Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Butler County Ohio Man Killed over politics
Anthony King of Okeana, Ohio was murdered by his neighbor. His neighbor, Austin Combs has been charged with the killing. Combs has confronted King several times over his presumed Democrat beliefs. I'll bet all my lottery winnings (where are those numbers!?) that conservative media will never report on this

https://www.journal-news.com/news/man-charged-with-murder-in-shooting-death-of-neighbor-outside-butler-county-home/XALOERKDY5C5DEPAGRIWIJUBLY/?fbclid=IwAR1MjQ_Wf6t7RerCRT5h3vd_TZzqPtSG8izn5_4hwkON9aKK3l4ADYpr2l8

Quote:“I look in the backyard and that man is walking away from my husband and my husband is on the ground,” the woman told dispatchers. “He has come over like four times confronting my husband because he thought he was a Democrat, Why, why … Please, I don’t understand.”

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
I live on a dirt road in PA and I thank god, allah, jeebus and buddah that my neighbors are peaceful Mennonites.

On a more related note, decades of preaching "defense through offense" in our foreign policy has come home now that the political powers that be have realized the success that comes from convincing people the enemy is their fellow Americans. Gaining power by convincing voters that the enemy is next door is frighteningly effective, and as usual it's the regular folks who end up paying the price for the pro-war rhetoric.

This guy wasn't even sure his neighbor was a democrat, but it was still worth (hopefully) spending the rest of his life in prison. I'm not even sure if you could get a jury of 12 people to all agree that it is wrong to kill someone of the opposite political alignment, anymore.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-08-2022, 12:14 PM)pally Wrote: Anthony King of Okeana, Ohio was murdered by his neighbor.  His neighbor, Austin Combs has been charged with the killing.  Combs has confronted King several times over his presumed Democrat beliefs.  I'll bet all my lottery winnings (where are those numbers!?) that conservative media will never report on this

https://www.journal-news.com/news/man-charged-with-murder-in-shooting-death-of-neighbor-outside-butler-county-home/XALOERKDY5C5DEPAGRIWIJUBLY/?fbclid=IwAR1MjQ_Wf6t7RerCRT5h3vd_TZzqPtSG8izn5_4hwkON9aKK3l4ADYpr2l8

if thats all true thats awlful. 
Reply/Quote
Insane
-Housh
Reply/Quote
Politics used to be kind of fun and interesting to discuss with people who had interest, regardless of belief. Now I limit my discussions to the anonymous folk on here. I don't even voice disagreements with friends anymore.

People in general are getting insane. I watched a shirtless dude threaten to throw two women over the Clay Wade Bailey bridge after the game on Sunday. Right in front of my 9 year old kid. He was frothing and cursing and gesturing. All for riding a scooter past him and his kid. He then proceeded to feverishly explain to me with plenty of expletives how he was just protecting kids like his and mine from getting hit. I calmy listened and kept walking.

My son told me he thought I was going to have to beat the guy up. I asked if he thought I could have and he told me yes, because I was bigger and stronger. Fun fact: I very much effing doubt I could have. Neighbors, people leaving a game in broad daylight, you never know when you'll run into an unreasonably violent person anymore. Pay attention to your surroundings and act accordingly.
Reply/Quote
Never ever discuss politics with neighbors. I don't have any insane ones that would kill you, but there's no upside.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(11-09-2022, 10:38 AM)michaelsean Wrote: Never ever discuss politics with neighbors.  I don't have any insane ones that would kill you, but there's no upside.

I guess details on this case here are still hazy, and while I agree with your point, is there evidence this guy talked politics with the guy who shot him or even was a democrat?  The 911 call emphasizes that the guy THOUGHT he was a democrat.  It's possible this guy simply had the impossible criteria that if you weren't blatantly and aggressively "on his side" you were the enemy.

