Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Burrow's decision making has been terrible
(11-08-2021, 09:40 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: I was at the game, it wasn't pretty

Really? Cause it looked great on tv. Tongue
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
Could be worse, we could have this Fields guy...dude is terrible. I actually feel bad for Andy sitting while this dude starts
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
When Joe Burrow has time to go through progressions, set his feet, and throw, he’s one of the best quarterbacks in the league. Under pressure he’s average at best — and that’s okay at this point. He’s learning to check down more and throw the ball away more.

As for the pick six yesterday on that whip route, well, let’s just say that pass will work against any cornerback not named Denzel Ward.
Reply/Quote
I'm attributing his issues to being part of the growth process, but the forcing passes to Chase needs to stop. There are too many good receivers here to do anything but look for the guy that isn't getting the most attention from the defense. He should be picking teams apart.

It's all very strange to watch. Burrow really seemed to be good at tight, intermediate throws last year when AJ was non-existent and he had to work the middle of the field. He's showing a better deep ball, but it feels like there's been difficulty on his part when it's time to decide when it's appropriate to go deep or take what he's given. Don't force a deep pass when a wr is open 5 yards away and it's enough for a first down. Live to fight for another set of downs. Use your full compliment of weapons and force the defense to react to you rather than doing the opposite. The players are there for it to be done.
Reply/Quote
(11-08-2021, 11:32 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: When Joe Burrow has time to go through progressions, set his feet, and throw, he’s one of the best quarterbacks in the league. Under pressure he’s average at best — and that’s okay at this point. He’s learning to check down more and throw the ball away more.

As for the pick six yesterday on that whip route, well, let’s just say that pass will work against any cornerback not named Denzel Ward.

This is actually completely false. Joe is one of the best in the league against the blitz.

Reply/Quote
(11-08-2021, 11:39 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: This is actually completely false. Joe is one of the best in the league against the blitz.

you can be under pressure not from a blitz.
Reply/Quote
(11-08-2021, 11:19 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Could be worse, we could have this Fields guy...dude is terrible. I actually feel bad for Andy sitting while this dude starts

Yeah, he's far from ready. I'm not sure if he ever will be.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(11-08-2021, 11:45 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: you can be under pressure not from a blitz.

“Most by any QB this season”

Joe is usually really good under pressure.

Reply/Quote
(11-08-2021, 09:10 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: The last 2 games Burrow has 2 interceptions targeting Chase. Also we're wasting targets on Tee "can't make a tough catch" Higgins. I'm kidding on that last part. Look I know Chase obviously has the big play ability at another level than Boyd but that didn't do a dang thing for us on Sunday. Boyd has been forced to be our #1 WR in the past and he's proven himself to be a top slot WR in this league. So for us not to be targeting him more is just inexcusable. If Burrow has lost trust in Boyd than maybe he's a turd and we need to move on.

Burrow also has 4 picks this year targeting Boyd, 2 of them occurring on option routes where Burrow and Boyd weren't on the same page.  As a QB, it's easy to evaluate a throw like the pick 6 to Chase.  It was a poorly thrown ball and a questionable decision.  When the WR isn't on the same page, as a QB you have to wonder why your other two WR's are always doing what you expect.  And a couple of those picks to Boyd have been in big time clutch situations.

Not to sound jaded here, but every week we have folks stumping for somebody to get more touches.  Mike Thomas and Drew Sample may be the only two skill guys on offense that haven't had people saying they should get more touches.  They have a number of good skill players.  Boyd will get his when he has a favorable matchup they want to exploit.  

Cutting Boyd simply isn't realistic due to the terrible depth at WR behind him, not to mention expiring contracts.
Reply/Quote
Saying Burrow's decision making has been terrible is an exaggeration. What it has been is erratic. Most of the INTs are on bad decisions. The problem is he should not be making bad decisions ESPECIALLY as a #1OA who was scouted as having elite decision making ability. Well he needs to start showing it.
Reply/Quote
(11-08-2021, 11:45 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: you can be under pressure not from a blitz.

Please find me a QB who gets pressured from only a 4 man front and is above average. If 5-6 of your guys can't block 4 of theirs you aren't going to be an above average QB. On blitzes, when the numbers are even or in his favor, Burrow tears them up. 

I bet if you give him 3-4 seconds vs 4 man fronts like most QBs get with a decent Oline then he looks above average too. 
Reply/Quote
(11-08-2021, 11:32 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: When Joe Burrow has time to go through progressions, set his feet, and throw, he’s one of the best quarterbacks in the league.  Under pressure he’s average at best — and that’s okay at this point.  He’s learning to check down more and throw the ball away more.  

What ***** planet do you live on?

As little as 2 weeks ago, it was stated MULTIPLE times that Burrow was one of the best QB when blitzed this year. 

Since i've got nothing better to do with my life than constantly look up things to show how wrong and ill-informed people are, let me go check...

Yeah, Burrow is the top graded QB against the blitz this year (94.3) and he has the 3rd best quarterback rating against the blitz. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote

Burrow has the 8th best quarterback rating while under pressure. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(11-08-2021, 07:39 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: Boyd has 55 targets, only two less than Tee. He is receiving 19.5% of the teams attempts this season, roughly the same amount as he received last season (19.4%).

Boyd is getting squeezed out.

Our trio has played 7 games together this year. Here's the average targets in those 7 games:

Chase: 8.4 targets
Tee: 8.1 targets
Boyd: 5.4 targets

Now compare that to last year. In the 9 games Green/Tee/Boyd played together with Joey B:

Green: 7.6 targets
Tee: 7.9 targets
Boyd: 9.1 targets

----------

Boyd is down 3.7 targets per game. A 40% drop. Not to toot my own horn, but I predicted Boyd would be the one to take the hit if we drafted Chase, and I even suggested we trade him, because his production would likely no longer be worth $10 million.

Boyd's best game this year (9 for 118) came with Tee out. Also his only touchdown was in the other game Tee missed.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2021, 02:09 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Boyd is getting squeezed out.

Our trio has played 7 games together this year. Here's the average targets in those 7 games:

Now compare that to last year. In the 9 games Green/Tee/Boyd played together with Joey B:

----------

Boyd is down 3.7 targets per game. A 40% drop. Not to toot my own horn, but I predicted Boyd would be the one to take the hit if we drafted Chase, and I even suggested we trade him, because his production would likely no longer be worth $10 million.

Boyd's best game this year (9 for 118) came with Tee out. Also his only touchdown was in the other game Tee missed.

Boyd scored against the Jets
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2021, 12:53 AM)Whatever Wrote: Burrow also has 4 picks this year targeting Boyd, 2 of them occurring on option routes where Burrow and Boyd weren't on the same page.  As a QB, it's easy to evaluate a throw like the pick 6 to Chase.  It was a poorly thrown ball and a questionable decision.  When the WR isn't on the same page, as a QB you have to wonder why your other two WR's are always doing what you expect.  And a couple of those picks to Boyd have been in big time clutch situations.

Not to sound jaded here, but every week we have folks stumping for somebody to get more touches.  Mike Thomas and Drew Sample may be the only two skill guys on offense that haven't had people saying they should get more touches.  They have a number of good skill players.  Boyd will get his when he has a favorable matchup they want to exploit.  

Cutting Boyd simply isn't realistic due to the terrible depth at WR behind him, not to mention expiring contracts.

I was trying to figure out why you were saying cutting Boyd isn't an option then I realized my post read like I called Boyd a turd and I was saying maybe Burrow is a turd. But I don't think that. But I'm putting those interceptions on Burrow and maybe you have a point but instead of Burrow not trusting Boyd maybe he doesn't trust himself. It could be Burrow is having trouble seeing all the underneath stuff and gets a little anxious being in the pocket and just throws the ball anyway on a pass that shouldn't be thrown. 
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2021, 02:09 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Boyd is getting squeezed out.

----------

To me this is the problem. Boyd should be averaging the most targets. At this point in all our WR careers he's the most consistent and reliable. 9 for 118 is solid I know what Chase has been doing is amazing but he is still struggling with drops and he still makes rookie mistakes and Higgins is having his own struggles this season.
Reply/Quote
(11-08-2021, 07:27 PM)Trademark Wrote: Literally it's sad how he rarely ever targets one of the best receivers on the team in Boyd, he tries to force it to Chase and Tee half of the time when Boyd has been open more times than not. Some of his decision making has been Dalton-esque, at least Dalton knew when to throw it away. I think a lot of the sacks he takes too is because he holds onto the ball a lot trying to play hero ball. He really needs to clean up these dumb throws he makes it's getting frustrating at this point.

Criticizing Burrow makes about as much sense as pissing in to the wind.  

The guy has made 18 NFL starts.  He was CARVING the Browns up until the pick six.  Yes, it was a bad pass and he will learn from it.  Joe rarely makes the same mistake twice.  Every time he has had a practice, series, or even an entire game that was a "clunker", he ALWAYS rebounds and has a nice one. 

He has played poorly in one game.  The Chicago game.  The Browns game was one bad throw and then the defense decided to revert back to the Chuck Breshnahan no-pressure scheme that just gave Mayfield all day.  Once they got the lead and the Bengals became one dimensional, they were hitting him on EVERY SINGLE DROP BACK...usually less than two seconds after the snap.  The kid is tough as nails, and he will overcome this game and he will have them in the conversation down the stretch.  

If they can simply make the playoffs, I really like the idea of Joe Burrow leading the team in to the post season.  I won't bet against him.  
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2021, 01:57 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: What ***** planet do you live on?

As little as 2 weeks ago, it was stated MULTIPLE times that Burrow was one of the best QB when blitzed this year. 

Since i've got nothing better to do with my life than constantly look up things to show how wrong and ill-informed people are, let me go check...

Yeah, Burrow is the top graded QB against the blitz this year (94.3) and he has the 3rd best quarterback rating against the blitz. 

Not all pressure comes from blitzes.
Reply/Quote
(11-08-2021, 07:27 PM)Trademark Wrote: Literally it's sad how he rarely ever targets one of the best receivers on the team in Boyd, he tries to force it to Chase and Tee half of the time when Boyd has been open more times than not. Some of his decision making has been Dalton-esque, at least Dalton knew when to throw it away. I think a lot of the sacks he takes too is because he holds onto the ball a lot trying to play hero ball. He really needs to clean up these dumb throws he makes it's getting frustrating at this point.

if there was only someone around to help him like a coach or a vet that could give pointers.
Reply/Quote