Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Burfict Extension
(08-28-2017, 12:57 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Mike Brown needs to send a truck full of lawyers to this appeal. The hit was legal, it should be fought tooth and nail.... otherwise, just acknowledge the fix is in for the Stoolers to win the AFCN. I was watching an interview the other day with Charlie Batch, and when asked about the Steelers this year, he said they would be representing the AFCN in the playoffs. I thought it was just homerism, but maybe he's got the inside scoop....

I do think the Steelers have the best roster in the AFC North atleast at the Top. They have 2 Top 10 players on offense and a great QB.
Reply/Quote
We definitely have the leverage to get him for cheaper than we should. I would love to be able to sign him and Eifert for cheap lol
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2017, 01:42 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Correct me if I'm wrong, but players don't get checks for games in which they are suspended, correct? If so, that $6 million would really just be about $3 million?

Burfict's problem seems to be he either doesn't want or is afraid to lose his edge by playing differently or is just too dumb to realize he's doing anything wrong. Either way, I think the message is clear from the NFL - Start playing safer or we'll take you off the field.

This is the Bengals cheapskate best case scenario! They'll sign him to a $25 million contract and he'll get suspended the entire year and...PROFIT!

Heck - They probably want him suspended!  Sarcasm
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2017, 01:47 PM)rezolve11 Wrote: We definitely have the leverage to get him for cheaper than we should. I would love to be able to sign him and Eifert for cheap lol

I think teams will throw money at Eifert.
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2017, 01:48 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I think teams will throw money at Eifert.

They might. If he's healthy he is an amazing addition to any offense. 
Reply/Quote
I'd re-sign him then hold him out all regular and preseason games. Only let him play in the playoffs where he will undoubtedly get suspended in the first or 2nd round. Then he can appeal which should give him an extra week to play.... or only let him play against the Steelers just to give them something to cry about. Either way I'd bring him back, hopefully the price shouldn't be too crazy since he's a suspension risk and "dirty." Hell if you believe what other fans and the media say we could probably sign him for vet minimum since no other team would have such a "scumbag" on their roster lol
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Hindsight is 50/50 but we seem set at WR with Core and Malone having talent. Rueben Foster could have really helped us weather a Burfict suspension.
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2017, 12:43 PM)Synric Wrote: That's the Crux of the situation at the moment even if he is suspended this season he might never be suspended again. Truthfully I'm more worried about his concussion  (one he got yesterday was not leading with his helmet it was his head bouncing off thr ground) With each concussion heightens a chance at another.

As the situation stands right now if the Bengals want him they are holding the cards to really get a great deal on a high caliber player unless he takes a big gamble. But as I said they really need to look to the future because of the concussions.

I thought they said he passed protocol, and was benched due to his back getting tweaked on the play.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(08-28-2017, 01:03 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: My coworker is a big Steelers fan and he's going around saying that Burfict wouldn't last 1 year with the Steelers. What a huge myth.

If he played for Pissburg he would have never had the first suspension and would be lauded as the single greatest LB in the modern era of football and paid more than every player on their team. 
But of course Pissburg fans are always going to pretend that their players are of only the highest moral character and none of them would ever dream of doing anything outside of the rules.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(08-28-2017, 02:41 PM)Wyche Wrote: I thought they said he passed protocol, and was benched due to his back getting tweaked on the play.

You maybe right but those protocols are completely dependant on how the player answers a few simple questions. There are no actually tests they can run. So most players get away with the more minor ones.

I learned this lesson because of former WVU QB Clint Trickett ( He's also the QB coach on the Netflix series Last Chance U). Trickett talks about all the ones he got away with lol that no one knew about. Concussions are definitely a worry because Burfict has had more than most.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(08-28-2017, 01:42 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Correct me if I'm wrong, but players don't get checks for games in which they are suspended, correct? If so, that $6 million would really just be about $3 million?

Burfict's problem seems to be he either doesn't want or is afraid to lose his edge by playing differently or is just too dumb to realize he's doing anything wrong. Either way, I think the message is clear from the NFL - Start playing safer or we'll take you off the field.
OR the league is fixed and Vontez Burfict is essentially paid to be the leagues villain to make it appear that all other teams only have super duper high quality moral character players and the Cincinnati Bengals only sign criminals and derelicts .. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(08-28-2017, 02:52 PM)Synric Wrote: You maybe right but those protocols are completely dependant on how the player answers a few simple questions. There are no actually tests they can run. So most players get away with the more minor ones.

I learned this lesson because of former WVU QB Clint Trickett ( He's also the QB coach on the Netflix series Last Chance U). Trickett talks about all the ones he got away with lol that no one knew about. Concussions are definitely a worry because Burfict has had more than most.

No doubt to that.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(08-28-2017, 02:34 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Hindsight is 50/50 but we seem set at WR with Core and Malone having talent. Rueben Foster could have really helped us weather a Burfict suspension.

Or a TE instead of a WR or RB if Eifert's tendinitis becomes worse than it's made out to be (or something else happens)...

I swear, if Eifert misses more than a game or two due to injuries this year, I'm gonna say I told you so to all those who said we don't need another TE.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
I see a quite a few people on here saying tough call and such.

He is a great Linebacker for us, pay the man. Linebackers aren't the most expensive players to pay either...

With Eifert you have to take his injury history into account but both of these guys when they are in the game change it our way.

Extend them both, Burfict for 3 years, Eifert for 4 with contingencies.
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2017, 02:47 PM)grampahol Wrote: If he played for Pissburg he would have never had the first suspension and would be lauded as the single greatest LB in the modern era of football and paid more than every player on their team. 
But of course Pissburg fans are always going to pretend that their players are of only the highest moral character and none of them would ever dream of doing anything outside of the rules.. 

It kills me when Pitt fans say the hit on Bell was dirty. WTF how is catching a guy from behind and wrapping him up dirty. Then I think back on all the hits they did on our punter, Rivers, Palmer, Bernard shit it just goes on. I'm just sad we didn't have Burfict 10-15 years ago to flatten that punk ass Ward and knock that shit eatin grin off his face. Damn I hate everything about that team from every player to coach. They are a bunch of hypocrites that can't handle when another team plays them as "physical " as they play.
Reply/Quote