People this nuts tend to have impossible criteria to give them what they see as a reason to harm people...or "defend" themselves.  It's the old asking someone to prove something false that can never be satisfied.  On a non-political note my cousin was married to a woman who had this mindset long before it hit the political mainstream.  If he was out of sight she'd call his phone damn near every 30 seconds because she knew he was cheating on him. It was very "You are cheating on me, let me see your phone.....ok, so you must have a secret phone you use to contact these women then if this one is clean." It's endless.

I've just had too much experience dealing with this insatiable mindset, so seeing it hit the political mainstream is quite disturbing. 
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2022, 10:41 AM)Nately120 Wrote: I guess details on this case here are still hazy, and while I agree with your point, is there evidence this guy talked politics with the guy who shot him or even was a democrat?  The 911 call emphasizes that the guy THOUGHT he was a democrat.  It's possible this guy simply had the impossible criteria that if you weren't blatantly and aggressively "on his side" you were the enemy.

People this nuts tend to have impossible criteria to give them what they see as a reason to harm people...or "defend" themselves.  It's the old asking someone to prove something false that can never be satisfied.  On a non-political note my cousin was married to a woman who had this mindset long before it hit the political mainstream.  If he was out of sight she'd call his phone damn near every 30 seconds because she knew he was cheating on him.

I've just had too much experience dealing with this insatiable mindset, so seeing it hit the political mainstream is quite disturbing. 

Yeah I don't know about this particular case.  Hell he could have thought he was a RINO, which I believe is lower than a Democrat.  Not talking politics with neighbors is just my rule in general.  Based on yard signs I can tell a few of my neighbors and I would disagree, and that doesn't bother me in the least.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(11-09-2022, 10:49 AM)michaelsean Wrote: Yeah I don't know about this particular case.  Hell he could have thought he was a RINO, which I believe is lower than a Democrat.  Not talking politics with neighbors is just my rule in general.  Based on yard signs I can tell a few of my neighbors and I would disagree, and that doesn't bother me in the least.

I've never put up a political sign and I can't see myself ever feeling so inclined too.  As my old man would say, stuff like that is just "begging for trouble."  Same goes with bumper stickers, I clearly don't mind throwing my dumbass opinions around but to just pseudo-force them on the nonconsenting public like that is too showy for me. 

I was cleaning out the spring up in the woods here last year and I ran into my neighbor for the first time on a four wheeler path that divides the property (it's weird typing this out since my last place of residence was in East Liberty) and he and I had a cordial introduction and I mentioned forgetting if I needed to "open" the foot valve (foot pump?) in the spring and pointed out that I was new to this country stuff.  Thing were fine.

He had on a shirt that said "If you don't like Trump you probably won't like me" and I didn't have the heart to tell him that he seemed like an ok guy to me. 
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2022, 10:57 AM)Nately120 Wrote: I've never put up a political sign and I can't see myself ever feeling so inclined too.  As my old man would say, stuff like that is just "begging for trouble."  Same goes with bumper stickers, I clearly don't mind throwing my dumbass opinions around but to just pseudo-force them on the nonconsenting public like that is too showy for me. 

I was cleaning out the spring up in the woods here last year and I ran into my neighbor for the first time on a four wheeler path that divides the property (it's weird typing this out since my last place of residence was in East Liberty) and he and I had a cordial introduction and I mentioned forgetting if I needed to "open" the foot valve (foot pump?) in the spring and pointed out that I was new to this country stuff.  Thing were fine.

He had on a shirt that said "If you don't like Trump you probably won't like me" and I didn't have the heart to tell him that he seemed like an ok guy to me. 

Yes no yard signs ever.  For a variety of reasons.  

Reply/Quote
(11-09-2022, 11:35 AM)michaelsean Wrote: Yes no yard signs ever.  For a variety of reasons.  

There are folks around here who have had their Trump 2020 signs and flags up until they've rotted away.  One guy down the road has the Trump sign up, but also has one of those charming toilets with the planter in it and he has mini american flags IN the dirt in the planter in the toilet.  I'm not sure if that's particularly respectful, damn it.

An amusing note is an area that are public and has all manner of signs stuck in it has a bunch of left and right wing candidate signs and a black text on white sign that looks like old school printer paper that says LIBERTARIAN THE CHOICE FOR FREEDOM.
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2022, 11:42 AM)Nately120 Wrote: There are folks around here who have had their Trump 2020 signs and flags up until they've rotted away.  One guy down the road has the Trump sign up, but also has one of those charming toilets with the planter in it and he has mini american flags IN the dirt in the planter in the toilet.  I'm not sure if that's particularly respectful, damn it.

An amusing note is an area that are public and has all manner of signs stuck in it has a bunch of left and right wing candidate signs and a black text on white sign that looks like old school printer paper that says LIBERTARIAN THE CHOICE FOR FREEDOM.

Well in that guy’s defense, the 2020 election is still too close to call.

And apparently nobody donates money to libertarians. LOL

Reply/Quote
Wow. Just had a wild discussion with a Bengals fan(Ray) that I hadn't seen since before lockdown that this story kind of reflects this thought process. Not with the violence and murder, but with the inability to reason with someone.

I've always known Ray is a Conservative and so is his good friend Jerry, a retired Dentist. I mentioned Jerry and asked if he had heard from him because I got inundated with Pro-Trump texts and memes from him and then tons of long, psychotic anti-Fauci rants before the inevitable **** Joe Biden flag pics. And then . . . nothing for five or six months. I sent a text to see how's he doing and a Samoan dude answered back saying he got this new phone a week ago and he had no idea who Jerry was.

Ray kind of rolled his eyes and went on to explain how Jerry wanted to send his grandson to a Christian school but his daughter said no and Jerry wanted to know what he thought about it. Ray, who spent five of our 15 minutes together talking about how great Trump is and how much better off the country was under Trump . . . IS NOT MAGA ENOUGH. Ray said that he wouldn't want to be living under the beliefs of his Grandfather especially since most of what his Grandfather knew and understood about his world most likely would have little use in this modern world that he never experienced. Jerry hung up and then sent him a text saying that he no longer considers him a friend.

The look of shock on Ray's face when he told me that was pretty saddening. They've taken several family vacations together and for years, when Jerry flew to visit his daughter in Florida for most of the Winter, Ray would drive to Jerry's house, 15 miles away, three times a week, just to water the plants. All thrown away just because he didn't line up exactly with Jerry's beliefs. If Ray is too Liberal for Jerry's friendship, I think it's safe to say that I didn't ask for Jerry's new number.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2022, 12:12 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: Wow. Just had a wild discussion with a Bengals fan(Ray) that I hadn't seen since before lockdown that this story kind of reflects this thought process. Not with the violence and murder, but with the inability to reason with someone.

I've always known Ray is a Conservative and so is his good friend Jerry, a retired Dentist. I mentioned Jerry and asked if he had heard from him because I got inundated with Pro-Trump texts and memes from him and then tons of long, psychotic anti-Fauci rants before the inevitable **** Joe Biden flag pics. And then . . . nothing for five or six months. I sent a text to see how's he doing and a Samoan dude answered back saying he got this new phone a week ago and he had no idea who Jerry was.

Ray kind of rolled his eyes and went on to explain how Jerry wanted to send his grandson to a Christian school but his daughter said no and Jerry wanted to know what he thought about it. Ray, who spent five of our 15 minutes together talking about how great Trump is and how much better off the country was under Trump . . . IS NOT MAGA ENOUGH. Ray said that he wouldn't want to be living under the beliefs of his Grandfather especially since most of what his Grandfather knew and understood about his world most likely would have little use in this modern world that he never experienced. Jerry hung up and then sent him a text saying that he no longer considers him a friend.

The look of shock on Ray's face when he told me that was pretty saddening. They've taken several family vacations together and for years, when Jerry flew to visit his daughter in Florida for most of the Winter, Ray would drive to Jerry's house, 15 miles away, three times a week, just to water the plants. All thrown away just because he didn't line up exactly with Jerry's beliefs. If Ray is too Liberal for Jerry's friendship, I think it's safe to say that I didn't ask for Jerry's new number.

Crazy that people literally hate each other over this stuff, and it's to the point where you have to fall in step line by line to qualify.  

Reply/Quote
Maybe we need to start testing the water and soil out there in Butler county. Something may be damaging the collective IQ.

https://www.fox19.com/2022/11/09/butler-county-auditor-re-elected-despite-corruption-charges/

I really don't get it with Republican voters. Party over country 100%.
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2022, 12:38 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Crazy that people literally hate each other over this stuff, and it's to the point where you have to fall in step line by line to qualify.  

It's happened here in Canada too.

People (and in particular, 3 people I know, one of whom is a family with 3 kids) have literally moved their entire lives from Ontario to Alberta (Canada's Red State), to escape the, "woke left province."

Our Premier (same as your governors) has been PC (conservative, our Republicans) for the past 4+ years and was re-elected for another 4 years, in June.

The family has 0 roots and/or anything to do with Alberta (which is approx. a 5 hour+ flight from Ontario), while 1 of the other people has completely cut off their family, due to differing political beliefs.

The other one (far and away the most-intelligent, level-headed and nice {and best-looking, lol} of the three people) still keeps in contact with her family and hasn't cut people off and I actually had a back and forth on Messenger with her, about a month ago, where politics wasn't brought up by either of us.

The shittiness of many things is continuing to slowly make its way up here...
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
I had computer problems at my office 50 miles away from home so I put in an over nighter and about 15 minutes before the kickoff to the Bengals game last Sunday, I headed down to the sports bar to say hello to Ray for the first time in over two years. I wanted to talk about our wild ride with the Bengals before heading back to my office and watching the Bengals game later on the NFL Plus replay. Like I stated, I hadn't seen Ray since before lockdown . . . which means the last time we saw each other, Andy Dalton was the starting QB and Joe Burrow and Ja'Marr Chase were only SEC Champions at this point. I had yet to see one full game of Joe Burrow playing football, and when we spoke, we never mentioned the Bengals because his story about Jerry just took over our entire 15 minutes. We were in the dining room section of the sports bar and he said that Jerry is over in the bar if I want to go talk to him. Ray said his only interaction with him now is SOMETIMES they'll kind of nod to each other passing in the Men's room at that one sports bar, but most of the time Jerry just looks past him.

When I chuckled at Ray's suggestion to go to the bar to go talk to him if I wanted, I gave myself a pass in this case as I normally try not to let people's politics get in my way of having normal face to face conversations. I always say "You're not letting my politics get in the way of us having a good conversation, you're letting YOUR politics get in the way." I have three other board members for our radio station that completely understand this. Two are hard core MAGA, the other is an Independent leaning right, I'm the Independent leaning left and we all get along great because when I come over, OAN, Newsmax and Fox News gets put on hold and we either watch documentaries(they are massively into outer space), cartoons like Archer, Rick and Morty and since they've grown weed for a couple of decades, we watch the **** out of South Park's Tegridy Farms episodes.

Most of the time, though, we're just smoking weed, listening to our favorite tunes while talking about old concerts, the first time we heard ____ and our favorite albums growing up. We're all still friends because we focus on what we like together, not on what we disagree on. It's a shame that people like Jerry won't allow themselves to see things that way.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2022, 12:12 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: The look of shock on Ray's face when he told me that was pretty saddening. They've taken several family vacations together and for years, when Jerry flew to visit his daughter in Florida for most of the Winter, Ray would drive to Jerry's house, 15 miles away, three times a week, just to water the plants. All thrown away just because he didn't line up exactly with Jerry's beliefs. If Ray is too Liberal for Jerry's friendship, I think it's safe to say that I didn't ask for Jerry's new number.

I've got a bit of sharing along those lines myself.

I used to have this ritual whenever I would go back to my "hometown" in Mt, Crow Agency.

There are three brothers there, one of whom was the best man at my wedding 45 years ago and a college roommate. 
They were close and operated a local business together, inherited from their parents. So I've known them well over 50 years. 
Their mother was active in the county dem politics. I got on well with her back in the day.

