Geno a full year to get his legs back underneath him after the ACL injury.

Regardless Vontaze at 75% is better than half the other LB'ers in the league!
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2015, 03:41 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: He isn't terrible, he is just a career backup who has been forced into a starting position for a long period of time. He is a bit of a liability but there could be worse guys to fill in. At least he has SOME veteran experience and gets us lined up correctly most of the time.

Last year teams ran at will against us.  This year our run defense still isn't all that.  The LB position is definitely our weakest position on this team and hasn't really been addressed for awhile.  Which is sad because MB promoted our LB coach for some reason or another.  Lamur is terrible at tackling as well.  Add in Peko in the middle and we have one of the worst rush defenses in the NFL.  

BTW we are ranked 31st in the NFL on defense for rushing yards per attempt at 4.9.  The only reason why this is not an issue yet is because our offense is basically scoring at will.  When you do this it forces teams to abandon the run early and start passing the ball.  

If we face a top defense and our offense struggles and the opposing team has a half-decent RB we will have a tough time winning that game.  Come playoff time any team we play will most likely have good coaching and they will run the ball down our throats at almost 5yds per carry.  We won't be able to stop it and that will keep our offense off the field.  Remember this post because if we don't improve at stopping the run we will not win a playoff game this year either.  

I was really hoping for a successful Burfict return.  If you remember Bob Sanders was out most of the season for the Colts the year they won the Superbowl.  However, he returned for the playoffs and took one of the worst run stopping defenses and turned it around enough for Manning to get his only Superbowl Ring.  Here's to hoping Burfict can do that.  
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2015, 04:00 PM)Stonyhands Wrote: Last year teams ran at will against us.  This year our run defense still isn't all that.  The LB position is definitely our weakest position on this team and hasn't really been addressed for awhile.  Which is sad because MB promoted our LB coach for some reason or another.  Lamur is terrible at tackling as well.  Add in Peko in the middle and we have one of the worst rush defenses in the NFL.  

BTW we are ranked 31st in the NFL on defense for rushing yards per attempt at 4.9.  The only reason why this is not an issue yet is because our offense is basically scoring at will.  When you do this it forces teams to abandon the run early and start passing the ball.  

If we face a top defense and our offense struggles and the opposing team has a half-decent RB we will have a tough time winning that game.  Come playoff time any team we play will most likely have good coaching and they will run the ball down our throats at almost 5yds per carry.  We won't be able to stop it and that will keep our offense off the field.  Remember this post because if we don't improve at stopping the run we will not win a playoff game this year either.  

I was really hoping for a successful Burfict return.  If you remember Bob Sanders was out most of the season for the Colts the year they won the Superbowl.  However, he returned for the playoffs and took one of the worst run stopping defenses and turned it around enough for Manning to get his only Superbowl Ring.  Here's to hoping Burfict can do that.  

you mean like the pissburg game we won with that terrible defense of ours? Gimmee a BREAK!!!

Reply/Quote
Rascal,
Did you even read the post or did you just not comprehend it?  I didn't pull the stats out of thin air.  They are on NFL.COM for your perusal if you'd actually like to contribute an informed post.  4.9 yards per attempt rushing is bad.  As in 31st out of 32 bad.  Leveon Bell was poised to have a big game against us had he not exited with a clean freak injury.  I'm glad we are where we are and I give all the props in the world for both the Offense and Defense stepping up when called upon.  However, we cannot ignore the glaring hole we have as far as our rush defense is concerned.  
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2015, 05:11 PM)Stonyhands Wrote: Rascal,
Did you even read the post or did you just not comprehend it?  I didn't pull the stats out of thin air.  They are on NFL.COM for your perusal if you'd actually like to contribute an informed post.  4.9 yards per attempt rushing is bad.  As in 31st out of 32 bad.  Leveon Bell was poised to have a big game against us had he not exited with a clean freak injury.  I'm glad we are where we are and I give all the props in the world for both the Offense and Defense stepping up when called upon.  However, we cannot ignore the glaring hole we have as far as our rush defense is concerned.  

it seems the defense is willing to give up some rushing yards in an attempt to keep everything in front of them.
Reply/Quote