Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
By Sunday Night we need....
(08-30-2019, 09:11 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: True but Kiko is only 29 much younger and less worn down then Harrison, and Hawk

Yes, you're right.  Come to think of it, Alonzo is actually worth his contract.  I wouldn't mind if the Bengals traded for him, and kept his current deal. (2 seasons remaining)
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2019, 06:34 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Funny how those were the two weakest areas last season, then also going into free agency, then also going into the draft and now at the end of pre-season, they are still the two weakest areas.

Here we are a week away from the season opener and we are hoping, by some miracle or something, that we'll be able to shore up those two areas from rejects from other teams.

Our front office sure is on the job.  Sarcasm

I think most of us are concerned about OL and LB. Hoping they surprise us in Seattle. The last pregame our starters played wasn't horrible. There were some actually nice things going on. I hope we have the right ingredients to bring to the table. 

Reply/Quote
If the offensive line can run block even passably well the Bengals might stand a chance against Seattle. Since 2003 Cincinnati has gone 3-1 against the Seahawks with the only loss taking place in 2007 in Seattle.
Reply/Quote
The Raiders signed Marshall hoping that he had gotten over the injuries that had struck him has a Denver Bronco. Instead, his pass coverage has continued to slide, and his play just hasn’t been worth the $1,000,000 he’s taken up in cap space. The former Super Bowl champion will face an uphill climb looking for a new roster spot in the NFL.
Reply/Quote
The good news
The last time Preston Brown played when his weight was down was in 2017 and all he did that year was lead the NFL in tacklels and he had a personal best 7 TFL.

Nick Vigil was on pace for a major break out season last year before he got hurt against the Steelers. At the time of his injury he was on pace for 131 solo Tackles and 12 TFL. He was also leading the NFL in run stops according to PFF with 15. He was also in the top 10 of run stop percentage and one of 9 LBers who played 50% of snaps without giving up a passing TD.

The Bengals offensive line was actually good in pass protection ;Hopkins was #1 in pass protection with a 90 grade according to PFF this preseason.

The bad news
The lB core probably won't make a bunch of splash plays for us. Would be nice to have that for this Defense. Probably the only thing really missing for the unit as a whole.
The offensive line can't run block worth shit.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2019, 11:45 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: The Raiders signed Marshall hoping that he had gotten over the injuries that had struck him has a Denver Bronco. Instead, his pass coverage has continued to slide, and his play just hasn’t been worth the $1,000,000 he’s taken up in cap space. The former Super Bowl champion will face an uphill climb looking for a new roster spot in the NFL.

Yeah I just saw he got cut. At 35 I think he's done unfortunately. 

Reply/Quote
(08-30-2019, 12:34 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Hart has improved significantly since last season. Don't act like he is the same player and some scrap heap player can come in push Hart out of a job. Pretty crazy. Hart was even better than Glenn overall last season. Glenn is a cupcake when run blocking, softest giant I have ever seen. Andre Smith is probably better for us at LT, at least in the run blocking department he definitely is.

All for bringing in depth on the O-line and at LB though, that is for sure.

Glenn did post a pretty good pass protection ranking on PFF this preseason in his limited action, and the run blocking is also a factor of running three very basic rushing plays the entire preseason.  ZT has taken very seriously this "show nothing" mentality, and I still expect the Bengals to be a team that rushes the ball a great deal.

What will opposing teams do when they don't know EXACTLY what is coming by our personnel and formation?  Hopefully, lose.  
Reply/Quote
JMarcus Webb, let him and Bobby Hart battle it out for RT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2019, 08:36 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Glenn did post a pretty good pass protection ranking on PFF this preseason in his limited action, and the run blocking is also a factor of running three very basic rushing plays the entire preseason.  ZT has taken very seriously this "show nothing" mentality, and I still expect the Bengals to be a team that rushes the ball a great deal.

What will opposing teams do when they don't know EXACTLY what is coming by our personnel and formation?  Hopefully, lose.  

Glenn is a good pass protector that is for sure but his run blocking has always left a lot to be desired.

He needs to suddenly find that edge and play mean. I don't know if this is possible.

Agree though, totally vanilla preseason. Defenses won't know what is coming.
Reply/Quote