Anyway, whenever I came back, we would all have lunch together at the trading post across the road from
Custer Battlefield. 

Last summer I was back in MT and texted them that I would be in Crow in a couple days, so let's go for lunch.

One never responded. Another asked that I just come to his home, no explanation, and the third, my best man, sent me a long
text explaining that the other two were no longer talking to him because he was full on Trump. He listed some
reasons why he didn't like the direction of the country under "liberals" and said he understand if I didn't want to
see him (he knows my politics; they used to be his too, and his mom's).

Well, I still considered him a good buddy, for whom I had only good memories. We did have lunch. And I listened
to his reasons for believing Trump really won. They were easy to discredit. But I just nodded. I asked him
some questions about his business and his kids. We parted still friends. 

I went to see the other brother. We had coffee and talked about local politics (he's on the local water board). Nothing
about the rift between the brothers. Anyway, I found these interactions really depressing, nothing like when we were 
all joking together over burgers, like going back home and finding a good buddy had died.  My impression was they were all
very depressed over this broken state of affairs, and had been for at least a year.
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2022, 06:23 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: I had computer problems at my office 50 miles away from home so I put in an over nighter and about 15 minutes before the kickoff to the Bengals game last Sunday, I headed down to the sports bar to say hello to Ray for the first time in over two years. I wanted to talk about our wild ride with the Bengals before heading back to my office and watching the Bengals game later on the NFL Plus replay. Like I stated, I hadn't seen Ray since before lockdown . . . which means the last time we saw each other, Andy Dalton was the starting QB and Joe Burrow and Ja'Marr Chase were only SEC Champions at this point. I had yet to see one full game of Joe Burrow playing football, and when we spoke, we never mentioned the Bengals because his story about Jerry just took over our entire 15 minutes. We were in the dining room section of the sports bar and he said that Jerry is over in the bar if I want to go talk to him. Ray said his only interaction with him now is SOMETIMES they'll kind of nod to each other passing in the Men's room at that one sports bar, but most of the time Jerry just looks past him.

When I chuckled at Ray's suggestion to go to the bar to go talk to him if I wanted, I gave myself a pass in this case as I normally try not to let people's politics get in my way of having normal face to face conversations. I always say "You're not letting my politics get in the way of us having a good conversation, you're letting YOUR politics get in the way." I have three other board members for our radio station that completely understand this. Two are hard core MAGA, the other is an Independent leaning right, I'm the Independent leaning left and we all get along great because when I come over, OAN, Newsmax and Fox News gets put on hold and we either watch documentaries(they are massively into outer space), cartoons like Archer, Rick and Morty and since they've grown weed for a couple of decades, we watch the **** out of South Park's Tegridy Farms episodes.

Most of the time, though, we're just smoking weed, listening to our favorite tunes while talking about old concerts, the first time we heard ____ and our favorite albums growing up. We're all still friends because we focus on what we like together, not on what we disagree on. It's a shame that people like Jerry won't allow themselves to see things that way.

My best friend, college roommate and we were each other's best man at our respective weddings is very conservative.  We meet regularly for dinner with another college friend that he went to HS with who is even MORE conservative.  We eat, talk about our families and jobs, discuss the Steelers problems and then end up talking politics for a couple hours.  And then we shake hands, hug and go to our homes knowing we had a good discussion and that neither of us hates the other because of the political leanings.

Now, let me add that neither is a racist or displays the hate I see in many on the right when they "talk politics" or I couldn't talk about it all with them.

I have other friends, that I made more recently, who are very extreme republicans.  What they post and say on social media is hard to even read sometimes.  But we don't "hang out" and when we do see each other we talk about the things we have in common and shake hands and move on.

You can get along with people and still disagree with them.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Warning: Reading signatures may hurt your feelings.
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2022, 10:38 AM)michaelsean Wrote: Never ever discuss politics with neighbors.  I don't have any insane ones that would kill you, but there's no upside.

Very true, especially for moderates like myself. Both sides equally despise us.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote