Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FAs Darrin Simmons wants to keep for ST
(01-05-2021, 02:37 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Combined 2019 and 2020 would have Erickson at 4 PR fumbles.
It would take some calculation, but I don't see many being above 4 across two years.
I see Deonte Harris and Ray Ray McCloud being at 5 total across two years from the list you posted.
If only Harris and McCloud have more over the past two seasons, that would technically make Erickson tied for 3rd with a handful of others.

I know for a fact that Alex Erickson fumbled more than once this year.

My only explanation for Sled's numbers is either a.) they're simply wrong or b.) they only account for fumbles lost.

The guy has put the ball on the ground on punt returns an asbolute minimum of 2 times this season.
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2021, 02:41 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: NFL.com is missing data, I think. It only says he has 12 returns on the season. If you look at any other stat sources, it has Erickson with over 20 returns. It also has Erickson with only eight fair catches, while most others have him with 20. He fielded the ball more than 20 times this season.

NFL.com says he had 23 punt returns this year, which matches up to what Pro-Football-Reference says.

https://www.nfl.com/stats/player-stats/category/punt-returns/2020/REG/all/puntreturns/DESC
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/E/EricAl01.htm
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2021, 02:46 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: I know for a fact that Alex Erickson fumbled more than once this year.

My only explanation for Sled's numbers is either a.) they're simply wrong or b.) they only account for fumbles lost.

The guy has put the ball on the ground on punt returns an asbolute minimum of 2 times this season.

It might be fumbles lost vs actual times fumbling.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-05-2021, 02:49 PM)ochocincos Wrote: NFL.com says he had 23 punt returns this year, which matches up to what Pro-Football-Reference says.

https://www.nfl.com/stats/player-stats/category/punt-returns/2020/REG/all/puntreturns/DESC
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/E/EricAl01.htm

How weird. When I type in NFL punt return fumbles and go to NFL.com, it has him with only 12 returns and 106 yards.
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2021, 12:41 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Alex Erickson? Seriously? The dude must be a great locker room guy or something.

He just finished 5th in the league in punt return average.  That is the second time he has finished in the top ten.  He was 8th in 2018.

He has also finished in the top FIVE in kickoff return average twice (2nd in 2015, 5th in 2018)
Reply/Quote
Erickson does have a problem holding onto the ball, and that is very bad for a return man.

Perhaps the sites that list his "fumbles" don't count "muffed returns" (where he never had possession of the ball) the same as a fumble. But that does not make a lot of sense.
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2021, 01:26 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Dear god, we benched Ross after one fumble but let this guy put 6 on the ground in 2017!

I have been on the anti-Ross bandwagon for years, but I was surprised ( not really ) that they didn't ever have him in as a return man.
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2021, 12:59 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: The only coach on the team i really trust with player evaluations...

Same, fine with whatever he does. Damn good coach in Simmons. The only one I can say we have, sad... Sad
Reply/Quote
Maybe we'll taken Devonta Smith at #6. He had 219 punt return yards on only 9 returns.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(01-05-2021, 07:07 PM)fredtoast Wrote:   He was 8th in 2018.

According to this he was 9th out 19: https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2018/returns.htm

*Sort punt return average by clicking on "Y/R" under "Punt Returns".  (I know you know this, but in case anyone else wants to check)

9th out of 19 is nothing to get overly excited about.
Reply/Quote
I actually dont think he's far off here. We have 27 free agents in the offseason, of which most really wont be missed IMHO. I could see this scenerio:

ranked in importance: (re-signs)

1) Huber
2) Wilson
3) Harris
4) Carter
5) Erickson

--this group combined should not exceed 10 million, huber/wilson(6), if more than I sign the top 4

other re-signs (order)

1) M. Alexander-SCB
2) C.Lawson-Edge
3) S.Perine-#3 RB
4) B. Allen-BQB
5) C.Covington-DT
6) J. Bynes-LB
7) M. Thomas-ST #6 WR

-I left off WJ111 as we will be outbid, and $$ should be spent on O/D lines instead, the only FA I think we will have over 3.5 million is going to be Lawson. I think were in great shape to re-work the roster. Then if we add cuts:

Cuts:

1) G. Atkins
2) B. Hart
3) BJ Finney

--adds another @ 18 million!!!
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2021, 07:58 PM)schroomytunes Wrote: I actually dont think he's far off here. We have 27 free agents in the offseason, of which most really wont be missed IMHO. I could see this scenerio:

ranked in importance: (re-signs)

1) Huber
2) Wilson
3) Harris
4) Carter
5) Erickson

--this group combined should not exceed 10 million, huber/wilson(6), if more than I sign the top 4

other re-signs (order)

1) M. Alexander-SCB
2) C.Lawson-Edge
3) S.Perine-#3 RB
4) B. Allen-BQB
5) C.Covington-DT
6) J. Bynes-LB
7) M. Thomas-ST #6 WR

-I left off WJ111 as we will be outbid, and $$ should be spent on O/D lines instead, the only FA I think we will have over 3.5 million is going to be Lawson. I think were in great shape to re-work the roster. Then if we add cuts:

Cuts:

1) G. Atkins
2) B. Hart
3) BJ Finney

--adds another @ 18 million!!!

Pretty well thought out post.  I always appreciate someone who takes the time to give a fair and detailed take. :andy:
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2021, 07:49 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: 9th out of 19 is nothing to get overly excited about.

He was top half of the league, and that is nothing to ***** and moan about either.

League average was 8.5 ypr and Erickson was 25% better than that.
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2021, 07:11 PM)Destro Wrote: I have been on the anti-Ross bandwagon for years, but I was surprised ( not really ) that they didn't ever have him in as a return man.

Same here.
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2021, 07:11 PM)Destro Wrote: I have been on the anti-Ross bandwagon for years, but I was surprised ( not really ) that they didn't ever have him in as a return man.

My thoughts were maybe he refused to do it?? Which wouldn’t be a wise choice if you’re a guy itching to play.
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2021, 09:03 PM)fredtoast Wrote: He was top half of the league, and that is nothing to ***** and moan about either.

League average was 8.5 ypr and Erickson was 25% better than that.

I didn't realize that merely pointing out that 9th out of 19 isn't that impressive is "b%tching and moaning".

The problem isn't his return average, it's that he puts the ball on the ground way too much.  That and we basically carry a roster spot for him to only to return punts.

I'd much rather have guy that ranks average, or even slightly below average, that takes better care of the football, and actually has future upside at his given position.
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2021, 09:30 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: I didn't realize that merely pointing out that 9th out of 19 isn't that impressive is "b%tching and moaning".

The problem isn't his return average, it's that he puts the ball on the ground way too much.  That and we basically carry a roster spot for him to only to return punts.

I'd much rather have guy that ranks average, or even slightly below average, that takes better care of the football, and actually has future upside at his given position.

Watch out, somebody will bring up his stats vs the Texans. His catch % was 100% so he is better than DHopkins lol
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2021, 07:07 PM)fredtoast Wrote: He just finished 5th in the league in punt return average.  That is the second time he has finished in the top ten.  He was 8th in 2018.

He has also finished in the top FIVE in kickoff return average twice (2nd in 2015, 5th in 2018)

I guess my eye test failed me, it seemed like he was always going backwards.
Reply/Quote
I'd only bring Erickson back on a 1 year deal and have him battle for a roster spot this year.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2021, 12:41 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Alex Erickson? Seriously? The dude must be a great locker room guy or something.

He's good, he had 1 fumble, so did Gio that game I think. They are reliable players nonetheless.

I support him.  
Reply/Quote