Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Burrow -Chase ..stroll down memory lane
The moment Saturday is not too big for these guys…

https://youtu.be/zR2dwpgbUPI
Reply/Quote
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
I dunno..To me memory lane goes back a bit further than a few years.. 30 and 40 years qualifies better for memory lane, but if you weren't even born or were just babies at the time I guess memory lane might as well be yesterday.. LOL

*See immortal word of my old man below.. Tongue
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(01-13-2022, 03:13 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote:

Brian Flores was basically fired for not pulling off the tank job for Burrow 
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2022, 03:07 AM)CincinnatiKid Wrote: The moment Saturday is not too big for these guys…

https://youtu.be/zR2dwpgbUPI

It was such a great game.  I could not have imagined myself rooting for an SEC team, but I was all-in on Burrow.  That Clemson defense was stacked and he still 40-burgered them...and could have had more.  
Reply/Quote

That is fricking incredible.  Especially the total yards and TD/INT ratio.
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2022, 08:45 AM)Big_Ern Wrote: Brian Flores was basically fired for not pulling off the tank job for Burrow 

Hell, they could have just taken Herbert, too. Call it hindsight if you want, but Tua was always a risk (size, injuries, etc).

Reply/Quote

How far back do you want to go, because this list is not complete. He won all the games it took to take Athens High School to the Ohio AAA State Championship. Who knows what he did in PeeWee.

[Image: 5af33173ab9be.image.jpg?crop=842%2C957%2...p%2Cresize]

Quote:Burrow attended Athens High School (2011–14) in The Plains, Ohio, leading the school to three straight playoff appearances and the school's first seven playoff victories in school history.[10] During his career, he passed for 11,416 yards with 157 passing touchdowns and rushed for 2,067 yards with 27 rushing touchdowns.[11] He was awarded the state's Mr. Football Award and Gatorade Player of the Year award as a senior in 2014. He and his Bulldog teammates went 14–1 that season. He was also a standout basketball player, and was named first-team all-state at point guard his senior year.[10] Burrow was rated as a four-star football recruit, and was the eighth-highest ranked dual-threat quarterback in the class of 2015 according to the 247Sports Composite.[12] He committed to Ohio State to play football on May 27, 2014.[13][14]

In December 2019, the Athens City School District school board unanimously approved a measure to rename the school's football stadium in honor of Burrow.[15]
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2022, 08:56 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Hell, they could have just taken Herbert, too. Call it hindsight if you want, but Tua was always a risk (size, injuries, etc).

Wasn't the narrative on Herbert that his accuracy was a problem? It's interesting because we know Tua's injuries were discussed as a negative. I wonder how an NFL front office measures to what degree they are bothered or not by a perceived negative.
Reply/Quote
A lot of fans here wanted Tua over Burrow.
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2022, 10:14 AM)Sled21 Wrote: A lot of fans here wanted Tua over Burrow.

I don’t remember that. There was some OSU homers that wanted Chase Young, but I don’t recall anyone preferring a non-Burrow QB.

Reply/Quote
(01-13-2022, 10:27 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I don’t remember that. There was some OSU homers that wanted Chase Young, but I don’t recall anyone preferring a non-Burrow QB.

I do. I don't remember who they were, but I remember arguing against it because I did not think his pelvis would heal enough for him to ever get back to 100%
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2022, 08:56 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Hell, they could have just taken Herbert, too. Call it hindsight if you want, but Tua was always a risk (size, injuries, etc).

Tua? He was just another Alabama QB, looks good on paper, but never cuts it in the NFL, kind of like OSU QBs.. Last one of any significance for either team was Joe Namath.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(01-13-2022, 08:45 AM)Big_Ern Wrote: Brian Flores was basically fired for not pulling off the tank job for Burrow 

From what I've read, he has been into it with Tua and some in the front office. Also, they still could've had Herbert. The FO effed that up royally.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(01-13-2022, 10:27 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I don’t remember that. There was some OSU homers that wanted Chase Young, but I don’t recall anyone preferring a non-Burrow QB.

I wouldn't say a lot, but there were a few. Some also wanted Herbert. I was down for Herbert or Burrow, but preferred Joe. Come draft day, memories of Akili Smith crept into my mind and I began to get sick thinking Mikey would make them draft Tua....lol. 

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(01-13-2022, 10:46 AM)Wyche Wrote: From what I've read, he has been into it with Tua and some in the front office. Also, they still could've had Herbert. The FO effed that up royally.

I remember thinking they did the rebuild right. I still think stockpiling picks when rebuilding is best and we should have done that with Green/Geno/Dunlap/Dalton/WJIII etc in 2019. But it goes to show it's one thing to stockpile picks, but you do have to then cash them in right or else it's back to square 1. 

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2022, 10:49 AM)Wyche Wrote: I wouldn't say a lot, but there were a few. Some also wanted Herbert. I was down for Herbert or Burrow, but preferred Joe. Come draft day, memories of Akili Smith crept into my mind and I began to get sick thinking Mikey would make them draft Tua....lol. 

Ugh. I was excited when they took Akili, but what did I know? I remember him being happy to be a member of the Bengals so I thought that meant something special.
Reply/Quote

I agree with this, but only made my comment because I just read an article stating it and that the owner is seeing all the success of Burrow and jelous 

So glad the dolphins beat us in 2019. 
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2022, 10:46 AM)Wyche Wrote: From what I've read, he has been into it with Tua and some in the front office. Also, they still could've had Herbert. The FO effed that up royally.

I'm sure.  I hear Flores never wanted Tua and was always planning on Watson coming to town eventually.  Yes the FO effed up by taking Tua over Herbert. 
Reply/Quote

Iirc, there was one OSU Homer who wanted Chase Young(along with basically every other OSU guy every year) and Jordan Love.  There were a couple of others who wanted Young, but that was more of a "try to fix to fix the OL/tank for Trevor next year" type of plan.  There were also some "trade down for a boatload of picks" folks, as well.  There's one guy I can remember that wanted Herbert, as well.

From what I remember, while there was debate between Tua and Burrow earlier in the process, the Tua at #1 talk pretty much died during the NCG.  There were some of the trade down peeps that were like "trade down/draft Tua/use the extra picks to fill holes".  But I don't think anyone had Tua at #1 by the time the draft rolled around.
Reply/Quote