Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Burrow "unapologetically himself"
(05-19-2020, 11:02 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I'm pretty sure it's more his exceedingly punchable face.

[Image: f4d9681344248773.png]

[Image: 7e3fcd1344248780.png]

[Image: ceb0021344248787.png]

[Image: 98dab71344248807.png]

'come at me bro'

Reply/Quote
(05-19-2020, 12:42 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Leadership is not swagger.. Leadership is what other's around you gravitate to you.. some players think talking and yelling means leadership etc.. the big part is how you bond your teammates and admit mistakes and not blame others..... obviously the more talent and success you have on the field can increase that leadership .. Some on the board act like a quite unassuming players like Dalton or AJ could not be a leader but those that have played with them have spoken highly about their leadership and both rarely shifted blame to others which helped adhere to their leadership qualities.. Anderson was a great example of a Leader with zero swagger and so many Bengals players of the past hold him very high as a Leader..

It the end.. you have to perform, bond with teammates and accept your mistakes ... Hopefully Burrow is able to do that in the NFL
I don't know how one does this but this post belongs in the JN HOF. IMHO
Go Benton Panthers!!
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-19-2020, 11:59 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: You’re the absolute worst.

Hilarious  Don't know why it struck me as so funny, but the simplicity of this post made me spit coffee....
Reply/Quote
(05-19-2020, 12:42 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Leadership is not swagger.. Leadership is what other's around you gravitate to you.. some players think talking and yelling means leadership etc.. the big part is how you bond your teammates and admit mistakes and not blame others..... obviously the more talent and success you have on the field can increase that leadership .. Some on the board act like a quite unassuming players like Dalton or AJ could not be a leader but those that have played with them have spoken highly about their leadership and both rarely shifted blame to others which helped adhere to their leadership qualities.. Anderson was a great example of a Leader with zero swagger and so many Bengals players of the past hold him very high as a Leader..

It the end.. you have to perform, bond with teammates and accept your mistakes ... Hopefully Burrow is able to do that in the NFL

Wasn't Dre's nickname "Swag"...yeah, that should put to bed that word.  
Reply/Quote
(05-19-2020, 05:50 PM)Atomic Orange Wrote: [Image: f4d9681344248773.png]

[Image: 7e3fcd1344248780.png]

[Image: ceb0021344248787.png]

[Image: 98dab71344248807.png]

'come at me bro'

I wouldn't call Burrow's face exceedingly punchable.  If you want a QB like that, look at the rapist pig a state over.  That face is incredibly punchable.  Except you might lose your fist in some chins.  
Reply/Quote
https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2020/05/20/bengals-joe-burrow-practice-fight-won-over-teammates/

'According to The Atheltic’s Brody Miller, one practice fight at LSU is the most-cited account of Burrow earning the respect of his teammates.

Long story short, Burrow was torching the LSU defense and safety JaCoby Stevens took exception:

“So safety JaCoby Stevens came off the edge on a red zone blitz and smoked Burrow to the ground. One person remembers Burrow’s helmet even coming off, and Burrow instantly popped up and charged at Stevens, grabbing his face mask.”

Miller wrote that the whole team, including K’Lavon Chaisson (despite rehabbing an ACL) got involved in the brawl.

This practice fight story is just another example of the personality traits, including competitiveness, that won so many over.'
Reply/Quote
(05-19-2020, 11:02 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I'm pretty sure it's more his exceedingly punchable face.

He could be a truly great dude, and I want him to succeed because it means the Bengals will succeed.... but I see his face and I can't help but think how punchable it is. Probably a bit better now that he's not long haired anymore...
[Image: maxresdefault.jpg]

...but still very punchable.

[Image: 7c81efa4-ca34-4613-83cb-0e3512bc09e4-USA...&auto=webp]

I think you have some repressed feelings for Burrow. The only way you can cope is by claiming he is punchable... I have the feeling you want to punch him with your lips...
Reply/Quote
Posting his High School photos is a little unsettling.....
Reply/Quote
(05-19-2020, 01:49 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Yeah, even Burrow himself doesn't seem to keen on the 'swagger' label:

'Swagger is something that doesn't really have anything behind it. Confidence has a lot of preparation behind it. There's a lot of false confidence out there that you could describe as swagger. The reason I'm so confident is because I know the work I put in, the preparation I put in...before every single game and in the off-season and that's why I'm so confident.'

Two times decathlon Olympic champion Daley Thompson said he used to train on Christmas Day because his rival wasn't. The edge he got from doing so wasn't so much physical as mental.
Reply/Quote
(05-19-2020, 09:26 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: https://www.si.com/nfl/bengals/news/joe-burrow-leadership-bengals

“I just work really, really hard every day, and I think that probably rubs off on people," Burrow said. "I’m just unapologetically myself, and I think that’s a good thing and people respect that.”

We've had dozens and dozens of Burrow threads and thousands of posts, I know, but I believe this is a key even crucial aspect of a leader.

He's not afraid to cut his own path even if it's not on the beaten one. He's not scared to speak his mind and tell you the truth about how he feels. He's not going to sugar coat everything and worry about everybody's feelings.

At the end of one of the post draft interviews he's asked "tell us one thing about yourself nobody knows" Joe replies "I just do ball" or something like that ? Then he says "you were expecting some quirky answer, weren't you ?" He is who he is and believes what he believes and he's not gonna just comply, I love it !

Does any of this guarantee JB is gonna be an all world NFL QB ? No

But I sure do like no love what I'm seeing and hearing from him.  Joe

Love it brother. He sort of has it all, his has the moxie as you speak of, the leadership, the accuracy, the smarts, the ability to 
take a picture of a Defense before the play happens, the ability to throw Receivers open, he is mobile and will make you pay 
with his legs. The only thing anyone can even speak bad about is arm strength and that can be improved upon.

Joe replies "I am all about ball". Yeah baby, think bright days are ahead. Was just watching the 88' AFC Championship against 
the Bills and there was a confidence to Boomer that was somewhat similar and the entire team fed off of it. 

Hope the same happens with Burrow. Rock On
Reply/Quote
(05-19-2020, 01:49 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Yeah, even Burrow himself doesn't seem to keen on the 'swagger' label:

'Swagger is something that doesn't really have anything behind it. Confidence has a lot of preparation behind it. There's a lot of false confidence out there that you could describe as swagger. The reason I'm so confident is because I know the work I put in, the preparation I put in...before every single game and in the off-season and that's why I'm so confident.'

Great quote, thanks once again Holic.  Cool 

I will have to change the word swagger in my post to just plain confidence.

(05-19-2020, 03:33 PM)sandwedge Wrote: I caught that when he said it in his post draft interview. I think the most impressive thing about JB, to me anyway, is just the composure and thought process he has. I've been around a few world leaders and Heads of State people and that is pretty much what you see with these people. 

Cool stuff Wedge. ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(05-19-2020, 10:36 AM)Jason_NC Wrote: Boomer had it.  Burrow looks to have Boomer's moxie and Anderson's accuracy.  And maybe more of both.

I always thought Boomer was more cocky than confident. There is a difference. Again, he's not taken an NFL snap but he has that "it" factor for sure. It took a while for his athleticism to catch up but it seems to have done so. 
I know who I am! I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude!
Reply/Quote
The thing I've been afraid of is that the Bengals will attempt to neuter his personality. It just seemed like we've always discouraged players from having any type of personality. I don't have any rock solid evidence for that. Just the vibe I get, considering how bland all of our players tend to be, and how hated Chad was by people like Marvin.

Chad liked to provide extra motivation for himself, such as when he created that list. His goal was to be great. Marvin and co stifled that, discouraged any type of personality and tried to squeeze round pegs into square holes. There was nothing wrong with creating a little extra motivation. Michael Jordan did it all the time and that's the GOAT.

Not all players are the same, and hopefully our organization gets that and allows Burrow to be himself.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote

This quote sounds a lot like what Michael Jordan has said through the years. He always said he never doubted himself because he knew he'd put in the work and preparation. Hence the confidence.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(05-27-2020, 01:38 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: This quote sounds a lot like what Michael Jordan has said through the years. He always said he never doubted himself because he knew he'd put in the work and preparation. Hence the confidence.

We've yet to see Burrow take an NFL snap, who knows what he'll end up being ? But it sure seems he just exudes confidence, he sure seems to be just one of those natural born leaders.

I hope we get to see soon.
Reply/Quote
(05-20-2020, 09:49 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I wouldn't call Burrow's face exceedingly punchable.  If you want a QB like that, look at the rapist pig a state over.  That face is incredibly punchable.  Except you might lose your fist in some chins.  

I don't personally want to punch Joe Burrow i was just teasing LL because he always wants to punch him.

(05-21-2020, 08:21 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Posting his High School photos is a little unsettling.....

Those are screenshots from "Move the Sticks 360: A deep look at Joe Burrow".

Reply/Quote
(05-27-2020, 08:13 PM)Atomic Orange Wrote: Those are screenshots from "Move the Sticks 360: A deep look at Joe Burrow".

May be, but they are still pictures of him in High School.....
Reply/Quote
(05-27-2020, 01:30 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: The thing I've been afraid of is that the Bengals will attempt to neuter his personality. It just seemed like we've always discouraged players from having any type of personality. I don't have any rock solid evidence for that. Just the vibe I get, considering how bland all of our players tend to be, and how hated Chad was by people like Marvin.

Chad liked to provide extra motivation for himself, such as when he created that list. His goal was to be great. Marvin and co stifled that, discouraged any type of personality and tried to squeeze round pegs into square holes. There was nothing wrong with creating a little extra motivation. Michael Jordan did it all the time and that's the GOAT.

Not all players are the same, and hopefully our organization gets that and allows Burrow to be himself.

Zac is completely different then Marvin. Doubt he tries to neuter Burrow's confidence, would be beyond stupid.

(05-27-2020, 01:38 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: This quote sounds a lot like what Michael Jordan has said through the years. He always said he never doubted himself because he knew he'd put in the work and preparation. Hence the confidence.

Also sounds like Burrow...

But yeah, I remember the year Jordan and the Bulls lost to the young Magic with Shaq and Penny and the next year Jordan 
came back with a vengeance and built up his body to take all the punishment. Similar to what he had to do against the Pistons
before he started taking over the world. Man, the Pistons in the day sure were a physical team to say the least.

Laimbeer would just hammer people man, crazy.
Reply/Quote
(05-27-2020, 01:30 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote:  how hated Chad was by people like Marvin.

Marvin let Chad get away with murder.

He loved him.
Reply/Quote
(05-21-2020, 08:21 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Posting his High School photos is a little unsettling.....

Meh, we've done a lot worse.  Remember the discussion Brad led about Dalton's dong?  That was about six light years beyond unsettling Say What
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote