Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Burrow's first year end is almost here
Burrow just wasn’t throwing TD’s at the rate Herbert was last year. Chase and Uzomah have been the difference.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
Updated stats:

Burrow- 123/174 (70.6%) for 1540 yards (8.85 per attempt), 14 TDs to 7 INT (107.9 rating)
Herbert- 161/246 (65.4%) for 1771 yards (7.20 per attempt), 14 TDs to 4 INT (98.8 rating)

Herbert is throwing a lot more (41.0 attempts to 29.0 for Burrow), but other than INTs, Burrow has been more efficient in every way.

Burrow is throwing much deeper (12.5 yards/completion) than Herbert (11.0 per completion. Yes...1.5 yards per completed pass is a monster difference.

Despite throwing deeper on average, Burrow is completing a whopping 5% more of his throws. That's why there's such a massive difference between their yards per attempt. 7.20 is flat out average. Maybe below average now...while 8.85 is elite.

Why is this even a discussion? Burrow is having the better season. Despite needing to clean up the picks, Burrow is posting elite numbers. Elite. Yet he has room to grow? Wow.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Burrow does need to stop with the picks that is true. That said 5 of the 7 are in two games where he was just off. What REALLY needs to stop is elite QBGs do not have "off days".
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2021, 01:06 AM)Joelist Wrote: Burrow does need to stop with the picks that is true. That said 5 of the 7 are in two games where he was just off. What REALLY needs to stop is elite QBGs do not have "off days".

Rodgers threw 2 picks and had a 36.8 rating in week 1.
Mahomes has 8 INT in his last 5 games, with 2 clunkers mixed in
Lamar had games with 2 INT and 78.8 rtg and another with 51% comp rate and 81 rtg
Brady had a 70.8 rating against New England

And that's just (probably) the best 4 QBs in the league over the first 1/3rd of the season. All QBs have off days.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
1 thing about Burrow, and I think it's a good thing even though frustrating is his slow starts. Then in the 2nd half he figures it out so to say and starts lighting it up. I have a feeling he's gonna start getting it by 1 or 2 drives instead of a whole half soon.. He just never gives up, no matter what. He has already started changing the culture here. I really do believe the Bengals got that 1 guy they say can turn a whole franchise around... I'd say alot of us , almost all.of us can be proud of what Joe has done in 16 games..
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2021, 12:23 AM)Frank Booth Wrote: Even with the interceptions, he’s still top 10 in passer rating, completion %, yards per completion, and touchdown %

And it’s only his second year

Yes, it’s ridiculous. Particularly that TD% you mentioned. He’s really playing incredible ball and I’m stoked to have him.
Reply/Quote
I know we shouldn't compare and everything, but:

Justin Herbert's first 16 starts:
427 Completions
642 Attempts
66.5% completion percentage
4673 yards
7.27 YPA
32 TD
11 INT
34 Sacks
5 fumbles

Joe Burrow's first 16 starts:
387 Completions
578 Attempts
67% completion percentage
4228 yards
7.31 YPA
27 TDs
12 INT
48 sacks
5 fumbles

These two players are going to be really good for a really long time.
Reply/Quote
I said this last week. Herbert is the beneficiary of busted coverages. Chargers jackass 4th down calls starting to catch up with them as well. Burrow way better not close. Media favors Herbert due to market size.
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2021, 02:24 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: I said this last week. Herbert is the beneficiary of busted coverages. Chargers jackass 4th down calls starting to catch up with them as well. Burrow way better not close. Media favors Herbert due to market size.

This is one of the biggest homer takes ive seen in quite a while. Lol 

Good to have posts like this to even out the constantly negative/complaining ones. 

The media loves Joe Burrow and probably gives him way more of a pass then he deserves on some things.
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2021, 02:30 PM)TheFan Wrote: This is one of the biggest homer takes ive seen in quite a while. Lol 

Good to have posts like this to even out the constantly negative/complaining ones. 

The media loves Joe Burrow and probably gives him way more of a pass then he deserves on some things.

Look at Herberts TD passes this season see how wide the windows are. He has talent just overrated. Philip Rivers is still better imo. Ravens made Herbert throw into tight windows and they got slaughtered.
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2021, 02:47 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: Look at Herberts TD passes this season see how wide the windows are. He has talent just overrated. Philip Rivers is still better imo. Ravens made Herbert throw into tight windows and they got slaughtered.

Burrow looked terrible against the Ravens last year too. You don't just a player based on 1 game. 

Burrow went for 183 yards, 0TD and 1 Int against Baltimore and was sacked 7 times. 

I'm not saying Herbert is better then Burrow but if you're going to use making throws to open receivers or losing to great teams against a QB then Mahomes stinks too because they always have people running wide open. 
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2021, 02:52 PM)TheFan Wrote: Burrow looked terrible against the Ravens last year too. You don't just a player based on 1 game. 

Burrow went for 183 yards, 0TD and 1 Int against Baltimore and was sacked 7 times. 

I'm not saying Herbert is better then Burrow but if you're going to use making throws to open receivers or losing to great teams against a QB then Mahomes stinks too because they always have people running wide open. 

I dont see Herbert throwing people open. Burrow and  Mahomes are. Chargers seem like same old Chargers to me. Time will tell if im right.
Reply/Quote
Burrow's pick last game was on Chase. It hit him in the hands, he has to catch that.

Burrow has been sacked 14 more times than Herbert, and pressured more. And we had next to no speed out wide last year, and Uzomah was out virtually all year. Herbert had a much better supporting cast last year, and the Chargers went bigger on their OL (Slater has been fantastic this year).

Get Burrow 1 more quality OL, a better pass catching TE, and another speedy WR and lookout.
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2021, 03:09 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Burrow's pick last game was on Chase. It hit him in the hands, he has to catch that.

Burrow has been sacked 14 more times than Herbert, and pressured more. And we had next to no speed out wide last year, and Uzomah was out virtually all year. Herbert had a much better supporting cast last year, and the Chargers went bigger on their OL (Slater has been fantastic this year).

Get Burrow 1 more quality OL, a better pass catching TE, and another speedy WR and lookout.

Tbh, we don't even need to make excuses for Burrow. His numbers are better than Herbert's, as I showed on post #86. It's a pretty substantial gap between the two.
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2021, 02:24 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: I said this last week. Herbert is the beneficiary of busted coverages. Chargers jackass 4th down calls starting to catch up with them as well. Burrow way better not close. Media favors Herbert due to market size.

See I don’t think the media favors Herbert. Burrow is the media darling. I could be wrong or biased, but multiple people have A) said Burrow is the young QB to go to the super bowl eventually B) they’re taking the Bengals seriously. They just said it today, Michael Irvin.

Burrow and Chase have made me more of a Bengals fan than a Saints fan. Mostly because I am the most die hard LSU fan ever and Burrow is the savior of Louisiana, and Chase might be the most talented WR we’ve ever had and that’s saying a LOT.

Who dey 
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2021, 04:27 PM)LSUfaninTN Wrote: See I don’t think the media favors Herbert. Burrow is the media darling. I could be wrong or biased, but multiple people have A) said Burrow is the young QB to go to the super bowl eventually B) they’re taking the Bengals seriously. They just said it today, Michael Irvin.

Burrow and Chase have made me more of a Bengals fan than a Saints fan. Mostly because I am the most die hard LSU fan ever and Burrow is the savior of Louisiana, and Chase might be the most talented WR we’ve ever had and that’s saying a LOT.

Who dey 

LSU has really become a contender for WR U…

Chase
Jefferson
OBJ
Landry
Chark

I’m sure I’m forgetting some, too. Maybe they’re still behind Bama and OSU, but they’re closing the gap.

Reply/Quote
(10-18-2021, 04:40 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: LSU has really become a contender for WR U…

Chase
Jefferson
OBJ
Landry
Chark

I’m sure I’m forgetting some, too. Maybe they’re still behind Bama

Bama. NEVER mention that name EVER! Hilarious

But you're right, we have like 3 or 4 1st round WR's at LSU now. Boutte is probably a top 10 pick. 
Reply/Quote