Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bush funeral
I saw a good bit on the news about the "snubs" from one person or another...most of what I saw was cut video that made it appear that way.

Hillary didn't go out of her way to say hello to Trump but she did smile and nod at Melania.  Bill shook her hand.  Trump didn't go out of his way either...lol.

Couldn't see what the Carter's did at the end of the pew.

I think GW did the best by going down the front and saying hello to everyone.

Overall I think it was as gracious an event as one could want.

As usual GWB came off as a nice guy that people could identify with.  His eulogy was very good.  Humorous and touching.

I still need to go back and hear the other ones.  I heard bits of the one from Bush's biographer and it sounded good.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
There were also notable foreign dignitaries there from Prince Charles, Merklel, King of Jordan, past UK Prime Minister Major, and few others.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
From the snippets I saw everything looked fine, and people looking to find something else should find something better to do. It would have been weird if Hillary climbed across several people to hug Trump or something. They aren't besties (like Clinton and 41).
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Trump can bide his time and be nice for this funeral seeing as Jimmy Carter is next.
I was glad to see the mentality of "leave it on the field".

Now that asshat from the View...That's a different story.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

I'm not the only one who like W better now than when he was POTUS?  I didn't agree with his politics and policies back then, but he's been growing on me lately.  I never thought I'd say that.
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

(12-06-2018, 03:44 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: I'm not the only one who like W better now than when he was POTUS?  I didn't agree with his politics and policies back then, but he's been growing on me lately.  I never thought I'd say that.

I think it happens with MOST.  Current one probably not so much.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(12-06-2018, 03:44 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: I'm not the only one who like W better now than when he was POTUS?  I didn't agree with his politics and policies back then, but he's been growing on me lately.  I never thought I'd say that.

I voted for his dad. Didn't agree with some of his decisions, but I still have a ton of respect for him as a person and as a leader. I was glad he was able to take the Dana Carvey impersonations in good humor.

And the political and military coalition he put together to retake Kuwait was absolutely textbook perfect. I don't know if we have had any other leader since maybe Eisenhower who could have pulled of such a thing. We could have easily gone in and just did it alone (and we did do the lion's share). But to include over a hundred other nations in the effort, where they all felt a part... foreign policy masterpiece. No single world leader has had so much clout since.

I'm much more forgiving of W. than I was a decade ago. I'm convinced he got a lot of bad counsel (and possibly some intimidation) from Cheney and others.
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]

I liked him best when he was just the owner of the Rangers, personally. 
It's my personal belief that so many are starting to see W in a better light because they have a) grown up a bit and as time passes we gain perspective and b) they see how much worse it can be.

Much like all the stories about the funeral said how no speakers mentioned the current POTUS it struck most people that if anyone speaks of civility and decency in politics ones mind automatically compares it to the current admin and how it seems to have neither of those things.

The current President is setting an example that people will use for a long time on how not to act.  Hopefully it sticks.

And hopefully we do not forget how decent people acted too.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(12-07-2018, 10:05 AM)GMDino Wrote: It's my personal belief that so many are starting to see W in a better light because they have a) grown up a bit and as time passes we gain perspective and b) they see how much worse it can be.

Much like all the stories about the funeral said how no speakers mentioned the current POTUS it struck most people that if anyone speaks of civility and decency in politics ones mind automatically compares it to the current admin and how it seems to have neither of those things.

The current President is setting an example that people will use for a long time on how not to act.  Hopefully it sticks.

And hopefully we do not forget how decent people acted too.

I think it is much more B.

There is the man and the presidency. I absolutely don't see the 43 presidency in a better light. Until Trump gets us into an unnecessary war and/or irreparably breaks our alliances, 43 is still the worst foreign policy president since maybe Johnson.

Bush the man, though, has remained presidential, decent and dignified, since leaving office.  I do respect that. Also, though conned by neo cons, he ran a much tighter and professional WH than some current presidents I can think of.
(12-06-2018, 04:07 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: And the political and military coalition he put together to retake Kuwait was absolutely textbook perfect. I don't know if we have had any other leader since maybe Eisenhower who could have pulled of such a thing. We could have easily gone in and just did it alone (and we did do the lion's share). But to include over a hundred other nations in the effort, where they all felt a part... foreign policy masterpiece. No single world leader has had so much clout since.

I'm much more forgiving of W. than I was a decade ago. I'm convinced he got a lot of bad counsel (and possibly some intimidation) from Cheney and others.

Agree with you there. That was amazing. 28 countries beside the U.S. on the battlefield.  And the Saudis footed a chunk of the bill too--billions of dollars.

So many unsung positives in that action--working through the UN, setting a limited goal and sticking to it, refusing to "break" Iraq, turning Kuwait back over to the Kuwaitis, getting the troops back home when it was done. Respect for the US in the Middle East was at a high point.

Such a contrast to the Iraq War.  Just as Trump helps us see how "presidential" all past presidents really were, so does Bush 2's Iraq War help us understand the success of the Gulf War, in conception, execution, and consequence.
(12-07-2018, 05:27 PM)Dill Wrote: Agree with you there. That was amazing. 28 countries beside the U.S. on the battlefield.  And the Saudis footed a chunk of the bill too--billions of dollars.

So many unsung positives in that action--working through the UN, setting a limited goal and sticking to it, refusing to "break" Iraq, turning Kuwait back over to the Kuwaitis, getting the troops back home when it was done. Respect for the US in the Middle East was at a high point.

Such a contrast to the Iraq War.  Just as Trump helps us see how "presidential" all past presidents really were, so does Bush 2's Iraq War help us understand the success of the Gulf War, in conception, execution, and consequence.

I have become a little more gracious to Bush 2 since he left office. I tend to call the Iraq War "Cheney's War" now.

Or better yet, "Cheney's National Hunting Party".
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
(12-06-2018, 03:16 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I was glad to see the mentality of "leave it on the field". 

When it come to memorial services I think the wishes of the deceased are the more important thing.  I would not want some asshole who mocked me while I was alive be given honorable treatment at my memorial service.
(12-07-2018, 06:05 PM)fredtoast Wrote: When it come to memorial services I think the wishes of the deceased are the more important thing.  I would not want some asshole who mocked me while I was alive be given honorable treatment at my memorial service.

I'd have no problem with it. Sort of the "bigger man" thing.

Plus how could you not want anyone treated honorably at your memorial? 

(12-07-2018, 06:48 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I'd have no problem with it. Sort of the "bigger man" thing.

Hilarious Yeah, you have proved that over and again with your posting style here.  All class.  No snark or whining.

(12-07-2018, 06:48 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Plus how could you not want anyone treated honorably at your memorial? 

Some of us believe honor is something that should be earned.  Since McCain was a veteran I guess he did not want some asshole who mocked vets being treated with honor at his funeral.
(12-07-2018, 07:56 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Hilarious Yeah, you have proved that over and again with your posting style here.  All class.  No snark or whining.

Some of us believe honor is something that should be earned.  Since McCain was a veteran I guess he did not want some asshole who mocked vets being treated with honor at his funeral.

Never said I wouldn't give as I receive. But at the end of the day: whatever.

I had 0 problem with the Commander in Chief receiving honors at a veteran's funeral. 

It brings me to mind of some of my retired Military folks. You can retire at 20 years (which I quickly did) or if you stay for 30 you get a personal letter signed by POTUS. Mant Military were mad when Obama took over for Bush and said: "I don't even want the damn letter now". I quickly informed them of their narrow minded views and let them know the Letter is about what you did and a simple thanks from your duly elected Commander In Chief. 

One of the sayings I try to live by is:

Life is not defined who loves you, it's about who you love

(12-07-2018, 08:21 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I had 0 problem with the Commander in Chief receiving honors at a veteran's funeral. 

Of course you didn't.  You had no problem with the "Commander in Chief" who never served a day in his life mocking a former prisoner of war.  

You just do whatever they tell you.
(12-07-2018, 08:21 PM)bfine32 Wrote: . Mant Military were mad when Obama took over for Bush and said: "I don't even want the damn letter now".

Why?

Obama never did anything bad to the military while Bush got a lot of them killed and disabled by lying his way into war that had nothing to do with defending our country.
(12-07-2018, 09:04 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Of course you didn't.  You had no problem with the "Commander in Chief" who never served a day in his life mocking a former prisoner of war.  

You just do whatever they tell you.

Of course I had issues with Trump's comments toward McCain and expressed them.

But guilty as charged. In the Military I did whatever they told me