Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Burma's 1st Mock with brief offseason
Ok, to understand why the Bengals have the picks that are here you need to reference another thread I made with 2 trade scenarios.

http://thebengalsboard.com/Thread-2-Quarterbacks-could-turn-this-team-around

Let's dive in.  

Offseason moves:

Cuts:
Rey Maualuga: No explanation needed.  Cap savings $3.7 mill
Adam Jones:  Just done with his act. Time to go.  Cap savings $6.333 mill
Michael Johnson: (Post June 1) Keep through training camp. Cap savings $2.875 mill
AJ McCarron: (traded) Cap savings $690k

Post cut cap space: @ $60.38 Mill

Signings: Only 1 notable signing from outside. Other camp bodies will surely follow
Datone Jones: DE (OLB for packers)  26, 6’4” 280 lbs 4 year/ $22 mill per sportrac
·         The Packers have never quite figured out how to use Jones. Initially the dropped him into a 3/4 DE role asking him to play near 300lbs, then recently moved him to OLB.  His true position though is 4/3 DE.
·         Strong, thick, powerful and agile Jones would be a massive upgrade over Hunt and also fill in as a rush DT for the departed Gillberry
·         One of the best D linemen in his draft class with outstanding measurable, production and work ethic.
·         http://www.nepatriotsdraft.com/2013/02/datone-jones-scouting-report.html

Resignings:  Bulk of cap space needs to go to bringing back key players. Until their replacements are up and running.
Andrew Whitworth: Whit has to be resigned.  There is no other option on the team or in the draft to replace his performance. 2 year/$16 mill
Kevin Zeitler: Franchise tag if no long term deal worked out. Tag is @ $14 mill for Oline
Dre Kirkpatrick: Cap savings from cutting Pacman gets tied into new Dre contract.  3 year/ $23 mill
Brandon Lafell: Worth bringing back.  1 year/ $1.5 mill
TJ Johnson: Need at least a backup at C.  1 year/ $1 mill
Ced Peerman: Worth bringing back.  1 year/ $1 mill

Other role players as needed

Cap Space after signings:   @ $27 Mill

The Draft:
(17th) Taco Charlton, 6'5" 275lbs, DE, Michigan.   
Pass rusher we have needed for quite some time. Replacement for MJ.

(41st) Raekwon McMillan, 6'1" 240lbs, LB, Ohio State
Begin the athletic overhaul of the LB core. Massive upgrade over the departed Maualuga.

(49th) Pat Elflien, 6'3" 295lbs, C, Ohio State
Do I really need to explain this?

(67th) Elijah Qualls, 6'2" 320lbs, DT, Washington
Incredibly disruptive run stuffer.  Hard to move and his burst kept Alabama's oline on their heels. Great DT rotation with Billings.

(73rd) Taylor Moton, 6'5" 330lbs, RT, Western Michigan
Anchor at RT.  Should be day 1 starter.  

(81st) Jake Butt, 6'6" 250 lbs, TE, Michigan
Tyler Eifert is ouchy, again.  Butt should not be here but for an injury in his bowl game. Way too much talent to pass up.

4C (138th) Channing Stribling, 6'1" 175lbs, CB, Michigan
Unsung rock solid corner for the Wolverines. Imagine a Dre Kirkpatrick with better coverage skills, fluidity, and less "swag"

4C (145th) Julie’n Davenport, 6'7" 315lbs LT, Bucknell
Small school giant. Best worst kept secret in the scouting community. long, agile and good movement skills. Tuck him under Whitworth's wing and see what happens.

5 (156th) James Conner, 6'2" 230lbs, RB, Pitt
Great kid, great running back. Hard runner with great patience to set up blocks, also displays a very solid cut and go. Good out of the backfield as well.

6 (193rd) KD Cannon, 6' 180lbs, WR, Baylor
Blazing speed. Absurdly dangerous with the ball in his hands. 87 catches, 1250yards, 13 TDs last season.

6C (219th) Jalen Reeves-Maybin, 6' 230lbs, LB, Tennessee
Athletic infusion of LB core continues. Split time between safety and LB, plus coverage skills, and sideline to sideline range.

6C (221st) BPA
7 (230th) BPA

Fueled by satanism, violence, and sodomy, dinosaurs had little chance to survive as a species.

Reply/Quote
Probably better than what will actually happen. I like the way you took care of the O-line.
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2017, 05:33 AM)Burma Wrote: Ok, to understand why the Bengals have the picks that are here you need to reference another thread I made with 2 trade scenarios.

http://thebengalsboard.com/Thread-2-Quarterbacks-could-turn-this-team-around

Let's dive in.  

Offseason moves:

Cuts:
Rey Maualuga: No explanation needed.  Cap savings $3.7 mill
Adam Jones:  Just done with his act. Time to go.  Cap savings $6.333 mill
Michael Johnson: (Post June 1) Keep through training camp. Cap savings $2.875 mill
AJ McCarron: (traded) Cap savings $690k

Post cut cap space: @ $60.38 Mill

Signings: Only 1 notable signing from outside. Other camp bodies will surely follow
Datone Jones: DE (OLB for packers)  26, 6’4” 280 lbs 4 year/ $22 mill per sportrac
·         The Packers have never quite figured out how to use Jones. Initially the dropped him into a 3/4 DE role asking him to play near 300lbs, then recently moved him to OLB.  His true position though is 4/3 DE.
·         Strong, thick, powerful and agile Jones would be a massive upgrade over Hunt and also fill in as a rush DT for the departed Gillberry
·         One of the best D linemen in his draft class with outstanding measurable, production and work ethic.
·         http://www.nepatriotsdraft.com/2013/02/datone-jones-scouting-report.html

Resignings:  Bulk of cap space needs to go to bringing back key players. Until their replacements are up and running.
Andrew Whitworth: Whit has to be resigned.  There is no other option on the team or in the draft to replace his performance. 2 year/$16 mill
Kevin Zeitler: Franchise tag if no long term deal worked out. Tag is @ $14 mill for Oline
Dre Kirkpatrick: Cap savings from cutting Pacman gets tied into new Dre contract.  3 year/ $23 mill
Brandon Lafell: Worth bringing back.  1 year/ $1.5 mill
TJ Johnson: Need at least a backup at C.  1 year/ $1 mill
Ced Peerman: Worth bringing back.  1 year/ $1 mill

Other role players as needed

Cap Space after signings:   @ $27 Mill

The Draft:
(17th) Taco Charlton, 6'5" 275lbs, DE, Michigan.   
Pass rusher we have needed for quite some time. Replacement for MJ.

(41st) Raekwon McMillan, 6'1" 240lbs, LB, Ohio State
Begin the athletic overhaul of the LB core. Massive upgrade over the departed Maualuga.

(49th) Pat Elflien, 6'3" 295lbs, C, Ohio State
Do I really need to explain this?

(67th) Elijah Qualls, 6'2" 320lbs, DT, Washington
Incredibly disruptive run stuffer.  Hard to move and his burst kept Alabama's oline on their heels. Great DT rotation with Billings.

(73rd) Taylor Moton, 6'5" 330lbs, RT, Western Michigan
Anchor at RT.  Should be day 1 starter.  

(81st) Jake Butt, 6'6" 250 lbs, TE, Michigan
Tyler Eifert is ouchy, again.  Butt should not be here but for an injury in his bowl game. Way too much talent to pass up.

4C (138th) Channing Stribling, 6'1" 175lbs, CB, Michigan
Unsung rock solid corner for the Wolverines. Imagine a Dre Kirkpatrick with better coverage skills, fluidity, and less "swag"

4C (145th) Julie’n Davenport, 6'7" 315lbs LT, Bucknell
Small school giant. Best worst kept secret in the scouting community. long, agile and good movement skills. Tuck him under Whitworth's wing and see what happens.

5 (156th) James Conner, 6'2" 230lbs, RB, Pitt
Great kid, great running back. Hard runner with great patience to set up blocks, also displays a very solid cut and go. Good out of the backfield as well.

6 (193rd) KD Cannon, 6' 180lbs, WR, Baylor
Blazing speed. Absurdly dangerous with the ball in his hands. 87 catches, 1250yards, 13 TDs last season.

6C (219th) Jalen Reeves-Maybin, 6' 230lbs, LB, Tennessee
Athletic infusion of LB core continues. Split time between safety and LB, plus coverage skills, and sideline to sideline range.

6C (221st) BPA
7 (230th) BPA

Like it a lot especially elflien but I would keep pacman. u cut pacman and u lose Dre k looking at a serious weakness at corner. huge mixon fan so would take mixon in the Conner spot. love the butt elflien McMillan and moton picks. butt is the next wittten. 
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2017, 09:34 PM)Jpoore Wrote: Like it a lot especially elflien but I would keep pacman. u cut pacman and u lose Dre k looking at a serious weakness at corner. huge mixon fan so would take mixon in the Conner spot. love the butt elflien McMillan and moton picks. butt is the next wittten. 

You mean Joe Mixon? the RB from Okla. that knocked out a girl in a video? Nawww I will never be a fan of this team again if they draft that asshole. This is the last guy this team needs, we have plenty of idiots as it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_T7AqYSxZi0
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2017, 04:32 PM)TKUHL Wrote: You mean Joe Mixon? the RB from Okla. that knocked out a girl in a video? Nawww I will never be a fan of this team again if they draft that asshole. This is the last guy this team needs, we have plenty of idiots as it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_T7AqYSxZi0

Look he made a mistake 3 years ago. Are also not drafting a rb in the first 3 rounds most likely. So the only rb with a first round talent grade who will be available is mixon. He is an amazing talent and ppl. Don't wanna pick him up due to a mistake he made. He would make our team way better than it is. 
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2017, 07:54 PM)Jpoore Wrote: Look he made a mistake 3 years ago. Are also not drafting a rb in the first 3 rounds most likely. So the only rb with a first round talent grade who will be available is mixon. He is an amazing talent and ppl. Don't wanna pick him up due to a mistake he made. He would make our team way better than it is. 

A mistake that certainly would have landed most common citizens in jail.  And, then after catching a break on that one, he had another rage issue with the parking attendant.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2017, 08:29 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: A mistake that certainly would have landed most common citizens in jail.  And, then after catching a break on that one, he had another rage issue with the parking attendant.

man if no one here has torn up a ticket in front of a parking attendant.... As far as the other thing didn't land ray rice in jail. Hell if u play well nothing else matters see rapesburger. He was getting punched he hit back.
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2017, 08:34 PM)Jpoore Wrote: man if no one here has torn up a ticket in front of a parking attendant.... As far as the other thing didn't land ray rice in jail. Hell if u play well nothing else matters see rapesburger. He was getting punched he hit back.

Really?  Then why are you spending so much time and energy minimizing the guys obvious character concerns, rather than building up his stock as a player?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I think the skins are an unlikely trade partner in this scenario. Cousins posted a 97.2 passer rating while throwing for 4900+ yards, 25 TD's, and 12 INT's after posting a 100+ passer rating last year. The reason the skins would tag him is to keep him from testing the open market while they work out a long term deal. Cousins would be dumb to sign a long term deal without testing the market or being tagged. I would personally rather stay at 9 and get a Top prospect than move down unless we were getting multiple first rounders out of the deal.

The Pats reported starting point for a Garrapollo trade is a 1st and 4th. For the Bengals to only get a 3rd and 4th for McCarron would be a disappointment.

I like the Charlton, McMillan, and Qualls picks, and they should go a long way to improving the D. I'm not sold on Elflein at the top of the second, mainly because he struggled a bit down the stretch when facing better DL competition against Michigan and Clemson. This wouldn't be as much of a concern, but he's a high floor, low upside player without much more room to grow imo. Moton is a good depth/developmental pick, but that makes the Davenport pick a head scratcher. I really don't like drafting two T's in a poor tackle class, we won't carry 5 T's on the 53, Og and Fisher won't be cut, and Davenport would be a long shot for the PS. Butt is a great talent, but I don't think we need another injury prone TE or high draft pick that will likely start the year on the PUP and be behind in his development out of the gate. Connor, Cannon, and Reeves-Maybin have the potential to be late round steals.
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2017, 08:54 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Really?  Then why are you spending so much time and energy minimizing the guys obvious character concerns, rather than building up his stock as a player?
cause I have on other threads and it seems as though nobody wans to talk about his on field production but rather his one off field incident from 3 years ago. but i will tallk about his production on the field. just based off his on field production this would be more of a steal than Andrew billings was last year to get this type of rb in the 5th round who should go in the first. he played 25 games while only starting 7? I think as he got a lot less carries than Perrine. as a runner he compiled 2027 yards on only 301 attempts for a 6.7 ypc average to go along with 17 tds on the ground. as a receiver he compiled 894 yards on only 65 receptions for a 13.8 ypc average to go along with 9 tds through the air. all told from scrimmage he compiled 2921 yards on 366 plays for a 8.0 average per play to go along with 26 tds. those are right around the numbers of Dalvin cook if u double everything since cook more than doubled his touches. to get him in the 5th round? come on that would give us a great backfield of mixon and gio. oh btw he also has hands like obj(his one handed catches are NICE) and he also returns kicks for tds and plays great against good defenses. we also wouldn't tell opposing defenses its going to be a running play when mixon is on the field as opposed to hill.
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2017, 09:43 PM)Whatever Wrote: I think the skins are an unlikely trade partner in this scenario.  Cousins posted a 97.2 passer rating while throwing for 4900+ yards, 25 TD's, and 12 INT's after posting a 100+ passer rating last year.  The reason the skins would tag him is to keep him from testing the open market while they work out a long term deal.  Cousins would be dumb to sign a long term deal without testing the market or being tagged.  I would personally rather stay at 9 and get a Top prospect than move down unless we were getting multiple first rounders out of the deal.

The Pats reported starting point for a Garrapollo trade is a 1st and 4th.  For the Bengals to only get a 3rd and 4th for McCarron would be a disappointment.

I like the Charlton, McMillan, and Qualls picks, and they should go a long way to improving the D.  I'm not sold on Elflein at the top of the second, mainly because he struggled a bit down the stretch when facing better DL competition against Michigan and Clemson.  This wouldn't be as much of a concern, but he's a high floor, low upside player without much more room to grow imo.  Moton is a good depth/developmental pick, but that makes the Davenport pick a head scratcher.  I really don't like drafting two T's in a poor tackle class, we won't carry 5 T's on the 53, Og and Fisher won't be cut, and Davenport would be a long shot for the PS.  Butt is a great talent, but I don't think we need another injury prone TE or high draft pick that will likely start the year on the PUP and be behind in his development out of the gate.  Connor, Cannon, and Reeves-Maybin have the potential to be late round steals.
I agree with almost everything you said except for 2 things. 1. I think elflien struggles against u.m. and Clemson were in part due to horrible oline play besides him.  when he took on wilkins one on one he almost always got the upper hand. and as far as butt being behind on development, just like you mentioned with elflien not having much room to improve, the same goes for butt. hes great at receiving great at blocking ala witten. not sure there is much room for improvement. but if you are serious about bpa if a first rounder falls to 3rd then you are getting him. that said I could definitely see another pick there as well.
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2017, 08:34 PM)Jpoore Wrote: man if no one here has torn up a ticket in front of a parking attendant.... As far as the other thing didn't land ray rice in jail. Hell if u play well nothing else matters see rapesburger. He was getting punched he hit back.

He was smacked by a woman at least eight weight classes smaller than him who didn't even make good contact and claimed it felt like a man punched him.  Afterwards, walked out like nothing happened.  
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2017, 09:43 PM)Whatever Wrote: I think the skins are an unlikely trade partner in this scenario.  Cousins posted a 97.2 passer rating while throwing for 4900+ yards, 25 TD's, and 12 INT's after posting a 100+ passer rating last year.  The reason the skins would tag him is to keep him from testing the open market while they work out a long term deal.  Cousins would be dumb to sign a long term deal without testing the market or being tagged.  I would personally rather stay at 9 and get a Top prospect than move down unless we were getting multiple first rounders out of the deal.

The Pats reported starting point for a Garrapollo trade is a 1st and 4th.  For the Bengals to only get a 3rd and 4th for McCarron would be a disappointment.

I like the Charlton, McMillan, and Qualls picks, and they should go a long way to improving the D.  I'm not sold on Elflein at the top of the second, mainly because he struggled a bit down the stretch when facing better DL competition against Michigan and Clemson.  This wouldn't be as much of a concern, but he's a high floor, low upside player without much more room to grow imo.  Moton is a good depth/developmental pick, but that makes the Davenport pick a head scratcher.  I really don't like drafting two T's in a poor tackle class, we won't carry 5 T's on the 53, Og and Fisher won't be cut, and Davenport would be a long shot for the PS.  Butt is a great talent, but I don't think we need another injury prone TE or high draft pick that will likely start the year on the PUP and be behind in his development out of the gate.  Connor, Cannon, and Reeves-Maybin have the potential to be late round steals.

Then Bengals were reportedly offered a 1st and conditional 3rd rounder for Chad.  They looked a gift horse in the mouth and eventually settled for a 5th and a 6th.

I would argue a 3rd and a 4th would be a bit disappointing, but better than not trading McCarron and he leaves via free agency and the best the Bengals could hope for would be a 3rd round comp.
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2017, 02:30 AM)Jpoore Wrote: cause I have on other threads and it seems as though nobody wans to talk about his on field production but rather his one off field incident from 3 years ago. but i will tallk about his production on the field. just based off his on field production this would be more of a steal than Andrew billings was last year to get this type of rb in the 5th round who should go in the first. he played 25 games while only starting 7? I think as he got a lot less carries than Perrine. as a runner he compiled 2027 yards on only 301 attempts for a 6.7 ypc average to go along with 17 tds on the ground. as a receiver he compiled 894 yards on only 65 receptions for a 13.8 ypc average to go along with 9 tds through the air. all told from scrimmage he compiled 2921 yards on 366 plays for a 8.0 average per play to go along with 26 tds. those are right around the numbers of Dalvin cook if u double everything since cook more than doubled his touches. to get him in the 5th round? come on that would give us a great backfield of mixon and gio. oh btw he also has hands like obj(his one handed catches are NICE) and he also returns kicks for tds and plays great against good defenses. we also wouldn't tell opposing defenses its going to be a running play when mixon is on the field as opposed to hill.

I don't want to see him in a Bengals uniform.
Reply/Quote
I think it's pretty solid from top to bottom. I like that you cut and trade some guys all of whom I agree with, I also like the FA you resign along with Datone Jones. The draft for me would be good, lots of needs met with lots of talent/potential.
Reply/Quote