Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Burfict.
(11-06-2015, 05:13 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: it seems the defense is willing to give up some rushing yards in an attempt to keep everything in front of them.

Respectfully, I disagree.  Do we play to keep everything in front of us on passing downs in 3rd and long situations...absolutely.  
I believe we are top 5 as far as allowing rushing TDs which is a really good stat.  I just think that we have a few weaknesses as far as stopping the run on the D-line and in our LBing Corp.  
I do believe that with a healthy Burfict and a healthy Maualuga we will improve in the yards/per rush stat on defense.  

Maybe using a 4 man rush 90% time allows QBs to bust out easy 5 yard+ runs when we lose contain and that is skewing the rush yards per attempt stat.  All I know is where we sit with that stat right now puts us at 31st in the league.  This could hurt facing a run first team like Carolina if we get to face them in the Super Bowl.  
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2015, 05:28 PM)Stonyhands Wrote: Respectfully, I disagree.  Do we play to keep everything in front of us on passing downs in 3rd and long situations...absolutely.  
I believe we are top 5 as far as allowing rushing TDs which is a really good stat.  I just think that we have a few weaknesses as far as stopping the run on the D-line and in our LBing Corp.  
I do believe that with a healthy Burfict and a healthy Maualuga we will improve in the yards/per rush stat on defense.  

Maybe using a 4 man rush 90% time allows QBs to bust out easy 5 yard+ runs when we lose contain and that is skewing the rush yards per attempt stat.  All I know is where we sit with that stat right now puts us at 31st in the league.  This could hurt facing a run first team like Carolina if we get to face them in the Super Bowl.  

i know we gave up a huge run vs seattle that definately doesnt help the stat line... And in a few weeks i think with burfict back and Rey M getting healthy we should be able to improve our stat line vs the run.

But its usually the LBers making the stops the DL hasnt been great against the run at least that is how it has seemed to me.
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2015, 05:11 PM)Stonyhands Wrote: Rascal,
Did you even read the post or did you just not comprehend it?  I didn't pull the stats out of thin air.  They are on NFL.COM for your perusal if you'd actually like to contribute an informed post.  4.9 yards per attempt rushing is bad.  As in 31st out of 32 bad.  Leveon Bell was poised to have a big game against us had he not exited with a clean freak injury.  I'm glad we are where we are and I give all the props in the world for both the Offense and Defense stepping up when called upon.  However, we cannot ignore the glaring hole we have as far as our rush defense is concerned.  

shoulda coulda woulda, and yes I did read and understand your post. You are an effin debby downer that's what I understand about you. I live and die by stats, and the ONE STAT that STICKS OUT is 8-0!!! I could care less if a team runs on us. Chances are they won't get that opportunity because our O will keep us ahead! So far so good! Now quit yer bitchin!

Reply/Quote
Actually Football Outsiders DL stats tell an interesting story:

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/dl

LEFT END LEFT TACKLE MID/GUARD RIGHT TACKLE RIGHT END
TEAM ALY Rank ALY Rank ALY Rank ALY Rank ALY Rank
3.16 13 5.70 32 3.78 9 3.76 15 1.99 5

It shows where we are having run D problems up front is not in the middle. It is off Left Tackle which translates to RDE, and thus includes the ROLB. Which lines up with what we have been seeing - it has not been runs up the middle blowing our DTs and MLB up and it hasn't been runs to the left. It has been runs to the right gaining the edge.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2015, 05:11 PM)Stonyhands Wrote: Rascal,
Did you even read the post or did you just not comprehend it?  I didn't pull the stats out of thin air.  They are on NFL.COM for your perusal if you'd actually like to contribute an informed post.  4.9 yards per attempt rushing is bad.  As in 31st out of 32 bad.  Leveon Bell was poised to have a big game against us had he not exited with a clean freak injury.  I'm glad we are where we are and I give all the props in the world for both the Offense and Defense stepping up when called upon.  However, we cannot ignore the glaring hole we have as far as our rush defense is concerned.  

Activate Roach if you want sure tackling and strong inside defensive stopping against the run. Just saying, there're is talent on this team.  But with so many vets and Coach Lewis's approach to playing rookies, you may not see Roach until injuries start occurring or next year.
Reply/Quote
He's still leading with his head.
-That which we need most, will be found where we want to visit least.-
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2015, 05:28 PM)Stonyhands Wrote: Maybe using a 4 man rush 90% time allows QBs to bust out easy 5 yard+ runs when we lose contain and that is skewing the rush yards per attempt stat.  All I know is where we sit with that stat right now puts us at 31st in the league.  This could hurt facing a run first team like Carolina if we get to face them in the Super Bowl.  

The stats are skewed by our propensity to give up long runs.  Only 2 teams have given up more runs of 20+ yards than the Bengals, and FooballOutsiders has us ranked dead last in the league in "open field" rushing yardage allowed.

We are #4 in fewest rushing tds allowed and 10th in fewest rushing first downs allowed.  So it isn't like team are just lining up and running down our throats, but we still need to step up our rush defeense.  
Reply/Quote