Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Burrow Callahan ZT question
Last year the Bengals offense was a study in pure ineptness. Porous results
In pts scored , creativity ,execution , and a identity .
We draft Burrow resign AJ for a year among other moves. Now I have read where last year's
Playbook is being scrapped for LSU's playbook. I understand it.

Now here is something not brought up.
Burrow know that offense better than ZT and Callahan.
Do any of you forsee any issues in trust or judgement amongst Burrow ZT and Callahan ?
Joe Brady wasn't brought on as OC as some alluded that would be a good move

When it comes to playcalling what if Callahan or ZT call a certain play but Burrow
Being in that same down distance and facing a front he's executed well
Against has a different play in mind?
How much room does Burrow have to change the play ?

Everything is a honeymoon now but not having the preseason to work these
Things out really put the emphasis on being on the same page between
Those 3.

ZT and Callahan didn't exactly impress me last year with their playcalling
And lack of creativity
Is it possible that a Burrow could be 2 steps of ZT and Callahan ?
Reply/Quote
They are not scrapping their schemes for LSU's playbook. What they have said is that they asked Joe about his favorite plays so that they could possibly be incorporated. Some plays...not all the playbook

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(08-02-2020, 07:04 PM)pally Wrote: They are not scrapping their schemes for LSU's playbook. What they have said is that they asked Joe about his favorite plays so that they could possibly be incorporated. Some plays...not all the playbook

This.

They told him to pick his 10 favorite iirc.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(08-02-2020, 07:00 PM)impactplaya Wrote: Last year the Bengals offense was a study in pure ineptness. Porous results
We draft Burrow resign AJ for a year among other moves. Now I have read where last year's

Do any of you forsee any issues in trust or judgement amongst Burrow ZT and Callahan ?

When it comes to playcalling what if Callahan or ZT call a certain play but Burrow

Those 3.

And lack of creativity

I still remember Taylor saying that he would give Dalton a handful of plays and he would pick from them.

I see no difference except adding more of the plays Burrow had at LSU and more of the Saints system to keep Burrow 
comfortable and from what I heard from Burrow this is the case. I see only a smooth transition so far. We will know more
once we see some practice and the Offense actually running plays.

Burrow is clearly our new leader IMO.

(08-02-2020, 07:04 PM)pally Wrote: They are not scrapping their schemes for LSU's playbook.  What they have said is that they asked Joe about his favorite plays so that they could possibly be incorporated.  Some plays...not all the playbook

Heard the same and it is similar anyways to what Burrow ran at LSU. So I see no big deal here.

The big deal is Burrow adjusting to the speed of the game, getting on the same page with his Receivers and having protection.
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2020, 07:04 PM)pally Wrote: They are not scrapping their schemes for LSU's playbook.  What they have said is that they asked Joe about his favorite plays so that they could possibly be incorporated.  Some plays...not all the playbook

(08-02-2020, 07:39 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: This.

They told him to pick his 10 favorite iirc.

That is what I remember reading, as well.  Funny how things get morphed into something totally different, in such a relatively short period of time.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
One of the biggest adjustments for a QB from college to NFL is the way NFL defenses disguise coverage schemes. Joe is not going to step in and immediately know more than Callahan and Taylor.

Plus, as has already been said, They are not completely scrapping the offense. Instead they are just intigarating some stuff from LSU. And the LSU offensive scheme was not some gamechanging unbeatable scheme. It was good enough to get Brady a job in the NFL, but it was not a whole new world.

Whenever an offense struggles some fans complain about the playcalling. But their criticism is usually based on "it does not work" instead of some actual flaw in the scheme. I remember a thread about Bratkowski one time where everyone was complaining about his play calling but some were saying he ran too much and others were saying he abandoned the run too quickly. And fans complained about no creativity until Hue was our OC then they complained that he needed to "get back to basics". Last year, other than a couple of bad calls on short yardage, I don't really think play calling was a major problem last year. Our execution just sucked.

Not saying that coaching does not matter. Just go watch how the Steelers, who came into the game with no running attack, ran all over us with gadget plays that our DC had to clue how to stop. That kind of stuff does not work over the course of a full season when opposing DCS have a week to prepare, but that was a classic example of a team getting "out coached".
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2020, 07:00 PM)impactplaya Wrote: Last year the Bengals offense was a study in pure ineptness. Porous results

Those 3.

And lack of creativity

I'm with you on this. ZT has a lot to prove.

Of course, any HC with a 2 win season has a lot to prove.

Reply/Quote