Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Burrow and 17 game seasons for 18 years?
(04-05-2021, 10:26 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: 9 wins and a trip to the playoffs vs 2 wins and a trip to IR

I dont care about passing yards etc... Its Wins that matter.

ZT's offense is much more about throwing the ball than anything else. cause its all he knows.

Judging a QB solely on wins and losses is downright silly. And you can point to how much Taylor had Burrow throwing, but that only makes his comp %, INT % and passer rating look better. It’s not just the yards he was racking up.

Give Burrow that 2011 defense, prime AJ, and that coaching staff and he’s obviously winning a hell of a lot more than 2.5 games.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(04-04-2021, 10:07 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Nothing like that is going to happen.  I am old enough to remember when the NFL went from 14 games to 16.  It was not that big of a deal then and it won't be now.

When does it stop? Are we going to an 18 game season next? 20?
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2021, 01:36 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: When does it stop? Are we going to an 18 game season next? 20?

I am fine with 18 (with at least 2 bye weeks).

I am a big NFL fan.  The more games the better for me.
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2021, 01:39 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I am fine with 18 (with at least 2 bye weeks).

We will see how it goes, I am just a bit skeptical about it right now.

Might not matter in the end, don't know yet.
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2021, 01:39 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I am fine with 18 (with at least 2 bye weeks).

Just hope its a better product to watch if we gonna see more of it. Not just the bengals either the NFL in general
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2021, 04:30 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Just hope its a better product to watch if we gonna see more of it.   

spoiler: it wont
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2021, 10:59 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Judging a QB solely on wins and losses is downright silly. And you can point to how much Taylor had Burrow throwing, but that only makes his comp %, INT % and passer rating look better. It’s not just the yards he was racking up.

Give Burrow that 2011 defense, prime AJ, and that coaching staff and he’s obviously winning a hell of a lot more than 2.5 games.

I love burrow and am not knocking the guy in any way...  But thats the thing we didnt You cant judge a team or player by What ifs only but what they did.

He could throw for 6000 yard but if we dont make the playoffs it means little to nothing to me.    Because its a TEAM game so a QB stats itself doesnt say if it was a successful season or not.  a lot of Big yardage games come from playing behind.    If the team was managed better for winning games he wouldnt have to throw nearly as many yards a contest and likely would not have been IR..

Hopefully we dont waste to many of his years before taylor figures it out or the Front office outs taylor.
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2021, 04:34 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: He could throw for 6000 yard but if we dont make the playoffs it means little to nothing to me.   

I think half of the posters on this board would rather see Joe Burrow break records than have the bengals be a serious super bowl contender
Reply/Quote
I don't judge a QB on stats 100%, judge on wins + stats. Normally the better the stats, the more wins. I started this thread to point out players including QB's will have a huge advantage over the HOF QB's now numbers wise. I think back to one of favorites, Johnny Unitas who was a great QB, a HOF QB, but nowhere near the records of the last 2 decades of QB's.

I am not saying Burrow will be a HOF QB, but if he can stay healthy, good chance he blows by a lot of great QB's simply do to playing more games.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2021, 10:13 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: By what possible metric?

Burrow: (10 games)

2688 yds 13 TD 5 INT 1.2 INT% 65.3 CMP% 89.8 Passer Rating

Dalton:

3398 yards 20 TD 13 INT 2.5 INT% 58.1 CMP% 80.4 Passer Rating

The big factor where Dalton had an advantage was coaching though. Marvin Lewis/Jay Gruden/Mike Zimmer>>>>>>>>>>>>Zac Taylor/Brian Callahan/Lou Anarumo.
The sad part of it is JoeyB will still have Lou/Zac as coaches again this year. Hopefully, next year the front office gets the coaching hire right.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(04-03-2021, 01:33 PM)fredtoast Wrote: This is exactly why I did not even address "wins" when comparing the rookies seasons of Burrow and Dalton.

Dalton had a MUCH better defense to help him to win games.  Yet right now I see a lot of people around here saying "Ignore the defense and just try to outscore opponents."
Fred that defense was so good that analyst projected that Bengals team as an 0-16 team. That team found leadership and a QB. Now this 2021 team can hope to find a leader and a coach capable of calling a good defense and a good offense. I think chances are we have a new coaching staff next year happens first.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2021, 09:16 PM)TJ528 Wrote: Fred that defense was so good that analyst projected that Bengals team as an 0-16 team. 

I was not talking about made up projections.  I was talking about reality.
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2021, 04:32 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: spoiler: it wont

Just like it didn't when they went from 14 to 16?

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2021, 10:36 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I was not talking about made up projections.  I was talking about reality.

And in reality your right.  That defense ended up being good.  They had Dunlap, Atkins start their dominating runs.  Andy also had a running game behind him.   

You're completely right about the coaching as well.  I'll be the first one to eat crow, but Zac will never win 10 games with this organization.  There's still way too many holes.  This is what happens when you come in and your a young coach and you want to do it your way and not the smart way. 
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2021, 01:36 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: When does it stop? Are we going to an 18 game season next? 20?

The NFL went to 16 games in 1978, so I guess it'll be 20 games in 2064.

(04-05-2021, 11:29 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Just like it didn't when they went from 14 to 16?

I'm sure someone who said 43 years ago that going to 16 games was a slippery slope has been waiting with an "I told you this would happen!" in his back pocket for decades.
Reply/Quote