Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Burrow's Final Presser 1/8/2024
(01-08-2024, 02:26 PM)casear2727 Wrote: The tag and trade scenario is talked about a lot, but that doesnt happen very often.  I dont think we have ever done that and we are at the very bottom of the list when it comes to making any trades.

We likely tag and play Tee then he walks.

I was thinking about that. It sounds good in practice, but it's really rare.
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2024, 05:27 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I was thinking about that. It sounds good in practice, but it's really rare.

What about the tag where we can match or let him walk for a 1 and 2 like Lamar was just on
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2024, 05:29 PM)Big_Ern Wrote: What about the tag where we can match or let him walk for a 1 and 2 like Lamar was just on

That is the non-exclusive tag which is used on almost every non-QB free agent.  Lamar was one of the few that was non-exclusively tagged.

Reply/Quote
(01-08-2024, 05:29 PM)Big_Ern Wrote: What about the tag where we can match or let him walk for a 1 and 2 like Lamar was just on

We'll likely tag him. I don't know on the trade part. We'll see.
Reply/Quote
Burrow just broke the bank and sounds as if Chase intends to with his wait until Jefferson sign first comment. Suspect Tee is not going to be the one who will be willing to take the discount since he will be the lowest paid of the three.

Sounds like cap hell is coming soon if they sign Tee. If you thought the defense was bad last year, just wait until the Bengals put all their salary cap eggs into a QB and 2 WR's basket, in which at least one seems to be always hurt.

Love Tee but think the Bengals have to make a decision on which WR to pay and which one they need to part ways with.

Wont be a popular opinion, but its how I see it.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2024, 01:55 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Nuggets:

Joe Burrow: "We know the standard here. That's what we've got to get back to."

Joe Burrow: "Everyone's expectation is Tee will be back. The offseason plays out in crazy ways to don't expect, but we want Tee back."

Joe Burrow said that the Bengals discussed with him the plan for the future of the roster when he negotiated the contract extension. They talked about these moves over the summer.

Joe Burrow on Tee Higgins: "We'd love to have Tee back. He's a big part of what we've done here. It's no secret, our relationship. I expect Tee to be back. We all want Tee back."

Joe Burrow on the under center offense: "It brought some different things to the offense that we were not able to do at the start of the year because I physically couldn't do it (because of the calf)."
"It was a good couple weeks."

Joe Burrow is lifting with his legs and doing a lot of core work. Tougher to do upper body workouts, but they're modifying a plan to keep his upper body strong.
"It's tough when you watch from the sideline. I was focused on getting myself better every day and doing what I could for Jake."

Joe Burrow: "Feeling good. Getting better every day."
No target date to throw. "I think I should be good for OTAs. We'll see."

Final? i expect many more for years to come.
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2024, 05:19 PM)pally Wrote: tag and trade takes some cooperation from the new team before it happens. They are not going to trade for a tagged player unless they are 100% confident they can also sign that player to an extension.

It is a bad front office that tags a player expecting to conclude a trade for them.  There are very unique circumstances that precede them

That would have always been the case. No team is going to trade considerable resources for a 1 year rental unless there the Rams or 49ers!
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
A good presser. If Burrow is really ready for OTAs that puts us in a good place.

Also his comments on the scheme were encouraging. It sounds like the offensive designs we saw versus SF and to some extent later in the season will be featured more, and if they follow through the offense will get less predictable.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2024, 02:21 PM)Mgbrown66 Wrote: The bad thing about tagging Tee is that it guarantees him 20+million next year, and eats up about half the available cap space for next year.    That's a risky proposition for someone who was often injured.

I think they tag him and try to trade him, drafting his replacement in round one.  

Chase forces teams to double team him.   He is the one to pay.

We have $70 mil in cap space. I'd be shocked if Higgins isn't back at least on a tag. I also think Reader is back. 

Jonah is gone. We take an OT in Rd1. Mims, Fuaga, Guyton.  

I think we hunt for a defensive difference maker in FA after we lock up Tee & Reader. DT swing for sure (Jones, Wilkins, Madubuike). If we whiff there, then maybe we look at FA TE's (Schultz) or secondary help or bringing back Chido/Boyd. 

Too many holes to fill with draft alone. Would love RT in Rd1 + DT/NT on day 2 with the other Day 2 pick likely WR/TE or CB/S. 
Reply/Quote
Y'all are not listening to the man when he speaks! He said when he was discussing his contract, he had an idea how he wanted to structure his contract to keep the "core" together. Now he says this...
Quote:Joe Burrow said that the Bengals discussed with him the plan for the future of the roster when he negotiated the contract extension. They talked about these moves over the summer.

And what did Chase say? He said, "it depends on what I take, but it might not come from me but from someplace else."
It's pretty apparent they have a plan and it's going to be executed. Yeah, Burrow got a record deal, but it is already not the record anymore and the cap is going up significantly. If anything, I think Boyd is gone unless he signs a friendly contract to stay, and we have Yoshi, Jones, or Irwin to take his spot. Mixon is gone now I think, given how Chase Brown showed out. They'll draft a RB to replace Joe. I think Jonah is gone to be replaced by a rookie RT. The rest of the line will stay intact. I think they would bring Reader back if his injury was earlier in the season, but now I don't think so, it will probably be an Ogunjobi deal where he can't pass a physical by the start of the year. They'll draft or sign a DT.

Katie is very good at moving money around. Expect to see Higgins in his #5 Bengals jersey for a few more seasons.
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2024, 06:37 PM)Joelist Wrote: A good presser. If Burrow is really ready for OTAs that puts us in a good place.

Also his comments on the scheme were encouraging. It sounds like the offensive designs we saw versus SF and to some extent later in the season will be featured more, and if they follow through the offense will get less predictable.

What it means contrary to the stammering posters on here they didn’t change the offense for Jake. Zac said they didn’t do anything they hadn’t worked on. Joe said his calf injury negated doing some of it. It’s also possible they wanted to wait to use it for a late run. They used it versus SF as it was one of the toughest games of the year.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote