Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Burrow-5th year
(04-25-2023, 09:03 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Oh FFS

Pretty strong statement from bengals. Wouldn’t be a strong statement for any fan to say or speculate, but for the franchise to come out and say “it’s. Stepping stone and we’re gonna sing him to a long deal” pretty much guarantees it’s gonna happen. Nothing really news breaking. But this is all nothing but good news.
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2023, 08:01 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Facepalm

Mahomes and Allen both had their options picked up before getting their deals done in July and August. 

^This

I don't know how anyone could see this as anything except the next expected move to add that year to the inevitable extension, which comes next. 

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
JB story:

I was listening to Sirius and Pat Kirwan today and they were talking about QB size. He said he walked off the field near JB after the KC game and was surprised about his size. Said dude is "put together".

Means nothing, just wanted to share
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(04-25-2023, 10:13 PM)JumboTron Wrote: Just like your post.

My man coming in with fire and I am here for it  Tiger
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2023, 08:53 PM)Nately120 Wrote: This is expected.  Other than the hope that Burrow was going to get a super team friendly deal done ASAP, there is no reason to think he's going to negotiate now when the market seems to just keep going up and he may damn well be the SB MVP and the only QB to win a SB for the Bengals a year from now.

Even if Burrow was going to sign a 'super team friendly deal' they still would do this.  Burrow and his agent knew this all along, so no drama.  The whole point of drafting players, especially QBs, in the first round is to get this 5th year option.  You control good players at below market for one extra year.  The extension was always going to be for years 6, 7, etc.   

The statement the Bengals put out pretty much guarantees they've already agreed on the broad parameters of his extension.  As they said, this is literally a mechanical step.  Lock in year 5 and then finish the deal for years 6 though ??.   Burrow will want to do that sooner rather than later because he will get the huge signing bonus when he signs the extension.  ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2023, 10:15 PM)Ell Prez Wrote: Pretty strong statement from bengals. Wouldn’t be a strong statement for any fan to say or speculate, but for the franchise to come out and say “it’s. Stepping stone and we’re gonna sing him to a long deal” pretty much guarantees it’s gonna happen. Nothing really news breaking. But this is all nothing but good news.

I think they knew that some of the fanbase would lose their mind over this news, and wanted to emphasise that work is ongoing to keep Burrow. Sensible and open comms in my opinion.

Unless Burrow simply doesn't want to play in Cincinnati, there is no way we don't get a contract done. Not see anything from Joe to suggest he isn't fully invested in the Bengals. This will get done.
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2023, 09:22 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: It is good.  You get the extra year at a discount.  Any extension will be the extension plus the 5th year option.  It’s logical and correct.

Weird thought.

The absolute lack of knowledge in the Bengals fanbase is embarrassing. The Bengals fan pages on FB are an embarrassment to the city. Waiting until after May to sign Joe is another year that money does not have to be escrowed, which in turn helps sign other players like Wilson or Tee. There was never a doubt the option would be picked up. The only time teams don't do this is if they are waiting on the draft to see if they can get something better.
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2023, 10:15 PM)Ell Prez Wrote: Pretty strong statement from bengals. Wouldn’t be a strong statement for any fan to say or speculate, but for the franchise to come out and say “it’s. Stepping stone and we’re gonna sing him to a long deal” pretty much guarantees it’s gonna happen. Nothing really news breaking. But this is all nothing but good news.

Yeah, its kind of wild they tweeted that out...I was thinking the same thing. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2023, 07:08 PM)tms Wrote: Good decision. He's worth a second look.

Yeah, might have somethin' in this guy... Mellow
Reply/Quote
I like how no one sees this ending up in a Lamar situation.. Its lts all great according to the experts here...
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2023, 08:38 AM)Sled21 Wrote: The absolute lack of knowledge in the Bengals fanbase is embarrassing. The Bengals fan pages on FB are an embarrassment to the city. Waiting until after May to sign Joe is another year that money does not have to be escrowed, which in turn helps sign other players like Wilson or Tee. There was never a doubt the option would be picked up. The only time teams don't do this is if they are waiting on the draft to see if they can get something better.

We can't all be sled 21.. What would you birch about then?
Reply/Quote
The money being escrowed rule is a rule that isn't abided by. They didn't make Cleveland escrow the guaranteed money for Watson. Neither here nor there but it keeps coming up and should be addressed.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2023, 08:38 AM)Sled21 Wrote: The absolute lack of knowledge in the Bengals fanbase is embarrassing. The Bengals fan pages on FB are an embarrassment to the city. Waiting until after May to sign Joe is another year that money does not have to be escrowed, which in turn helps sign other players like Wilson or Tee. There was never a doubt the option would be picked up. The only time teams don't do this is if they are waiting on the draft to see if they can get something better.
To be fair, I don't think most people know how escrow works. That doesn't mean they have "absolute lack of knowledge" though.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-26-2023, 01:37 PM)Tony Wrote: I like how no one sees this ending up in a Lamar situation.. Its lts all great according to the experts here...

Probably because it's nothing like the Lamar situation. Rolleyes
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2023, 01:47 PM)jj22 Wrote: The money being escrowed rule is a rule that isn't abided by. They didn't make Cleveland escrow the guaranteed money for Watson. Neither here nor there but it keeps coming up and should be addressed.

I wouldn't treat Florio as a reliable source - he's wrong more often than right. The rule IS mandatory - it just is not a CBA item but rather a rule adopted by the owners via vote back when - the owners can vote to get rid of it and probably should. 

Look at the odd structure of the Jalen Hurts deal and you can tell it is designed to work around the Funding Rule. The Funding Rule requires the amount guaranteed each year to go into Escrow with a 15 million "deductible” from that amount (per Rapien, Goodberry and Liscow). Because the Browns guaranteed the whole thing up front they had to Escrow the whole balance less "deductible". 

For Hurts, instead of doing like Watson and guaranteeing everything up front it has an initial guarantee then each year more $$$ guarantees. That lets the Eagles soften the escrow hit both by splitting it up and they get to apply the "deductible" every year. Hats off to the Eagles for creative accounting. 
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2023, 01:37 PM)Tony Wrote: I like how no one sees this ending up in a Lamar situation.. Its lts all great according to the experts here...

I am shocked that you would immediately respond to information with a negative reply.....

Reply/Quote
No offense to Pally, while it is news it is really a non-story as it was pretty much a given. What is weird is that someone with a bad take lead this thread to two pages so far. Tongue

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2023, 07:53 PM)Tony Wrote: Not good.... Expected though...

We’re not gonna pay him 50 plus if we don’t got to. Thislll be the last “free” season before cap hits come. It’s our job to help him go into his new deal with a ring.
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2023, 08:13 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: No offense to Pally, while it is news it is really a non-story as it was pretty much a given.  What is weird is that someone with a bad take lead this thread to two pages so far.    Tongue

Non-story? To some it means this is a Lamar situation and Burrow will be walking in 2 years. 
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2023, 10:13 PM)JumboTron Wrote: Just like your post.

Oooohhh snap!.... Hilarious
Reply/Quote