Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Burrow Recruiting Collins
You'd have to think it would be hard to gauge the market on what other teams are willing to pay for Collins this late in FA and with his background. Nobody gave a high pick to gain his affordable 10M/yr 3yr deal with go guarantees.

These aren't the (2 min) Cappa negotiations where it looked like they were aggressive in going down the line to get a top guard signed quick. If his agent is asking for a lot guaranteed, Denver and Miami see the same moves the AFC teams are making.

In the article it mentioned they were not sure if they were talking short or long term. I hope that is total speculation and guess, because if things go short term and he loves Cincy, his agent may talk him into hearing out the other teams and leaving town. Hopefully Darryl Williams and Trent Brown are still out there by then. Ideally you treat Collins like the top 5 RT he is and pay him the up front money for the first 2 years of a 4 year deal. Remember we don't have Jonah long term yet and that may not come till the TV money inflates deals.
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2022, 12:48 PM)Whatever Wrote: I'd disagree with this.  Myles Garrett and TJ Watt primarily line up on the strong side, where Collins will be.

Tua's a lefty isn't he?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2022, 12:33 PM)Au165 Wrote: As odd as it sounds it doesn’t really work that way. A RT is a RT no matter the QB, mainly because your starting left handed QB can very quickly be replaced by a right handed and you aren’t paying a “blind side” premium because of that. Especially when Tua’s future is still a bit up in the air down there.

Now he may simply be worth more to Miami because of McDaniels background in SF and the value they place on O Line.

It does work that way. A RT protects a Lefty's blindside and is therefore more valuable. Now what can be debated is how much that's "worth". But there's a reason Harrison Barton was a 2-time All Pro
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(03-19-2022, 12:34 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: Not exactly.

I see him as a bit of a money chaser.  It goes back to his draft slide and announcement that he wouldn't report to any team that drafted him in the later rounds.  It seems to me as if he is a guy whose only care is the money, and thus might pass on playing for a contender if it means a bigger contract elsewhere.

Who knows.  Maybe he signs with us for league minimum since he's already made a ton and can insure Joey B, Tee, Bates, Wilson, and Chase can get theirs when the time comes.
I can see how you'd have the 'money chasers opinion of him, but that original rookie contract was only 3 years for $1.6M. I don't know what round that $ equated to back then. To me, him refusing to sign some place if drafted too late was making the best of a bad situation. Wasn't he projected to go top 10? 15? He got royally screwed assuming he knew nothing of his exs murder.

The number I'm looking at is the 3 year $30M he could have been paid if we traded for him. I think it's going to be more than that. 
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2022, 12:48 PM)Whatever Wrote: I'd disagree with this.  Myles Garrett and TJ Watt primarily line up on the strong side, where Collins will be.

Let's see if we can stop the avalanche before it really gets rolling. I'M NOT SAYING LC IS NOT VALUABLE TO THE BENGALS. I'm saying he's be protecting Tua's blindside and Miami may pay a little extra form that. 

Reply/Quote
(03-19-2022, 01:01 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Let's see if we can stop the avalanche before it really gets rolling. I'M NOT SAYING LC IS NOT VALUABLE TO THE BENGALS. I'm saying he's be protecting Tua's blindside and Miami may pay a little extra form that. 

Yep. And it’s not like Miami is a bad team. Their problem has been awful o-line play, which has hampered the entire offense
Reply/Quote
To a young guy, living in Miami is probably pretty attractive as well. Probably yo an old guy as well. LOL
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(03-19-2022, 01:04 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: Yep. And it’s not like Miami is a bad team. Their problem has been awful o-line play, which has hampered the entire offense

(03-19-2022, 01:06 PM)michaelsean Wrote: To a young guy, living in Miami is probably pretty attractive as well. Probably yo an old guy as well. LOL

....and no state income tax. If LC make $10 MIL per year, that's around $400K

Reply/Quote
(03-19-2022, 01:06 PM)michaelsean Wrote: To a young guy, living in Miami is probably pretty attractive as well. Probably yo an old guy as well. LOL

I remember watching an interview with Ja’Marr Chase’s dad, Jimmy, and he mentioned that him and Ja’Marr visited Miami right around the time of that draft, and Ja’Marr apparently couldn’t wait to get out of there. I guess it was just a bit too much for him. Or it just wasn’t his scene or whatever. Endeared him to me even more tbh.

Anyway…

[Image: sad-pablo-lonely.gif]

Reply/Quote
(03-19-2022, 11:29 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: [Image: well-waiting.gif]
I wonder how hard they partied last night? Afternoon and not a peep from no one.
Reply/Quote
I’d gladly pay 400k to play with Burrow over Tua if I had that kind of money.

Reply/Quote
(03-19-2022, 12:58 PM)bfine32 Wrote: It does work that way. A RT protects a Lefty's blindside and is therefore more valuable. Now what can be debated is how much that's "worth". But there's a reason Harrison Barton was a 2-time All Pro

No, it really doesn’t. A team is not going to pay a RT money like a LT because they currently have a left handed QB. There are so few left handed QBs, and so few work out, they simply look at the QB as the outlier in the situation. Now would an agent make this pitch? Sure, but teams aren’t signing a RT to LT money because of that it throws off too much of the general cap dynamics. The contract is instantly unmoveable if he doesn’t work out and inflated if the QB doesn’t.

Again, he may be more valuable in Miami for other reasons but it’s not because of “blind side”.
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2022, 12:23 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Block for Burrow or Tua. No brainer.

I would bet most players don’t care about this stuff as much as us fans do. They care about $ and job security. APY, guaranteed $ and years on the contract.
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2022, 01:16 PM)Ell Prez Wrote: I would bet most players don’t care about this stuff as much as us fans do. They care about $ and job security. APY, guaranteed $ and years on the contract.

Reiff said after meeting Burrow "I can't wait to block for this guy"
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2022, 01:16 PM)Au165 Wrote: No, it really doesn’t. A team is not going to pay a RT money like a LT because they currently have a left handed QB. There are so few left handed QBs they simply look at the QB as the outlier in the situation. Now would an agent make this pitch? Sure, but teams aren’t signing a RT to LT money because of that it throws off too much of the general cap dynamics. The contract is instantly unmoveable if he doesn’t work out and inflated if the QB doesn’t.

Where did I say they would pay him LT money? Did you hang out with Fred last night? 

Reply/Quote
(03-19-2022, 01:18 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Where did I say they would pay him LT money? Did you hang out with Fred last night? 

You said more valuable, if we are talking about the value basis around “blind side” then the argument would be paid like a Mid level LT rather than a mid level RT. Otherwise what the hell does your blind side argument even mean?

The blind side argument is crap? Is that better? I’m telling you Miami wants him because their line is ass and made a heavy push last night using McDaniels cool factor, no state taxes, and the Shannahan scheme that makes o line stars.
Reply/Quote
Can this be over soon?
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2022, 01:19 PM)Au165 Wrote: You said more valuable, if we are talking about the value basis around “blind side” then the argument would be paid like a Mid level LT rather than a mid level RT. Otherwise what the hell does your blind side argument even mean?

The blind side argument is crap? Is that better? I’m telling you Miami wants him because their line is ass and made a heavy push last night using McDaniels cool factor, no state taxes, and the Shannahan scheme that makes o line stars.

Well obviously you don't need me in this discussion, you've got both sides covered. So continue explaining it to yourself.

LC is more valuable to Miami because he's blocking Tua's blindside. 

Reply/Quote
(03-19-2022, 01:23 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Well obviously you don't need me in this discussion, you've got both sides covered. So continue explaining it to yourself.

LC is more valuable to Miami because he's blocking Tua's blindside. 

It doesn’t matter because a 3rd team has entered the fray supposedly, so it may be moot either way. May just be a late feeler though.
Reply/Quote
Jesus Christ, just sign the guy already...
Reply/Quote