Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
Burrow missed a lot of throws today
(01-08-2023, 08:12 PM)chopperbobby Wrote: Just imagine how good they could be if they played both halves.   They would be unstoppable.

yessir so frustrating
Reply/Quote
I am hopeful that the offense kept it somewhat vanilla today because they knew they were going to win and they knew they were likely playing them again next week.

With that said, I'm not gonna lie, only winning by 11 when their offense was playing almost exclusively back ups and turned the ball over 4 times is concerning. Our offense looked stagnant most of the second half with a lot of missed passes by Burrow and a terrible rushing offense. Burrow was running for his life for a good portion of the game and the defense seemed to be on our receivers like white on rice for most of the game.

The good news is the Ravens were playing almost all their defensive starters, so they should be able to study this game and be better on offense next week. Zac had some pretty silly play calls today like the 4th down play and a few too many quick screens though which i hope was part of the "vanilla game plan."

Our defense looked pretty good but they were playing against all back ups so I don't know if there's much to take away from that. There were at least a few passes by the QB that were just so far off line but i wouldnt expect Jackson to miss, one being in the end zone. There was a drive in there that it looked like the passing defense was falling apart but they regrouped the following series. I just hope Jackson doesn't come back this week and carve us up.

I think we SHOULD win next week but division opponents are always tough and we have a bad track record of playing divisional opponents in the playoffs. We'll see how this coming week goes.
Reply/Quote
Only 20 runs and 42 passes against one of the best pass defenses in the NFL? Um, Zac?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2023, 10:28 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Only 20 runs and 42 passes against one of the best pass defenses in the NFL?  Um, Zac?

Mixon and Perine ran 17 times for only 45 yards, or 2.6 yards/carry.  (The other 3 were Burrow.)  They had no success running. 
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2023, 10:35 PM)Nepa Wrote: Mixon and Perine ran 17 times for only 45 yards, or 2.6 yards/carry.  (The other 3 were Burrow.)  They had no success running. 

They needed to mix it in there more when the defense didn't expect it, and late to kill the clock.

When all is said and done, they need to pass the ball effectively to win against the Ravens. 
When they do that they can mix in the run more effectively.

It boils down to executing on the plays that are there. 
The film should tell the story of how to score on that defense.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Burrow will bounce back fundamentals and raising level of play for playoffs. He works as hard as anyone in the game to prepare, he just didn't know who he was playing till Thursday night.

Burrows pump fake to Jamarr on the 1-yard route that opened up Tee I think it was in the endzone that Burrow missed the throw on was a thing of beauty. They bit hard on that pump fake Joe needs to do more pump fakes to get guys opened when guys are covered just to see if the D bites on them.
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2023, 10:06 PM)Nepa Wrote: Mixon and Perine combined for 17 carries for only 45 yards (2.6 yards/carry). I don't know what the Ravens were doing, but the Bengals couldn't run the ball. (One long run for Perine nullified by holding.)

I don't know if the Bengals can run effectively. They had three or four games where it worked, but that is the exception rather than the rule. The Bengals seem totally reliant on the arm of Burrow.  Which also means a clean pocket, which they didn't have today.

And that lack of running will continue with the right side of their offensive line out. Ravens just able to play really tough press man coverage as it takes receivers a little bit of time to get off that and yet still generate a nice pass rush. Going to be tough for the Bengals to score points next week.
Reply/Quote