Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Burfict fined $112K for hits on Steelers
That is a hefty sum, indeed.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000976119/article/bengals-lb-burfict-fined-112k-for-hits-vs-steelers

Quote:In his second game back from a four-game suspension, the Cincinnati Bengals linebacker incurred $112,000 in fines stemming from multiple plays against the Pittsburgh Steelers last week that were constituted as unnecessary roughness. Burfict was not suspended for the hits, however, as was reported Monday by NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Best case scenario for the bengals and their fans. I could care less about his pocket book but hopefully this high a number will make him stop the shenanigans. I have my doubts though.

Tomorrow night is a big night for 55. If he plays clean and takes the game over he can start to change what people are talking about when speaking of him. Totally up to him.

Reply/Quote
He got lucky. The villagers were out with the pitchforks, but somehow he managed to slip out of town. Hopefully that $112k stings enough to make a damn impression on him.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
Why the exceptional fines? There were no flags on the plays. Clearly the officials have had him in their crosshairs for years.

I would have no issues, if the league released a lengthy list of every player that committed brutal acts that weren't penalized, but fined them for their actions because "a closer look at the game film showed something we don't like". This isn't an objective administration of the rules, but rather a very subjective targeting of a particular individual that big market teams don't like, simply because he doesn't play for them.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
The conspiracy theorist in me wonders if any player really gets fined,or is just a storyline from the nfl lol. If it is real then they are really out for vontaze. The fans just want him gone or off the bengals. I dont see how we pass up a high round linebacker next year. Vontaze isnt going to be here much longer.
Reply/Quote
He's just doing charity work. He should have plaques for how much fine money he has donated to needy causes. He's not a thug, he's a humanitarian.

When the question is will a guy ever figure it out, sometimes the answer is never. He's doing what his DNA tells him to do. He's just being who he is and it might just be that he's incapable of change or just plain unwilling. He doesn't seem cut out for today's kinder, gentler NFL. Ten years ago, he would have been a god.

What pisses me off the most is the league having this fluctuating standard. If he didn't play the Steelers twice a year, this would be a whole different narrative. They feared him right from the start. You can always tell who they fear/respect. It's the guy they're trying hardest to take out. Head shots to AJ and Eifert, Palmer's knee, etc. I remember watching one of the Steeler games and it seemed like DeCastro had one assignment, to hit 55 in the knee.

And the ankle twisting and ball punching, anybody really think he's the only one. He just got caught. And who knows what he might have been reacting to.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Who else got fines after "A closer look"?

All the others drew flags
Reply/Quote
Ah, so they DO fine him. I take back my previous comment on the other Burfict post then. Still think it's a little ridiculous.

Do they always watch every game after the fact and add fines for everyone? Or is this something they do JUST for players in question (James Harrison, Burfict, etc.).... seems a bit excessive.
Reply/Quote
He is our most valuable defensive player.The sports media try to stir things up even more than what they are.They love drama.It ups their ratings.He’s a leader,and a good one.I don’t agree with everything he does and says,But when he’s in game shape,,,he’s hard to beat!
Reply/Quote
Has it ever taken this long for the NFL to give out a fine? One day before the next game?
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
What's the odds that Burfict would have gotten any fines at all for unflagged plays if the Steelers didn't take to the media and social media to whip up a zero-self-awareness outragefest?

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(10-20-2018, 10:06 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: What's the odds that Burfict would have gotten any fines at all for unflagged plays if the Steelers didn't take to the media and social media to whip up a zero-self-awareness outragefest?

One further, what are the odds he gets fined if he was a steeler? Zero point zero. He’d be a hero. A “throwback” player. They’d show Lambert highlights to compare. It’s a joke.
Reply/Quote
(10-20-2018, 10:24 PM)StoneTheCrow Wrote: One further, what are the odds he gets fined if he was a steeler? Zero point zero. He’d be a hero. A “throwback” player. They’d show Lambert highlights to compare. It’s a joke.

And I am not even necessarily defending Burfict. He's a dirty player and I will freely admit that. That said, I refuse to properly condemn him until everyone is held to an equal standard rather than just picking-and-choosing which team/players to focus the league's attention and discipline on.

Not to mention as long as the Steelers keep getting free passes with their Shaziers/Mitchells/etc, the Bengals need someone who is capable/willing to give them a bit of their own medicine.

While Burfict pisses me off at times, the idea of going back to the days where they wreck Palmer's knee, break Rivers/Huber's jaws, and we just have to take it like a bunch of Bs while the media praises the Steelers for playing toughnose football.... that's unbearable. Even if they keep praising the Steelers and villify the Bengals, at least there is some payback and it's not a one-sided abusing of Bengals players (though it's still a one-sided abusing of Bengals record, because Marvin is shit).

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Over 4.6 million lost at this point. Mrs. Burfict is probably more pissed at him than anybody. Lol

Reply/Quote
Oh well. Not my money and who am I to tell vontaze how to spend his?
Reply/Quote
(10-20-2018, 08:26 PM)McC Wrote: He's just doing charity work.  He should have plaques for how much fine money he has donated to needy causes.  He's not a thug, he's a humanitarian.

When the question is will a guy ever figure it out, sometimes the answer is never.   He's doing what his DNA tells him to do.  He's just being who he is and it might just be that he's incapable of change or just plain unwilling.  He doesn't seem cut out for today's kinder, gentler NFL.  Ten years ago, he would have been a god.  

What pisses me off the most is the league having this fluctuating standard.   If he didn't play the Steelers twice a year, this would be a whole different narrative.  They feared him right from the start.  You can always tell who they fear/respect.  It's the guy they're trying hardest to take out.  Head shots to AJ and Eifert, Palmer's knee, etc.  I remember watching one of the Steeler games and it seemed like DeCastro had one assignment, to hit 55 in the knee.  

And the ankle twisting and ball punching, anybody really think he's the only one.  He just got caught.  And who knows what he might have been reacting to.

So freaking true. Burfict could be a 49er next year and suddenly he'll disappear from the headlines. The Steelers are stirring the powerful media pot, and eventually we'll be forced to let him go. I also believe 100% that they targeted Palmer, Eifert and even Keith Rivers (even though Rivers wound up not being a difference maker).

I've been waiting for them to target Mixon. Surprised Chad and AJ have escaped (mostly) unscathed.

(10-20-2018, 10:06 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: What's the odds that Burfict would have gotten any fines at all for unflagged plays if the Steelers didn't take to the media and social media to whip up a zero-self-awareness outragefest?

Like I said last week, the Steelers keep Burfict's name in the headlines for a reason. They know they'll eventually force Goodell's hand. That organization has a lot of sway, and they know it. As much as it pains me to say that.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(10-20-2018, 11:09 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: And I am not even necessarily defending Burfict. He's a dirty player and I will freely admit that. That said, I refuse to properly condemn him until everyone is held to an equal standard rather than just picking-and-choosing which team/players to focus the league's attention and discipline on.

Not to mention as long as the Steelers keep getting free passes with their Shaziers/Mitchells/etc, the Bengals need someone who is capable/willing to give them a bit of their own medicine.

While Burfict pisses me off at times, the idea of going back to the days where they wreck Palmer's knee, break Rivers/Huber's jaws, and we just have to take it like a bunch of Bs while the media praises the Steelers for playing toughnose football.... that's unbearable. Even if they keep praising the Steelers and villify the Bengals, at least there is some payback and it's not a one-sided abusing of Bengals players (though it's still a one-sided abusing of Bengals record, because Marvin is shit).

That's 100% where I'm at. Yeah he's dirty, but tbh I don't care until the standards are enforced equally across the board.

And yes, Burfict has been our "equalizer". They hurt our guys, their guys get hurt. For 10+ years (maybe 30+ if you go back to Kenny) this has been a one-sided affair as far as dirty play. I don't know about everyone else on here, but I was sick of it.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Mike Brown should slip him a few hundred grand under the table for his trouble. Who knows? Perhaps he does.......
Reply/Quote
(10-20-2018, 07:46 PM)The Real Deal Wrote: Best case scenario for the bengals and their fans. I could care less about his pocket book but hopefully this high a number will make him stop the shenanigans. I have my doubts though.

Tomorrow night is a big night for 55. If he plays clean and takes the game over he can start to change what people are talking about when speaking of him. Totally up to him.

What Shenanigans are you talking about??? He did nothing to get fined but have the name Burfict on his back.
 The NFL is the most hypocritical business I have ever seen in my life. They will say "Burfict has no place in the game; Dirty play blah blah blah... Then they will put Steelers/Bengals as game of the week and use the same thing as a story line to sell it.

If you want to pull this bs and say Burfict is dirty, fine but then take all of the hall of fame busts of dirty players down then and dont celebrate them anymore. There will be no Steeler defensive players left, or the Raiders for that matter.

The biggest hypocritical moment will come when Whines Hard gets in. They will show highlights of every cowardly blind sided block he has ever done and grovel at him like he was Jerry Rice.
Reply/Quote
Very few things bother me these days, especially what some piss ant team from Western Pennsylvania does, or thinks it does. Now we definitely have the league being manipulated by such worm sweat. A new high in lows. Wouldn't want to miss congratulating the sports media either. Stellar job by them too! I doubt if any sort of massive, pro-Bengal public reaction will stop this nonsense. Welcome to the 'new 'NFL', where reality and fiction combine for the betterment of the few, or the one. I miss professional football.
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote