Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Burrow was rumored to be having dinner with Ekeler
(03-15-2023, 10:15 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I think we need to adopt the model where we build the offensive line and then plug cheap, drafted guys in.

Seems to be what KC is doing. Pacheco looked pretty awesome for a later pick.

It's amazing how great a late round draft pick can look when he has 3 Pro Bowl offensive linemen blocking for him.   I keep hoping the Bengals improve their offensive line.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2023, 03:06 AM)casear2727 Wrote: You do know Ekeler is not a free agent, right?

exactly..it would take draft picks and picking up salary
I say go hard at Williams or Hunt and draft a chnage of pace guy in middle of draft.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2023, 10:41 AM)higgy100 Wrote: Really not that important based on everything else he does on the field and off but he did take a 40 plus yard reception to the house in the SB and looked quite fast doing it.

Are we talking about Mixon? Because he definitely didn't. I don't see anyone else mentioned in this specific chain. 
Reply/Quote
Interesting….but, hard for me to swallow the whole “someone said they saw JB with another NFL player at the Precinct and it could be/maybe/was Eckler. These guys are cognizant of the optics of such a meeting…..especially JB. I would think there would be some discretion on the part of both players, and the Precinct about letting that cat out of the bag.

However, if true, and I really don’t know the Ts and Cs of Mixon’s contract, but would it be more than signing Eckler? It looks like we’re moving on from Mixon, so that money goes where?

I’d love to have Eckler here. But, on a short term deal. I hope we get a vet RB who’s decent and draft well, as that’s the smart move. But, Katie and Duke seem to be juggling chain saws with some of the non-signings.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2023, 10:45 AM)KillerGoose Wrote: Are we talking about Mixon? Because he definitely didn't. I don't see anyone else mentioned in this specific chain. 

That's my bad, Sled and Goose. Maybe if I read correctly I'd see it was Mixon.
Reply/Quote
I hope no one here legitimately believes the Bengals are going to make a play for Ekeler.

1. It wouldn't make sense. The money needs to go to Higgins/Burrow/Chase.
2. Don't overpay for running backs, which are largely fungible commodities.
3. Even if the trade capital somehow eased the financial burden, it still wouldn't make sense.
4. He'll be 28 next season. For comparison, Mixon is 26.

It would be fun, and if this was fantasy football, I'd love it.
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2023, 10:14 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: He wants a new contract and the Chargers won't give him one. He'll be 28 at the start of the season.

I don't know that giving a RB a big 3rd contract makes sense...

I agree with this take unless Bengals can get him on a one or two year deal and only give up Mixon and a late draft pick.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Evidently at least one Steelers writer is nervous about the possibility of Ekler becoming a Bengal.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/steelers-hoping-premier-running-back-isn-t-traded-to-afc-north-rival/ar-AA18F58W?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=2383ff9588244d489dd9ddd5eaa577e3&ei=13

Quote:The Pittsburgh Steelers got better on Tuesday by signing three players to contracts. The team was also able to keep defensive lineman Larry Ogunjobi and safety Damontae Kazee, while signing offensive lineman Nate Herbig as well. These three deals came after Patrick Peterson agreed to a two-year contract on Monday.

The Cincinnati Bengals retained two of their own by re-signing linebacker Germaine Pratt and safety Michael Thomas. This came after losing both of their starting safeties, Jessie Bates and Vonn Bell. The Bengals were quiet on Tuesday, but could they be preparing to make a big splash with a star running back that wants to be traded?

Los Angeles Chargers running back Austin Ekeler requested a trade Monday morning after the two sides couldn’t make progress on a contract extension. The Chargers granted Ekeler permission to seek a trade Tuesday afternoon. He's in the final year of his contract, only owed $6.25 million next year. Ekeler is a premier back, excelling in the passing game both as a blocker and a receiving option. This could be dangerous for the Steelers if Joe Burrow and company get their hands on him.

Cincinnati has been suggested as a potential suitor for Ekeler. With Joe Mixon on the roster, why would the Bengals trade for another top running back? If the Bengals prefer Ekeler over Mixon, they could trade for Ekeler and attempt to trade away Mixon. Mixon has been on the wrong side of the news over the last couple of weeks. While no charges have been filed, Cincinnati could choose to part ways with Mixon by cutting him and saving the $12.7 million cap.

Cincinnati Loses Another Piece
The Bengals lost their backup running back to the Denver Broncos Tuesday afternoon. Samaje Perine received a two-year, $7.5 million deal to play in Denver. With one less running back on the roster, that could further their interest in pursuing Ekeler. Perine was great as a receiving back last season when he got the opportunity. In a game against Pittsburgh, he tallied four catches for 52 yards, three of which went for touchdowns. It's no secret that Burrow and the Bengals love targeting their running backs. Adding Ekeler with his elite receiving ability to the equation could be even more lethal.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
This has to be a joke.

He is older and likely more expensive than Mixon. This is the opposite of what we should be doing.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2023, 11:26 AM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: This has to be a joke.

He is older and likely more expensive than Mixon. This is the opposite of what we should be doing.

There’s no “likely” about it. He will be.
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote
That article makes it seem like Ekeler is making less than Mixon, right? I'm no capologist but what if we traded or cut Mixon, and then gave Ekeler a salary similar to what Mixon currently makes but maybe have more years so it's less of a cap hit? Basically we restructure Mixon's contract but we restructure it to where it turns into Ekeler at RB.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
I had no idea Ekeler was older than Mixon.
Since that's the case... his performance better be well above Mixons to make it worth him coming here.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2023, 11:26 AM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: This has to be a joke.

Only way is if a ring chasing veteran came here. But, that's not the case here. He wants paid heavily.
Reply/Quote
I don’t see why we would. If they’d take a 6th or a 7th then i mean damn you gotta do that. Dude is only owed 7 million i think. You’d have to cut Mixon so it’s basically be a 1 for 1 replacement that costs a late draft pick

No way I’d give anything higher than a 6th.
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2023, 11:26 AM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: This has to be a joke.

With Big paydays coming to Burrow, Chase and maybe Higgens, the Bengals probably won't be giving large contracts to running backs going forward.

The Ravens have tended to sign cheap older backs to mix in with Drafted backs in recent years.

The Patriots have been Drafting and using them on rookie contracts then letting them leave in Free Agency.

Finding a solid back in rounds 1 and 2 of Drafts seems to be doable more often than not. Many mid round backs become serviceable and the Chiefs landed a 7th round speedster in Isiah Pacheco.

It will be interesting to see what the Bengals do at the running back position going forward.
Reply/Quote
I guess you could talk yourself into it, if the Bengals are set on moving on from Mixon, Ekeler IS a true three-down back in a passing offense. He runs well, catches well, YAC, AND he can pass block. With him, you aren’t telegraphing your playcalls and you can count on him to pick up the correct blitzer / guy who gets through. Again, I’m not for paying RBs but I guess you COULD talk yourself into this possible trade.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2023, 09:39 AM)Synric Wrote: Bengals want to shed money at RB not pay another 10m a year guy.

Pretty much tihs. Signing Ekeler would be kinda dumb. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2023, 01:12 PM)The D.O.Z. Wrote: I guess you could talk yourself into it, if the Bengals are set on moving on from Mixon, Ekeler IS a true three-down back in a passing offense. He runs well, catches well, YAC, AND he can pass block. With him, you aren’t telegraphing your playcalls and you can count on him to pick up the correct blitzer / guy who gets through. Again, I’m not for paying RBs but I guess you COULD talk yourself into this possible trade.

If we follow through and bring him in I will talk myself into it.

Right now, I am in the camp of building the trenches and adding cheap, talent at the RB position that can pass block.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2023, 10:15 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I think we need to adopt the model where we build the offensive line and then plug cheap, drafted guys in.

Seems to be what KC is doing. Pacheco looked pretty awesome for a later pick.

Seems to work for the Chiefs.

Their model:
- Pay your elite QB
- Pay for 1 premiere pass catcher
- Pay for 2-3 upper-tier OL
- Use cheap FAs and/or draft picks for the rest of the offensive weapons
- Land a couple good draft picks for the rest of the OL
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-15-2023, 01:55 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Seems to work for the Chiefs.

Their model:
- Pay your elite QB
- Pay for 1 premiere pass catcher
- Pay for 2-3 upper-tier OL
- Use cheap FAs and/or draft picks for the rest of the offensive weapons
- Land a couple good draft picks for the rest of the OL

For some reason we are incapable of #5....

Reply/Quote