Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Burfict smackin' on the Bengals..
(08-06-2019, 10:39 PM)jason Wrote: He certainly looked spent last year... I don't know if he was just playing tentative or what. I know he wasn't as bad in 2016- 2017, but never really stood out like he did before. He's sorta the embodiment of the 2011 thru 2015 playoff team Bengals... That rainy night in Cincinnati was his, and their last stand.

I always liked the guy, and he was my favorite Bengal for years... I wish him the best, but I hope that Sample waffles, flapjacks, or hotcakes his ass if he's healthy when we play him this season.

I couldn't call him my favorite Bengal but I did love the attitude he brought to the D. I basically had a love/hate thing with him. The stuff after the whistle I just couldn't tolerate, wouldn't tolerate !

I wish him all the luck in the world but I just have serious doubts he'll have that much more of a career in the NFL.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
To be fair, we do not know how the locker room was handled by Lewis. I think Burfict is trying to make the best of his new scenery and they are under camera due to the show Hard Knocks, so players will say things to get noticed.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(08-06-2019, 10:04 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I loved the Super Destroyer as much as anyone on here, even coined him as such around here.  However, as the number of injuries, concussions, penalties, and suspensions started to accumulate, I started to notice a stark transition in him.  He was no longer the omnipotent being he once was, but he truly was just taking gratuitous, cheap shots and doing guys dirty for the sake of it.

Perhaps the change of scenery, new environment and situation will be good for him, who knows?  However, as a guy that played football into his 30's, I think that he's been "reaching" a few years ahead of where he should have started grasping at straws like that.  He might have had a few too many concussions.

(08-06-2019, 10:50 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I couldn't call him my favorite Bengal but I did love the attitude he brought to the D. I basically had a love/hate thing with him. The stuff after the whistle I just couldn't tolerate, wouldn't tolerate !

I wish him all the luck in the world but I just have serious doubts he'll have that much more of a career in the NFL.

I'm with you guys on this.

I generally wish all our ex players well, once they move on.

I genuinely only despise one - Kimo. I don't care what he says, he did it intentionally.

But I digress.

Best of luck Vontaze. Hope you get a stomach virus the week we play the Raiders! Otherwise; give 'em hell.
Reply/Quote
2015 was his peak. The playoff loss that year was hard on everyone. He wasnt as good the next year because he was trying not to get penalized. This team really unraveled in that playoff loss. Looking back, that should have been Marvins last year. Should have picked up sean mcvah as head coach going into 16. But theres still a chance this can work out in the next couple years. 2015 was marvs shot. He blew it. Marvin couldnt hold the team together in the final minutes. All they needed to do was not turn the ball over. If he was in control he would have told them not to fumble the ball—the only way we could have lost the game. If he didnt trust hill with ball security, he should put the ball in safer hands. Marv Lost control, but its hard to keep your cool in a game as dirty as that one was. Steelers really got in our heads after that loss if they weren’t before. And it ended with 3 years of losing football. I remember saying to myself i was done with this team after that loss. Actually didnt watch much in 16 bc i sensed we would fall off a cliff after that loss. But then i found myself getting a little hope going into last year before the injuries, and again this year. Taylor is our only chance of salvaging this aging core of players. Would be nice to see a happy ending. i guess we’ll see what happens. Marv did set him up with a lot of talented players. Burfict is past his prime though. His head isn't screwed on right. Too many concussions. Sad story. He’s a perfect fit for the Raiders. Wish him the best—hope he can find some peace in his life. Hope we can find a way to overcome this terrible injury curse too. Hoping to see a more mentally tough team this year.
Reply/Quote
(08-06-2019, 11:12 PM)Bengalstripes18 Wrote: 2015 was his peak. The playoff loss that year was hard on everyone. He wasnt as good the next year because he was trying not to get penalized. This team really unraveled in that playoff loss. Looking back, that should have been Marvins last year. Should have picked up sean mcvah as head coach going into 16. But theres still a chance this can work out in the next couple years. 2015 was marvs shot. He blew it. Marvin couldnt hold the team together in the final minutes. All they needed to do was not turn the ball over. If he was in control he would have told them not to fumble the ball—the only way we could have lost the game. If he didnt trust hill with ball security, he should put the ball in safer hands. Marv Lost control, but its hard to keep your cool in a game as dirty as that one was. Steelers really got in our heads after that loss if they weren’t before. And it ended with 3 years of losing football. I remember saying to myself i was done with this team after that loss. Actually didnt watch much in 16 bc i sensed we would fall off a cliff after that loss. But then i found myself getting a little hope going into last year before the injuries, and again this year. Taylor is our only chance of salvaging this aging core of players. Would be nice to see a happy ending. i guess we’ll see what happens. Marv did set him up with a lot of talented players. Burfict is past his prime though. His head isn't screwed on right. Too many concussions. Sad story. He’s  a perfect fit for the Raiders. Wish him the best—hope he can find some peace in his life. Hope we can find a way to overcome this  terrible injury curse too. Hoping to see a more mentally tough team this year.

I agree with every word.  Well said.  I'd like it even more divided into paragraphs.  I'm old and my eyes are bad.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(08-06-2019, 11:05 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: I think Burfict is trying to make the best of his new scenery and they are under camera due to the show Hard Knocks, so players will say things to get noticed.

Could be.

I just don't know if he cares, or frankly; thinks that far in advance.
Reply/Quote
(08-06-2019, 09:47 PM)jason Wrote: Hard-nosed football player while he was here.

Now he's a thug.
But he was our thug!
Reply/Quote
(08-06-2019, 09:47 PM)jason Wrote: Hard-nosed football player while he was here.

Now he's a thug.
But he was our thug!
Reply/Quote
I see no part of that as a shot at this team, more of just a statement of what everyone kinda already knew. Marvin didn't seem to have control of the team the last few years and part of that has to be tossed right upstairs to the guy doing the bargain bin free agent shopping and giving guys chance after chance.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(08-06-2019, 11:05 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: To be fair, we do not know how the locker room was handled by Lewis.  I think Burfict is trying to make the best of his new scenery and they are under camera due to the show Hard Knocks, so players will say things to get noticed.

Bates has gone on record as saying there was no accountability last year at all.
Reply/Quote
(08-06-2019, 08:50 PM)Sled21 Wrote: That hardly qualifies as smack, let alone deserves an article about nothing.

If it is profootballtall.com, they will take any fart in the wind and try to make a direct poop-in-our-face.  I have never seen so much blatant hatred for a single team (well, them and their pittsburg-based officials).  
Reply/Quote
Burfict is a hero in Bengal lore, he gave so many black eyes on the steelers everytime we played them. He put them in check with their dirty hits. They knew if they play dirty, dirty was ready to pound back. If there ever is a karma, he was the squeelers karma. There's a little spot for him in my bengal heart.
Reply/Quote
hope his tackling is better than his smack talking
Reply/Quote
Big who cares.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
Should have been cut immediately following that playoff meltdown Whatever
Reply/Quote
(08-06-2019, 08:43 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I wonder how well everyone in that locker room is going to be getting along, once he starts getting penalized, fined, and suspended?

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/08/06/raiders-linebacker-vontaze-burfict-takes-shot-at-bengals/?fbclid=IwAR0huv7laZWQMNTe1lT0n4RxxPN8i6Thyh6FODuJfrH9ai0C5mFskF5U1iM

Yes, I realize that this should technically go into "Around the NFL", but since it's him, and he's talking about us, I figured it was fine to start it in here.

He is just trying to give the Raidas props, don't think he meant to diss his old team.

He loved this team when he was here and still has lots of buds on it.

Too bad he fell off a cliff last season, maybe it was an undisclosed injury like you were alluding to at the time Sunset but even then he looked really slow out there and couldn't even tackle well. I think Burfict is done honestly and will be cut by the Raiders once they see what we saw last season. Who knows if Paulie G can get something magical out of him but I doubt it.
Reply/Quote
(08-07-2019, 08:53 AM)Bengalitis Wrote: Burfict is a hero in Bengal lore, he gave so many black eyes on the steelers everytime we played them. He put them in check with their dirty hits. They knew if they play dirty, dirty was ready to pound back. If there ever is a karma, he was the squeelers karma. There's a little spot for him in my bengal heart.

I don't really disagree with any of that, but it sure would have been nice if he actually got the last laugh every once in awhile.

I mean I'm happy to watch him knock AB's head off all day long, but when it costs your team a playoff win you've been waiting decades for it becomes evident that they're not scared of you, they're playing you.
Reply/Quote
(08-07-2019, 08:53 AM)Bengalitis Wrote: Burfict is a hero in Bengal lore, he gave so many black eyes on the steelers everytime we played them. He put them in check with their dirty hits. They knew if they play dirty, dirty was ready to pound back. If there ever is a karma, he was the squeelers karma. There's a little spot for him in my bengal heart.

Reply/Quote
(08-07-2019, 01:31 PM)NKURyan Wrote: I don't really disagree with any of that, but it sure would have been nice if he actually got the last laugh every once in awhile.

I mean I'm happy to watch him knock AB's head off all day long, but when it costs your team a playoff win you've been waiting decades for it becomes evident that they're not scared of you, they're playing you.

Exactly. I don't see Burfict as some Steelers enforcer.

Now if we actually won against the Steelers a lot due to him...that's another story. Bengals vs Steelers is one of the most 1-sided rivalries in all of sports.
Reply/Quote
(08-07-2019, 12:21 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: He is just trying to give the Raidas props, don't think he meant to diss his old team.

He loved this team when he was here and still has lots of buds on it.

Too bad he fell off a cliff last season, maybe it was an undisclosed injury like you were alluding to at the time Sunset but even then he looked really slow out there and couldn't even tackle well. I think Burfict is done honestly and will be cut by the Raiders once they see what we saw last season. Who knows if Paulie G can get something magical out of him but I doubt it.

He's played in 46 out of 80 possible games over the past 5 years.
Reply/Quote