Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Burrow needs to hand off alot...
Have you noticed the shift in NFL of late.. running game is back with play action. Top 4 teams rushing in playoffs 6 out of 10 in playoffs. Passing zero in top 4 and just 3 of the top 10... Go Mixon Go..
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2020, 10:47 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Have you noticed the shift in NFL of late.. running game is back with play action. Top 4 teams rushing in playoffs 6 out of 10 in playoffs. Passing zero in top 4 and just 3 of the top 10...  Go Mixon Go..

Currently watching the 49ers destroy the pack with an onslaught of running plays but they have something the Bengals will need if they expect Mixon to excel, blockers.
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2020, 10:55 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: Currently watching the 49ers destroy the pack with an onslaught of running plays but they have something the Bengals will need if they expect Mixon to excel, blockers.

I really wand KC to win just because of my lifelong hatred of SF.. Mellow
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
We're actually well built for a young QB if the team plays like it did at the end of the season.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
It would have been nice to see Trayveon for a carry or two. To see what we have there. Now I want to draft Clyde Edwards. But it would be such a luxury pick
Reply/Quote
One would hope that ZT and Duke are taking notes on how the Niners and Titans made their runs this season.

Build the trenches and we are set.
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2020, 10:55 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: Currently watching the 49ers destroy the pack with an onslaught of running plays but they have something the Bengals will need if they expect Mixon to excel, blockers.

Mixon excelled in last 4 to 5 games so that is a good sign
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2020, 10:47 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Have you noticed the shift in NFL of late.. running game is back with play action. Top 4 teams rushing in playoffs 6 out of 10 in playoffs. Passing zero in top 4 and just 3 of the top 10...  Go Mixon Go..

I hope Taylor was watching how they would use WRs like Samual (who is a certified DOG) and his backs on end-arounds, jet sweeps, etc.  Rarely did he just run in to a pile of waiting tacklers.  The defense got ran side-to-side all day, and SF called off the dogs.  Even when it was evident all they were doing was running the ball, GB couldn't stop it.  

And that would need to include Gio and perhaps Williams so Mixon isn't overworked.  I know everyone will just say that Ross will get injured but after several sweeps, they ran a reverse and it was wide open.  I think Ross in space, even if there is one guy that stays home, could be deadly.  
Reply/Quote
Yes. That's why so many of us want to draft lineman early. Great play action attacks are super deadly if both running game and passing game are effective.
Reply/Quote

bu..bu..but Mike will not find that appealing.   Nervous
Reply/Quote
This is the ultimate knee jerk reaction.
Reply/Quote
I agree and disagree (AU165's got it right).

I mean, look at the Chefs game; Titans couldn't run it worth a damn, put the ball in Tannehill's hand and they were screwed.

The run game indeed helped out the Titans in the first two games, but if you have a QB that can pick your team apart (Mahomes), you will be behind and you can't run it 40 times a game.

Balanced is still the way to go.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2020, 10:28 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: I agree and disagree (AU165's got it right).

I mean, look at the Chefs game; Titans couldn't run it worth a damn, put the ball  in Tannehill's hand and they were screwed.

The run game indeed helped out the Titans in the first two games, but if you have a QB that can pick your team apart (Mahomes), you will be behind and you can't run it 40 times a game.

Indeed

A strong running game is a QB's best friend for sure. But a well balanced team has much better chances of winning in any situation. 
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2020, 01:13 AM)Whodey614 Wrote: One would hope that ZT and Duke are taking notes on how the Niners and Titans made their runs this season.

Build the trenches and we are set.

and CALL RUN PLAYS....  if burrow is asked to pass 60 plays a game out the gate with our current OL it could get bad fast.
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2020, 11:21 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: and CALL RUN PLAYS....  if burrow is asked to pass 60 plays a game out the gate with our current OL it could get bad fast.

Just like our playoff games. If something is working, stick with it until they show they can stop it. But NOOOOOOO.... Mr.Play-not-to-lose had the bright idea of not doing what we do best because he was afraid the other side might figure it out - so he killed it before they did.

I really hope that if there is success in a game that we go with it down to the nub.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
(01-20-2020, 10:28 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: I agree and disagree (AU165's got it right).

I mean, look at the Chefs game; Titans couldn't run it worth a damn, put the ball  in Tannehill's hand and they were screwed.

This and SF defense is a big reason as well.  

Yet a great running game does not hurt at all.  

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2020, 02:41 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Mixon excelled in last 4 to 5 games so that is a good sign

The Bengals played the Browns twice (30th rush D) and the Dolphins (27th rush D) in the last 4 games of the season.

He did well against the 6th ranked Patriots rush D, but then you have to look at the context that when you lose by 21 points, they are going to let you run all day long for decent gains because it's in their interest to let the clock run and end the game.

Mixon's 4 100-yard games in 2019 came against...
Browns 30th rush D
Browns 30th rush D
36 point loss against the Ravens
21 point loss against the Patriots

Also worth noting that Mixon averaged under 2.5 yards per carry in 2 of the last 5 games of the season. I wouldn't call that "excelled".

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

Mixon vs Browns' 30th Rush D: 49 carries/308 yards (6.29 YPC)/3 rush TD
Mixon vs other 14 games: 229 carries/829 yards (3.62 YPC)/2 rush TD

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote

If you notice what these teams also do to make sure defenses play back on their heels is they use end-around plays quite a bit with their speedsters after defenses bite and shift to one side...A thing of beauty..
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2020, 12:29 PM)higgy100 Wrote: If you notice what these teams also do to make sure defenses play back on their heels is they use end-around plays quite a bit with their speedsters after defenses bite and shift to one side...A thing of beauty..

The fear of the run game and the fear of getting beaten on deep passes compliment each other. The days of riding" three yards and a cloud of dust" to a championship are long gone. Not only balance but using the right plays at the right time are the difference between a successful season and a mid pack also ran. Hopefully the Bengals let Burrow loose to change plays at the los to utilize his intelligence of what the defense is trying to do in real time. 
Reply/Quote
Let's take a look at last year's offseason and draft and see if ZT and the front office thought the O-line needed help:

Drafted Jonah Williams
Signed Miller
Drafted Jordan
Tried to move up in the draft to get an O-lineman

I get why people don't think they value the o-line, but the reality is that they made a significant effort to upgrade the line
Reply/Quote