Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
By the numbers: Chase Claypool
He has been compared to Myles Boykin because they both have decent size and both were coming out of ND.  Boykin was drafted in the 3rd round by the Ravens and had a minimal impact at Baltimore but did play in 16 games:  13 receptions, 198 yards, 3 TDs.

I think a better comparison for Claypool is....(going to get killed for this one):  Calvin Johnson.

Here are some comparisons:

Claypool                Johnson  

Height:                6'4"                        6'5"

Weight:                238                       239

Arms:                   32.5" *                   36"(!)

Hands:               9 and 7/8              9 and 3/4

*Although his arms seem substantially shorter, he does have an 80" (6'8") wingspan

And the testing:

40 yard dash:        4.42                      4.35

Bench 225:             19                        N/A

Vertical:                 40.5                     42.5

Broad Jump:            126"                    139"(!)

I am not saying that Chase Claypool is the next Calvin Johnson, or even Mike Evans (he is actually bigger AND faster than Mike Evans, who doesn't seem to have any problems getting downfield in the NFL), but I love his soft hands and his competitive streak.  He wins battles at the catch point, and has very soft, reliable hands.  

He got on the field as a true freshman at ND, but as a special teamer. He led the team that year in special teams tackles with 11 and punt return tackles with 8.   He had 5 receptions for 81 yards in limited action his freshman year.

This guy is a bully.  He will not be pushed around.  He can win contested catches and he can burn people with his long speed.  I see no weaknesses in his game at all.  I think he will be drafted in the 2nd round but I could see a team like the Raiders taking him in Rd 1.  Some NFL team has to be seeing this.  Places where he is projected as a 3rd rounder, I just don't understand.   He is an outstanding blocker as well.

I would love for this guy to be our Rd 2 selection and I fear if we trade back in Rd 2, we will lose him to Detroit who might see the comparison to Calvin Johnson.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote