Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trent Williams trade?
Does anyone think a Trent Williams trade would benefit the Bengals? He wants out of Washington and, given the right contract structure, would be an immediate upgrade. Given the Bengals high position in each round maybe he could be had for a 3rd or 4th draft pick.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28845477/washington-redskins-let-trent-williams-seek-trade
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2020, 08:37 PM)Chezaugie Wrote: Does anyone think a Trent Williams trade would benefit the Bengals? He wants out of Washington and, given the right contract structure, would be an immediate upgrade. Given the Bengals high position in each round maybe he could be had for a 3rd or 4th draft pick.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28845477/washington-redskins-let-trent-williams-seek-trade

Has Trent played RT before?
Reply/Quote
He's going to be 32 in a few months. I don't see it being a good fit.
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2020, 08:49 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Has Trent played RT before?

I remember him playing LG a few times in 2018 but I don't remember the circumstances as to why, though.

I think it would be best to let Trent play his natural position where he's been elite for so many years and move Jonah to RT. I know they're intent on grooming Jonah to be the franchise left tackle for the next decade, as they should be, but Jonah has experience at RT from college so I don't see the harm in letting him get his feet wet by playing on the right side first. Your tackles would be set for this season and if you still bring in competition for John Miller, whether that's a low-tier FA signing or another mid-round guard, then you can sell me on the OL being in good shape next season.

This is just another reason why getting a 3rd for Dalton will really help. Worst-case scenario you trade #65 and miss out on some good receivers and maybe a linebacker but there'll still be some good talent left at #87 if we send Dalton to NE. Trent Williams missing an entire year hurt his value and he'll be 32 on an expiring contract. I don't expect teams to shell out more than a late 3rd/4th for him. #65 is a slight overpay but more than worth it.

But alas, this is just discussion as this is a very unlikely scenario the Bengals would pursue, especially if they want to build the defense through the draft.
Reply/Quote
I can't possibly see this as a good move for the Bengals to make. Everything that I've read about Trent Williams, and his situation with the Redskins is that he's malcontent, at the tail end of his career, and pretty much looking for a final payday.

I just can't envision a guy like him giving a team in transition like the Bengals a can-do, rah-rah attitude to go along with the 'old college try.

If the Bengals went that direction, I think in the end we'ed all be even less enchanted than we were with how the Cordy Glenn situation played out.

If the Bengals want to make a trade, or invest in a free agent Olineman, then it should at least be someone with more playing days left ahead of him, than behind him.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2020, 09:46 PM)Whodey614 Wrote: I remember him playing LG a few times in 2018 but I don't remember the circumstances as to why, though.

I think it would be best to let Trent play his natural position where he's been elite for so many years and move Jonah to RT. I know they're intent on grooming Jonah to be the franchise left tackle for the next decade, as they should be, but Jonah has experience at RT from college so I don't see the harm in letting him get his feet wet by playing on the right side first. Your tackles would be set for this season and if you still bring in competition for John Miller, whether that's a low-tier FA signing or another mid-round guard, then you can sell me on the OL being in good shape next season.

This is just another reason why getting a 3rd for Dalton will really help. Worst-case scenario you trade #65 and miss out on some good receivers and maybe a linebacker but there'll still be some good talent left at #87 if we send Dalton to NE. Trent Williams missing an entire year hurt his value and he'll be 32 on an expiring contract. I don't expect teams to shell out more than a late 3rd/4th for him. #65 is a slight overpay but more than worth it.

But alas, this is just discussion as this is a very unlikely scenario the Bengals would pursue, especially if they want to build the defense through the draft.

Thanks, didn't remember Trent playing Guard at all and some just cannot make the move from Left to the Right side.

Jonah can but I don't see that happening now that he is healthy he will want to be the LT of the future.

At this moment the O-lineman I am looking at are Glasgow and Fieler as the most likely. I don't see us shelling out the dough 
for Conklin or Thuney. Wish we did shell it out for one of these guys, would make the entire team so much better and would 
help Burrow and Mixon tons.

I don't see Trent as likely with his attitude he has shown or his age.
Reply/Quote
Did you all miss the part where he said he wants to be the highest paid Left Tackle in the NFL. Hard pass.... we have a left tackle. Use the money elsewhere.
Reply/Quote
Nah... Pass on Trent... If we want a guy that wont play for his team we can keep glenn
Reply/Quote
Trade Glenn for him
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2020, 09:57 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I can't possibly see this as a good move for the Bengals to make.  Everything that I've read about Trent Williams, and his situation with the Redskins is that he's malcontent, at the tail end of his career, and pretty much looking for a final payday.

Please reread up on this guy.  None of that is remotely true.  He was screwed by his organization and they are trash.  The Redskins should be absolutely ashamed of how they treated him.
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2020, 02:27 PM)motoarch Wrote: Please reread up on this guy.  None of that is remotely true.  He was screwed by his organization and they are trash.  The Redskins should be absolutely ashamed of how they treated him.

what we know

We have a LT that's on a rookie deal..

This gives us money to improve other spots...

trent wants a new deal.. Trent sat out all last year   (claiming for the medical disagreement)  

Basically we got the player for that spot already.. So why pay a ton more?
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2020, 05:02 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: what we know

We have a LT that's on a rookie deal..

This gives us money to improve other spots...

trent wants a new deal.. Trent sat out all last year   (claiming for the medical disagreement)  

Basically we got the player for that spot already.. So why pay a ton more?
I didn't say one word about taking him.

I said the Redskins treated him like shit. big difference.
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2020, 02:27 PM)motoarch Wrote: Please reread up on this guy.  None of that is remotely true.  He was screwed by his organization and they are trash.  The Redskins should be absolutely ashamed of how they treated him.

We wants $20M/per?  No, thank you.

https://redskinswire.usatoday.com/2020/03/09/trent-williams-contract-desires/

Quote:[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.72)]Trent Williams is as close as he’s ever been to finally getting out of Washington and playing for a new team. After holding out for most of the 2019 season and declaring that he would never play for the Redskins again, the seven-time Pro-Bowler’s wishes are likely about to come true.
[/color]

[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.72)]That doesn’t mean he’s about to take a discount to get out of town, though.
[/color]
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.72)]The biggest reason why Williams is seeking to be traded out of Washington is that the two parties were unable to come to an agreement on a contract extension. As a 31-year-old who has some good years left, Williams reportedly desires to become the highest-paid left tackle in the NFL. According to a report from ESPN’s John Keim, his number has been set at $20 million per year.
[/color]
Quote:[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.72)]Multiple sources said they believe he would like to become the highest-paid tackle, given his résumé. That title currently belongs to Philadelphia’s Lane Johnson, who signed a deal in November worth $18 million per year. Houston could extend Laremy Tunsil, which would push that top number higher. Several sources say Williams wants more than $20 million.[/color]
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.72)]
The Redskins have the available salary cap to give Williams such a deal, should they desire, but they obviously have no intention of doing that. However, it wouldn’t be a shock to see a team like the Cleveland Browns or Denver Broncos pony up that type of cash for the superstar lineman. Once he is on the roster, your team is that much closer to title contention.
[/color]
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.88)]Gallery[/color]

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2020, 06:37 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: We wants $20M/per?  No, thank you.

https://redskinswire.usatoday.com/2020/03/09/trent-williams-contract-desires/

Can anyone here read?  At no point did I say we should take him.
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2020, 06:54 PM)motoarch Wrote: Can anyone here read?  At no point did I say we should take him.

I apologize if you feel that way, as I never said you said we should take him.  I suggested that he's just looking for one last payday, and you were quick to jump to his defense.  Then, when it turns out that he is looking for a blockbuster payday, you want distance yourself from the issue?

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2020, 07:08 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I apologize if you feel that way, as I never said you said we should take him.  I suggested that he's just looking for one last payday, and you were quick to jump to his defense.  Then, when it turns out that he is looking for a blockbuster payday, you want distance yourself from the issue?

He was talking about the malcontent phrase.

Williams had issues with the Redskins for good reason.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2020, 07:24 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: He was talking about the malcontent phrase.

Williams had issues with the Redskins for good reason.

Hmm, millionaire issues..

Guys like me are stuck with the insurance provided by me employer.  I don't make enough to sit out a year in protest of the coverage they provided.  So, if he's so wealthy that he had no issues passing up on just short of $11M last year, it seems to me like he was acting like a malcontent.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2020, 07:45 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Hmm, millionaire issues..

Guys like me are stuck with the insurance provided by me employer.  I don't make enough to sit out a year in protest of the coverage they provided.  So, if he's so wealthy that he had no issues passing up on just short of $11M last year, it seems to me like he was acting like a malcontent.

Yeah, some can afford to do this. Mellow
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2020, 07:08 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I apologize if you feel that way, as I never said you said we should take him.  I suggested that he's just looking for one last payday, and you were quick to jump to his defense.  Then, when it turns out that he is looking for a blockbuster payday, you want distance yourself from the issue?

The dude had/has a cancer growth on his head.  He told team doctors something was wrong when he put his helmet on and asked them to check it out.  They said yeah it's nothing go play.

Football players get hit in the head, like a lot and he had a genuine concern for his health and safety and the team ignored it.  

When he went out on his own to have it diagnosed was when he discovered the cancer.

How are you shitting on this guy for doing the same thing any rational thinking person would do?  He doesn't trust the organization anymore and didn't want to play for them so he sat.  How can you blame him?

I'm not distancing myself from shit.  I never said the Bengals should sign him.  I said do your damn homework before you talk shit on someone.
Reply/Quote