Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Butler County Ohio Man Killed over politics
(11-14-2022, 12:09 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I don't understand people who put up yard signs. Why do you want everyone walking to know your political beliefs?

I had a new furnace put in back in 2020 and the installer said "And would you agree to put a yard sign up showing your appreciation today?" or something like that. I thought it was really weird because, while I've seen other companies put up yard signs like "this company did my landscaping" or "this company did my roofing," those yard signs are generally for companies that do work on the outside of your house and thus are an advertisement if someone walking by likes your landscaping or whatever. That doesn't apply to a furnace. But I just decided it wasn't worth denying him and I could just remove it once he left.

This ***** guy put a "We support our troops" sign in my yard.

I have no real problem with the troops. It's not like I wish them ill will or anything. The vast majority of them are just people trying to get an education and living for them and their families. But I have absolutely no interest in having a yard sign that proudly states I support them. That language has been heavily co-opted by the right, so I just took it down immediately because I didn't want my neighbors thinking I was a conservative haha.

I think the assumption they made is ridiculous.  You could not want that sign for a myriad of reasons.  If you live in Cincinnati, was it HELP?  They babble on about the troops on all their commercials.  I'm a big believer in the Bible story where Jesus said to do your stuff in private.  Don't be standing on the corner displaying how awesome you are.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I could see why a local business would want to put signs and banners up that promote the popular candidate. A small bar in my hometown had a TRUMP THAT ***** banner outside of it during the 2016 election cycle. They also had a banner asking people to vote to stop Sheetz from selling beer, because I guess my freedom to buy beer somewhere other than their shitty bar is a freedom that just goes too far.

It's also a bit funny in a sad way when small businesses simp hard for GOP politicians who are determined to give massive tax breaks to the corporations that are putting them out of business. I sell paint and I vote republican, because they'll cut my taxes and REALLY cut the taxes of Sam Walton's family so they can better put me out of business. Oof.
Reply/Quote
(11-14-2022, 12:50 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I think the assumption they made is ridiculous.  You could not want that sign for a myriad of reasons.  If you live in Cincinnati, was it HELP?  They babble on about the troops on all their commercials.  I'm a big believer in the Bible story where Jesus said to do your stuff in private.  Don't be standing on the corner displaying how awesome you are.

It was absolutely HELP. You nailed it.
Reply/Quote
(11-14-2022, 12:09 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I don't understand people who put up yard signs. Why do you want everyone walking to know your political beliefs?

I had a new furnace put in back in 2020 and the installer said "And would you agree to put a yard sign up showing your appreciation today?" or something like that. I thought it was really weird because, while I've seen other companies put up yard signs like "this company did my landscaping" or "this company did my roofing," those yard signs are generally for companies that do work on the outside of your house and thus are an advertisement if someone walking by likes your landscaping or whatever. That doesn't apply to a furnace. But I just decided it wasn't worth denying him and I could just remove it once he left.

I have no real problem with the troops. It's not like I wish them ill will or anything. The vast majority of them are just people trying to get an education and living for them and their families. But I have absolutely no interest in having a yard sign that proudly states I support them. That language has been heavily co-opted by the right, so I just took it down immediately because I didn't want my neighbors thinking I was a conservative haha.

The issue in your case is that you did not authorize a "We support our troops sign." 

He used your permission to advertise his business, which I think was a perfectly legitimate ask,

to piggyback his own personal message onto your lawn.

I "support the troops" too, but this is in essence no different from putting a "jesus saves" or "Trump 2024" sign

on YOUR lawn via misrepresentation. 
Reply/Quote
(11-14-2022, 02:13 PM)Dill Wrote: The issue in your case is that you did not authorize a "We support our troops sign." 

He used your permission to advertise his business, which I think was a perfectly legitimate ask,

to piggyback his own personal message onto your lawn.

I "support the troops" too, but this is in essence no different from putting a "jesus saves" or "Trump 2024" sign

on YOUR lawn via misrepresentation. 

Yea, if he put up a sign like "HELP installed my brand new furnace!" or something like that I wouldn't have minded. The sign having nothing to do with the company is what threw me for a loop haha.
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2022, 01:05 AM)pally Wrote: We can always find individuals on each side that hate the other side for a variety of reasons. And there is a serious lack of empathy going around on all sides.
But only one side has made it a mission to destroy the other side and that is the right? The left wants conservatism to go away. But the right wants liberals to go away. The people not the politics. The constant barrage of hate coming from right wing media drives itself into the brains of vulnerable or susceptible people. They aren’t being told your neighbor disagrees with you. They are being told that their neighbors are unAmerican, that they are the enemy, they are not Christian, that they are taking away YOUR country. They are being told that people who disagree with you politically don’t deserve to be here. They are told it’s their job to “own the libs”. The rhetoric is dangerous and must stop. It is ok to disagree. And frankly it is ok not to understand where the other side is coming from. I will freely admit I have never seen the attraction of Donald Trump and will never understand why anyone still supports him. But that doesn’t mean I hate that person who does so.

Not intending to get people riled up, (but I know this post will probably anger some), but observations came to me last week.

With Theoren Fleury and Jamie Sale (look them up, if you are unaware of whom they are) running rampant on Twitter, my wife asked me why they think they way they do...

… to which I replied, "hell if I know, I'm not in their brains," but I did point out one thing in common that I have recently realized, that they and the overwhelming majority of the right (all over the world, not just in the USA or NA), are all just assholes. Big, loud, oftentimes classless, just assholes. Rude people, nasty people.

The left may be all granola and radical ideas, but at least people are nice, down to Earth, TOLERANT people. You won't see the left attempt to ransack a government building or occupy a city and torment citizens for weeks, severely affecting their QoL (for the worse).

The right are just assholes, right or wrong, intelligent or stupid, hardworking or lazy, etc., etc., they all have shitty attitudes.

Of course, there are exceptions (absolutely nothing is black and white and George W. Bush, for example, I would hardly call an asshole at all, while Kamala Harris I absolutely WOULD call an asshole lol) and even on the left, not everyone is tolerant and decent, but the left seemingly looks to compromise and work together for bettering the lives of many and for the greater good, while the right is all about greed, selfishness and just all-around stirring up anger.

Anger, outrage, being an asshole, these are seemingly all badges of honour for the right and if you don't speak your mind and attack with your words (or with physicality), you're a snowflake, "woke person on the left," which is just more inflammatory and assholeish behaviour.

Trump, DeSantis, Cruz, Polievre, Johnson, Meloni, these are all MASSIVE assholes. Loathsome people, whether they are good at what they do or not.

Biden, AOC, Obama, Trudeau, Ardern, Store, while, "weak, snowflakes, bumbling, stupid, etc.," are tolerant, level-headed and (at least, in the public eye) attempt to do what is best for their people, whether they are good at what they do or not.

Can't stress enough that this IS a generalization and there are exceptions, but this is what I've observed from the majority of both sides of the spectrum.

FTR, I align slightly left of center; sometimes you need a bit of asshole to go with your tolerance Wink (essence of Ying and Yang)

(11-13-2022, 01:17 AM)samhain Wrote: I straight up forgot that Romney ran for president.  I hate to google it and double check.  

[Image: tumblr_mc0lwdHHNQ1rg2rf7o1_500.gif]

Tribalism and, "my team!"

People want to be seen/known as winners and, "being the good guys," with like-minded people.

That's all.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-14-2022, 06:03 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Not intending to get people riled up, (but I know this post will probably anger some), but observations came to me last week.

With Theoren Fleury and Jamie Sale (look them up, if you are unaware of whom they are) running rampant on Twitter, my wife asked me why they think they way they do...

… to which I replied, "hell if I know, I'm not in their brains," but I did point out one thing in common that I have recently realized, that they and the overwhelming majority of the right (all over the world, not just in the USA or NA), are all just assholes. Big, loud, oftentimes classless, just assholes. Rude people, nasty people.

The left may be all granola and radical ideas, but at least people are nice, down to Earth, TOLERANT people. You won't see the left attempt to ransack a government building or occupy a city and torment citizens for weeks, severely affecting their QoL (for the worse).

The right are just assholes, right or wrong, intelligent or stupid, hardworking or lazy, etc., etc., they all have shitty attitudes.

Of course, there are exceptions (absolutely nothing is black and white and George W. Bush, for example, I would hardly call an asshole at all, while Kamala Harris I absolutely WOULD call an asshole lol) and even on the left, not everyone is tolerant and decent, but the left seemingly looks to compromise and work together for bettering the lives of many and for the greater good, while the right is all about greed, selfishness and just all-around stirring up anger.

Anger, outrage, being an asshole, these are seemingly all badges of honour for the right and if you don't speak your mind and attack with your words (or with physicality), you're a snowflake, "woke person on the left," which is just more inflammatory and assholeish behaviour.

Trump, DeSantis, Cruz, Polievre, Johnson, Meloni, these are all MASSIVE assholes. Loathsome people, whether they are good at what they do or not.

Biden, AOC, Obama, Trudeau, Ardern, Store, while, "weak, snowflakes, bumbling, stupid, etc.," are tolerant, level-headed and (at least, in the public eye) attempt to do what is best for their people, whether they are good at what they do or not.

Can't stress enough that this IS a generalization and there are exceptions, but this is what I've observed from the majority of both sides of the spectrum.

FTR, I align slightly left of center; sometimes you need a bit of asshole to go with your tolerance Wink (essence of Ying and Yang)

[Image: tumblr_mc0lwdHHNQ1rg2rf7o1_500.gif]

Tribalism and, "my team!"

People want to be seen/known as winners and, "being the good guys," with like-minded people.

That's all.
You won't see the left attempt to occupy a city?  Seattle ring any bells?  And saying everyone on the right is an asshole with shitty attitudes makes your comment that the left is tolerant rather comical.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(11-14-2022, 12:09 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I don't understand people who put up yard signs. Why do you want everyone walking to know your political beliefs?

Where my radio station is located, it is VERY MAGA and they have a way of making comments or asking questions early in meeting someone for the first time to see where your political affiliations lie so they can decide early on if you're worth their association. Out of nowhere, you'll get something like "My aunt had a medical issue that none of the Drs could figure out but she watched ____ _____ every weekend on OAN. She followed their advice and now she's cured! Sure enough. As soon as someone starts exposing Fauci's lies, they shut them down!" Your reaction to crazy shit like that tells them everything they need to know going forward.

Some people are stuck in this life of "Conservative in the streets but a Liberal in the sheets". I needed to have a computer repaired and shared an office with another radio station. They recommended a local guy that works out of his garage. He said that he could fix it, but he wanted to make it perfectly clear that he only works Monday through Friday. DO NOT BOTHER ME ON MY WEEKEND. I told him that I had to run my Mom to a bunch of Drs appointments that week and couldn't come back out until Saturday around noon-ish to pick it up. I asked if I paid in advance if he could just set it front of his garage in the tote that I'll bring with the computer when I drop it off. He said fine as long as I call when I leave my office to remind him to put it out front.

When I called, he sounded different. I told him that I was on my way and that I'd be there in 15 minutes. He must have gotten sidetracked after my call because when I pulled in the driveway, no tote. I went to the front door, knocked and heard "OH SHIT!!!" and a bunch of scrambling. "BE THERE IN A MINUTE!!!" After a couple of minutes, he opened the door in a stocking cap, a robe pulled closed with one hand up to his neck and had most of his signs of his upcoming drag queen weekend makeup wiped away. The reason his voice sounded different was because he was mentally in queen mode and had his lips kind of all crunched up almost in that stupid duck lips pose that girls do in photos.

None of my business, live your life as you want but, living where he lives, his career is done if word gets out. As the years went by, the station I shared an office with was sold to someone else. When they started doing facebook ads with a line in there that said "and all of the news that you want to hear". He commented with "Are Biden, Harris and Pelosi DEAD? Because that's the news that I want to hear!" Recognizing him, I clicked on his page and it's all uber macho, anti-gay laced propaganda filled post after post after post. Most of them are dumb but he has to put up a front. Stuff like "Hey, Libs. Wanna know the definition of a man? If you don't need to wear a wig" with the occasional hint of reality thrown in there once in awhile. Most of the hints will be locked into the comments "I am the one your parents warned you about" or "Nobody likes strangers but if they only knew how much stranger I am".

I only directly know of him, but I wonder how many publicly ultra MAGA types are a front? About a decade ago, I worked with two gay guys when I worked produce and when the Bryan Adams song Run To You came on the overhead Muzak, they both chuckled because they knew that I was involved with radio and then told me that it was a gay anthem. I asked how because Bryan Adams isn't gay and they said "Nowhere in that song does he declare that he is singing to a woman. When you have these rich Republican businessmen(their words) cheating on their wives with men from the gay bars and then hear this song, it takes on a whole new meaning."

Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
Vaguely familiar with that song... But I get it now...

"

She says her love for me could never die
But that'd change if she ever found out about you and I
Oh but her love is cold
Wouldn't hurt her if she didn't know, 'cause
When it gets too much
I need to feel your touch
I'm gonna run to you
I'm gonna run to you
'Cause when the feelin's right I'm gonna run all night
I'm gonna run to you
She's got a heart of gold, she'd never let me down
But you're the one that always turns me on
You keep me comin' 'round
I know her love is true
But it's so damn easy makin' love to you
I got my mind made up
I need to feel your touch
I'm gonna run to you
Yeah I'm gonna run to you
'Cause when the feelin's right I'm gonna stay all night
I'm gonna run to you
Oh when the feelin's right I'm gonna run all night
I'm gonna run to you
Oh I'm gonna run to you
'Cause when the feelin's right I'm gonna stay all night
I'm gonna run to you
Oh I'm gonna run to you
Yeah when the feelin's right I'm gonna stay all night
Oh when the feelin's right now
Oh yeah, when the feelin's right now
I'm gonna run to you, oh oh
Yeah I'm gonna run to you, yeah now
Oh I'm gonna to run to you, run to you
Baby, I'm gonna run to you
Oh
Oh, oh, I'm gonna run, run, run right all night now, yeah

"
Reply/Quote
(11-14-2022, 06:43 PM)michaelsean Wrote: You won't see the left attempt to occupy a city?  Seattle ring any bells?  And saying everyone on the right is an asshole with shitty attitudes makes your comment that the left is tolerant rather comical.

Yeah, I kind of winced when I read that. I didn't think much about it when it happened, I just figured that it was kind of like a more televised version of the Bundy's taking over that office in Oregon or was it in Idaho? I can't remember. And then it was like "OK, so what's your game plan here?" and shortly after that it was, "This was stupid & pointless and only going to come back to bite you idiots in the ass."  It's often brought up in Jan 6 defenses. It even gave Homeland Security the cover to attempt to manufacture fake terrorists for Trump

Quote:Sen. Ron Wyden, a Democrat of Oregon, made the documents public and detailed the findings of the previously undisclosed attempt by Trump’s acting secretary of homeland security, Chad Wolf.  Wolf is accused of trying to amass secret dossiers on Americans in Portland attending anti-racism protests for George Floyd in the summer of 2020.

The report lists top officials who tried to link protesters to an imaginary terrorist plot in what was likely an effort to boost Trump’s reelection odds, which now raises concerns about the ability of a sitting president to co-opt billions of dollars worth of domestic intelligence assets for their political gain.
And your last line reminds me of a great George Carlin line, paraphrasing here . . . "Everyone should all get along and show peace, love and respect to all life and especially to one another. And for those that can't follow these rules, take them out into a field and shoot the mother****er."
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(11-14-2022, 06:43 PM)michaelsean Wrote: You won't see the left attempt to occupy a city?  Seattle ring any bells?  And saying everyone on the right is an asshole with shitty attitudes makes your comment that the left is tolerant rather comical.

I don't know anything about Seattle, but from what I just looked up right now, it was 6 blocks? Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's nothing lol, ESPECIALLY in a city the size of Seattle. Ottawa (the occupation I was referring to) is 1,400 sq. miles smaller than Seattle and 1.4 million people, vs 4 million for Seattle.

Furthermore:

1. I was talking about leaders in our governments and around the world, not everyday people. That's on me for not denoting that.
2. This Occupy Seattle thing, were any political leaders there on the ground with the protestors? Not from what I can find. I was referring to the bullshit Trucker Convoy that occupied 16x8 blocks of parliament and residential area. People were defecating in the streets, took their kids out of school and exposed them to said defecation and Pierre Polievre marched with them and supported them.

That's LITERALLY like Trump marching with January 6th people and spending a month with them in DC, at the Capitol, White House, Monuments, etc. I repeat, again, correct me if I'm wrong, but did any prominent Democratic politicians hit the streets with the protestors? 'cause I couldn't find anything from the 2 links I looked at.

At least your cops tried to shut things down. Our cops stood by and did nothing until they were threatened with legislation (that could've ended up with them losing their jobs).
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-15-2022, 02:05 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: I don't know anything about Seattle, but from what I just looked up right now, it was 6 blocks? Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's nothing lol, ESPECIALLY in a city the size of Seattle. Ottawa (the occupation I was referring to) is 1,400 sq. miles smaller than Seattle and 1.4 million people, vs 4 million for Seattle.

Furthermore:

1. I was talking about leaders in our governments and around the world, not everyday people. That's on me for not denoting that.
2. This Occupy Seattle thing, were any political leaders there on the ground with the protestors? Not from what I can find. I was referring to the bullshit Trucker Convoy that occupied 16x8 blocks of parliament and residential area. People were defecating in the streets, took their kids out of school and exposed them to said defecation and Pierre Polievre marched with them and supported them.

That's LITERALLY like Trump marching with January 6th people and spending a month with them in DC, at the Capitol, White House, Monuments, etc. I repeat, again, correct me if I'm wrong, but did any prominent Democratic politicians hit the streets with the protestors? 'cause I couldn't find anything from the 2 links I looked at.

At least your cops tried to shut things down. Our cops stood by and did nothing until they were threatened with legislation (that could've ended up with them losing their jobs).

The “left” in this country automatically get antifa assigned to their roster because they are anti-fascist and everybody knows the fascists are on the right.

Other than that reasoning alone I have no clue, I’m unaware of antifa supporting a politician or using force on behalf of a politician to keep them in power.
Reply/Quote
(11-15-2022, 02:50 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: The “left” in this country automatically get antifa assigned to their roster because they are anti-fascist and everybody knows the fascists are on the right.

Other than that reasoning alone I have no clue, I’m unaware of antifa supporting a politician or using force on behalf of a politician to keep them in power.

. . . or of a politician calling on them to "stand by" as said politician's close friends 

exchange texts with ANTIFA leaders to coordinate demonstrations. 
Reply/Quote

Control of a few square blocks doesn't really count as occupying a city, does it? But in your favor one might add burning down a cop shop in Minneapolis and attempting to occupy one in Portland.  Random, unorganized anger, mostly at a police murder. 

But ALL of that pales beside a white house led attempt to overthrow the government, involving the RNC in 7 states, right? And the angry MAGA pols who loudly supported Trump and defended him and his followers thereafter. We're not talking about some opportunism on the streets of a few cities, but about the leadership of a party in power, busily crafting anti-democratic ways to keep that power. (And now, after the recent midterms, foiled twice as all MAGA secs. of state were defeated in swing states.)

I can see why you might get your back up when generalizations are hung on "the right." In this forum you have not been an asshole
with "shitty attitude."  That's been true of other actual conservatives here as well, including the departed Bfine. Our MAGAs have been regular gentleman too, though occasionally an outsider will pop in to scold us, then disappear. It's been the IiNOs in this forum that dish out the rage.
Reply/Quote
(11-14-2022, 06:03 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: You won't see the left attempt to ransack a government building or occupy a city and torment citizens for weeks, severely affecting their QoL (for the worse).

They literally had a movement called "Occupy" that spread over 29-ish cities that lasted for months. Lol

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(11-22-2022, 03:51 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: They literally had a movement called "Occupy" that spread over 29-ish cities that lasted for months. Lol

What did they "occupy," and why? 
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2022, 11:57 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Yes, because it becomes so easy and tolerant to try and comprehend people who shoot others simply over a political affiliation Rolleyes

Americans are ******, the only nation on the planet where people are this way.

i was talking bout regular folks, not nutjobs who want to kill folks, but the fact you went straight to that kind of shows my point. we cant have an honest talk cause you will just go strait to extremes an keep making yourself seem superior. how can there ever be any progress that way/
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2022, 05:57 PM)Leon Wrote: i was talking bout regular folks, not nutjobs who want to kill folks, but the fact you went straight to that kind of shows my point. we cant have an honest talk cause you will just go strait to extremes an keep making yourself seem superior. how can there ever be any progress that way/

Ida know.  Seems like a lot of regular folks are expecting if not hoping for a civil war.  This stuff is getting pretty mainstream. 
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2022, 08:25 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Ida know.  Seems like a lot of regular folks are expecting if not hoping for a civil war.  This stuff is getting pretty mainstream. 

and thats sad and i dont know how to fix that. but how can it even start to get fixed if we cant even talk to each other an try to figure out differncs an just insult and make fun of each other instead?
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2022, 08:28 PM)Leon Wrote: and thats sad and i dont know how to fix that. but how can it even start to get fixed if we cant even talk to each other an try to figure out differncs an just insult and make fun of each other instead?

I think insulting and making fun of people who disagree politically is pretty tame compared to where things are and where they are going.

I mean, the GOP has gone from "If Mondale is elected, he will raise your taxes" to "If Biden is elected there will be no God."  The ante just keeps being upped as people become more and more acclimated to the drug that is scare-politics.  And yeah, it goes both ways but right now the GOP is just winning the race, as usual.
Reply/Quote