Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Burrow and his grasp on this offense...
(12-06-2023, 03:58 AM)Roland Wrote: You're criticizing Joe Burrow for Zac Taylor's offense and play calling.   The big difference in this game is that they ran the ball and they stuck with running the ball.   That helped the protection and kept the linebackers and secondary honest.

Zac Taylor's running game has always stunk. He's a quarterback-focused coach and it's on him that he puts the offense so heavily on the quarterback's shoulders.  With this game plan and Burrow at QB we would have won by two touchdowns.  There were touchdown passes there for the taking that Brown wasn't seeing.

When Zac thinks about being aggressive he needs to think more in terms of attacking the defense and less in terms of going for it on fourth downs and low percentage trick plays.

Yes, Burrow takes on more than his share sometimes - usually when the game plan is not getting it done.

Our best hope is that this and the remaining games will give Zac the opportunity to see where he can make changes to put his quarterback in a position to win games without requiring them to perform heroically game after game.

I mean, there's articles about this very topic. Why is Jake Browning handing the ball off on RPOs (and having success on the road against a good run defense I might add) and Burrow isn't? 

Why can we CONSTANTLY bash the coach, but not dare say anything critical about Joe? There's absolutely merit to this post.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-06-2023, 02:06 AM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: Yeah from my eye test I think Browning does the playaction fake and rollouts better than Burrow lol, but the playaction might just work/look better because we had a run game yesterday once in a blue moon, but I also think his fake is just better. He likes playing under center and RPO, it works for him.

That's part of it, but he had a beautiful play fake against Pitt, and we handed the ball off 8 times. He's better at it. Burrow has had plenty of RPOs called while he's playing. What does he usually do on them? That's why I think this post, and article about the topic, are on to something.

Reply/Quote
I also just want to make this clear...

I don't think there is necessarily anything "wrong" with the "Joe Burrow offense". That offense is more than capable. They were top 5 in pretty much every statistical passing catergory last year and were putting up around 26 points per game when he went through a healthy stretch this year.

I just think incorporating some things to take the pressure off Joe at times (running the ball more and effectively, designed plays) would be a good thing for his mental and physical health and to take this offense to the next level.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2023, 10:48 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I think this organization has a REALLY hard time telling Joe "No". From him wanting to play in the first few games this season when he was clearly injured, to how certain aspects of this offense operate. 

I get he's the franchise and you want to make him happy...but man, at some point the coach player heiarchy has to be a thing. 

X1000
Go Benton Panthers!!
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2023, 10:47 AM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: It’s not just the Burrow passes a lot, it’s always so static. Very little motion, hardly any under center (I know he was hurt so that didn’t help) but I’m hoping he sees what this offense can be if it’s more fluid and less just drop back and play chess.

1. We run motion about as much as an average team does.
2. Motion is overrated: it can help, but doing it every moment pre-snap isn't always going to lead to better results. Also get a ton more procedure penalties as a result.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-06-2023, 11:02 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I also just want to make this clear...

I don't think there is necessarily anything "wrong" with the "Joe Burrow offense". That offense is more than capable. They were top 5 in pretty much every statistical passing catergory last year and were putting up around 26 points per game when he went through a healthy stretch this year.

I just think incorporating some things to take the pressure off Joe at times (running the ball more and effectively, designed plays) would be a good thing for his mental and physical health and to take this offense to the next level.

This. I don't see it as an indictment of Joe Burrow at all. I just want him to take a few less hits. Doing some things we saw on Monday night will also make things much easier on him and his WRs. He's sitting in on defensive meetings, he was with Jake every series on the tablet. You can bet he's taking all of this in. Like I said, this might be a good thing, and he comes back even more deadly and with more in his arsenal. 

Reply/Quote
(12-06-2023, 01:05 PM)WychesWarrior Wrote: This. I don't see it as an indictment of Joe Burrow at all. I just want him to take a few less hits. Doing some things we saw on Monday night will also make things much easier on him and his WRs. He's sitting in on defensive meetings, he was with Jake every series on the tablet. You can bet he's taking all of this in. Like I said, this might be a good thing, and he comes back even more deadly and with more in his arsenal. 

Tough deal. He hates under center and he neglects the TE. His success is hard to argue.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote