Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Burkhead
Rex > J. Hill
[Image: 43325991030_4d39723a8f.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(12-04-2016, 09:14 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Rex gets a lot of love because he is white.

He had a decent game today, but it cracks me up when people talk about how great he looks every time he gets a chance.  He came into this season averaging 2.4 yards per carry and 8.4 yards per catch, yet people were constantly swooning over his "playmaking ability".

I think it has a whole lot less to do with skin color than it does that the 2 in front of him have been a disappointment to date.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-04-2016, 08:57 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: He had 8 rushes, for 38 yds., with one of them being for 17yds.  Not like he set the world on fire.

He did a nice job, nothing special.  I'm not trying to dog on the guy, I like him.  All I'm saying is don't get caught up in the fresh legs of a backup player, as sometimes it is really just an optical delusion.

Remove Hill's big gain and tell me what his average was, lol. Even with it, he was 1.4 yards. Hill is pretty worthless with this o-line except in goal line scenarios. I love 2nd and 11s.

Hill, 23 carries, for 33 yards. 1.4 yards a gain. Might be the worst game of his career.
His longest was for 7. So we're at 22 for 26 yards, 1.18 YPC. I don't know..not much of a difference, lol.

On a side note, we made Wentz throw 60 times.
[Image: 43325991030_4d39723a8f.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(12-04-2016, 09:15 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I hate to pass judgment on any RB playing behind this O-line.

Having said that, and I've been a Hill supporter, I'm beginning to believe there's more to Hill's lack of production than just a bad O-line.

Like others have said he dances to much, seems to indecisive and afraid to commit. Seems to not be able to see the lanes developing and lacks good "RB vision"

I'd love to see Burkhead get some more touches over the final games.

Part of the problem, with taking RBs from the SEC.  Their good OLs are so head and shoulders above the norm, that you can never tell if the RB is actually good, or just a product of the program.  (see that 'Bama kid, that Cleveland drafted, that busted) (but, on the other hand, they could actually be the real deal, see Eddie Lacy..)

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-04-2016, 09:14 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Rex gets a lot of love because he is white.

He had a decent game today, but it cracks me up when people talk about how great he looks every time he gets a chance.  He came into this season averaging 2.4 yards per carry and 8.4 yards per catch, yet people were constantly swooning over his "playmaking ability".

[Image: quote-a-man-remains-ignorant-because-he-...-54-07.jpg]

Hill is not doing well...why not try something else out?

[Image: cinsigfin.png]
Reply/Quote

That's bull crap. I never thought he'd be a good runner, but knew he was a good pass catcher. This year he's been good on returns and running. White boy gots moves.
Reply/Quote
(12-04-2016, 08:57 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: He had 8 rushes, for 38 yds., with one of them being for 17yds.  Not like he set the world on fire.

He did a nice job, nothing special.  I'm not trying to dog on the guy, I like him.  All I'm saying is don't get caught up in the fresh legs of a backup player, as sometimes it is really just an optical delusion.

And Hill got a 2 yard TD!!  Yawn
Reply/Quote
(12-04-2016, 07:54 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Should have watched more of the game..

I did.  I'm just not as good of a couch coach as you are.
Reply/Quote
(12-04-2016, 09:03 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: 1. Rex got 12 touches today, which is around what Gio averaged. So I don't think he was underused today.

2. That said, I wouldn't mind closer to an even split going forward...if Rex can hang on to the rock.

3. I agree with Sunset for the most part. Rex has fresh legs (and eyes) right now. I doubt he could sustain his success with an increased load and the run blocking we've seen this year. It couldn't hurt to look though.

He wouldn't have to come up with a whole lot to equal what Hill is bringing to the table.
Reply/Quote
(12-04-2016, 09:52 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: He wouldn't have to come up with a whole lot to equal what Hill is bringing to the table.

Or what Gio was bringing pre-injury. Or what just about any RB has brought over the last 10 years or so.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(12-04-2016, 07:18 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I'd say he didn't do himself favors with the fumble. But i'd love to give him more touches, 

I have seen enough of Hill looking for a wide open lane to run through and getting stuffed (<2 yds./run). I too want more of Burkhead at RB. When he fumbled, I though there goes his chance for the rest of the year. But, then I remembered that we also get costly fumbles with Hill and very little else.
Reply/Quote
It's nice to see Burkhead not stanking BUT I also have to point out that we have already asked "WHY ISN'T _____ getting more touches!?" about Gio, Hill, AND Burkhead this year.
Reply/Quote
Some RBs are better with bad blocking than others. Hill is our most dangerous runner (size/speed combo) when he breaks it to the 2nd level but we haven't been able to get him there. Shiftier guys like Gio and Rex can usually make the first guy miss and thus do a little better overall with subpar blocking.
Reply/Quote
(12-04-2016, 07:32 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: The backup player always has fresh legs.  They don't go through the pounding on a week to week basis, the same as the starters do.  Did you all also notice that as the game went on, Burkhead lost some of his sizzle?

Ok, but what happened to the narrative that Hill gets better as the game goes on and gets more carries? 

One is an actual good athlete, one is just big.

One also doesn't need a fullback in front of him and doesn't change the identity of the offense when Gio is rotated off the field.

One can pass protect and can line up in the slot.

But one will be let go and one will be extended for some God awful rationale. 
Reply/Quote
(12-04-2016, 09:47 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: And Hill got a 2 yard TD!!  Yawn

It only took two tries to get it.
Reply/Quote
(12-04-2016, 08:22 PM)magikod Wrote: Hill is dancing to much now. Burkhead hits the hole if he's lucky to get one and makes something out of it.
Our o-line is terrible though, not good for Hill's type of running.

It is funny, when LeVeon Bell waits, waits, waits, gets a hold and then explodes for 10 yards, he is a "patient runner".  Hill waits for a block, or hold, that he won't get and he dances too much.  

I think what Hill seems to have lost is his burst.  Could be injury, could be the wear and tear has just broken him down, but he does not look explosive at all.  First guy usually gets him down in one-on-one situations.  

I am fairly certain that they will be drafting another RB and not extending Hill.  
Reply/Quote
(12-06-2016, 10:11 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: It is funny, when LeVeon Bell waits, waits, waits, gets a hold and then explodes for 10 yards, he is a "patient runner".  Hill waits for a block, or hold, that he won't get and he dances too much.  

I think what Hill seems to have lost is his burst.  Could be injury, could be the wear and tear has just broken him down, but he does not look explosive at all.  First guy usually gets him down in one-on-one situations.  

I am fairly certain that they will be drafting another RB and not extending Hill.  
Probably see Hill in a Raven uniform if that's the case. He won't stay unemployed for long.
I like Burkhead but he stays injured a lot for a part time player.
Reply/Quote
(12-06-2016, 03:18 AM)Stormborn Wrote: Ok, but what happened to the narrative that Hill gets better as the game goes on and gets more carries? 

Many were ready to anoint him as the next Corey Dillon, in 2014, when he was hitting the hole like a Kawasaki Ninja and burning defenses for long TDs.

Rex is a really good athlete, think he needs more action, no matter if someone is injured or not.

One also doesn't need a fullback in front of him and doesn't change the identity of the offense when Gio is rotated off the field.

Hill needs to see the entire field, more than he needs a FB in front of him.

History shows that the Bengals won't put any back on the field, if they cannot pass block.

Hill has another year left on his Rookie deal, this team rarely releases players under contract.  Meanwhile, I would guess that Rex will be offered a modest contract.

As putrid as the run blocking has been this season, from the OL, is it really fair to judge any of the RBs?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-04-2016, 09:24 PM)CINwillWIN Wrote: Hill is not doing well...why not try something else out?

(12-04-2016, 09:52 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: He wouldn't have to come up with a whole lot to equal what Hill is bringing to the table.

(12-05-2016, 12:33 AM)Derrick Wrote: I have seen enough of Hill looking for a wide open lane to run through and getting stuffed (<2 yds./run). I too want more of Burkhead at RB. When he fumbled, I though there goes his chance for the rest of the year. But, then I remembered that we also get costly fumbles with Hill and very little else.

(12-06-2016, 03:18 AM)Stormborn Wrote: Ok, but what happened to the narrative that Hill gets better as the game goes on and gets more carries? 

(12-06-2016, 03:33 AM)Derrick Wrote: It only took two tries to get it.

Hill had 28 yards after contact on Sunday.

But no, he dances and doesn't find holes  Whatever
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-06-2016, 01:55 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Hill had 28 yards after contact on Sunday.

But no, he dances and doesn't find holes  Whatever

Wow, that's a telling stat. It seems a lot of people on here don't think terrible blocking has a serious affect on RB or QB performance.

Why even have an oline?  Ninja
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote