Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Burrow on Concussions
(10-05-2022, 04:35 PM)ATOTR Wrote: What franchise qbs did the nfl allow defenses to destroy?

And when?

I'd say the only example I could come up with is Cam Newton. They didn't call roughing calls on him that they would other QBs because he was so powerful. 

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/11/nfl-cam-newton-carolina-panthers-referees-flags-penalties
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I think if you asked ANY NFL player the same question, if he was being truly honest, he would have the same answer as Joe.

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(10-05-2022, 02:21 PM)Mer Wrote:  A lot of folks would risk life long injuries to work for 5-10 years and be set for life. I know I would. 

Not long-term, permanent, degenerative brain damage you wouldn't. 

Not Aaron Hernandez, stage-3 CTE, who killed several people and himself, or Phillip Adams, stage-2 CTE, who killed six and himself. Not the associated memory loss, aggression, impulsive  and uncharacteristic behavior, you wouldn't. 
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2022, 03:35 PM)ATOTR Wrote: Oh, I meant 6 Mill.  Not 6K, sorry!

that is the avg salary per year for an offensive or defensive starter. 

The 700K is a league Min, right?

Yes you are correct. League minimum is around 700k.
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2022, 08:46 PM)Nepa Wrote: Not long-term, permanent, degenerative brain damage you wouldn't. 

Not Aaron Hernandez, stage-3 CTE, who killed several people and himself, or Phillip Adams, stage-2 CTE, who killed six and himself. Not the associated memory loss, aggression, impulsive  and uncharacteristic behavior, you wouldn't. 

Yeah. CTE made those guys murderers. Lol
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2022, 01:21 PM)ATOTR Wrote: The problem is, if they are going to be so protective over the QBs

And hone in on any above shoulder pad hit.  

Then, it incentivizes the opposing teams to take the head shot to get the QB under the microscope of the Concussion Protocol

Ejections for a player on D pale in comparison to missing your QB for portion of a game, or multiple games.

That is not going to happen, some of the injuries to the head etc are not evening close to targeting, if we are going to get to what you want, we need to put flags on the players and no tackling...  the game is a violent sport in nature, like talking air out of our body, you will die, they can only control it the best they can... which continue Tue issue, ive read little since they interested the concussion protocol of many issues.
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2022, 08:57 PM)ATOTR Wrote: Yeah.  CTE made those guys murderers.  Lol

I see. So you don't believe that destruction of part of the brain can cause someone to become paranoid, experience excruciating pain, sleeplessness, loss of impulse control, violent tendencies, depression rage? That's what neurologists believe about CTE brain damage. But don't ask me. I'm not a brain scientist. 
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2022, 02:34 PM)QueenCity Wrote: 15 yard penalty is a joke for a helmet to helmet hit.

Sure they get fined $15,000 but this hit literally can alter the course of a teams season + players short/long term health

The hit can be inadvertent and draw the 15 yard penalty too. I'm all for safety, but it's a violent sport by nature. I don't know what can be done about it. I just know that the NFL ****** up with the cte cover-up. But literally the only thing that can be done about it is tell them to try and not hit them in the head, and a 15 yard penalty. Nevermind the linemen that go helmet to helmet all game every week...
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
I hate the "legalese" that outlines all these stories. Burrow says something like this and everyone gets it... but ESPN still feels it necessary to say he's "never been diagnosed with a concussion in the NFL." It just feels like everything's a courtroom these days- even when it's not. And I guess I can't blame the NFL or ESPN for protecting their interests either. I just wonder how we ever got to this point. The match between our private lives in the community and what we see/hear on screen gets weaker every day. Really does feel like a dystopian reality sometimes.
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2022, 01:21 PM)ATOTR Wrote: The problem is, if they are going to be so protective over the QBs

And hone in on any above shoulder pad hit.  

Then, it incentivizes the opposing teams to take the head shot to get the QB under the microscope of the Concussion Protocol

Ejections for a player on D pale in comparison to missing your QB for portion of a game, or multiple games.

I thought of this exact thing about Tee Higgins being dirtbagged by the Jets.  Intentionally removing a big threat.  
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2022, 11:14 PM)Nepa Wrote: I see. So you don't believe that destruction of part of the brain can cause someone to become paranoid, experience excruciating pain, sleeplessness, loss of impulse control, violent tendencies, depression rage? That's what neurologists believe about CTE brain damage. But don't ask me. I'm not a brain scientist. 

Regardless, Aaron Hernandez was a dirt bag gang member long before he was in the NFL. 
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2022, 11:14 PM)Nepa Wrote: I see. So you don't believe that destruction of part of the brain can cause someone to become paranoid, experience excruciating pain, sleeplessness, loss of impulse control, violent tendencies, depression rage? That's what neurologists believe about CTE brain damage. But don't ask me. I'm not a brain scientist. 

Mike Webster is a perfect example of what you are referring to. You also have guys like Duerson and Seau that killed themselves. 

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(10-06-2022, 08:17 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Regardless, Aaron Hernandez was a dirt bag gang member long before he was in the NFL. 

That's a fact too. 

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(10-05-2022, 11:33 PM)jason Wrote: The hit can be inadvertent and draw the 15 yard penalty too.  I'm all for safety, but it's a violent sport by nature. I don't know what can be done about it. I just know that the NFL ****** up with the cte cover-up. But literally the only thing that can be done about it is tell them to try and not hit them in the head, and a 15 yard penalty. Nevermind the linemen that go helmet to helmet all game every week...

I had that same thought while writing my comment.  

Specifically when it comes to the QB if they have a clear shot and can literally go anywhere else on the body and they choose to go high.  That is when I'd be supportive of severe consequences. 

I get that running backs or wide receivers it's a lot more bang bang and hard to judge intent in some cases.
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2022, 02:22 PM)Sled21 Wrote: The only way to stop it is to fine the player so heavily they don't do it. And that doesn't mean a 15K fine, it means a 100K fine.

It should hurt the team, so the owners make the coaches teach how to properly target the body and not the head.

If your team targets the head x number of times in a year your team loses draft picks huge fines on the owner into the millions that come off the salary cap for the next season.

Not just the ref flags on personal fouls but team submitting video to the NFLPA that have been deemed head targets.
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2022, 05:37 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Daunte Culpepper
Steve Young
Rich Gannon
Joe Theisman
Troy Aikman
Joe Montana
Greg Cook
David Carr
Andrew Luck

I'm sure that if I did some digging, I could find plenty more, and that's not getting into the guys who were promising and hadn't yet reached their full potential when their careers were cut short, before the modern rules protecting QBs initially, and now all players, went into effect.

Please tell us how these 11-16 year NFL vet QBs were ruined and targeted by lax practices from the NFL. 

I need to hear it. 
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2022, 02:22 PM)Sled21 Wrote: The only way to stop it is to fine the player so heavily they don't do it. And that doesn't mean a 15K fine, it means a 100K fine.

So you think Josh Tupou should have been fined for that hit?  Had nothing to do with a headshot yet knocked him unconscious.

A great many of the concussions are from the ground and not head-to-head contact.
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2022, 02:21 PM)Mer Wrote: These guys all know what they're getting into way before they enter the NFL. Yes, there are risks but that's also why they get paid very well.  A lot of folks would risk life long injuries to work for 5-10 years and be set for life. I know I would. So let's stop acting like the NFL is trying to hide things and the players should be cautious. It's a game they CHOOSE to play and get paid a lot of money for playing it.

I kind of agree with this statement.  So you wanna play QB in the NFL?  There are risks, just like race car drivers.  Every time they strap themselves into a car it could be the last time.  And for a number of drivers it has been.  They all have a choice.

It's the $$ that make that choice so difficult.  Think how much different that choice might be for someone in the crab fishing industry.  That is way more risky yet they still do it for the $$, so hard to feel sorry for QB's.
Reply/Quote
Tiger

Joe & Colin Interview
https://youtu.be/5ce_pZfYcag

Interesting criticism
https://youtu.be/CrOWjhkG5_Q
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2022, 11:56 AM)ATOTR Wrote: Please tell us how these 11-16 year NFL vet QBs were ruined and targeted by lax practices from the NFL. 

I need to hear it. 

They all suffered devastating injuries that forced them out of the game, not on their own terms. Except Montana, his injury caused him to lose his job to Steve Young, and he went on to play a few more years with KC.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote