Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Bus Stop" roller/disco in Dayton years ago.
Anyone remember the "Bus Stop" teen (no alcohol) roller rink/disco in Dayton in the late 70's and early 80's.

I used to go there all the time. Disco on one side. Roller rink on the other. Even though I was a good skater I never skated there. I was all about busting my moves on the dance floor.

The parking lot was the party scene.
Reply/Quote
back in my middle school/junior high years, we went to Sioux Center, Iowa to go roller skating.   Mony Mony, I think sung by Billy Idol, was by far the most popular song playing on the roller rink.   Everytime i still hear that song, i go back to roller skating over there.  Also, every time I left, I left with an untold # of bruises, knees, elbows, forearms, etc.   i was pretty much black and blue the next day.  How I never managed to break a bone still baffles me to this day.    

That's also the place where I mastered the art of throwing Skeetball.
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
The only places I remember were The Lighthouse and Gatsbys that had teen dances on weekends.
Song of Solomon 2:15
Take us the foxes, the little foxes, that spoil the vines: for our vines have tender grapes.
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2019, 03:06 PM)fredtoast Wrote: The parking lot was the party scene.

Parking lot - alcohol = Weed. Cool

Reply/Quote
(02-19-2019, 03:06 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Anyone remember the "Bus Stop" teen (no alcohol) roller rink/disco in Dayton in the late 70's and early 80's.

I used to go there all the time.  Disco on one side.  Roller rink on the other.  Even though I was a good skater I never skated there.  I was all about busting my moves on the dance floor.

Yes I saw guitar phenom Yngwie Malmsteen play there in 86' or 87'. 

Billy Sheean(DLR/Mr. Big)was playing for the opening band called Talas.

There were like 30 people there tops.

Very cool memory for me, but let's just say Yngwie played an abbreviated show.  LOL
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2019, 10:44 PM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: The only places I remember were The Lighthouse and Gatsbys that had teen dances on weekends.

I think I went to Gatsbys in the 80s.

Did they have live bands there?
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2019, 08:44 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Parking lot - alcohol = Weed. Cool

ESPECIALLY at Hara Arena. Cool

Used to party hard there.  Even out in the open.  Oh the 80s were the shiznit.
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2019, 03:06 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Anyone remember the "Bus Stop" teen (no alcohol) roller rink/disco in Dayton in the late 70's and early 80's.

I used to go there all the time.  Disco on one side.  Roller rink on the other.  Even though I was a good skater I never skated there.  I was all about busting my moves on the dance floor.

Was that in Centerville, south of Downtown Dayton? I do remember the name, but don't think I ever made it over there. If it is where I think it is, I think they turned it into a Salvation Army store at some point.

(02-20-2019, 09:25 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: ESPECIALLY at Hara Arena. Cool

I went to some concerts there back in the early eighties. I saw Rick Springfield and Kool and the Gang there. I think I saw Earth, Wind and Fire somewhere else (U.D. Arena, maybe?).

I hear that they tore Hara down in 2016.
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2019, 09:52 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: Was that in Centerville, south of Downtown Dayton? I do remember the name, but don't think I ever made it over there. If it is where I think it is, I think they turned it into a Salvation Army store at some point.

I went to some concerts there back in the early eighties. I saw Rick Springfield and Kool and the Gang there. I think I saw Earth, Wind and Fire somewhere else (U.D. Arena, maybe?).

I hear that they tore Hara down in 2016.

Yep.  If not in Centerville it was pretty close to it.

I saw about every metal band you could think of at Hara.  Priest, Maiden, Dio, the list goes on.

Black Sabbath was my first concert there.

If you want a laugh just look up Heavy Metal Parking Lot on Youtube.

Lot's of funny stuff.  Like this chick that says she wants to hump Rob Halford.
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2019, 09:25 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: ESPECIALLY at Hara Arena. Cool

Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, Dokken, Wasp.

Reply/Quote
I missed out, but I do recall one group in my school (West Carrollton at the time) that was into roller skating. Not so coincidentally they we also the group who got tripped up by well placed strings across certain areas around the school. I guess I was just never quite into that hip scene instead opting to just stay too stoned to do much of anything at the time. 
I was the loner, strong, silent guy who almost threw the little squirt loud mouth out the 3rd floor window for jabbing me in the back with a pencil .. He (who shall remain nameless) developed a reputation of having a big mouth and hated by all the girls in my class so that day in question gained me the adoration of every girl in class. If it hadn't been for the gym teacher intervening at the last second I'd probably still be in prison for throwing him out that window..  Why I didn't take advantage of all that adoration is still a mystery.. I'll forever regret being shy around girls in 9th grade.. lol
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote