Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Burrow confirms ruptured appendix
Joe today confirmed his appendix did in fact rupture. He is still trying to regain the weight he lost by eating everything in sight, get the core re-engaged, and rebuild stamina.
Today he will participate in 11 on 11 drills but he will not play in the preseason at all.

He is glad it happened in the preseason but lamented that it would be nice to have an entirely normal off-season for a change. He said all he knows in his career is setbacks and having to overcome them

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
No need to rush him at this point
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2022, 01:19 PM)pally Wrote: Joe today confirmed his appendix did in fact rupture.  He is still trying to regain the weight he lost by eating everything in sight, get the core re-engaged, and rebuild stamina.  
Today he will participate in 11 on 11 drills but he will not play in the preseason at all.

He is glad it happened in the preseason but lamented that it would be nice to have an entirely normal off-season for a change.  He said all he knows in his career is setbacks and having to overcome them

Maybe Part of his Second Contract is a Bonus for a Full Training camp lol

But yeah Glad it happened when it did and not in the middle of the season or on the field in a game
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2022, 01:19 PM)pally Wrote: Joe today confirmed his appendix did in fact rupture. He is still trying to regain the weight he lost by eating everything in sight, get the core re-engaged, and rebuild stamina.

He is glad it happened in the preseason but lamented that it would be nice to have an entirely normal off-season for a change. He said all he knows in his career is setbacks and having to overcome them

Which is what I continually point out to people. This will be no different.

Reply/Quote
(08-17-2022, 01:27 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Which is what I continually point out to people. This will be no different.

those setbacks put the chip on his shoulder that drives his entire game

Reply/Quote
This most likely means he was fighting through pain for a couple of days. Kid needs to learn to be selfish sometimes. It's like A-A-Rod said last year: "slide".
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(08-17-2022, 01:53 PM)bfine32 Wrote: This most likely means he was fighting through pain for a couple of days. Kid needs to learn to be selfish sometimes. It's like A-A-Rod said last year: "slide".

He said he had an atypical presentation of appendicitis.  If he wasn't showing a fever, it would have been very easy for a healthy young man, like Joe, to blame symptoms on an early training camp practice in the heat.

Reply/Quote
(08-17-2022, 02:01 PM)pally Wrote: He said he had an atypical presentation of appendicitis.  If he wasn't showing a fever, it would have been very easy for a healthy young man, like Joe, to blame symptoms on an early training camp practice in the heat.

Mine nearly ruptured back in 2006 because I didn't have a typical presentation of symptoms. The pain was in the wrong place, it wasn't rebound pain, and I didn't have a fever. Had I waited much longer, it probably would have ruptured. I still remember the CT tech swearing in shock when she saw it on the scan.
Reply/Quote
This sounds like it was pretty bad. Guess I'm glad I didn't realize how bad it was at the time:

"What initially felt like discomfort for Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow turned into a more serious and pressing matter, he said Wednesday."

"Information available at the time indicated that it was more of a routine procedure. However, that proved not to be the case once Burrow was examined."

"Burrow said that he lacked the preferred velocity on his throws, a side effect of the surgery.

'When they cut into you and do all that stuff your core is going to lose some muscle and some strength just getting that back,' Burrow said."

"'I'd like to have a normal offseason at some point,' Burrow said. 'That would be great. Going into the season feeling as good as I can, but that hasn't been the reality for three years. Make the most of what you got.'

"'We'll try again next year.'"

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/34413347/cincinnati-bengals-qb-joe-burrow-says-appendix-ruptured-prompting-surgery
Reply/Quote
I’m glad he’s OK.At this point I think he’ll be fine after he puts on the weight and gets his core strength back.Taylor said they’re going to bring him along slowly.Joe is starting to feel better now,and Taylor said he’ll want to go at it,but he said we’re going to hold him back and really take our time with him.
Reply/Quote
I don't know what to believe anymore. I do know all inflamed appendices leak- I guess they're all technically "ruptures" to some extent. But Joe's talking like he suffered the worst-case scenario. Which is just bizarre. I wouldn't believe it from anyone unless it came from him. I guess it depends on how far the infection spread. But the fact that he's out there on a cart two days post-surgery isn't tough; it seems impossible. Granted, who knows what types of antibiotics they have access to these days, esp at his level.

All I know is that he needn't worry about it again. That's a good thing. Other than a kidney stone, he's pretty safe for things that "pop" up out of nowhere... no pun intended lol
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2022, 01:23 PM)Go Cards Wrote: No need to rush him at this point

I agree.  He played in 21 regular season and post season to Super Bowl games into 2022.   I don't want to see him in preseason anyway, he gets hit enough in regular season. 

Bengals do kind of need him for season opener against Steelers.  If it wasn't a Division Game, but it is.  I have No Faith in Bengals back-up quarterbacks who have never shown me anything.  With Burrow, I think Bengals beat Steelers.  Without Burrow, I think Bengals take a loss to Steelers and Not how you want to start season.  However if Burrow is still not ready, you have to bench him and look past this one game. 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
I had a feeling that's what it was after sports writers pointed out the antibiotic tap on his arm and his weight loss. Still scary to here it officially. I guess the timing worked out from a football standpoint and we still have a month before the regular season. Glad he's okay and hopefully feeling 100 percent by week 1.
Reply/Quote