Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Burkhead
Howdy all,

Been pretty impressed the past few weeks on the running ability of Rex. He seemed to be hitting the holes correctly, waiting for them to open up, and running hard. Would hate to see this guy go and think that he really needs a shot next year. Unlike J. Hill, he seems to be patient on waiting for the play to develop and taking advantage.

Otherwise, at least the season is over and we have a top 10 (hopefully) draft pick on our way.

Happy New Year all,

Patch
Reply/Quote
The problem with Hill is that he tries to be something that he's not. Hill has the body composition of a sledge hammer type of back. If you keep him in a straight line, or even one cut, he has acceptable acceleration, and a good enough top end speed to pull away from a reeling secondary. Hill, trying to cut, juke, and regain forward momentum is never going to be something that he is effective at. Combine that with an imploding OL, constantly allowing defenders into the backfield as he receives the ball, plays are doomed from the onset.

Burkhead, on the other hand, is quite the opposite. Though his top end speed will get him ran down by most of the faster LBs in the league, he can go from Zero to as fast as he can go, about as quickly as Gio Bernard. He has great balance, wide field of vision, and what they call a high "football IQ". While we have no way of knowing how he would hold up to the pounding of 25 touches/game for the entire season, what we do know is that he has performed well whenever asked to. I would like to see Burkhead's role increased in the offense, even with all backs healthy. I think that the coaching staff sometimes forgets what a great receiving weapon that Burkhead is.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
@Sunset

That's the first thing I noticed about Rex at his rookie training camp. Soft hands, good routes. It's unfortunate they waited this long to get him involved, and I hope it isn't a Cedric Peerman type of deal, where they use him due to injury and never use him again.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
I really hope they keep Burkhead. And like others have said hope he gets way more use next season.
Reply/Quote
I'd take a wait and see approach on Rex. He had a pretty good game today, but is no threat to win the FedEx Ground player of the week award. 119 yards at 4.4 YPC is nothing more than pretty good. We also have to understand that Rex is daisy fresh playing against some folks playing out a long season.

Despite what about 90% of the folks in this forum think. Marvin and the boys know football and there's probably a pretty good reason that he never had double-didgit carries in a game prior to last week, where he had 12 at about 3.5 YPC.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(01-01-2017, 08:42 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: @Sunset

That's the first thing I noticed about Rex at his rookie training camp. Soft hands, good routes. It's unfortunate they waited this long to get him involved, and I hope it isn't a Cedric Peerman type of deal, where they use him due to injury and never use him again.
You mean typical ML fashion? Burkhead will likely leave for an opportunity to play. If he stays I would prefer him in the backfield with Gio. Use Hill as a sub for either to get a breather. Or, maybe on the goal line --  just straight ahead and not on a sweep. Geez!
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2017, 08:42 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: @Sunset

Didn't he fill in at slot, when we were so injury riddled, for a playoff game?

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2017, 08:58 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Didn't he fill in at slot, when we were so injury riddled, for a playoff game?

Yes he did.

And apparently that game plan was heavily centered around him.
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2017, 09:36 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: Yes he did.

And apparently that game plan was heavily centered around him.

And, even though we lost miserably, I also seem to remember him putting out a yeoman's effort.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
In my final thoughts thread, I mentioned Burkhead.

The forum excuses were, he has fresh legs. He fumbles. He's playing against subpar teams and defenses. IF he were as good as Hill, the coaches would be playing him more. etc etc. (Some of the same forum members who claim these coaches have no clue what they are doing, EXCEPT when it comes to Burkhead.)

Well here are what his teammates are saying about him, and as I pointed out, he did what he did today against the number 2 run defense that was number 1 most of the year as Whitworth says.

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Rex-stakes-his-claim/04a49991-c837-4dfe-9de0-27dd2af4b3e4

The Bengals have never been successful at running the ball against the Ravens.

Coaches sometimes get things wrong according to where guys are drafted and their paychecks, just ask Archie Griffin, Drew Bledsoe, Tom Brady, Tony Romo, and Zak Prescott, off the top of my head.
Reply/Quote
I say keep all 3 ,and actually give him starter reps. Use Jeremy hill as like the Larry Johnson role we used to have and goal line, use Rex and gio as the main guys. Draft a rb to replace hill in 2018.the one from Tennessee looks nice 5that or 6the round.
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2017, 08:19 PM)Patch Wrote: Howdy all,

Been pretty impressed the past few weeks on the running ability of Rex.  He seemed to be hitting the holes correctly, waiting for them to open up, and running hard.  Would hate to see this guy go and think that he really needs a shot next year.  Unlike J. Hill, he seems to be patient on waiting for the play to develop and taking advantage.

Otherwise, at least the season is over and we have a top 10 (hopefully) draft pick on our way.

Happy New Year all,

Patch

Burkhead will sign elsewhere.

Just watch, Belichick will turn him into a star and he'll get a ring.

Reply/Quote
(01-01-2017, 08:49 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I'd take a wait and see approach on Rex. He had a pretty good game today, but is no threat to win the FedEx Ground player of the week award. 119 yards at 4.4 YPC is nothing more than pretty good. We also have to understand that Rex is daisy fresh playing against some folks playing out a long season.

Despite what about 90% of the folks in this forum think. Marvin and the boys know football and there's probably a pretty good reason that he never had double-didgit carries in a game prior to last week, where he had 12 at about 3.5 YPC.

So we need a FedEx Ground player of the week award in order to replace the pitiful J. Hill? Hill is 32nd in the league in YPC. Hill is nothing more than pretty bad.
[Image: 43325991030_4d39723a8f.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2017, 12:37 AM)bengalsturntup926 Wrote: I say keep all 3 ,and actually give him starter reps. Use Jeremy hill as like the Larry Johnson role we used to have and goal line, use Rex and gio as the main guys. Draft a rb to replace hill in 2018.the one from Tennessee looks nice 5that or 6the round.

I say keep all 3 and demote J. Hill to 3rd string. He doesn't have the emotional capacity to handle that and I expect his YPC to be that of wihch every Bengals fan will agree he should be gone at that point. But maybe he surprises us and he doesn't fumble AND his YPC is high/or trust worthy in 3rd and short scenarios. He should be a 3rd and 2 back, guaranteed 1st down every time. If the team worked on that, he would be worthwhile.
[Image: 43325991030_4d39723a8f.jpg]
Reply/Quote
I say release Hill and draft a RB that is more similar to Gio and Burkhead. Use all three. All can rush effectively inside and outside, and all would be capable receivers out of the backfield. Then, for once, the damn play calling won't be so obvious just by looking at the personnel on the field.

Hill has no burst, isn't a great route runner, and is deficient at blitz pick-up. Keep him when there are much better options to help the club and you hurt the club.
Reply/Quote
I have really liked what I have seen from Burkhead when he is on the field. He just seems to run harder than Hill and hits the hole the way it should be hit. He also can block and gives you something in the passing/gadget play game.

I am all but over Hill at this point. He doesnt pass the eye test and he just hasnt gotten it done. Comparing him against Burkhead, Burkhead just looks much better. The only issue with Rex is if he can do it over an entire season. A rotation with him and Gio and keeping Hill for depth/short yardage situations should really be considered in my opinion.

Honestly, I think one of the issues with Burkhead is that he is white. I truly believe some people don't take him serious because you dont traditionally see white running backs that are good.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
I guess I made my point, didn't I modeators? Wink

You can hide the truth in here, but most Americans know it. Many are afraid to speak it because of consequences.
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2017, 02:46 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: I guess I made my point, didn't I modeators?  Wink

You can hide the truth in here, but most Americans know it.  Many are afraid to speak it because of consequences.

Politics is for the PnR forum. Jungle Noise is for Bengals football. Back on topic, please.

Thank you for your cooperation.
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote
Burkhead seems like a guy who can be used in many facets effectively. He runs hard, can catch, and does a nice job in the red zone.

I rather doubt that Hill is going anywhere this offseason. Not the Bengal Way. I also doubt that he's a major candidate for an extension. Hopefully not.

I'd keep Burkhead without a doubt. There just aren't that many weapons on this offense. We have a legit beast in AJ Green. Then there's a really good player that misses more games than he plays in Eifert. Gio is coming off of major knee surgery and LaFell is a free agent. Boyd showed promise, but was practically invisible for long stretches of games.

I just don't see how this team can let a potentially productive player walk, particularly when he probably won't cost a ton to retain. The run game is shit and needs all the help it can get. Yeah, the line sucks, but Rex ran just fine behind it.
Reply/Quote