Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Burrow's interception issue over his career
(05-16-2022, 10:07 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Some fans did not like it in 2020 when I kept reminding them that Burrow's passer rating was 24th in the league.  But at the same time I always pointed out that as a rookie behind a terrible O-line Burrrow had the second lowest int percentage in the league (1.2%).  That is a ridiculous number for rookie.  It is also a ridiculous number for a QB with no running game who knows he has to carry the offense.

So I did not really panic when Burrow came out throwing all those picks last year.  I knew that if he could not read defenses he would never have had a 1.2% interception percentage as a rookie.

But a big reason that after 14 weeks we were just 7-6 and struggling to stay in the playoff race was that Joe was leading the league in interceptions (14).  But once he relaxed and stopped trying to force too many high risk passes we caught fire.  Here is an interesting breakdown of Joe's career.

First 11 games..........  5 ints
Next 11 games.......... 14 ints
Last 8 games.............  2 ints

I don't think we have anything to worry about Burrow coming out throwing a bunch of picks.

I think a lot of it could be attributed to just getting on the proverbial same page with his guys.  Joe had some really bad INTs (the pick six on the first drive against the Browns) and some that weren't his fault at all (the would-be TD that Chase bobbled in to an INT).  He did hold on to the ball longer as the season wore on, I felt, and that caused a lot of sacks.  

One thing I hope that improves isn't just the time he has for scanning the field, but if it isn't there and a defender is bearing down, just check it down or throw it away.  Fewer hits reduces risk of injury and that is the one thing that could derail this season more than any other.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-21-2022, 07:55 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I think a lot of it could be attributed to just getting on the proverbial same page with his guys.  Joe had some really bad INTs (the pick six on the first drive against the Browns) and some that weren't his fault at all (the would-be TD that Chase bobbled in to an INT).  He did hold on to the ball longer as the season wore on, I felt, and that caused a lot of sacks.  

One thing I hope that improves isn't just the time he has for scanning the field, but if it isn't there and a defender is bearing down, just check it down or throw it away.  Fewer hits reduces risk of injury and that is the one thing that could derail this season more than any other.  

This is one area Joe needs to learn when to say when a bit better. 
Reply/Quote
(05-21-2022, 05:46 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: This is one area Joe needs to learn when to say when a bit better. 

Disagree, they just went to the Super Bowl with that style of play
Reply/Quote
(05-21-2022, 07:55 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I think a lot of it could be attributed to just getting on the proverbial same page with his guys.  Joe had some really bad INTs (the pick six on the first drive against the Browns) and some that weren't his fault at all (the would-be TD that Chase bobbled in to an INT).  He did hold on to the ball longer as the season wore on, I felt, and that caused a lot of sacks.  

3rd down sacks are not a big deal to Joe if we are out of field goal range from the snap. He would rather try to make a play than throw the ball away. (I agree with you on the injury aspect, but I get what he is saying)

Reply/Quote
(05-21-2022, 05:57 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: Disagree, they just went to the Super Bowl with that style of play

Here is the way I look at it.

Because of the way he plays, Burrow is always going to take a lot of sacks like Russell Wilson and Big Ben did.  Just like them it is part of his nature to hold out until the last moment in hopes of making a play.  I don't want to take that out of him.

But that being said, I still think he needs to throw a few more away.
Reply/Quote
(05-21-2022, 09:44 PM)casear2727 Wrote: 3rd down sacks are not a big deal to Joe if we are out of field goal range from the snap. He would rather try to make a play than throw the ball away. (I agree with you on the injury aspect, but I get what he is saying)

And a sack is better than forcing a desperation, off-balance throw that gets picked.
Reply/Quote
(05-21-2022, 10:12 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Here is the way I look at it.

Because of the way he plays, Burrow is always going to take a lot of sacks like Russell Wilson and Big Ben did.  Just like them it is part of his nature to hold out until the last moment in hopes of making a play.  I don't want to take that out of him.

But that being said, I still think he needs to throw a few more away.

If the bengals didn’t currently have both Higgins and Chase, then I’d say he needs to throw it away more

But having those 2 stud receivers on the field at the same time means Burrow is prob better just chucking it up the majority of the time
Reply/Quote
(05-21-2022, 10:35 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: If the bengals didn’t currently have both Higgins and Chase, then I’d say he needs to throw it away more

But having those 2 stud receivers on the field at the same time means Burrow is prob better just chucking it up the majority of the time

More than just the weapons, I think this is another trait that Burrow possesses that makes him special.  He can manipulate the pocket and even when the rush is starting to close in on him, his vision doesn't narrow.  It actually seems to expand.  He still sees the entire field.  

When under heavy duress, a lot of QBs vision would narrow for their checkdown, or just a quick dumpoff, but Burrow keeps his eyes downfield and waits for that final break.  One of the best I have ever seen that this skill.  The other that comes to mind is Kurt Warner, and that is not bad company to keep...as Joe is much more mobile than Kurt.  
Reply/Quote