Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Burrow/Young
(12-02-2019, 12:39 AM)swilson3828 Wrote: This whole Finley thing was an experiment during a lost season just for the coaches to see what they had in Finley.  Dalton was, and still is the man under center for the Bengals....and will STILL be the man under center next year.  Dalton is such that he's good enough not to have to draft a QB to replace him, but not really they type to take Cincy to new heights......and with the owner we have....I've now doubt Dalton will be the starting QB next season.  The Bengals will take Chase Young with the first pick.....which wouldn't be a bad choice.  Reason being is that I don't see Cincy really improving such during the off season to not be one of those team with a top pick next year. That being the case I would take Fields from Ohio State as the future of the franchise.  The QB position, unless you're just an elite passer, has turned into a wildcat QB position where you need a QB that can pass but can also scramble and run, both of with Fields can do.  Young to Cincy with the first pick in the draft.

No.

You don't pass on Burrow. Finding a franchise quarterback like Joe Burrow is a lot harder then finding a stud pass rusher like Chase Young. There's a Chase Young in the draft almost every other year.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
With the current Oline of the Bengals I'd stick with Oline college picks unless someone has faith that ol Mikey and company are suddenly going to believe in top shelf free agency and a willingness to pay top dollar for it.
The last thing I want to see is for some stud QB come in and get immediately ruined or yet another offense that just can't produce enough points to keep pace with the defense. I can just about envision the scenario where they left Findley in this week, the defense held to 6 points and they still lose..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I'm sold on Burrow because he has been so consistently good this year. A lot of QB's can turn in a clunker here and there. He been dependable.

Against his best opponents, he threw 87 percent completion vs Fla, 79 percent vs Alabama, and 76 percent vs Auburn

http://www.cfbstats.com/2019/player/365/1072202/passing/gamelog.html
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2019, 12:52 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Yep. You have to go with Burrow.

Honestly, the way this franchise is ran...landing an elite QB is the only possible route to long-term success. I just doubt Taylor will be a great coach. So that leaves landing that QB.

Burrow has some personality traits that make me think he despises losing. That would be an interesting dynamic here.

Perfectly said. I agree with every word.

Reply/Quote
(12-02-2019, 12:56 AM)jason Wrote: I'm all for taking Chase Young.

In my lifetime only 2 Bengals QBs have taken the team anywhere. They both had really good rosters around them. Chase Young is a monster, and we need monsters on this roster. Joe Burrow was called girly arm by the man who recruited him, and didn't have the stones to compete with JT Barrett and Dwayne Haskins for a starting spot. I get it; he's having a great season this one year, but Texas A&M isn't on the Bengals schedule next year. He's not gonna do anything here that Carson Palmer or Andy Dalton didn't do.

Gimme the wrecking machine.

[Image: giphy.gif]

Reply/Quote
Well, the Bengals usually stick with Ohio State players so it appears Chase Young will be the pick.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2019, 12:39 AM)swilson3828 Wrote: This whole Finley thing was an experiment during a lost season just for the coaches to see what they had in Finley.  Dalton was, and still is the man under center for the Bengals....and will STILL be the man under center next year.  Dalton is such that he's good enough not to have to draft a QB to replace him, but not really they type to take Cincy to new heights......and with the owner we have....I've now doubt Dalton will be the starting QB next season.  The Bengals will take Chase Young with the first pick.....which wouldn't be a bad choice.  Reason being is that I don't see Cincy really improving such during the off season to not be one of those team with a top pick next year. That being the case I would take Fields from Ohio State as the future of the franchise.  The QB position, unless you're just an elite passer, has turned into a wildcat QB position where you need a QB that can pass but can also scramble and run, both of with Fields can do.  Young to Cincy with the first pick in the draft.

While I would love to have Chase Young, the only way I see them not drafting Burrow is if Miami is drafting #2, and Cincy is #1 and the fins offer something ridiculous like three first rounders (a la Redskins when they moved up to get RGIII) for that one spot and they take Burrow.  While I would love this scenario (I think Burrow is a great leader, good prospect, he has zero elite traits), I think there is no way the Bengals don't take Burrow.  
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2019, 12:56 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: re: Chase Young - I know he's special and he's likely overrated due to being from OSU on this board...but I'll look past that.

We have Dunlap, Hubbard, and Lawson. How do you use Young and still get Hubbard, Dunlap, and Lawson on the field? So you take Young and likely take Lawson off the field? I guess you could move Hubbard inside like they did as a rookie...but he struggled there.

I know you need to rest guys, but it just seems like DE isn't a critical need.

LB, OL, starting TE, QB, and maybe a Safety that can cover is what I'd put our needs at.

Yes, the same way SF uses their three early first round DEs.  Rotation.  That is how the Giants stopped a record-setting Pats offense, and that is how SF will likely represent the NFC in the Super Bowl.  They held Baltimore's offense to 20 points at home on a 10AM PST start.  They have the formula.  You need talent on defense, and you need creativity and a great offensive line on offense.  
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2019, 12:52 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Yep. You have to go with Burrow.

Honestly, the way this franchise is ran...landing an elite QB is the only possible route to long-term success. I just doubt Taylor will be a great coach. So that leaves landing that QB.

Burrow has some personality traits that make me think he despises losing. That would be an interesting dynamic here.

Yep. Burrow strikes me as the kind of guy that Mike Brown runs out of town because they can't accept his commitment to mediocrity. We need more guys like that around here.
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2019, 09:18 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Yes, the same way SF uses their three early first round DEs.  Rotation.  That is how the Giants stopped a record-setting Pats offense, and that is how SF will likely represent the NFC in the Super Bowl.  They held Baltimore's offense to 20 points at home on a 10AM PST start.  They have the formula.  You need talent on defense, and you need creativity and a great offensive line on offense.  

This formula works for the Steelers too. I’m all for rebuilding the defense first — and I even posted a thread about it a few weeks ago — but unfortunately I think you and I are a shrinking minority in Bengaldom. Most fans are hoping for a shiny new quarterback and that’s what gets butts in the seats, not a shutdown defense. It looks like that’s the way the Front Office wants to go so we defense fans might as well be urinating into a hypersonic wind tunnel.

So, then, I’ve accepted the inevitable: The Bengals will pick a new quarterback in 2020. This is “Draft Day” and everyone wants Bo Callahan.
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2019, 09:31 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: This formula works for the Steelers too.  I’m all for rebuilding the defense first — and I even posted a thread about it a few weeks ago — but unfortunately I think you and I are a shrinking minority in Bengaldom.  Most fans are hoping for a shiny new quarterback and that’s what gets butts in the seats, not a shutdown defense.  It looks like that’s the way the Front Office wants to go so we defense fans might as well be urinating into a hypersonic wind tunnel.

So, then, I’ve accepted the inevitable: The Bengals will pick a new quarterback in 2020.  This is “Draft Day” and everyone wants Bo Callahan.

And facing a Cleveland team with a potentially injured starting QB (haven't heard the updates), a struggling Pats offense, etc, the defense might show that late season statistical surge that prevented any real help on that side of the ball in the offseason.  I would love two FA LBs and a stud Safety to replace Williams.  Not that it would happen, but I would love it. 

As long as they got some extra picks for the likes of Dunlap, Atkins, Dalton, and possibly Green, I would be fine with a QB but they HAVE to get some real FA in to replace the turds they drafted (Ogbuehi, Fisher, Price, etc)
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2019, 09:35 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: And facing a Cleveland team with a potentially injured starting QB (haven't heard the updates), a struggling Pats offense, etc, the defense might show that late season statistical surge that prevented any real help on that side of the ball in the offseason.  I would love two FA LBs and a stud Safety to replace Williams.  Not that it would happen, but I would love it. 

As long as they got some extra picks for the likes of Dunlap, Atkins, Dalton, and possibly Green, I would be fine with a QB but they HAVE to get some real FA in to replace the turds they drafted (Ogbuehi, Fisher, Price, etc)

Maybe Zac Taylor has some influence and he can shake Mike Brown loose from his anti-free agency stance. It’s on record: Mikey Boy hates free agency. That’s why he gives mediocre players long term deals. There are some excellent free agent cornerbacks and offensive linemen who are worth “kicking the tires” to use another Brown-ism.

Building through the draft is only one third of the equation; good teams are active in free agency and trade aggressively as well.
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2019, 08:34 AM)guyofthetiger Wrote: Well, the Bengals usually stick with Ohio State players so it appears Chase Young will be the pick.

I legit can't remember the last time we drafted an OSU player in the first round. 
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2019, 09:42 AM)pdub2005 Wrote: I legit can't remember the last time we drafted an OSU player in the first round. 

Billy Price.
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2019, 12:56 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: re: Chase Young - I know he's special and he's likely overrated due to being from OSU on this board...but I'll look past that.

We have Dunlap, Hubbard, and Lawson. How do you use Young and still get Hubbard, Dunlap, and Lawson on the field? So you take Young and likely take Lawson off the field? I guess you could move Hubbard inside like they did as a rookie...but he struggled there.

I know you need to rest guys, but it just seems like DE isn't a critical need.

LB, OL, starting TE, QB, and maybe a Safety that can cover is what I'd put our needs at.

Why the bias? The experts have him rated as best player in college football. BTW, I am a Notre Dame fan and UC fan who has no love for Ohio State.

I say Chase Young and start developing dominant lines on defense and offense
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
There’s also the distinct possibility Chase Young decides to not declare for the draft and stays at Ohio State for his senior year. As a Buckeye fan and an Ohio State alumnus I hope this happens but the Bengals fan in me wants him in orange and black as soon as possible.
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2019, 09:43 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Billy Price.

I wish I didn't remember the last time we drafted an OSU guy in the first.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Here's the thing:

This team is not as bad as its record. They rightfully shouldn't be at the top of the draft with the talent they have.

6 of their 11 losses were by a touchdown or less. If Dalton played the last two weeks (Oakland and Pittsburgh) they almost certainly win those games.

And next year they will be playing a last place schedule which means they'll play the Dolphins and Chargers/Broncos (as well as the entire AFC South, which includes the Jaguars).

Next year the Bengals will also be playing the NFC East. That division currently doesn't have a team above .500. The Redskins, Giants and Eagles are all weak, beatable teams. And Dallas doesn't look that much better either.

They'll also be in their second year with this coaching staff (unless they fire some people, but if they finish strong this season I don't see that happening) with AJ Green likely coming back (if he doesn't then that just means they were idiots for not trading him) and Jonah Williams coming back to further stabilize the Oline. Not to mention another year of draft picks that will hopefully contribute at least somewhat more than the veterans they replace.

Why am I saying all this? Because the odds of the Bengals having a top pick next year are relatively low. They have, at the bare minimum, 5 to 6 very very winnable games on the schedule next year and that's if they don't improve at all from this year to next. This team has been competitive in the majority of its losses and would have more wins if we didn't try the Finley experiment in the middle there (not that I'm complaining).

So, as a franchise, when you have the opportunity to draft the QB of the future in a lost year where everything went wrong under a rookie head coach with a 32 year old starting QB on the last year of his contract (going into 2020) who has never been elite...YOU TAKE IT.

Stop over evaluating this and looking to the 2021 draft for the potential QB solution, especially when the odds are they won't be nearly this bad in 2020. They have one staring them in the face right now (unless they foolishly win 3 games in the final 5 weeks). Don't look a gift horse in the mouth and don't talk yourself out of the future of your franchise. This is their shot to change this franchise for the next decade. Being at the top of the draft is very rare, after all (2020 will only be their 3rd top 5 pick in the last 19 years).
Reply/Quote
They win a game with Dalton and now people think the team should wait a while to get a QB. The Bengals lost 13 straight with Dalton at QB, have not won a playoff game with Dalton...ever. Dalton is not the going to be on this team next year and Finley may have played himself off this team

Bengals will draft one of these three QB:
Burrow-the right choice IMO
Tua-injured first rounder, but has the tools to be special if healthy. Sounds like something Bengals would do.
Herbert- Strong armed QB that Mike Brown seems to like, has the tools to be all pro but the fortitude and consistency of a gnat.

Herbert is the type of QB Mike Brown likes. Herbert is not a good fit with the Bengals. So odds are in his favor to be selected by the Bengals, even if Tua and Burrow are there. It would not surprise me one bit.

Burrow is probably the next great QB. His mentality and fortitude is next level. Get him RT and RG. Kick Glenn to LG and with Williams, the line will be better.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(12-02-2019, 09:15 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: While I would love to have Chase Young, the only way I see them not drafting Burrow is if Miami is drafting #2, and Cincy is #1 and the fins offer something ridiculous like three first rounders (a la Redskins when they moved up to get RGIII) for that one spot and they take Burrow.  While I would love this scenario (I think Burrow is a great leader, good prospect, he has zero elite traits), I think there is no way the Bengals don't take Burrow.  

There is a possibility the Dolphins like Tua better.  I think Tua or Hurts will be a Charger next year but the Dolphins could shock the world and take Tua with a swap with Bengals.  
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote