Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Burrow needs to hand off alot...
(01-20-2020, 08:18 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: True, they both need to grow in this aspect in the NFL.

Just means they have it in them.

Or someone just badly misjudged, yet there's nobody to be fired because it's a nepotistic hellhole with zero punishment for failure.   Ninja

(01-20-2020, 08:34 PM)Synric Wrote: Over 800 of Mixons yards (4.6 YPC) and all of his TDs came in the last 8 games after the blocking change during the by week.

308 of Mixons yards (6.29 YPC) and 60% of his TDs came in the 2 games against the Browns' 30th ranked run defense.

250 more of those yards (4.55 YPC) and 0% of his TDs came in the 2 games where they lost by a combined score of 83-26 where the other teams were happy to let him get decent gains in exchange for the game to end quicker. (Nobody tries to stop you running when you're down 3+ scores.)

That leaves 259 yards (3.60 YPC) and 40% of his TDs in the other 4 games.

- - - - - - - - -

Lets just say when you look closer at what happened, I am not drinking the kool aid on the whole magical-turnaround-run-game-is-fixed narrative.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2020, 09:05 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Or someone just badly misjudged, yet there's nobody to be fired because it's a nepotistic hellhole with zero punishment for failure.   Ninja

308 of Mixons yards (6.29 YPC) and 60% of his TDs came in the 2 games against the Browns' 30th ranked run defense.

250 more of those yards (4.55 YPC) and 0% of his TDs came in the 2 games where they lost by a combined score of 83-26 where the other teams were happy to let him get decent gains in exchange for the game to end quicker. (Nobody tries to stop you running when you're down 3+ scores.)

That leaves 259 yards (3.60 YPC) and 40% of his TDs in the other 4 games.

- - - - - - - - -

Lets just say when you look closer at what happened, I am not drinking the kool aid on the whole magical-turnaround-run-game-is-fixed narrative.

Let's just say he improved drastically when running the inside zone/pull they did in the second half of the season compared to the outside zone stretch in the first half. 

What would the stats look like if they didnt change or if they ran that scheme from game one?
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2020, 04:31 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Which is a terrible way to gauge if a RB is top-10 or not. There's more than just "yArDs" that goes into it.

Here's Mixon and the 6 RBs behind him on the rushing yards list...

Joe Mixon: 1,137 yards (4.1 YPC)/5 TD  in 16 games
Dalvin Cook: 1,135 yards (4.5 YPC)/13 TD  in 14 games
Marlon Mack: 1,091 yards (4.4 YPC)/8 TD  in 14 games
Aaron Jones: 1,084 yards (4.6 YPC)/16 TD  in 16 games
Carlos Hyde: 1,070 yards (4.4 YPC)/6 TD  in 16 games
Mark Ingram: 1,018 yards (5.0 YPC)/10 TD  in 15 games
Saquon Barkley: 1,003 yards (4.6 YPC)/6 TD  in 13 games

According to your method, Joe Mixon is a better RB than Dalvin Cook because he got 2 more rushing yards... despite averaging .4 yards less per carry, and having 8 less TDs and doing it in 2 less games.

- - - - - - - - 

Does YPC and TDs (and, you know, context) not matter, or do you just want to skew stats to fit your view?
Does the rushing title go to the best ypc or touchdowns? Hell no. Unless I am mistaken it goes to the RB with the most yards. Always has and always will.You want to skew the facts don't you? Touche
Reply/Quote
It’s gonna cost 18,491,000 to franchise aj
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2020, 02:46 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Lol, how do you figure Top 10? He's not even the 3rd best RB in the division. (Chubb, Ingram, Hunt).. unless you're going purely on 2019 rushing yard total and ignoring important things like YPC, TDs, and great running backs who got hurt.

There's zero chance Mixon is a Top-10 RB in the NFL.

There are 4 Pro Bowl RBs in the AFCN alone and Joe Mixon isn't one of them, but I would still have him only tied for 4th best RB in the division.

You serious, Clark?

Mixon is absolutely a top 10 RB. Back-to-back 1k yds seasons behind this OL...

If he played in SF he’d have like 200 yds a game lol

Reply/Quote
(01-20-2020, 09:48 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: You serious, Clark?

Mixon is absolutely a top 10 RB. Back-to-back 1k yds seasons behind this OL...

If he played in SF he’d have like 200 yds a game lol

Agreed, TLL can post all the stats he wants but behind a great O-line like San Fran or Dallas he would be great.

We just need to get our O-line up to par and we will see. Henry wasn't great against Kansas City yesterday was he?

Reason? Kansas City took away the run game with their D-line and LB's because they knew they were going to run it.

Once again proving you need to be balanced on Offense, one thing we need to do is re-sign Mixon who averaged a much better Yard per carry average than Gio which is not a coincidence or luck. Mixon is just that much better of a runner who can punish defenders and could be one of the best RB's in the league if used properly. I don't understand why some hate on our good players, I hated on Peko for years cause he couldn't rush the passer and he was just okay in stopping the run. This is something I understand, hating on our best players makes no sense to me.
Reply/Quote
I can see the arguement for not resigning Mixon though especially considering Johnathan Taylor and/or D'Andre Swift could be sitting there at 33...

I know the "don't need a RB" thing but we arent talking about just any running backs...
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(01-20-2020, 01:13 AM)Whodey614 Wrote: One would hope that ZT and Duke are taking notes on how the Niners and Titans made their runs this season.

Build the trenches and we are set.

Exactly, even though they were very different styles, they had multiple run plays designed out of the same formation.  They could run pass plays out of the formation as well.  I always wondered why the Bengals never threw a pass-play wrinkle out of the "#74 is eligible" extra tackle run play, which was actually quite effective in 2009.  

The 49ers had one formation where they ran four different plays out of (according to the announcer) and they ran a 5th which was a pass option.  Zack, although under the scrutiny of a 2-14 season, was at least far less predictable that Marv...We saw more misdirection, moving pocket, etc.  I hope they study some of the running designs that SF has shown...that reverse to Samual was amazing....It catches a defense in overpursuit and wears them out going sideline to sideline.  

I think SF will stop KC just enough to outscore them in the Super Bowl, with Mahommes doing some late-game highlight runs to keep it close, but SF offense has just too many ways to beat you.  

SF 38
KC 32
Reply/Quote
It's pretty simple, win the L.O.S., win the game. Who's the better QB, Garrapolo, or Rodgers? Build. The. Trenches.

SF built BOTH lines over the last few seasons....they look pretty good. Ninja

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(01-21-2020, 12:24 PM)WychesWarrior Wrote: It's pretty simple, win the L.O.S., win the game. Who's the better QB, Garrapolo, or Rodgers? Build. The. Trenches.

KC looks pretty damn good, too.

I wonder what finally got them to the big game after 50 years of coming up short...

Reply/Quote
(01-19-2020, 10:47 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Have you noticed the shift in NFL of late.. running game is back with play action. Top 4 teams rushing in playoffs 6 out of 10 in playoffs. Passing zero in top 4 and just 3 of the top 10...  Go Mixon Go..

Noticed another trend...how many of the teams in the playoffs have well-paid RBs?
None in the Top 5 paid in the league.
The only teams who are even paying a Top-10 RB salary are SF (McKinnon, who didn't even play this year), Duke Johnson (who wasn't even HOU primary RB), and BAL (Ingram, who making just $1.15 mill more than Bernard).

The teams that are winning in the playoffs are NOT paying RBs big money.
They are using drafted players and/or castoffs that are contributing well at a fraction of the big contracts.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-20-2020, 11:03 PM)Synric Wrote: I can see the arguement for not resigning Mixon though especially considering Johnathan Taylor and/or D'Andre Swift could be sitting there at 33...

I know the "don't need a RB" thing but we arent talking about just any running backs...

Look at the RBs that SF has and the round in which each was drafted.

Mostert and Breida were UDFAs.
Coleman was a 3rd Rounder, but not by SF.
McKinnon (who hasn't played since 2017) was a 3rd Rounder, but not by SF.

If you have a creative playcaller, you can make the running game flourish without spending a really high pick on a RB.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-20-2020, 09:05 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: 308 of Mixons yards (6.29 YPC) and 60% of his TDs came in the 2 games against the Browns' 30th ranked run defense.

And no other RB got to play aginst the defense, right?

Oh wait, the Browns played 14 other games against other NFL teams and not one RB from any of those other teams gained as many yards as Mixon did in either of his games against the Browns.  IN fact in those 14 other games only 4 other RBs had 100 yard games.

(01-20-2020, 09:05 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: 250 more of those yards (4.55 YPC) and 0% of his TDs came in the 2 games where they lost by a combined score of 83-26 where the other teams were happy to let him get decent gains in exchange for the game to end quicker. (Nobody tries to stop you running when you're down 3+ scores.)

Funny how the Pats did not try to stop our running game in a blowout win but they did against other teams.  They beat the Jets twice by a combined score of 63-14 yet LeVeon Bell could only manage a combined 105 yards on 33 carries.  And when the Pats beat the Steelers by 30 points Conner could only gain 21 yards on 10 carries.  And when the Pats beat Washington by 26 the Redskins top 2 RBs (Adrian Peterson, Wendell Smallwood) combined to gain only 45 yards on 13 carries.
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2020, 12:34 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: KC looks pretty damn good, too.

I wonder what finally got them to the big game after 50 years of coming up short...

You're right their defense did improve from last season having a top 10 defense and 6th rated pass defense was the difference in the chiefs making the Superbowl.
That Mahomes guy was carried by his team this season ( Sarcasam)!
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2020, 11:03 PM)Synric Wrote: I can see the arguement for not resigning Mixon though especially considering Johnathan Taylor and/or D'Andre Swift could be sitting there at 33...

Would have to get the Line and LB's upgraded in FA before going for another RB which is why I would rather pay Mixon.

But yeah, if we did upgrade the Line and LB's in FA would be for drafting one of those guys and moving on if Mixon wants too much.

(01-21-2020, 09:13 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Exactly, even though they were very different styles, they had multiple run plays designed out of the same formation.  They could run pass plays out of the formation as well.  I always wondered why the Bengals never threw a pass-play wrinkle out of the "#74 is eligible" extra tackle run play, which was actually quite effective in 2009.  

The 49ers had one formation where they ran four different plays out of (according to the announcer) and they ran a 5th which was a pass option.  Zack, although under the scrutiny of a 2-14 season, was at least far less predictable that Marv...We saw more misdirection, moving pocket, etc.  I hope they study some of the running designs that SF has shown...that reverse to Samual was amazing....It catches a defense in overpursuit and wears them out going sideline to sideline.  

I think SF will stop KC just enough to outscore them in the Super Bowl, with Mahommes doing some late-game highlight runs to keep it close, but SF offense has just too many ways to beat you.  

SF 38
KC 32

Thinking something similar. 

49ers - 41
Chiefs - 35

(01-21-2020, 12:24 PM)Wyche Wrote: It's pretty simple, win the L.O.S., win the game. Who's the better QB, Garrapolo, or Rodgers? Build. The. Trenches.

Definitely have to do this to of course.

(01-21-2020, 12:34 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: KC looks pretty damn good, too.

Sure would be nice to have the QB, good O-line and balanced Offense.

(01-21-2020, 01:05 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Noticed another trend...how many of the teams in the playoffs have well-paid RBs?
None in the Top 5 paid in the league.
The only teams who are even paying a Top-10 RB salary are SF (McKinnon, who didn't even play this year), Duke Johnson (who wasn't even HOU primary RB), and BAL (Ingram, who making just $1.15 mill more than Bernard).

The teams that are winning in the playoffs are NOT paying RBs big money.
They are using drafted players and/or castoffs that are contributing well at a fraction of the big contracts.

(01-21-2020, 01:31 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Look at the RBs that SF has and the round in which each was drafted.

If you have a creative playcaller, you can make the running game flourish without spending a really high pick on a RB.

All true but do you think Taylor is good enough playcaller to make the running game flourish with UDFA's?
Reply/Quote
In 1988 when Boomer won MVP and we went to the Super Bowl we had the number one RUSH offense in the league and were not even top 10 in passing yards.
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2020, 01:31 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Look at the RBs that SF has and the round in which each was drafted.

Probably didn't hurt that he had a extremely talented o-line.
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2020, 02:56 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Would have to get the Line and LB's upgraded in FA before going for another RB which is why I would rather pay Mixon.

But yeah, if we did upgrade the Line and LB's in FA would be for drafting one of those guys and moving on if Mixon wants too much.

Thinking something similar. 

49ers - 41
Chiefs - 35

Definitely have to do this to of course.

Sure would be nice to have the QB, good O-line and balanced Offense.

All true but do you think Taylor is good enough playcaller to make the running game flourish with UDFA's?

No but he could actually bring in an OC who can call his own plays.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-21-2020, 03:32 PM)ochocincos Wrote: No but he could actually bring in an OC who can call his own plays.

All on board with that, just doubt it will happen.
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2020, 10:28 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: I agree and disagree (AU165's got it right).

I mean, look at the Chefs game; Titans couldn't run it worth a damn, put the ball  in Tannehill's hand and they were screwed.

The run game indeed helped out the Titans in the first two games, but if you have a QB that can pick your team apart (Mahomes), you will be behind and you can't run it 40 times a game.

Balanced is still the way to go.

Actually it is what runs in cycles.. part of the reason running game has started to become more of a focus is many teams of the last decade have loaded up with CB/WR and speed LB to counter spread offense and pass happy league.. now these types of formation and running attack exposed teams that could not stop the run well with their defense depth....
Reply/Quote