Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Burrow confident we can keep everybody
https://twitter.com/espnnfl/status/1683947806837317633?s=46&t=KykfZ347urC7n4SwKapNFg

Straight from the horses mouth.

Hardly looks like a guy who’s pissed off about his contract negotiations, just a matter of time boys and girls.
Reply/Quote
That was some subtle advertising.
Reply/Quote
(07-25-2023, 06:43 PM)BengalsLUFC Wrote: https://twitter.com/espnnfl/status/1683947806837317633?s=46&t=KykfZ347urC7n4SwKapNFg

Hardly looks like a guy who’s pissed off about his contract negotiations, just a matter of time boys and girls.

The confidence is pretty high on all sides. I mean if they keep them all and we suffer at other positions then they were all invested in the decision. No pointing fingers.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
Aka the groundwork is already laid to sign Tee.

That’s all this means
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(07-25-2023, 06:43 PM)BengalsLUFC Wrote: https://twitter.com/espnnfl/status/1683947806837317633?s=46&t=KykfZ347urC7n4SwKapNFg

The key question is, who is everybody? 

Chase & Higgins, surely. I think that is doable. 

Boyd? Reader? Chido? Wilson? Hendrickson? Some of them will likely have to go, even if we let Williams, Collins, & Mixon go in the next two years (saving roughlt $30 mil). BJ Hill would be another $10. 
Reply/Quote
He must be talking about Chase and Higgins because there is no way to keep everybody after signing Joe, Tee, and Chase.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(07-26-2023, 01:53 AM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: The key question is, who is everybody? 

Boyd? Reader? Chido? Wilson? Hendrickson? Some of them will likely have to go, even if we let Williams, Collins, & Mixon go in the next two years (saving roughlt $30 mil). BJ Hill would be another $10. 

Exactly.
They have the following guys hitting FA after 2023 or 2024 season:
- Burrow
- Higgins
- Boyd^
- Awuzie^
- Reader*
- BJ Hill*
- Hendrickson*
- Jonah Williams
- Karras*
- Irv Smith
- Mixon^
- Hilton*
- Logan Wilson
- Collins*
* = Will be 30+ years old when hitting FA
^ = Will be 29 years old when hitting FA

The guys that are going to be 30+ years old when they hit FA I think we should typically expect to depart in FA or take a very team-friendly deal to stay, possibly the 29 year olds too. The Bengals haven't typically targeted older players in recent years to sign/re-sign.
At least half of the above guys will be gone after 2024, I personally think.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(07-26-2023, 10:18 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Exactly.
They have the following guys hitting FA after 2023 or 2024 season:
- Burrow
- Higgins
- Boyd^
- Awuzie^
- Reader*
- BJ Hill*
- Hendrickson*
- Jonah Williams
- Karras*
- Irv Smith
- Mixon^
- Hilton*
- Logan Wilson
- Collins*
* = Will be 30+ years old when hitting FA
^ = Will be 29 years old when hitting FA

The guys that are going to be 30+ years old when they hit FA I think we should typically expect to depart in FA or take a very team-friendly deal to stay, possibly the 29 year olds too. The Bengals haven't typically targeted older players in recent years to sign/re-sign.
At least half of the above guys will be gone after 2024, I personally think.

Yep. Great post. 

There is some wiggle room.

If you look realistically about who makes the team, we have around $21 mil under the cap. Enough to fit in the signing bonuses for Burrow & Higgins & likely one more.  

The biggest jumps in 2024 will be Higgins going from a $3 mil salary/$10 mil hit to a $20 mil hit type, and Burrow's hit on hit 5th year option going WAAAY up. His salary bumps $18 mil. Brown makes more next year (+$6 mil). 

Boyd ($10 mil), Reader ($15 mil), Chido ($8 mil), and Williams ($12.6 mil) are the big ticket FA's. Even with a big cap increase from gambling ($20 mil?) and assuming Jonah goes, we still are gonna have to trim some. 

It is possible Reader & Boyd could be re-signed at/below their current cap numbers. Chido is iffy on that score. We could wait until after year 4 to re-up Chase. And guys like Collins & Mixon could be cut to save a bit more. 

Hitting or getting leaps from Carman, Turner, C. Jones, Murphy, Ossai, Carter, C. Jones, CTB, C. Brown, and Iosivas (or not getting them) will make some decisions for us. As will the FA's themselves. Some will take the Bates/Hurst/Bell route, some will be Pratt. 
Reply/Quote
(07-26-2023, 06:12 AM)Go Cards Wrote: He must be talking about Chase and Higgins because there is no way to keep everybody after signing Joe, Tee, and Chase.

Yup

Boyd will end up a casualty for sure, probably others? 
Reply/Quote
(07-26-2023, 06:12 AM)Go Cards Wrote: He must be talking about Chase and Higgins because there is no way to keep everybody after signing Joe, Tee, and Chase.

Agreed, he's framing it based on the guys he wants surroudning him on the field.
Reply/Quote
(07-26-2023, 01:57 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Yup

Boyd will end up a casualty for sure, probably others? 

It wouldn’t surprise me if they let Boyd test the market for his worth and then try to work something out. Basically say if you can get a great money deal we hope you do. We’d like to keep you at this amount.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(07-26-2023, 02:24 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: It wouldn’t surprise me if they let Boyd test the market for his worth and then try to work something out. Basically say if you can get a great money deal we hope you do. We’d like to keep you at this amount.

I think Boyd is totally dependent on Higgins.  The only way I think he stays is if things go far south in Tee negotiations and even then I think they tag him.  

More likely, they tag or resign Tee and enjoy the cheap long term youth at the 3 and 4 spot.  Can't justify keeping Boyd over a a defender. 
Reply/Quote
It will be tough to keep everyone because, unfortunately, NFL players don’t think about the long-term and overvalue themselves.

What I mean is that, by staying here, they’d have more job security because we won’t blow the team up and start over, but players chase guaranteed money (or perceived guaranteed money) over long-term security and (likely) more money in the long run, as well as (probably) a longer career.
Reply/Quote
(07-26-2023, 01:53 AM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: The key question is, who is everybody? 

That is the question alright Ike. You nailed it. Personally I hope we keep Reader, Wilson and Chido the most, but I am sure Chido will 
be too expensive after we extend Tee and on down the road Ja'Marr. Boyd and Trey should be gone after this year and we got insurance
in the Draft with Chuck Sizzle and Iosivas for Boyd and Myles Murphy for Trey.

We didn't draft a NT so I think DJ Reader will be extended, we drafted Corners in DJ Turner and Ivey in case Chido will leave like we think
he will. We brought back Pratt and have ADG in case Logan is too expensive, even though I think we keep Logan too. Sure hope so.
Reply/Quote
We could sign all of Reader, Trey, Wilson, Chase, and Tee but i guarantee we would not be able to keep ANY of guys like Ossai, Chido, ADG, Tufele, literally anyone of any value. Would would then have to field a team of minimum players and draft picks. The team would probably be solid but ANY injuries at all would ge fatal.
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(07-26-2023, 03:06 PM)Housh Wrote: We could sign all of Reader, Trey, Wilson, Chase, and Tee but i guarantee we would not be able to keep ANY of guys like Ossai, Chido, ADG, Tufele, literally anyone of any value. Would would then have to field a team of minimum players and draft picks. The team would probably be solid but ANY injuries at all would ge fatal.

My guess is that Trey and Reader are the odd men out. They drafted a DE this year. That was no accident.

I know this is very unlikely, but say they know Trey is leaving. Trading him for like a 2nd Round pick would be soo cool. But, we aspire to make a SB run so it doesn't make sense in that regard.
Reply/Quote
It’s fun I guess trying to figure it all out. What a guessing game. Sure long ways to go. I hope it all falls into place.

Reply/Quote
(07-26-2023, 03:12 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: My guess is that Trey and Reader are the odd men out. They drafted a DE this year. That was no accident.

I know this is very unlikely, but say they know Trey is leaving. Trading him for like a 2nd Round pick would be soo cool. But, we aspire to make a SB run so it doesn't make sense in that regard.

I would of think if DJ Reader was one of the odd men out, we would of drafted a NT. Tupou is also on the last year of his contract
and he is the only other pure NT on the team. Tufele and BJ Hill are more hybrid DT's not pure NT or 3-tech's. Zach Carter and the
UDFA in Maxwell are the 3-tech's on this team and BJ Hill CAN play 3-tech though.

Also Myles Murphy with his strenght can most definitely move inside on passing downs.

I think Reader stays because of these things and the fact he shouldn't be crazy expensive because he is a bit older and doesn't play
a ton of snaps is not known as a pass rusher, but a run stopper. Very valuable player to us is DJ Reader.

I think on Defense Chido and maybe even Logan might be the odd men out myself. We brought back Pratt and we have ADG who 
is still young and very talented. Sure hope we keep Logan Wilson though, my fellow Wyomingite...
Reply/Quote
For me, aside from Burrow & Higgins (who will get extended this year), and Chase (who will certainly be extended next year or the following), I'd say the most likely to get extensions/stay beyond 2024 are:

1. Wilson. 2024 FA. May get done this summer.
2. Reader. 2024 FA. Don't think we have room this summer. There is no replacement. New deal likely LESS than current one. We can keep & save.
-----------------
3. Boyd. 2024 FA. If we can keep at a lower number, I think a deal can be done. If Jones lights it up, a return may be doubtful.
4. Awuzie. 2024 FA. Turner is the obvious replacement.
-----------------
5. J. Williams. 2024 FA. $12.6 mil. Very likely gone. Keeping at a lower number, and letting Collins go instead, is possible. Can't see losing both in 1 year unless Carman blossoms.

There are also some guys under contract we couod save $$ by releasing next year:

Player, Salary/Dead Cap
1. Hendrickson. $17.5/$2.5.
2. BJ Hill $10.8/$3.3
3. Hubbard $10.15/$4.0
4. Cappa $9.25/$4.5
5. Collins $8.7/$1.7
6. Mixon $8.5/$2.75
7. Hilton $7.45/$1.0
8. Karras $7.4/$1.0
9. Scott $4.3/$2.0

But I do not think we'll look to jettison kep pieces under contract if they are contributing at a high level.
Reply/Quote
Every time Joe opens his mouth, I think the same thing:

What a joy it is to follow this team right now.
Reply/Quote