Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Burrow allegedly on a 25 drop back pitch count
(09-15-2021, 10:21 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Ask Zim.

FIFY.

Dear Lord, I apologize for that bad joke. Please be with the starving pygmies in Africa. Amen.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
It was a knee injury not a shoulder injury, the statement doesn't even make logical sense. The knee isn't going to fatigue from throws and the reality is it's no more taxing to throw than handing it off on outside zone runs as it's the plant leg not the drive leg that was injured.
Reply/Quote
This is the dumbest thing I have ever read. If this is the case, get in the shotgun more like they should in the first place.
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2021, 10:02 AM)Au165 Wrote: It was a knee injury not a shoulder injury, the statement doesn't even make logical sense. The knee isn't going to fatigue from throws and the reality is it's no more taxing to throw than handing it off on outside zone runs as it's the plant leg not the drive leg that was injured.

Zim mentioned the logic was to keep traffic away from his knees. I’m at work so can’t dig around for the specific tweet, but the overall plan is to keep Burrow from getting hit as much.

All allegedly, of course.
Reply/Quote
Why do people follow morons? Mixon rushed for 5.6 yards a pop in the second half. It made absolute sense to hand it off until they could stop him. If they don't make that idiotic 4th down call they win going away with even fewer drop backs.
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2021, 08:16 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Barely exceeded it and only due to overtime. 

But I have to agree that if they are trying to win a game they aren't going to avoid passing the ball due to having used 25 passes already. 

The bright side of this is that the offense should be focused more on balance and the run which is a good thing.

Damn, I already forgot that we let them tie it up in regulation!
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2021, 08:23 PM)Destro Wrote: I call shenanigans

[Image: that-settles-iteveryone-grab-a-broom-its...nigans.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2021, 07:44 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: Bengals twitter fan/personality has said that a Bengals player told him that Burrow is on a 25 drop back pitch count. Might explain some of the ‘strange’ play calling at the end. Take it with a grain of salt. Couple of tweets below.

https://mobile.twitter.com/zimwhodey/status/1437943866687164419?s=21

https://mobile.twitter.com/zimwhodey/status/1438253342241734656?s=21

Hum, 25 drop back limit and the team still game up 5 sacks last week. I wonder who told Taylor he can't call 50+ passing plays per game.

Reply/Quote
(09-17-2021, 07:15 PM)BengalChris Wrote: …I wonder who told Taylor he can't call 50+ passing plays per game.

Probably Joe Burrow himself!

While a “pitch count” of 25 attempts might be low I do wish to point out at LSU when Joe had his best games in terms of rating and touchdown passes he threw between 25 and 35 passes.

Sometimes we forget Joe had the rushing attack of Clyde Edwards-Helaire to complement his passing prowess. Similarly, Joe Mixon provides the same rushing attack potential so if Zac Taylor truly wants to recreate the LSU offense to any degree he’ll have to get Mixon involved a lot too.
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2021, 09:23 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: While a “pitch count” of 25 attempts might be low I do wish to point out at LSU when Joe had his best games in terms of rating and touchdown passes he threw between 25 and 35 passes.  

But many of those games he had 20 attempts by halftime and did not play much in the second half.  Here is how much he threw the ball in tough games

v. Texas... 39
v Auburn.. 42
v Bama.... 39
v Geo...... 38
v Okl....... 39
v Clem.... 49

The only big game where he did not throw at least 38 passes was a weird game against Florida where LSU scored 42 points but only ran 48 snaps on offense while the Gators ran 84.
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2021, 12:40 PM)fredtoast Wrote: But many of those games he had 20 attempts by halftime and did not play much in the second half.  Here is how much he threw the ball in tough games

v. Texas... 39
v Auburn.. 42
v Bama.... 39
v Geo...... 38
v Okl....... 39
v Clem.... 49

The only big game where he did not throw at least 38 passes was a weird game against Florida where LSU scored 42 points but only ran 48 snaps on offense while the Gators ran 84.

That's the thing about that stat. I did one on Dalton a couple/few years ago about what his rating looked like on certain numbers of pass attempts. He fell in the same range, best when around 30ish attempts.

Usually, one of two things happen when QBs are successful around that amount of snaps--which i wouldn't be surprised to find out most if not all are really successful there--either they're super efficient with a smaller number of attempts, which you alluded to, and score at a high rate, or you have a strong running game getting chunk yards and touchdowns. 

On a side note, that whole "balanced attack" is a bit outdated now-a-days. If a team is susceptible to the pass and you're having success early, keep passing. BB used to go into Pitt games and say eff the run and Brady would throw it 50+ times and they would win. 

If you have success running early, great, i just don't think it's as important to go into a game with the mindset that you need to be balanced. You need to go into a game with the mindset that you're going to do whater is necessary to win the game. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
Just noticed Joe is on exactly 75 attempts through 3 games so could be some truth to this. Not set in stone but as a guideline across first few weeks
Reply/Quote
If you think about it, Chicago game he threw 15 passes i believe in 1st half, and probably would have been over 25 in that game if we did not have 4 straight turnovers to end drives... hard to pass alot when you hand the ball to other team 4 drives in a run.. Last week game was just a good overall game play and Steelers had many more plays to limit us...
Reply/Quote