Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Burfict Extension
- Controversial Topic -

With the NFL seemingly going to keep suspending Burfict for hits...this time supposedly for 5 games, how does that impact an extension?

On the field, he's the heart and soul of our defense...but he's a target by the NFL. He's going to play hard and it's going to lead to progressively longer suspensions.

Does this mean we sign him to 1 year contracts? Can we afford to give him a large contract and have him suspended for most of the season? He also has concussion issues too.

Does this all mean that we need to start looking for a replacement? (We love the guy...but if he's going to keep getting suspended can we afford to face that.)

Thoughts?
Reply/Quote
I think we'll offer him, essentially, the same contract extension he signed in 2014. 4 year 19 millions dollars.

Maybe it'll be a 3 year contract this time.
Reply/Quote
I think the Bengals need to play it smart when looking to extend both Burfict and Eifert. Eifert has never played a full season and Burfict hasn't since 2013. Therefore, I'd be looking to sign them as if they'd miss, on average, a few games a year. They very well might get more money elsewhere, but the Bengals have to be willing to let them walk if that's the case because there's too much risk involved when it comes to their game availability.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Say Burfict does get suspended 5 games for this hit. How many would he get for his next hit?

At what point does he get suspended for an entire season?
Reply/Quote
Tough call IMO.

Tez is an impact player and as you said, the heart and soul soul of the D. 

However, when you take account the NFL's extremely short (and seemingly targeted) leash with Tez...combined with Tez's own reluctance to avoid questionable hits and tactics, then it becomes a roll of the dice.

Add to that the fact that Tez still leads with his head too often, making him prime for more concussions...I would be very nervous about giving him an extension.

Just my opinion though, tough decision for the Bengals.
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2017, 10:20 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Say Burfict does get suspended 5 games for this hit. How many would he get for his next hit?

At what point does he get suspended for an entire season?

8 games, 12 games, full year.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
The Bengals hold every card at the moment. Burfict once again going to be suspended probably 3 games after the appeal. He's also going through concussion protocols again...They should offer him a decent deal but not at all what he's really worth and let him decide to bet on him having a spectacular rest of the season or has another concussion and another fine.

All that said it's time for the Bengals to look to the future at linebacker. They haven't really added a top talent since they took Rivers (I know underwelming as he was...)
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
There are a number of questions surrounding Burfict. All those already mentioned and his microsurgery. From what I understand it never "repairs" just prolongs the inevitable.

WTS, I would gladly offer him a 3-year extension. A LB contract is not going to cripple (no pun intended) you regardless if he plays to the end of it or not.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Tough call. I like both players but if they can't stay on the field (for one reason or another) then they're not worth much IMHO. With Eifert, it's a matter of when he gets hurt next, not if. Honestly, I like the guy. Easily one of my favorite Bengals. I'd hate to see him walk but I would understand if the team didn't re-sign him.

With Burfict, we just can't win. Honestly, I think it has more to do with him being a Bengal than him being notoriously known as a "cheap shot artist". A part of me wants to see him go somewhere else, play his game, and not receive another suspension for the rest of his career. Maybe I'm being a bit overdramatic but there's a lot of truth to what I'm saying. If Burfict played for Steelers for his entire career thus far, and made all the "dirty plays" he's made with them, the media would be in love with Burfict and praise him for playing "tough, Steeler football" (see: Joey Porter, James Harrison and Ryan Shazier). It's complete and utter horseshit but that's exactly how it is.

With that said, I think we'd be better off letting Burfict walk. As long as he wears stripes, we can count on him missing a few games each year. The league has it out for him. There's nothing we can do about that. It would be better for us and Burfict as well. He may have already established himself as the most hated man in football, but I'm telling you: put Burfict with a team like the Cowboys or Steelers (who I believe would be desperate to bring him over to their side... Watch the once hateful Steeler fans welcome him with open arms Rolleyes ) and if he ever received a personal foul, watch him never receive another suspension. 
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2017, 10:49 AM)Pat5775 Wrote: Tough call. I like both players but if they can't stay on the field (for one reason or another) then they're not worth much IMHO. With Eifert, it's a matter of when he gets hurt next, not if. Honestly, I like the guy. Easily one of my favorite Bengals. I'd hate to see him walk but I would understand if the team didn't re-sign him.

With Burfict, we just can't win. Honestly, I think it has more to do with him being a Bengal than him being notoriously known as a "cheap shot artist". A part of me wants to see him go somewhere else, play his game, and not receive another suspension for the rest of his career. Maybe I'm being a bit overdramatic but there's a lot of truth to what I'm saying. If Burfict played for Steelers for his entire career thus far, and made all the "dirty plays" he's made with them, the media would be in love with Burfict and praise him for playing "tough, Steeler football" (see: Joey Porter, James Harrison and Ryan Shazier). It's complete and utter horseshit but that's exactly how it is.

With that said, I think we'd be better off letting Burfict walk. As long as he wears stripes, we can count on him missing a few games each year. The league has it out for him. There's nothing we can do about that. It would be better for us and Burfict as well. He may have already established himself as the most hated man in football, but I'm telling you: put Burfict with a team like the Cowboys or Steelers (who I believe would be desperate to bring him over to their side... Watch the once hateful Steeler fans welcome him with open arms Rolleyes ) and if he ever received a personal foul, watch him never receive another suspension. 

You mean like some fans did with James Harrison?
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(08-28-2017, 10:59 AM)ochocincos Wrote: You mean like some fans did with James Harrison?

Yeah, pretty much. But their hatred for Burfict is far more intense. But if he does ever sign with them, watch his jersey sell faster than James Conner's.
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2017, 11:02 AM)Pat5775 Wrote: Yeah, pretty much. But their hatred for Burfict is far more intense. But if he does ever sign with them, watch his jersey sell faster than James Conner's.

Well it seems every Steelers offensive player is whining about someone "intentionally" trying to hurt them every game (most recent Martavis Bryant this weekend - http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/20478244/martavis-bryant-pittsburgh-steelers-says-matthias-farley-indianapolis-colts-tried-hurt-late-hit). They magnify every little hit when it's against them but when they are dealing the hits it's just "tough football."

Steelers are hypocrites.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(08-28-2017, 10:23 AM)Bengalholic Wrote: Tough call IMO.

Tez is an impact player and as you said, the heart and soul soul of the D. 

However, when you take account the NFL's extremely short (and seemingly targeted) leash with Tez...combined with Tez's own reluctance to avoid questionable hits and tactics, then it becomes a roll of the dice.

Add to that the fact that Tez still leads with his head too often, making him prime for more concussions...I would be very nervous about giving him an extension.

Just my opinion though, tough decision for the Bengals.

Yep. You definitely get the intent of what I said.

From a risk management perspective...we may be better off just moving on and replacing him. It will depend on how much he costs too to some level.

It's similar to what we've went through with Jones all of these years.
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2017, 10:42 AM)Synric Wrote: The Bengals hold every card at the moment. Burfict once again going to be suspended probably 3 games after the appeal. He's also going through concussion protocols again...They should offer him a decent deal but not at all what he's really worth and let him decide to bet on him having a spectacular rest of the season or has another concussion and another fine.

All that said it's time for the Bengals to look to the future at linebacker. They haven't really added a top talent since they took Rivers (I know underwelming as he was...)

So say Burfict is like yes I'll sign for $6 million a year.

He's 1 suspension away from missing 8 games. Can the Bengals really afford that?

While he was a great undrafted free agent story...he was largely undrafted because of his lack of discipline and it's coming to fruition in the NFL. It's not like he was some D2 find. Every team in the league knew who he was and what he was about and only the Bengals could live with that...but not enough to draft him in the 7th Round even.
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2017, 12:36 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: So say Burfict is like yes I'll sign for $6 million a year.

He's 1 suspension away from missing 8 games. Can the Bengals really afford that?

While he was a great undrafted free agent story...he was largely undrafted because of his lack of discipline and it's coming to fruition in the NFL. It's not like he was some D2 find. Every team in the league knew who he was and what he was about and only the Bengals could live with that...but not enough to draft him in the 7th Round even.

That's the Crux of the situation at the moment even if he is suspended this season he might never be suspended again. Truthfully I'm more worried about his concussion  (one he got yesterday was not leading with his helmet it was his head bouncing off thr ground) With each concussion heightens a chance at another.

As the situation stands right now if the Bengals want him they are holding the cards to really get a great deal on a high caliber player unless he takes a big gamble. But as I said they really need to look to the future because of the concussions.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
Mike Brown needs to send a truck full of lawyers to this appeal. The hit was legal, it should be fought tooth and nail.... otherwise, just acknowledge the fix is in for the Stoolers to win the AFCN. I was watching an interview the other day with Charlie Batch, and when asked about the Steelers this year, he said they would be representing the AFCN in the playoffs. I thought it was just homerism, but maybe he's got the inside scoop....
Reply/Quote
I'd give Burfict a new contract, make his game checks low and give him his main money as guaranteed money. I call it the Brady Contract.
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2017, 12:43 PM)Synric Wrote: That's the Crux of the situation at the moment even if he is suspended this season he might never be suspended again. Truthfully I'm more worried about his concussion  (one he got yesterday was not leading with his helmet it was his head bouncing off thr ground) With each concussion heightens a chance at another.

As the situation stands right now if the Bengals want him they are holding the cards to really get a great deal on a high caliber player unless he takes a big gamble. But as I said they really need to look to the future because of the concussions.

A lot of times the Bengals pick up these guys like Burfict, Jones, Benson, Tank Johnson, Henry, Odell Thurman, etc that have various kinds of red flags...and we fans are like Wow What talent they have. But then, the team has to deal with issues, suspensions, and uncertainty. Plus meltdowns on the field like Jones in the Steelers loss with the penalty.

Granted sometimes they don't act up and are model citizens...but more often than not they do.

Hopefully Mixon is a great redemption story.
Reply/Quote
My coworker is a big Steelers fan and he's going around saying that Burfict wouldn't last 1 year with the Steelers. What a huge myth.
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2017, 12:36 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: So say Burfict is like yes I'll sign for $6 million a year.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but players don't get checks for games in which they are suspended, correct? If so, that $6 million would really just be about $3 million?

Burfict's problem seems to be he either doesn't want or is afraid to lose his edge by playing differently or is just too dumb to realize he's doing anything wrong. Either way, I think the message is clear from the NFL - Start playing safer or we'll take you off the field.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote