Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Burfict Will Rehab All the Way Through Summer
http://www.cincyjungle.com/2015/5/26/8662427/vontaze-burfict-rehab-to-continue-all-the-way-through-summer/in/8423870

I still think we'll be very lucky if we see him the second half of the season. I think he's probably out all year.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2015, 07:23 PM)BonnieBengal Wrote: http://www.cincyjungle.com/2015/5/26/8662427/vontaze-burfict-rehab-to-continue-all-the-way-through-summer/in/8423870

I still think we'll be very lucky if we see him the second half of the season.  I think he's probably out all year.

I believe he will play this year, maybe from game one. People seem to be taking a very pessimistic view of this whole thing.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
The most important thing for Vontaz is to be 100% when he comes back. Whether it be week one this year, week 8 this year, or week one in 2016.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2015, 07:32 PM)J24 Wrote: The most important thing for Vontaz is to be 100% when he comes back. Whether it be week one this year, week 8 this year, or week one in 2016.

Exactly. This is not an injury or surgery you rush back from.
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2015, 07:25 PM)McC Wrote: I believe he will play this year, maybe from game one.  People seem to be taking a very pessimistic view of this whole thing.

I think it's better described as realistic. It's a very hard surgery to come back from.
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2015, 07:23 PM)BonnieBengal Wrote: http://www.cincyjungle.com/2015/5/26/8662427/vontaze-burfict-rehab-to-continue-all-the-way-through-summer/in/8423870

I still think we'll be very lucky if we see him the second half of the season.  I think he's probably out all year.

Based on what?

Sometimes I don't know where people come up with this crap...
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2015, 07:38 PM)Joe Pong Wrote: Based on what?

Sometimes I don't know where people come up with this crap...

Because it's a tough surgery to come back from. Even though the doctor in the article said he could be ready for training camp, that quote was back in January. Based on where Burfict is now, I don't think there's any guarantee or indication that he will be ready to play at the start of the season. It's general knowledge that this is a tough surgery that some people have not been able to come back from. I also mentioned it later in the thread. But I'll take baby steps for you if you need everything spelled out.
Reply/Quote
Travis Kelce had micro-fracture surgery in October '13 and was full go when training camp opened at the end of July '14. That's about a 9-10 month turn around. Now, all surgeries/injuries are not the same, but using that time table for Burfict puts him back some time around end of Sept/early Oct. so, pup might be a realistic possibility. Get him back for the week 7 game.
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2015, 07:54 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: Travis Kelce had micro-fracture surgery in October '13 and was full go when training camp opened at the end of July '14. That's about a 9-10 month turn around. Now, all surgeries/injuries are not the same, but using that time table for Burfict puts him back some time around end of Sept/early Oct. so, pup might be a realistic possibility. Get him back for the week 7 game.

I think that's more realistic and a safer approach. Knowing how competitive Burfict is, he probably wants to rush it, but the Bengals are not going to let that happen. If it works out that way, I'll be pleased because there's also a good chance he could be out all year.
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2015, 07:54 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: Travis Kelce had micro-fracture surgery in October '13 and was full go when training camp opened at the end of July '14. That's about a 9-10 month turn around. Now, all surgeries/injuries are not the same, but using that time table for Burfict puts him back some time around end of Sept/early Oct. so, pup might be a realistic possibility. Get him back for the week 7 game.

That's probably what the Bengals are hoping for. They might do what the patriots did with Gronk in 2013 to start that season on the roster so he can practice but not play him until October.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2015, 07:53 PM)BonnieBengal Wrote:   But I'll take baby steps for you if you need everything spelled out.

Maybe the "baby steps" would be listing all the athletes that missed an entire year because of this surgery.

I agree it takes a while to recover, but most players return the next year. I don't see any evidence to suggest that he would miss the entire season.
Reply/Quote

Yes, and having a surgery in October is a big head start on the healing process, compared to having it in January.

I'm glad that you brought up the Kelce example, as you mentioned, he was full go by training camp. By the time that Vontaze is ready to go full-go, TC will have long since passed. I just think that when athletes don't get that acclimation period to prepare their body for what is about to come, particularly after a serious injury/surgery, what you get is an unprepared body jumping into the action when everyone else is in physical peak for the year. Kind of like what we had with Geno Atkins, last year.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2015, 08:24 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Maybe the "baby steps" would be listing all the athletes that missed an entire year because of this surgery.

I agree it takes a while to recover, but most players return the next year.  I don't see any evidence to suggest that he would miss the entire season.

There is evidence that some never make it back or do not make it back to their pre-injury form. It's about 75% success rate. Reggie Bush was successful. Chester Pitts wasn't. able to return to form He retired in 2010. There's a long list of basketball players who did not have successful recoveries, and another long list of those who did.
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2015, 08:36 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Yes, and having a surgery in October is a big head start on the healing process, compared to having it in January.  

I'm glad that you brought up the Kelce example, as you mentioned, he was full go by training camp.  By the time that Vontaze is ready to go full-go, TC will have long since passed.  I just think that when athletes don't get that acclimation period to prepare their body for what is about to come, particularly after a serious injury/surgery, what you get is an unprepared body jumping into the action when everyone else is in physical peak for the year.  Kind of like what we had with Geno Atkins, last year.

Whitworth missed the entire 2013 preseason and then had one of the best seasons of any tackle in the league.
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2015, 08:47 PM)BonnieBengal Wrote: There is evidence that some never make it back or do not make it back to their pre-injury form.  It's about 75% success rate.  Reggie Bush was successful.  Chester Pitts wasn't. able to return to form  He retired in 2010.  There's a long list of basketball players who did not have successful recoveries, and another long list of those who did.

I am well aware of all of this. My question is why do you think Burfict will be one of the ones who fails instead of one of the guys who makes it back?

If the success rate is 75% doesn't that means it is more likely that he will recover?
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2015, 09:21 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I am well aware of all of this.  My question is why do you think Burfict will be one of the ones who fails instead of one of the guys who makes it back?

If the success rate is 75% doesn't that means it is more likely that he will recover?

I never said he would fail. I said he might not make it back this year because they will want to take it slow.
Reply/Quote
I expect Burfict to be back in 2016 and probably at about 85% of his peak. That surgery is no joke...he will never be the same.
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2015, 09:21 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I am well aware of all of this.  My question is why do you think Burfict will be one of the ones who fails instead of one of the guys who makes it back?

That success rate is more or less to be back and playing eventually. I'd say it's about a 25% rate that they come back and fully healthy as if they didn't get injured. I can list a number of players that were never the same in the NBA

Greg Oden
T Mac
C Webber
Grant Hill
Amare Staudamire
Brandon Roy

These are just off the top of my head....this injury is absolutely awful. No way to spin it.
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2015, 08:47 PM)BonnieBengal Wrote: There is evidence that some never make it back or do not make it back to their pre-injury form.  It's about 75% success rate.  Reggie Bush was successful.  Chester Pitts wasn't. able to return to form  He retired in 2010.  There's a long list of basketball players who did not have successful recoveries, and another long list of those who did.

The surgery gets a bad rap because of the basketball players that have not come back from the surgery. However, it is not apples and oranges as most of the NBA players that most refer to have had the procedure on the foot which is a different animal than the knee.
Reply/Quote
(05-27-2015, 02:24 AM)CornerBlitz Wrote: That success rate is more or less to be back and playing eventually. I'd say it's about a 25% rate that they come back and fully healthy as if they didn't get injured. I can list a number of players that were never the same in the NBA

Greg Oden
T Mac
C Webber
Grant Hill
Amare Staudamire
Brandon Roy

These are just off the top of my head....this injury is absolutely awful. No way to spin it.

How many of these players had the procedure done on their knee?
Reply/Quote