Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How legit is this strategy?
Not just for the Bengals, because we know how they have operated up to now, but just in general. IS this something the Bengals could do, or is it something that could be done in general. 

Or, am i just full of shit? I've seen a few people say there are too many needs to fix in one offseason, but i'm not sure that's true. 

Trade Dalton, Geno and Dunlap before the draft for 2020 draft picks. 

Draft; 
#1OA--Chase Young
1st rd 15-25 (pick acquired from trades and packaging later round picks)-- Tyler Biadasz 
2nd round-- Jalen Hurts/Jacob Eason
2nd rd 48-58 (pick acquired from trades and future draft picks)--Solomon Kindley
I don't trust this team's drafting after the 3rd round so i'm willing to mortage some picks this year and next (two?) to move up and get players that are closer to a sure thing. 

Some of you aren't going to like Hurts or Eason for different reasons, but i love Hurts running ability+size and he's improved passing and Eason is a big guy with a cannon that you could work with, ala, Josh Allen.

Offensive line-- Williams/Kindley/Hopkins/Biadasz/Glenn
(alternate)--draft Kenneth Murray instead of Biadasz, sign Conklin in FA
alternate Offensive line-- Williams/Kindley/Hopkins/Glenn/Conklin

Try and sign Corey Littleton.
Defensive line-- Hubbard, Billings, Topou, Glasgow, Young, Lawson (and a couple other guys).
LBs-- Vigil, Pratt, Littleton (Evans and another guy or 2)
alternate LBs--  Murray, Pratt, Littleton (Vigil and 1 or 2 other guys)

It really pisses me off to sit here and think of ways to improve this team in the short term, because they're too damn stubborn, stupid and/or unwilling to be proactive in anything. They'll sit back, not trade anyone and just use the top pick in every round to add guys and go from there. 

Anyway...have at it and let me know how legit any of this is, or what you would tweak, that seems realistic to you. 

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
I'm going to keep saying it as I have for months, Hurts is a mirage. The problem with liking his running ability is he is a bruising runner not a speed runner. I have said that Hurts is a much smaller poor man's Cam Newton. People who run like Hurts don't survive in the NFL as seen by Cam who is 30 pounds bigger trying to do it. His throwing and decision making have been exposed a little bit more the last couple weeks, and that is against bad Big 12 defenses. To me Hurts should be a 3rd rounder and a back up behind someone like Lamar Jackson so that the Ravens can go all in on this style of offense and have a truly capable back up if needed in the short run.
Reply/Quote
I don't like how often Hurts looks to run rather than keeping his eyes downfield looking for an open receiver.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(11-25-2019, 09:12 AM)Au165 Wrote: I'm going to keep saying it as I have for months, Hurts is a mirage. The problem with liking his running ability is he is a bruising runner not a speed runner. I have said that Hurts is a much smaller poor man's Cam Newton. People who run like Hurts don't survive in the NFL as seen by Cam who is 30 pounds bigger trying to do it. His throwing and decision making have been exposed a little bit more the last couple weeks, and that is against bad Big 12 defenses. To me Hurts should be a 3rd rounder and a back up behind someone like Lamar Jackson so that the Ravens can go all in on this style of offense and have a truly capable back up if needed in the short run.

(11-25-2019, 02:30 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I don't like how often Hurts looks to run rather than keeping his eyes downfield looking for an open receiver.

Doesn't have to be Hurts. Eason, Gordon, Love...etc. 

Hurts is a coaches son, no?

I wonder how coachable he is. As you know, guys aren't always finished products coming out of school. 

I was more looking at the strategy of going Young first, QB in the 2nd and adding picks in rds 1 and 2.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(11-25-2019, 03:32 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Doesn't have to be Hurts. Eason, Gordon, Love...etc. 

Hurts is a coaches son, no?

I wonder how coachable he is. As you know, guys aren't always finished products coming out of school. 

I was more looking at the strategy of going Young first, QB in the 2nd and adding picks in rds 1 and 2.

That's the thing...there's going to be risk with any QB in this draft...even Burrow. Burrow has only been elite this year. Tua has injury risk. Herbert, Hurts, Eason, Love, etc. all have important areas they need to improve to be good NFL QBs. Fromm is more of a game manager.

I think some will think of Lamar Jackson when they see Jalen Hurts, but I see very different running styles. Jackson is such an elite athlete that he can avoid defenders very well. Hurts isn't that nimble. He won't be able to run as much in the NFL as Jackson does.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(11-25-2019, 03:45 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I think some will think of Lamar Jackson when they see Jalen Hurts, but I see very different running styles. Jackson is such an elite athlete that he can avoid defenders very well. Hurts isn't that nimble. He won't be able to run as much in the NFL as Jackson does.

Not even close to the same guy. Hurts doesn't avoid contact he actually welcomes it which is a recipe for a short career. He doesn't have the quick twitch to make guys miss like Lamar does if he wanted to. I keep comping him to Cam in running style just a smaller guy.
Reply/Quote
(11-25-2019, 03:45 PM)ochocincos Wrote: That's the thing...there's going to be risk with any QB in this draft...even Burrow. Burrow has only been elite this year. Tua has injury risk. Herbert, Hurts, Eason, Love, etc. all have important areas they need to improve to be good NFL QBs. Fromm is more of a game manager.

I think some will think of Lamar Jackson when they see Jalen Hurts, but I see very different running styles. Jackson is such an elite athlete that he can avoid defenders very well. Hurts isn't that nimble. He won't be able to run as much in the NFL as Jackson does.

Yeah. Jackson is one of a kind. Hurts reminds me of Newton with his running style but i think he could be successful as long as he didn't try to take defenders on. 

Reply/Quote
I am trying to analyze your post from a realistic perspective. I think Dalton will be traded for a 2nd round pick. Green will sign a 4 year contract extension for 15-17 mil per. Dunlap and Atkins will not be traded. Glenn most likely will be traded for a 4-5th rounder. I do not think the FO is happy with Glenn at all.

With that said; Bengals will draft Burrow. All of the QB have questions. Burrow may have performed beyond expectations for only a year but one cannot deny his success against the best college competition. Burrow passes the eye test and has intangibles of leadership and moxy. Burrow reminds me some of Esiason.

I think Young is the closest thing to a sure thing outside of Andrew Thomas. Young makes sense at a position of need. A local kid. If Bengals were going to make a statement, they could shock people and pick Young. To do so would mean someone would have to kidnap Mike Brown and place him in restraints in some remote area until after the draft.

If the Bengals drafted a later QB, I think Eason has the best arm and potential but is unpolished. He will need time to develop. Hurts fits the new wave of QB but I fear he is a system QB. So I would go Eason round two.

One possibility and this is a long shot, the Bengals may draft Anthony Gordon in later rounds. He scrambles and can make decent throws. He doesn't have the cannon of an arm but keeps plays alive. It would be risky for them to take Gordon because another late round QB would cause controversy between Finley and Gordon.

Scenario 1:
1-Young
2-Eason
3-Kindley
4-Niang
5-Errol Thompson

Scenario 2:
1-Burrow
2-Gross-Matos or Weaver
3-Kindley
4-Dye
5-Josh Jones or Cosmi

It comes down for me Young Vs. Burrow. I think the Finley experiement has shown that the Bengals really need a sure thing at QB. Burrow is as closest to a sure thing at the QB position given Tua injury. Burrow will need some help at WR and at least two OL prospects in the draft.

As bad as they are at backers, I could see some later round backers that can be very good. I also think it is realistic for the Bengals to sign Littelton next off season.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
I don't see a real chance that Eason is around at #33. If you plan on taking a QB at #33, you probably need to cross the following off the list:

Tua
Burrow
Herbert
Eason
Hurts
Love

There's too many teams that have QBs that are in the end stage of their career or need a guy to have a legit top prospect fall that far.
Reply/Quote
If Young is too good to pass up, pray that Fromm or Eason are there at the top of Round 2.

Worst case scenario you're picking a QB again in 2-3 years.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(11-25-2019, 07:01 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: I am trying to analyze your post from a realistic perspective.  I think Dalton will be traded for a 2nd round pick.  Green will sign a 4 year contract extension for 15-17 mil per.  Dunlap and Atkins will not be traded.  Glenn most likely will be traded for a 4-5th rounder.  I do not think the FO is happy with Glenn at all.  

With that said; Bengals will draft Burrow.  All of the QB have questions.  Burrow may have performed beyond expectations for only a year but one cannot deny his success against the best college competition.  Burrow passes the eye test and has intangibles of leadership and moxy.  Burrow reminds me some of Esiason.  

I think Young is the closest thing to a sure thing outside of Andrew Thomas.  Young makes sense at a position of need.  A local kid.  If Bengals were going to make a statement, they could shock people and pick Young.  To do so would mean someone would have to kidnap Mike Brown and place him in restraints in some remote area until after the draft.  

If the Bengals drafted a later QB, I think Eason has the best arm and potential but is unpolished.  He will need time to develop.  Hurts fits the new wave of QB but I fear he is a system QB.  So I would go Eason round two.

One possibility and this is a long shot, the Bengals may draft Anthony Gordon in later rounds.  He scrambles and can make decent throws.  He doesn't have the cannon of an arm but keeps plays alive.  It would be risky for them to take Gordon because another late round QB would cause controversy between Finley and Gordon.  

Scenario 1:
1-Young
2-Eason
3-Kindley
4-Niang
5-Errol Thompson

Scenario 2:
1-Burrow
2-Gross-Matos or Weaver
3-Kindley
4-Dye
5-Josh Jones or Cosmi

It comes down for me Young Vs. Burrow.  I think the Finley experiement has shown that the Bengals really need a sure thing at QB.  Burrow is as closest to a sure thing at the QB position given Tua injury.  Burrow will need some help at WR and at least two OL prospects in the draft.  

As bad as they are at backers, I could see some later round backers that can be very good.  I also think it is realistic for the Bengals to sign Littelton next off season.

Knowing how the Bengals operate and how Mike Brown likes players to fulfill their contracts. With Dalton coming back, don't be surprised to see him behind center next year and Glenn somewhere on the line as well, regardless of his outburst this year. 

We all keep thinking of things they could do but you just know they're not going to do any of it. Dalton again next year, Glenn still on the team. I'd settle for Young #1, Oline or LB #2 and Gordon #3. I'm about to give up all this because it's just going to end up in disappointment like it always does...

Reply/Quote
(11-25-2019, 05:07 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Yeah. Jackson is one of a kind. Hurts reminds me of Newton with his running style but i think he could be successful as long as he didn't try to take defenders on. 

Natural instincts are hard to change, especially when you're trying to win at the Pro level.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(11-24-2019, 11:00 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Not just for the Bengals, because we know how they have operated up to now, but just in general. IS this something the Bengals could do, or is it something that could be done in general. 

Or, am i just full of shit? I've seen a few people say there are too many needs to fix in one offseason, but i'm not sure that's true. 

Trade Dalton, Geno and Dunlap before the draft for 2020 draft picks. 

Draft; 
#1OA--Chase Young
1st rd 15-25 (pick acquired from trades and packaging later round picks)-- Tyler Biadasz 
2nd round-- Jalen Hurts/Jacob Eason
2nd rd 48-58 (pick acquired from trades and future draft picks)--Solomon Kindley
I don't trust this team's drafting after the 3rd round so i'm willing to mortage some picks this year and next (two?) to move up and get players that are closer to a sure thing. 

Some of you aren't going to like Hurts or Eason for different reasons, but i love Hurts running ability+size and he's improved passing and Eason is a big guy with a cannon that you could work with, ala, Josh Allen.

Offensive line-- Williams/Kindley/Hopkins/Biadasz/Glenn
(alternate)--draft Kenneth Murray instead of Biadasz, sign Conklin in FA
alternate Offensive line-- Williams/Kindley/Hopkins/Glenn/Conklin

Try and sign Corey Littleton.
Defensive line-- Hubbard, Billings, Topou, Glasgow, Young, Lawson (and a couple other guys).
LBs-- Vigil, Pratt, Littleton (Evans and another guy or 2)
alternate LBs--  Murray, Pratt, Littleton (Vigil and 1 or 2 other guys)

It really pisses me off to sit here and think of ways to improve this team in the short term, because they're too damn stubborn, stupid and/or unwilling to be proactive in anything. They'll sit back, not trade anyone and just use the top pick in every round to add guys and go from there. 

Anyway...have at it and let me know how legit any of this is, or what you would tweak, that seems realistic to you. 

I like the addition of Conklin.
I don't think the team keeps Glenn along with signing Conklin because of the financial impact.
I think by adding Conklin in FA and Kindley in the draft, the Bengals could get by with Miller at RG for another year.
The big drawback I see to this plan (or any other plan) though is that this OL is completely dependent on everyone remaining healthy, and we know that won't happen.
The Bengals OL has serious depth issues and it's been that way for a few years now.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote