Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Burfict fined $112K for hits on Steelers
(10-20-2018, 11:27 PM)Lionel Hutz Wrote: Oh well. Not my money and who am I to tell vontaze how to spend his?

I don't know...maybe someone that wants to see him help his team? 

The fines won't matter and it doesn't matter that he isn't a steeler and he isn't playing in the 60s.  He plays for the Bengals in today's NFL and he simply can't change his habits.  It will likely cost him his career in the NFL this season.  Sad. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
If I were Burfict, I would be hiring an attorney and taking the NFL to court over some of these bs fines and suspensions. Sure, some of them are deserved, but a lot of them aren't. I'd like to see the NFL defend their position in court on why he is fined and suspended for things other players get cheered for. And since they are taking his money, he has standing to bring a suit.
Reply/Quote
Here were two other hits that got fined this week... much more deserved than Burfict IMO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HblpU1IVkkI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhFFs0sUYbY
Reply/Quote
The more and more I see of the NFL these days it reminds me of Pro-Wrestling.

Good guys, bad guys, cherished seasoned vets.

We just need to accept the fact VB is the league villain and the NFL loves to stir the pot.

Oh the drama...   Yawn
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2018, 10:27 AM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Here were two other hits that got fined this week... much more deserved than Burfict IMO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HblpU1IVkkI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhFFs0sUYbY

Nothing wrong with the hit on Cooper.

Reply/Quote
(10-21-2018, 10:43 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: Nothing wrong with the hit on Cooper.

Yeah he didnt have much of a choice there in how to tackle. He went lower with head to side for a hit to body, but Cooper also went low to try to make catch. It isn't as if Cooper was already getting tackled by a couple of players only to have a 3rd defender come in from opposite angle trying to lay an elbow to his head.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(10-21-2018, 10:50 AM)Millhouse Wrote: Yeah he didnt have much of a choice there in how to tackle. He went lower with head to side for a hit to body, but Cooper also went low to try to make catch. It isn't as if Cooper was already getting tackled by a couple of players only to have a 3rd defender come in from opposite angle trying to lay an elbow to his head.

Guys do that hit a guy already on the ground thing on damn near every play.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(10-21-2018, 12:39 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: That's 100% where I'm at. Yeah he's dirty, but tbh I don't care until the standards are enforced equally across the board.

And yes, Burfict has been our "equalizer". They hurt our guys, their guys get hurt. For 10+ years (maybe 30+ if you go back to Kenny) this has been a one-sided affair as far as dirty play. I don't know about everyone else on here, but I was sick of it.

Pitt has a dirty/cheater play reputation around the league with other teams to. So it isn't just us that think this.

But what makes all of this worse is the fact that the Bengals hardly beat the Steelers. Marvin's teams have been pretty much owned by them, and it isn't because of the Steelers' dirty play, other than the 2005 playoff game, which was the biggest of them all. And then 10 years later the closest the Bengals came to a playoff win, it was a Bengals dirty hit that was part of the Bengals meltdown that began with Hill's fumble.

If Bengals had better success against the Steelers under Marvin while winning playoff games, while also maybe having the balls to call them out for some of their shit they have pulled over the years instead of saying 'its football', maybe the league would take more notice of them. 
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(10-21-2018, 11:10 AM)Millhouse Wrote: Pitt has a dirty/cheater play reputation around the league with other teams to. So it isn't just us that think this.

But what makes all of this worse is the fact that the Bengals hardly beat the Steelers. Marvin's teams have been pretty much owned by them, and it isn't because of the Steelers' dirty play, other than the 2005 playoff game, which was the biggest of them all. And then 10 years later the closest the Bengals came to a playoff win, it was a Bengals dirty hit that was part of the Bengals meltdown that began with Hill's fumble.

If Bengals had better success against the Steelers under Marvin while winning playoff games, while also maybe having the balls to call them out for some of their shit they have pulled over the years instead of saying 'its football', maybe the league would take more notice of them. 

I don't know how much Marv complains to the league. I seem to remember reading or hearing something in the past that he sent/sends video to the league of things that were missed. 

I do know that i was watching some Bengals show after the news last night and he was breaking down some film and he kept pointing out defenders that were holding and he said something along the lines of, "another blatant hold, but we don't get any calls". 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
Just got a notification that Burfict has been warned by the league that he will be suspended the next time he has an infraction.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2018, 01:04 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Just got a notification that Burfict has been warned by the league that he will be suspended the next time he has an infraction.

Good. Maybe next suspension we can void his contract
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2018, 01:19 PM)N_B Wrote: Good.  Maybe next suspension we can void his contract

Not likely.....Mike Brown complained to the league office about Burfict fines

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/10/21/bengals-owner-mike-brown-strongly-objected-to-vontaze-burfict-fine/

Bengals owner Mike Brown strongly objected to Vontaze Burfict fine

Posted by Mike Florio on October 21, 2018, 12:35 PM EDT
[Image: gettyimages-841362422-e1540139716967.jpg...316&crop=1]
Getty Images

The NFL opted not to suspend Bengals linebacker Vontaze Burfict for fear of the reaction to having the punishment overturned on appeal. The $112,000 fine imposed on Burfict still provoked a strong reaction from the Bengals.
Per a league source, Bengals owner Mike Brown expressed to the league office in very specific and pointed terms his strenuous objection to the decision to punish Burfict in any way for lowering his helmet to hit Steelers running back James Conner and for putting a forearm in the helmet of Steelers receiver Antonio Brown.
Brown called the fine unfair and excessive, and he accused the league of improperly imposing discipline in situations where no fouls were called. (Neither infraction drew a flag.)
The Bengals owner also said that he has a significant disagreement with the league office on making the game safer, and that he believes the league’s approach hurts the game and makes it less attractive to fans.
It’s an example of the many different and divergent opinions and viewpoints the league constantly finds itself trying to navigate. The Steelers (and others) wanted Burfict to be suspended, and the Bengals don’t even want him to lose a penny for his behavior.
Either way, he’ll lose more than a penny if he does it again. The league has warned him that the new violation will result in a suspension.

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(10-21-2018, 01:42 PM)pally Wrote: Not likely.....Mike Brown complained to the league office about Burfict fines

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/10/21/bengals-owner-mike-brown-strongly-objected-to-vontaze-burfict-fine/

Bengals owner Mike Brown strongly objected to Vontaze Burfict fine

Posted by Mike Florio on October 21, 2018, 12:35 PM EDT
[Image: gettyimages-841362422-e1540139716967.jpg...316&crop=1]

Getty Images

The NFL opted not to suspend Bengals linebacker Vontaze Burfict for fear of the reaction to having the punishment overturned on appeal. The $112,000 fine imposed on Burfict still provoked a strong reaction from the Bengals.
Per a league source, Bengals owner Mike Brown expressed to the league office in very specific and pointed terms his strenuous objection to the decision to punish Burfict in any way for lowering his helmet to hit Steelers running back James Conner and for putting a forearm in the helmet of Steelers receiver Antonio Brown.
Brown called the fine unfair and excessive, and he accused the league of improperly imposing discipline in situations where no fouls were called. (Neither infraction drew a flag.)
The Bengals owner also said that he has a significant disagreement with the league office on making the game safer, and that he believes the league’s approach hurts the game and makes it less attractive to fans.
It’s an example of the many different and divergent opinions and viewpoints the league constantly finds itself trying to navigate. The Steelers (and others) wanted Burfict to be suspended, and the Bengals don’t even want him to lose a penny for his behavior.
Either way, he’ll lose more than a penny if he does it again. The league has warned him that the new violation will result in a suspension.
It's a crock.  It's all a crock.  And no one even tries to hide the collusion any more.  The Steelers weep and cry and get their way.  And I keep getting that much closer to giving up on NFL football altogether.

All the professional leagues seemingly go out of their way to turn off fans.  MLB allowing titles to be bought, NBA just as bad, allowing all star teams to be assembled.  The NFL selectively applying rules, cow towing to the Steelers at every turn.  They all suck.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
(10-21-2018, 01:19 PM)N_B Wrote: Good.  Maybe next suspension we can void his contract

Sure.  We can win with no decent LB's.   You obviously drew the brilliant conclusion that MB complaining to the league about the fines shows just how anxious he is to get rid of him.

Reply/Quote
(10-21-2018, 01:51 PM)McC Wrote: Sure.  We can win with no decent LB's.   You obviously drew the brilliant conclusion that MB complaining to the league about the fines shows just how anxious he is to get rid of him.

Yeah, I was just thinking recently I wish we could see more of Hardy Nickerson Jr!

Reply/Quote
(10-21-2018, 02:00 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Yeah, I was just thinking recently I wish we could see more of Hardy Nickerson Jr!

Hey, his dad was good.

Reply/Quote
(10-21-2018, 01:51 PM)McC Wrote: Sure.  We can win with no decent LB's.   You obviously drew the brilliant conclusion that MB complaining to the league about the fines shows just how anxious he is to get rid of him.

He’s not that good any more. 2013-2015 Tez was fantastic. He was bad vs Pittsburgh

And I think if you’re agreeing with any decision or thought Mike Brown has, you’re probably in the wrong.
Reply/Quote
And if the next step is fining owners for player infractions, then no way is Vontaze around here long. Whether that starts happening though is up for debate, but it’s clear that regardless of what we think, the league has basically made is clear they don’t want Burfict in the league and are basically at wits end up with how deal with him
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2018, 02:30 PM)N_B Wrote: He’s not that good any more.  2013-2015 Tez was fantastic.  He was bad vs Pittsburgh

And I think if you’re agreeing with any decision or thought Mike Brown has, you’re probably in the wrong.
What a goofy thing to say.  You're not worth talking to.

Reply/Quote
(10-21-2018, 02:38 PM)McC Wrote: What a goofy thing to say.  You're not worth talking to.

Goofy? The guy inherited a team from his father. Have the city one of the worst professional sports records in any of the four major sports in the 90s. Hasn’t won one playoff game while owning the team. Only started winning when he reliquinshed some control to his daughter and Marvin.

You support anything Mike brown has done? What are his accomplishments besides being born in home plate and somehow winding up with a triple? Is your head in the sand?
Reply/Quote