Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Burfict smackin' on the Bengals..
(08-07-2019, 12:18 AM)Whatever Wrote: Bates has gone on record as saying there was no accountability last year at all.

I don't think that is what he said at all.

Link?
Reply/Quote
Burfict got into fist fights with his teammates in the locker room in college.

Maybe he is the problem.
Reply/Quote
(08-07-2019, 01:46 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I don't think that is what he said at all.

Link?

https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2019/07/29/jessie-bates-new-level-accountability-zac-taylor-bengals/

It is actually exactly what he said....

"Jessie Bates falls into the latter camp, telling Jeremy Rauch of Fox 19 the following: “Last year the level of accountability wasn’t there. This year it is.”

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-07-2019, 01:43 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: He's played in 46 out of 80 possible games over the past 5 years.

Yeah, with the concussions and everything else I am almost doubting if he even plays again...
Reply/Quote
(08-07-2019, 02:23 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2019/07/29/jessie-bates-new-level-accountability-zac-taylor-bengals/

"Jessie Bates falls into the latter camp, telling Jeremy Rauch of Fox 19 the following: “Last year the level of accountability wasn’t there. This year it is.”

Wow, how did I miss this?

Really like Bates, just goes to show you what a lot of us thought watching that team last year.

They looked stale besides a few players, Mixon, Boyd, Hubbard and Bates all played hard but it was frustrating watching that team.

Especially the Linebackers who were about the worst corps in the history of the NFL. So happy Haslett is gone man.
Reply/Quote
(08-07-2019, 01:47 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Burfict got into fist fights with his teammates in the locker room in college.

Maybe he is the problem.

Why would anything he did at Arizona State 8 years ago impact today?

You are not making sense. 
Reply/Quote
(08-07-2019, 02:23 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2019/07/29/jessie-bates-new-level-accountability-zac-taylor-bengals/

This is good to see. Marvin was a clown.   
Reply/Quote
(08-07-2019, 04:23 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Wow, how did I miss this?

Really like Bates, just goes to show you what a lot of us thought watching that team last year.

They looked stale besides a few players, Mixon, Boyd, Hubbard and Bates all played hard but it was frustrating watching that team.

Especially the Linebackers who were about the worst corps in the history of the NFL. So happy Haslett is gone man.

It really says something when a rookie comes into the Pros and can tell it is off. That is basically saying that there was more accountability in college then there was in the Bengals locker room.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(08-07-2019, 04:32 PM)TopSix Wrote: Why would anything he did at Arizona State 8 years ago impact today?

The post you quoted makes perfect sense.  If you don't think that character flaws like that carry over into a player's professional career, then you don't pay a lot of attention to things much.  There's a reason that college coaches would go to great lengths to cover up player's bad behavior, before the electronic information age took over.  There was also a reason that he was a UDFA..

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-07-2019, 01:40 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Exactly. I don't see Burfict as some Steelers enforcer.

Now if we actually won against the Steelers a lot due to him...that's another story. Bengals vs Steelers is one of the most 1-sided rivalries in all of sports.

What's interesting is that what should've been the biggest play of his career (the INT towards the end of the 2015 playoff game) would have completely flipped that narrative. Unfortunately for him Jeremy Hill fumbled it right back to them setting the stage for Vontaze to completely overshadow what should have been his crowning moment with one stupid decision that he'll forever be remembered for.

I still like Vontaze for what he was when he was here before then, and I'll probably root for him to bounce back this year. I'll also be rooting like hell for him to hand us an extra 30+ yards on penalties on November 17th.
Reply/Quote
So few people seemed to care last year. Marvin was a stereotype of himself. Any one who could give a damn got hurt or were playing by themselves, it seems, at times. Bates could tell. VB never was the same after that game. Everything changed. It is like the turning point they show on a historic show 20 years from now. Add in the Juju hit, he just got buried. He was de-fanged. Maybe Oakland will rejuvenate his career, but I think his tank has also emptied.
Reply/Quote
(08-07-2019, 04:32 PM)TopSix Wrote: Why would anything he did at Arizona State 8 years ago impact today?

He's suggesting that it's entirely possible that his past attitude - bone headed, hard to work with, drama induced, etc, is entirely possible that he could've been the issue. 

Fred didn't mention unpaid parking tickets, but literally (partial) reason why he wasn't drafted in the first place. He was listed as a loose cannon, both on and off field. 

[Image: tumblr_nmz43uky8c1rtim7ko1_500.gif]

Feel free to support my Film/TV Review YouTube Channel  - Youtube.Com/NaterTot
Reply/Quote
(08-07-2019, 06:48 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: The post you quoted makes perfect sense.  If you don't think that character flaws like that carry over into a player's professional career, then you don't pay a lot of attention to things much.  There's a reason that college coaches would go to great lengths to cover up player's bad behavior, before the electronic information age took over.  There was also a reason that he was a UDFA..

Joe Mixon punched a woman.

So now whenever he talks, it should be discredited. That is your take.

What VB did 8 years ago doesn’t impact his ability to talk about his former team 8 years later.

You’re just desperate to find an excuse not to believe it
Reply/Quote
(08-07-2019, 10:06 AM)Pat5775 Wrote: Should have been cut immediately following that playoff meltdown Whatever

No, the coach that allowed the multi-player meltdown happen in the first place should have been fired...

Water under the bridge though.

Reply/Quote
(08-07-2019, 01:39 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote:

Why am I looking looking at a video of this bullshit in JN???

Reply/Quote
(08-07-2019, 07:38 PM)TopSix Wrote: Joe Mixon punched a woman.

So now whenever he talks, it should be discredited.  That is your take.

What VB did 8 years ago doesn’t impact his ability to talk about his former team 8 years later.

Yes, if Mixon continued to display this behavior, as Burfict continued to do during his career (suspensions, illegal hits, trash talking on the field, etc). His actions in College remained the same in the NFL. Let's not forget, he was ranked the most hated/dirty player how many years? 

If Mixon went and hit his wife/girlfriend/baby momma or got suspended and then trash talked, safe to say, we would all say the same thing.

Everyone did when Carson smacked the Bengals.

[Image: tumblr_nmz43uky8c1rtim7ko1_500.gif]

Feel free to support my Film/TV Review YouTube Channel  - Youtube.Com/NaterTot
Reply/Quote
(08-07-2019, 07:38 PM)TopSix Wrote: Joe Mixon punched a woman.

So now whenever he talks, it should be discredited.  That is your take.

Vontaze's professional actions were the same thing thing he was doing in college which enabled him to slip to us to begin with. Does how he acted in college impact his ability to talk about the Bengals now? No, but they're the primary reason he became a Bengal in the first place and it's perfectly reasonable to point out that he's as involved as what he's criticizing as anyone considering how much rope he got from Marvin.

If Mixon gets in trouble for punching someone, you'd better believe what he did in college will be (rightfully) brought up. So far he's been a model citizen.

In both cases, I believed those young men deserved the second chance to prove they weren't who everyone said they were coming out of college. Mixon's lived up to that chance so far (knock on wood), while Burfict showed he was exactly what his reputation was.
Reply/Quote
(08-07-2019, 06:48 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: The post you quoted makes perfect sense.  If you don't think that character flaws like that carry over into a player's professional career, then you don't pay a lot of attention to things much.  There's a reason that college coaches would go to great lengths to cover up player's bad behavior, before the electronic information age took over.  There was also a reason that he was a UDFA..

He was a well known head case.  Zimmer did the best job of get the most out of him and keeping him mostly under control.  The biggest problem, obviously, was that he could not keep himself under control.   He's not so much a has been as a could have been.  He was his own worst enemy but he wasn't his only enemy.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(08-07-2019, 07:38 PM)The Caped Crusader Wrote: He's suggesting that it's entirely possible that his past attitude - bone headed, hard to work with, drama induced, etc, is entirely possible that he could've been the issue. 

Fred didn't mention unpaid parking tickets, but literally (partial) reason why he wasn't drafted in the first place. He was listed as a loose cannon, both on and off field. 

Still no mention of how lazy he is either. The dude essentially walked his 40 at the combine. He showed up to camp in shape maybe 3 times. In 2016 and 2017 he began the season suspended, then had to play himself into reasonable shape once he did play. I remember reading that Marv had to stop by his house to make sure he was rehabbing after his micro fracture procedure. If he wasn't injured last year, he certainly looked like he was mailing it in.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
I see all the locker room disconnect as coming from Marvin. Mentality starts at the top and he was the big cheese in that locker room. Its obvious he lost control not just in 2015 but also with Chad Ocho back in the day. Yeah Hill and Burfict and bad reffing cost us the playoff win against Poopsburgh, but Marvin stood there like a deer in the headlights and the same exact team who made it to that game, melted down underachieved every year after it. Marvin sucked at handling adversity. And his "we just got to make football plays on the football field" type comments after every game apparently had about the same effect on the players as it did the fans. Taylor's attitude so far is completely refreshing after having to deal with tired ol Marv for too long.
Reply/Quote