Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Burrow or the system?
With Burrows latest injury. The question has become "is he injury prone"? I have to admit I'm beginning to wonder myself. I mean a calf strain and a torn ligament in his wrist seem like odd/rare injuries for a QB let alone in one season. Then I started to think what steps can we take to protect him? Focus on the run more? Is this even possible under Zac? I mean Zac is great at maintaining players health by taking it easy on they're bodies where he can at practice. Which is great but the one player he seems unwilling to try and protect is the one we can't lose?

I mean his rookie year he has a garbage line and is asked to throw it 40+ times a game gets knee shredded.
Next year gets sacked a ton and again is asked to throw it a ton while coming back from major knee injury ( did go to the superbowl ) but gets dinged up at the end.
Third year more of the same but again goes in not 100% due to appendicitis yet no change at all. Just put Joe out there to get beat to hell until he and the line start to play better.
Then finally this year the calf strain clearly not 100% and again no change. We go away from the run even when it is working and refuse to use other backs and just expect Burrow to throw it a ton.

So is it Burrow or Taylor? We refuse to adjust our game even when all signs point to the fact things need adjusted. I wonder if we've reached a point where the system isn't just worth complaining but needs to change. This is something we really need to look at and it may really need to be time to bring someone else in to take over the offense.

It seems like it might be getting to a point of repeating itself. It's not if Burrow will get hurt its how bad will he get hurt. Something needs to change.
Reply/Quote
You can't drop back and throw 75% of the time against the best pass rushes.

His 2 major injuries happened against top pass rushing teams.

Zac calls plays like it's Madden.
Reply/Quote
I do think if burrow was drafted into a system with an old school coach like parcells, it would have been better for his career.
The old school mentality of pairing a qb with a great running game and having a balanced attack is a lot less risky.

That said, I love watching burrow play and it’s fun to see them air it out. I think we’re in a better position now with the oline improving where we could go with a more balanced attack with closer to 50/50 run/pass and a more effective running game.

I think it’s likely we lose Tee in the offseason. It would be good timing to adjust and devote more resources towards a more balanced attack and more effective running game and oline.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
The first season was 100% the system by having that horrific line. They have been terrible in evaluating college olinemen. I know there will always be flops from college, but they have to be historically bad in picking them since Zeitler. (Was Zeitler the last good one they drafted or am I forgetting someone?)
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
It is weird with how good our WRs and QB are supposed to be that we haven't taken advantage and run better than we have so far. It would be nice to be able to depend on the run and have Burrow as an accessory that if you don't worry about him too, you're in trouble lol.
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2023, 08:15 PM)Bengalstripes9 Wrote: I do think if burrow was drafted into a system with an old school coach like parcells, it would have been better for his career.
The old school mentality of pairing a qb with a great running game and having a balanced attack is a lot less risky.

That said, I love watching burrow play and it’s fun to see them air it out. I think we’re in a better position now with the oline improving where we could go with a more balanced attack with closer to 50/50 run/pass and a more effective running game.

I think it’s likely we lose Tee in the offseason. It would be good timing to adjust and devote more resources towards a more balanced attack and more effective running game and oline.

Or a Belichick team when they were rolling with Brady.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
Joe Burrow throws alot of the RPOs that could be runs and the Bengals also run alot of screens to the outside which are essentially long handoffs. Like Ive been saying all season the lack of athleticism from the OL limits some of their rush offense because they don't really have a guy that can pull.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(11-17-2023, 08:15 PM)Bengalstripes9 Wrote: I do think if burrow was drafted into a system with an old school coach like parcells, it would have been better for his career.

I'm just not sure Taylor is capable of this. With Burrows calf we still can't adjust even for a limited time. The we go away from the run when Mixon is successful or refuse to use any other RBs to be able to run more.
Reply/Quote
Reply/Quote
Jesus, Marvin was 58-6 as long as we score 24 points. 24 might be the magic number for most teams. I think a stat I read from 2022 is 26.6 points.
Reply/Quote
Our #1 RB has had over 100 yards rushing twice since the end of November 2021…….. that is ugly.

It’s the system. We play in the smash mouth AFC North where every game is outside. But Zac runs the offense like we play in a dome against scrub defenses.

Burrow gets beat up and defenses attack the pass because we don’t run enough. We need to balance our offense out.
Reply/Quote
It's the system. In today's NFL you simply cannot drop back in shotgun 40-50 times per game, every game without having your OL establish control of the LOS via the rushing attack. Opposing DLs know that it's pass, pass, pass and they treat it as such. If they knew the Bengals could line up and get 3-5 every time they handed the ball off, they would have to respect the threat of the run.

As it is currently, the Bengals get some good yards on the ground because they run by surprise, when the defense is expecting a pass. That needs to change. The simply have to be able to execute straight ahead and even complex running plays, even when the other team knows that it's coming. Until that commitment happens, Joe Burrow will continue to get battered and injured no matter who is playing OL.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
How many times is it an obvious run down and a lot of fans get annoyed because they line up in shotgun?
Reply/Quote
Go Burrow isn't a good QB. He is a great QB, in my opinion. Put him on most teams and the team goes to the playoffs with him as a Top 5 passer. Put any but a few QBs on this team, the record is worse.
Like a teenage girl driving a Ferrari. 
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2023, 08:38 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: In today's NFL you simply cannot drop back in shotgun 40-50 times per game, every game without having your OL establish control of the LOS via the rushing attack.

Chiefs last year only had 1 more rush per game than us, and passed ever so slightly more than us too. 

I still agree with your idea that it's the system, but not because of the amount of passes per game, or the low amount of rushes. They're just worse plays and worse coaching on both.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
It would help if anyone other than Ja'Marr Chase could make a play with the ball in their hands. Ill be preaching YAC again this off-season lol.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(11-17-2023, 08:55 PM)Synric Wrote: It would help if anyone other than Ja'Marr Chase could make a play with the ball in their hands. Ill be preaching YAC again this off-season lol.

If tee was healthy, this wouldn’t be an issue

Bengals have no issue when the big 3 is healthy

It's because you are of such profound wisdom, Frank Booth. - SunsetBengal
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2023, 08:47 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Chiefs last year only had 1 more rush per game than us, and passed ever so slightly more than us too. 

I still agree with your idea that it's the system, but not because of the amount of passes per game, or the low amount of rushes. They're just worse plays and worse coaching on both.

Chiefs are the anomaly, not the norm.  That which they get away with en route to winning titles has also come back to bite them in other seasons.  Zac Taylor is no Andy Reid, and remember it took Andy Reid a long time to get to that consistent Championship level.  

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
many QBs deal with weak lines sacks and pressures but you cant get around the amount of physical problems Burrow has had.. think about it for past 4 years, 50% of his career he has not finished the season and has also had physical issues not related to game situations... name another elite qb that has had those types of issues in their start of career..
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2023, 08:21 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: I'm just not sure Taylor is capable of this. With Burrows calf we still can't adjust even for a limited time. The we go away from the run when Mixon is successful or refuse to use any other RBs to be able to run more.

I’m not sure what’s going to happen. He could be capable of putting a winning formula together, he could not be. Taylor has the opportunity to reinvent the offense in the offseason though. We’ll see what happens.
Reply/Quote