Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Burfict opens up about Marvin being the defensive coordinator
He brought his own littler flavor, energy, making everybody accountable and making sure everybody knows the defense. He’s a defensive guy … His game plan is what we need. It’s not so much back to basics. It’s what we run. It’s our bread-and-butter. Everybody knows it.”

https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2018/11/17/vontaze-burfict-opens-up-marvin-lewis-taking-over-defensive-coordinator/
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2018, 02:42 PM)Trademark Wrote: He brought his own littler flavor, energy, making everybody accountable and making sure everybody knows the defense. He’s a defensive guy … His game plan is what we need. It’s not so much back to basics. It’s what we run. It’s our bread-and-butter. Everybody knows it.”

https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2018/11/17/vontaze-burfict-opens-up-marvin-lewis-taking-over-defensive-coordinator/

Did Burfict mention anything about his poor tackling? Whatever
Reply/Quote
It would be so sweet if he could turn this D around, fingers crossed.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
After my shock and dismay after hearing Marv would be running the defence, I'm actually starting to get my hopes up!!!!
Yes I know i'm going to be let down with a huge bump but I have been supporting the Scottish national football (soccer) team for 40 odd years so i'm used to getting let down
Reply/Quote
Burfict can say only positive things about Marvin Lewis anyway.

If it weren't for Marvin's belief in him he might not have been in the NFL.

Lewis even had to convince Zimmer on his worth.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2018, 07:53 PM)JWW1971 Wrote: After my shock and dismay after hearing Marv would be running the defence, I'm actually starting to get my hopes up!!!!
Yes I know i'm going to be let down with a huge bump but I have been supporting the Scottish national football (soccer) team for 40 odd years so i'm used to getting let down

I feel your pain.  I roll from one losing team to the next, season after season.   The sports may change but the outcome never does  Sad
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
What gets me about all these articles is the fact that they are about to play their 9th game and yet they don’t know the defense? How bad or non-chalant must Austin have been for these players to not know their assignments or where to be on the field. It’s mind blowing I can’t wrap my head around it.
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2018, 02:42 PM)Trademark Wrote: He brought his own littler flavor, energy, making everybody accountable and making sure everybody knows the defense. He’s a defensive guy … His game plan is what we need. It’s not so much back to basics. It’s what we run. It’s our bread-and-butter. Everybody knows it.”

I seen at the bottom of that article that Kroger is selling asparagus at $1.99 a pound. Heading to Kroger!

Reply/Quote
(11-17-2018, 08:47 PM)thompson19osu Wrote: What gets me about all these articles is the fact that they are about to play their 9th game and yet they don’t know the defense? How bad or non-chalant must Austin have been for these players to not know their assignments or where to be on the field. It’s mind blowing I can’t wrap my head around it.

It's a little mind-blowing that people are so hyped that a guy who hand-picked Austin to be his DC and maybe even eventual replacement is taking over the defense.
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2018, 09:56 PM)Nately120 Wrote: It's a little mind-blowing that people are so hyped that a guy who hand-picked Austin to be his DC and maybe even eventual replacement is taking over the defense.

Outlook is bleak. I’m thinking we go 8-8. Split with the Browns, beat the lowly Raiders, and win a meaningless game in Pitt when they have the division locked and rest their starters.
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2018, 08:10 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Burfict can say only positive things about Marvin Lewis anyway.

If it weren't for Marvin's belief in him he might not have been in the NFL.

Lewis even had to convince Zimmer on his worth.

I feel you are right about his loyalty to Marvin.

I also think he would be in NFL whether Bengals signed him or not. It's not as extreme of a case as Lael Collins, but it's similar in circumstance and outcome.
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2018, 09:58 PM)thompson19osu Wrote: Outlook is bleak. I’m thinking we go 8-8. Split with the Browns, beat the lowly Raiders, and win a meaningless game in Pitt when they have the division locked and rest their starters.

I think we still make the 6th seed and roll the dice in the playoffs, but I'm very sure we are going to look better on defense because we are going to do much better against our soft schedule going forward and people will declare victory and slap themselves for not realizing the answer to our defensive woes has been in the building since 2002.

I'd have more faith in Marvin's ability to DC if he tossed Austin aside during the bye and showed us what he could do vs the Saints.  Did we really need one more game of Austin vs an insane offense to show us he wasn't fit to be here?  I'm already waiting for us to beat the toothless Raiders offense into the turf and people to call for Hue to be the HC and Marvin to be the DC/GM.
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2018, 10:03 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I think we still make the 6th seed and roll the dice in the playoffs, but I'm very sure we are going to look better on defense because we are going to do much better against our soft schedule going forward and people will declare victory and slap themselves for not realizing the answer to our defensive woes has been in the building since 2002.

I'd have more faith in Marvin's ability to DC if he tossed Austin aside during the bye and showed us what he could do vs the Saints.  Did we really need one more game of Austin vs an insane offense to show us he wasn't fit to be here?  I'm already waiting for us to beat the toothless Raiders offense into the turf and people to call for Hue to be the HC and Marvin to be the DC/GM.

I agree. The barometer will be how the Team does against Chargers, Steelers, Denver and Baltimore.
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2018, 09:00 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: I seen at the bottom of that article that Kroger is selling asparagus at $1.99 a pound. Heading to Kroger!

Eat it up, bro.  It's good for you (or so they say), in fact you can go ahead and buy the section out.   Ninja

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Someone tweeted during the OSU-Maryland game that "even Teryl Austin thinks this defense sucks".

I thought that was hilarious.
Reply/Quote
Between Teryl Austin and Greg Schiano, Ohio teams gave up 102 points in six days -- but I digress.

Let's say Vontaze Burfict is right and Marvin Lewis is a stellar defensive coordinator sixteen years after he last held that job and eighteen years after the Ravens won the Super Bowl where Marvin's defense allowed what? Seven points? Let's say Marvin cleaned up the tackling issue. Finally, let's say Marvin Lewis implemented a man coverage scheme.

This is all well and good but it's minicamp stuff teams cover in the spring plus new schemes teams usually learn during training camp. Marvin basically had to cram a buttload of minicamps and training camp into six days. Can the Cincinnati defense respond that fast? Can they put these new skills to use in a real game -- an away game -- and against a division rival at that?

I'm going to say yes! I spent some time watching some film of the 2000 Ravens' defense and while I know Marvin can't get the Bengals to that level of proficiency in six days, or ever, I know he can improve the defense measurably. According to Rod Woodson, Marvin's 2000 defense was based on two skills: (1) Don't miss tackles and (2) swarm to the ball. True to form, the Ravens rarely whiffed on a tackle and there were very few solo tackles made. There were always at least three guys bringing down a ball carrier.
Reply/Quote
I'm not expecting the 2000 Ravens or 2013 Seahawks with Marv as DC. Our linebacker depth is still in shambles and will need a lot of retooling in the offseason. But if we can get back to making solid tackles and playing with more energy, it will go a long way. If our defense can play half as good as it did against Miami, I think making the playoffs isn't too much of a challenge. Especially the d-line. They got sacks against Jameis but outside of that, they've been AWOL for the last month.
Reply/Quote
Im really interested how often marvin will send pressure. They said he was known for attacking in baltimore. But here he seems so conservative. Thinking of the austin D i dont even hardly remember our d faking a blitz,or blitzing that often at all. Plus soft zone coverages all day.
Reply/Quote
The appointment of Austin was a dismal failure to be sure and the timing of his firing can be speculated about forever, but I do think Marvin made his name for himself as a defensive coordinator. Can he turn the tide and bring this team up to its potential ? Only time will tell,  but I don't really expect miracles in one week with so many injuries. If he can turn the entire defense into an overnight juggernaught he'll have earned every dime the Brown family could possibly cough up. In realistic terms Marvin definitely has his work cut out for himself. I'm expecting modest improvement, but I'm not expecting them to suddenly become the greatest defense in the league in a week. We really need to remain at least realistic about our expectations without labeling Marvin a complete bust if this team still struggles with the level of injuries they've sustained thus far and there may be more injuries that can only make it even more difficult. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Vontaze looks like he had too many twinkles during his latest 4 game suspension. Anything from him a bonus going forward.
Reply/Quote