Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Burfict and Jones Are Across The Street!
(06-28-2018, 07:16 PM)McC Wrote: A couple years go, I did some Uber driving.  Was downtown, had two twenty somethings in the car.  Was a Saturday afternoon in the early fall.  Came up from Second Street on Vine, turned on 4th St, stopped at a light.  Who walks toward us but Homer Bailey.  I say, Hey, that's Homer Bailey.   Both these guys are huge Reds fans.  They both freak out.  We were a couple blocks from their destination.  I say, get out here, go talk to him, say hello, shake his hand, whatnot.

They're both too scared.  I pull over right next to Homer, get out, Hey, Homer, how's it going.  He comes toward me, hand out, Doing pretty good, how bout you? 

We shake hands, I tell him about the weinies in my car, want to say hello, too shy to do so.  Homer walks over to the car, they lower the window, he leans in, shakes their hands, chats them up for a couple minutes, sign several things for both of them.  These dudes were in seventh heaven.  Homer could not have been more of a gentleman. 

The whole thing takes about five minutes, we get back in the car, I take them the rest of the way, they thank me the whole way there, tip me fifty bucks.

As cool as the fifty bucks is as a tip (and the fact that someone actually paid extra for great service), I absolutely love when I hear about big-time athletes that do the little things that makes a fan's day.  Thanks for sharing.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-28-2018, 06:33 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: They're playing the golf course that's directly across from my place!  My parents, brother, and sister all belong there, so they let me go.

Should I go over there and bro them up?!  Should I at least tell them how pumped we all are for the season?!

I'm about to go to the gym next to the country club, so it would be an easy stop off!

I would say the best way to meet them is, hit a high towering draw into them off the tee, they will definitely come say something to you!! You could freak them out by rolling up on them in your chair and ask to play through.... Ninja
Reply/Quote
(06-28-2018, 06:33 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: They're playing the golf course that's directly across from my place!  My parents, brother, and sister all belong there, so they let me go.

Should I go over there and bro them up?!  Should I at least tell them how pumped we all are for the season?!

I'm about to go to the gym next to the country club, so it would be an easy stop off!

I'm sure you will see them at training camp brad.

Let them enjoy their little vacation       

As much as I would love to met both in person...      If the situation was reversed I'm sure i'd love to have my space the few times I could.

Or just be around and if they notice you and acknowledge your presence then converse away. I'm sure they remember you as much as your at Training camp
Reply/Quote
Let them be
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(06-29-2018, 12:18 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: I'm sure you will see them at training camp brad.

As much as I would love to met both in person...      If the situation was reversed I'm sure i'd love to have my space the few times I could.

Or just be around and if they notice you and acknowledge your presence then converse away.   I'm sure they remember you as much as your at Training camp

Hopefully it will only be Burfict he sees at camp. Hopefully Jones is only looking thru the chain link fence to watch it.
Reply/Quote
(06-29-2018, 01:05 AM)BengalFanInNJ Wrote: Now, if I ever get a chance to meet James Brooks, I would run away and shit myself. He's my all-time favorite professional athlete to this day. 

I feel the same way about Boomer.  Never met him, but would love to.

Back in the 80s my roommate was working in a bar in Mt. Adams.   He saw Boomer and went up and asked for an autograph for me.  He told Boomer, "My roommate is a die hard Bengals fan."  "He even went to replacement games"  

Boomer signed the scrap of paper my roommate gave him, "Westy, you went to replacement games?  How could you?? - Boomer #7"

I was so glad I was not there.   And somehow in the multiple moves since then I lost the autograph.

He still is my favorite Bengal ever. 
Reply/Quote
Brad must have got run over while crossing the street.

Reply/Quote
(06-29-2018, 06:57 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Brad must have got run over while crossing the street.

Or he took Fred's advice when he said hi to Adam...
Reply/Quote
(06-29-2018, 07:03 PM)3wt Wrote: Or he took Fred's advice when he said hi to Adam...

Damnit Fred!  :paul:

(those two are like brothers Hilarious)

Reply/Quote
(06-29-2018, 12:18 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: I'm sure you will see them at training camp brad.

Or just be around and if they notice you and acknowledge your presence then converse away.   I'm sure they remember you as much as your at Training camp

Actually, he applied to join the club and it looks like he'll be accepted, so I'll see him around some and get to talk to him.  I'll talk to him like he's a normal person, same as I did Peko when he joined (it's not some snobby, super-rich club full of assholes....... don't get me wrong because there are a few super-rich assholes, but most are just average people).
Reply/Quote
(06-29-2018, 08:33 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: As cool as the fifty bucks is as a tip (and the fact that someone actually paid extra for great service), I absolutely love when I hear about big-time athletes that do the little things that makes a fan's day.  Thanks for sharing.  

Homer is a regular guy and he gave two avid Reds fans a moment they'll never forget.   Before we pulled away I told him, hey, I got room for one more if you need a lift.  He said he was going sown the block, but thanks anyway, shook all our hands one more time, bebopped away.  I think we made his day too.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(06-29-2018, 07:13 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: I wanna meet Icky Woods. I bet he signs some cold cuts for me.

He was at game last year and got photo of him and boy on sideline. 
did not get to really talk to him but bet he would for " the Dog"

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(06-29-2018, 07:57 PM)McC Wrote: Homer is a regular guy and he gave two avid Reds fans a moment they'll never forget.   Before we pulled away I told him, hey, I got room for one more if you need a lift.  He said he was going sown the block, but thanks anyway, shook all our hands one more time, bebopped away.  I think we made his day too.

Thanks for sharing.  I met him when he was a Dayton Dragon.  He was a bit of a "kook"....(Don't even know if that is spelling that right) in that he had a lot of odd regimens before he pitched.  I didn't care if he chewed and spit black licorice all over the mound like that pitcher from the Cubs as long as he could help the Reds some day.  I will never forget his two no-hitters, and although I don't hate them like their football team, I thought it was cool that both came against the Pirates. 
Reply/Quote
(06-29-2018, 07:39 AM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: I want to meet Collinsworth.  I bet he can't spell his name correctly for an autograph.

collinsworth lives in our town of ft thomas..A one jerk
Reply/Quote
(06-30-2018, 10:55 AM)cooper Wrote: collinsworth lives in our town of ft thomas..A one jerk

He fits the stereotypical mold of a Ft Thomas asshole.

I think my old man did work for him and he still owes my dad money (don't quote me on that but I think).
Reply/Quote
(06-28-2018, 07:16 PM)McC Wrote: A couple years go, I did some Uber driving.  Was downtown, had two twenty somethings in the car.  Was a Saturday afternoon in the early fall.  Came up from Second Street on Vine, turned on 4th St, stopped at a light.  Who walks toward us but Homer Bailey.  I say, Hey, that's Homer Bailey.   Both these guys are huge Reds fans.  They both freak out.  We were a couple blocks from their destination.  I say, get out here, go talk to him, say hello, shake his hand, whatnot.

They're both too scared.  I pull over right next to Homer, get out, Hey, Homer, how's it going.  He comes toward me, hand out, Doing pretty good, how bout you? 

We shake hands, I tell him about the weinies in my car, want to say hello, too shy to do so.  Homer walks over to the car, they lower the window, he leans in, shakes their hands, chats them up for a couple minutes, sign several things for both of them.  These dudes were in seventh heaven.  Homer could not have been more of a gentleman. 

The whole thing takes about five minutes, we get back in the car, I take them the rest of the way, they thank me the whole way there, tip me fifty bucks.

Pretty cool him to do that.  Try that with Johnny Bench ...... you'll get the scolding of a lifetime.  Long story - but dude hates fans saying anything to him.
Reply/Quote
(06-29-2018, 01:05 AM)BengalFanInNJ Wrote: That was similar to what happened to me during the All-Star Weekend in Cincinnati a few years ago. It was the Sunday after the game and my friend (Die-hard Yankee fan) and I were walking past the stadium and Eric Davis is there taking a picture with two people. When I was in High School, Eric Davis was my favorite baseball player. Had an authentic jersey and everything. I started to stutter and act like a 12-year old girl meeting Justin Beiber. My friend makes me go over to get a picture with him but at first, I was like "He was my idol for years, what if he's a jerk? I would be devastated!". I was about to walk away and my friend just steered me over and talked me into getting a picture with Davis. He was one of the nicest guys you could meet. I talked to him (rather, babbled) for about a minute, thanked him for his contributions to the Reds and left. I was glad my friend talked me into doing it. I seriously wasn't going to. Still have the picture. 

Now, if I ever get a chance to meet James Brooks, I would run away and shit myself. He's my all-time favorite professional athlete to this day. 

Lucky.....Eric the Red was my favorite too.  I have all of his baseball cards from his rookie through his last year in Cincy by every manufacturer.....had posters, wore 44 in baseball.  Loved me some E.D.

(06-29-2018, 06:49 PM)3wt Wrote: I feel the same way about Boomer.  Never met him, but would love to.

Back in the 80s my roommate was working in a bar in Mt. Adams.   He saw Boomer and went up and asked for an autograph for me.  He told Boomer, "My roommate is a die hard Bengals fan."  "He even went to replacement games"  

Boomer signed the scrap of paper my roommate gave him, "Westy, you went to replacement games?  How could you?? - Boomer #7"

I was so glad I was not there.   And somehow in the multiple moves since then I lost the autograph.

He still is my favorite Bengal ever. 

I met Chris Sabo at Hofbrau one evening.  I chatted him up a bit, told him I was a fan while he was in a Reds uni and how the 90 team was such a great memory.  Then we BS'd about beers for a bit until I left the bar for our seats.  He was a nice dude, and I never bothered him for his autograph or a photo....he seemed to really appreciate that.  He opened up quite a bit when that wasn't the second or even third thing out of my mouth.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote