Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Burrow's Rushing Attempts Are Concerning to Me
There was a play last night, late in the game, where we called a run play for Burrow. This play came immediately after he got hit hard the previous play. (Fwiw, I think the play called was a fake hand-off to Mixon where Burrow ran right. It was in the Red Zone.)

I was left wondering if they're trying to get this dude killed. At this point in the game he already had been hit a ton, and had already carried the ball a few times. After getting rocked the previous play I thought it was extremely odd to call a designed run play to him.

Don't get me wrong, I love seeing the ability to run. I love the fact that he's not scared to do it, and to make a play out of nothing. I love pretty much everything about Burrow right now. This is not a knock on him at all.

But you're talking about a game where he took 10 hits dropping back (sacks +knocked down). Then you're adding 7 rushing attempts to this. That a lot of contact for our brand new franchise QB to be taking.

As of right now Joe Burrow has rushed the ball 15 times through 2 games. This projects to 120 rushing attempts on the season.

For reference, Gio Bernard now has 2 rushes on the season. His attempts totals the last 4 years are as follows: 53, 56, 105, 91.

Burrow is significantly getting more work running the ball than our #2 back has in years.

Deshaun Watson, is probably considered 2nd to only Lamar Jackson had rushing attempts totals of 82 in '19, and 99 in '18, in his two full years starting.

Here are Cam Newton's rushing totals for full seasons: 126, 127, 111, 103, 132, 90, 139, 101

So, as of right now, Burrow is getting more work in the run game than a Deshaun Watson, and is on pace to resemble a prime Cam Newton.

When you couple this with the fact that he's on pace to be sacked 48 times, and hit another 75 times, this is scary.

I don't really mind if he audibles like he did, or if he pulls up and runs because no one is open. I can't knock this kid's desire to make a play.

What I'm concerned with though is the coaching staff calling designed runs for him after he's been taking a beating. And I hope they really start to consider not doing that unless absolutely necessary. I don't want our franchise QB running the ball 8 times a game in a rebuilding year.

Curious if anyone else knows the play I'm talking about. I could not believe they had him running after taking a big hit on the pass play prior.
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2020, 12:37 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: There was a play last night, late in the game, where we called a run play for Burrow.  This play came immediately after he got hit hard the previous play.  (Fwiw, I think the play called was a fake hand-off to Mixon where Burrow ran right. It was in the Red Zone.)

I was left wondering if they're trying to get this dude killed.  At this point in the game he already had been hit a ton, and had already carried the ball a few times.  After getting rocked the previous play I thought it was extremely odd to call a designed run play to him.

Don't get me wrong, I love seeing the ability to run.  I love the fact that he's not scared to do it, and to make a play out of nothing.  I love pretty much everything about Burrow right now.  This is not a knock on him at all.

But you're talking about a game where he took 10 hits dropping back (sacks +knocked down).  Then you're adding 7 rushing attempts to this.  That a lot of contact for our brand new franchise QB to be taking.

As of right now Joe Burrow has rushed the ball 15 times through 2 games.  This projects to 120 rushing attempts on the season.  

For reference, Gio Bernard now has 2 rushes on the season.  His attempts totals the last 4 years are as follows: 53, 56, 105, 91.

Burrow is significantly getting more work running the ball than our #2 back has in years.

Deshaun Watson, is probably considered 2nd to only Lamar Jackson had rushing attempts totals of 82 in '19, and 99 in '18, in his two full years starting.

Here are Cam Newton's rushing totals for full seasons: 126, 127, 111, 103, 132, 90, 139, 101

So, as of right now, Burrow is getting more work in the run game than a Deshaun Watson, and is on pace to resemble a prime Cam Newton.

When you couple this with the fact that he's on pace to be sacked 48 times, and hit another 75 times, this is scary.

I don't really mind if he audibles like he did, or if he pulls up and runs because no one is open.  I can't knock this kid's desire to make a play.

What I'm concerned with though is the coaching staff calling designed runs for him after he's been taking a beating.  And I hope they really start to consider not doing that unless absolutely necessary.  I don't want our franchise QB running the ball 8 times a game in a rebuilding year.

Curious if anyone else knows the play I'm talking about.  I could not believe they had him running after taking a big hit on the pass play prior.

It was a play called at the line by Burrow.....
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2020, 12:38 PM)Sled21 Wrote: It was a play called at the line by Burrow.....

1.) I'd be curious to hear if you know this for a fact. (Not saying you don't, but a link or a quote would be helpful)

2.) I think the coaching staff needs to step in, and limit these touches.  How they do it is up to them.  I stand by my opinion.  For a QB getting hit this much in the backfield, you can't have getting 8 rushing attempts a game.
Reply/Quote
Him not sliding on most of those runs are scary. Pittsburgh and Baltimore will knock him out if not cheap shot him out of the game.
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2020, 12:41 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: 1.) I'd be curious to hear if you know this for a fact. (Not saying you don't, but a link or a quote would be helpful)

2.) I think the coaching staff needs to step in, and limit these touches.  How they do it is up to them.  I stand by my opinion.  For a QB getting hit this much in the backfield, you can't have getting 8 rushing attempts a game.

I believe this is the run you are talking about.....

Quote:The goal-line sequence was tough to watch. They did everything but score. Their stud back, Mixon, got tossed for a four-yard loss when he had to bounce outside. Maybe their most reliable wide receiver, Tyler Boyd, dropped what would have been a touchdown pass at the near pylon when he ran before he had it. And that was a nice ball from Burrow as he got blown up by that other overall No. 1, Garrett. Burrow then kept a zone read and got jolted for nearly a 10-yard loss . Uzomah, maybe gone for the year with an injured Achilles late in the game, was called for pass interference when he bowled over linebacker B.J. Goodson in the end zone.
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2020, 12:50 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I believe this is the run you are talking about.....

Yup, that's one.

The staff needs to figure out a way to limit these touches.  It's completely unacceptable for our QB to take two hits like that back to back. 

This dude has been hit way too often.  It's their job to protect him.  If that means removing plays or reads from the playbook or his decision making, or just emphasizing to him to only do it when absolutely necessary, then that's what I think needs to be done.

It's really hard to watch this guy getting abused this much.  We can't have him have 100+ carries on the season.  Period.
Reply/Quote
Behind this line, lucky he isn't running towards the exit.
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2020, 01:06 PM)Destro Wrote: Behind this line, lucky he isn't running towards the exit.

I feel better about his chances running and trying to get down/out of bounds than I do the hits he takes standing in the pocket behind this o line
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2020, 01:15 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: I feel better about his chances running and trying to get down/out of bounds than I do the hits he takes standing in the pocket behind this o line

Sure the Steelers will spear him good when they get the chance.
Reply/Quote