Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Burfict's penalty???
(11-28-2017, 12:07 PM)Wyche Wrote: Football 101.......

The rules have changed though on this this last offseason. Yes, one can still hit a receiver within 5 yards of the los if he is in front of him. The ole db chucking the receiver rule. But any hit from the side or back while on a route is now deemed a hit on a defenseless receiver regardless where the receiver is. And on this play, Burfict came in from the side as the receiver was doing a crossing route, or at least from the refs vantage point the side which made it a hit on a defenseless receiver.

I am not saying I agree with the rule or not, but I do think the new rule was enforced properly.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2017, 12:43 PM)Millhouse Wrote: The rules have changed though on this this last offseason. Yes, one can still hit a receiver within 5 yards of the los if he is in front of him. The ole db chucking the receiver rule. But any hit from the side or back while on a route is now deemed a hit on a defenseless receiver regardless where the receiver is. 

From the side?  Not sure what that means.  Not debating with you.  Just the interpretation.  

Legislating out #55's hit on Bennett last year in NE, okay.  I understand that.  This was not that at all.  In fact, this Sunday's hit probably ends up as a shoulder between the numbers if not for Coleman turning his shoulder to Burfict at the last second.  That caused it to be from the "side", I guess.  Further I'd think this contact was safer than a shoulder between the numbers.  

Does any really think that's a flag on anyone other than #55 in orange and black?
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2017, 12:43 PM)Millhouse Wrote: The rules have changed though on this this last offseason. Yes, one can still hit a receiver within 5 yards of the los if he is in front of him. The ole db chucking the receiver rule. But any hit from the side or back while on a route is now deemed a hit on a defenseless receiver regardless where the receiver is. And on this play, Burfict came in from the side as the receiver was doing a crossing route, or at least from the refs vantage point the side which made it a hit on a defenseless receiver.

I am not saying I agree with the rule or not, but I do think the new rule was enforced properly.

I think you're right on that.  From the angle I saw, it looked like he put a shoulder pad to his sternum....and dude's head was turned back to the QB.....but that's only one angle.  Good point.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(11-28-2017, 01:15 PM)Wilikn Wrote: From the side?  Not sure what that means.  Not debating with you.  Just the interpretation.  

Legislating out #55's hit on Bennett last year in NE, okay.  I understand that.  This was not that at all.  In fact, this Sunday's hit probably ends up as a shoulder between the numbers if not for Coleman turning his shoulder to Burfict at the last second.  That caused it to be from the "side", I guess.  Further I'd think this contact was safer than a shoulder between the numbers.  

Does any really think that's a flag on anyone other than #55 in orange and black?

If you watch the video of it, the receiver is running a crossing route parallel with the yard line. Burfict comes in at 90 degrees when he hit him running north-south, as opposed to being directly in front of him. 

The question to me is if Burfict did hit him head on, would the flag still be thrown? I dont know, but guessing probably.

Reply/Quote
(11-28-2017, 01:32 PM)Wyche Wrote: I think you're right on that.  From the angle I saw, it looked like he put a shoulder pad to his sternum....and dude's head was turned back to the QB.....but that's only one angle.  Good point.

Well the hit was a clean hit so to speak. Burficts left shoulder pad into the receivers shoulder pad. If he had gone higher than what he did, he would be suspended.

I just look at their feet and their direction. Receiver was going east-west, Burfict north-south when he made the hit. 

What gets me though is why even do it in the first place, after being suspended from that preseason hit. And this one I would argue was more from the side than that one was on a 'defenseless receiver' within 5 yards off the line running a route.

Reply/Quote
Quote:The NFL is clearly all about player safety now 
That's rich..if it were true they'd cancel the season and end the game forever..  They're all about making money and if a few guys are killed in the process, oh well..The cost of doing business..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Over/Under on Burfict getting a UC flag in the first ten minutes of the Stealers game?????
Reply/Quote